Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » First & Second Generations

First & Second Generations Discuss the first and second generation games: Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Pika57 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to Pika57 Send a message via AIM to Pika57 Send a message via MSN to Pika57 Send a message via Yahoo to Pika57
Default Impossible to obtain Shiny Females of 7:1 Pokemon in GSC?

I've been messing around with my old Silver version with a Gameshark lately, and was wondering how to make Shiny Female Pokemon (The only code I could find was designed to only return male Pokemon). I was aware that IVs were used to determine both Shininess and Gender in GSC, so I looked up how exactly IVs decided these characteristics. I eventually found the data as I was looking for on Bulbapedia (much of this information can be found in the Shiny thread at the top of this page). On looking over this data, I noticed that Pokemon whose genders are 7 males to 1 female (starters and other Pokemon that are 'gifted' to the player, so that breeding is more complicated), would require an Attack IV of 0 or 1. However, for a Pokemon to be Shiny in GSC, its IV's must all be 10s with the exception of attack which must have its second to last digit in its binary representation be 1, which means that the lowest value the Attack IV can be is 2. Thus, it would seem that regardless of the situation, a Female with a species gender ratio of 7 to 1 cannot be shiny in GSC.

Am I wrong about this? It seems like it would be noted somewhere that it is impossible to obtain some of the rarest Pokemon in a game in their shiny form for one gender.

Things I've learned in WAR RPs- War is Hell.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Ayotui
Default Re: Impossible to obtain Shiny Females of 7:1 Pokemon in GSC?

omg nintendo is sexist

URPG VPP
Quote:
BlueJelloJelly (21:16:43): Alex walked into the woods with his trusty Magikarp. Suddenly, OMFG a Porygon-Z appeared! Magikarp used Splash! The Porygon-Z fainted! Alex threw a Pogeyballz and it wobbled like two Diglett at a night club.
Quote:
lord khajmer (20:38:29): Bubble KO gg
Old 08-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Pika57 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to Pika57 Send a message via AIM to Pika57 Send a message via MSN to Pika57 Send a message via Yahoo to Pika57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotui View Post
omg nintendo is sexist
Well we knew that based on the gender determinants alone...

Old 08-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Kendo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Kendo

GASP! Pokemon have 7:1 gender ratios?

I don't exactly understand this (not that females aren't as shiny as males, but the IV talk and what-not), but I think that's weird. The only shiny I've ever seen naturally was a male, but that was in RSE, so I don't think it counts for this...? *is probably getting a little off-topic*
IT'S NOT VALENTINE'S DAY.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Pika57 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
GASP! Pokemon have 7:1 gender ratios?

I don't exactly understand this (not that females aren't as shiny as males, but the IV talk and what-not), but I think that's weird. The only shiny I've ever seen naturally was a male, but that was in RSE, so I don't think it counts for this...? *is probably getting a little off-topic*
Only certain Pokemon have 7 to 1 Gender Ratios. These are typically those that you only get one of in a game. Its basically to limit the ease with which certain rare Pokemon are bread.

Between RSE and GSC a lot was changed about how certain things were determined. In GSC, gender and shinyness were based on the Pokemon's IVs (So a Pokemon traded from RBY could just decide its gender and whether or not it was Shiny as soon as it was traded, since IVs don't change), however, probably because of these inconsistencies (and the gender bias regarding attack) RSE based gender and whether or not something was Shiny on a totally different set of values, which are basically exclusively for those purposes. (Thus a Pokemon's combat ability won't be affected by its gender or what color it is)

Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Abcnonn Offline
Elite Trainer

Question Re: Impossible to obtain Shiny Females of 7:1 Pokemon in GSC?

So, Some pokemon can't be shiny females? I'm lost.

Banner by Sakuya Izayoi
VPPPokesURPG
Closed Thread