Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitania View Post
And this is just stalling the next Ice Age, anyway. It won't really matter when we go extinct.
Another common myth. The next Ice Age isn't due for a few hundred thousand years.

Global Warming certainly is going to do no good for the Earth.



This graph displays the mean global temperature for the past 100+ years as compiled by NASA, and as you can clearly see, the average world temperature is going up.

As for R2D2's graph, the red line (which is the average for the anomalies) is also going up. The temperature anomalies themselves, on average, are going up. The world is warming; this cannot be reasonably disputed, regardless of whether we are contributing or not.

And I believe that it doesn't matter whether we're contributing or not. We have to do everything we can to stop it, as it's threatening our civilization on Earth as we know it. Just because global warming is natural doesn't mean that it won't melt our ice caps, cause sea levels to rise and force billions of people to relocate farther inland, wreak havoc with ocean currents and cause massive climactic shifts, causing droughts and floods, blazing hot summers and freezing cold winters.

Just because you didn't cause a problem doesn't mean you don't have to do anything about it.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReclusiveDemon View Post
The Earth is just PMSing right now. That's all.


Good god, I am sick of seeing this.

"THEY MIGHT GO EXTINCT! THEY MIGHT GO EXTINCT! GOD HELP IF THE FLUFFY AND CUTE AND SILLY ANIMALS GO EXTINCT!"

ANIMALS GO EXTINCT. HISTORY SHOWS THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF SPECIES THAT HAVE GONE EXTINCT. IT HAPPENS. THE EARTH CHANGES AND THE ANIMALS THAT CAN'T SURVIVE ARE PHASED OUT.
Oh yeah, the polar bears are starving to death and getting stuck on floating pieces of ice, well that's too effing bad.

Look, we're the dominant species on the planet, the only totally sentient ones, and the most powerful ones in general. Therefore we have a responsibility to this planet and the animals we share it with. If the polar bears are dying out and it is in fact our fault, then we should be trying to save them.

@R2: You're officially my new favorite person in the discussion board, what with your science and graphs and logical conclusions...
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Deathspector's Avatar
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hyderabad, India
Posts: 2,641
Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector
Default Re: Global Warming

A point I'd like to make is that being the dominant species at the time doesn't necessarily mean that you're in charge of the health of every other species on the Earth. Lets remember that the dinosaur numbers diminished greatly because of our early ancestors, the rats, and how they would eat the dinosaurs' eggs. Admittedly, that's not the reason – or the only reason – why the dinosaurs died out but it proves my point, I think.

Back onto the topic of Global Warming, now.

We all agree that it's part of the Earth's cycle. Every 10,000 years the Earth hits a peak, reaching a temperature it's never reached. 5,000 years after the peak, the Earth hits an dip, and reaches an all time low. So, we have to understand that we are currently on one of those upward travelling lines, and that we're heading towards the peak.

But we can't put all the blame on the Earth. Because of our increased release of GHGs into the atmosphere, we're speeding up the rise, or possibly rising it higher than it ought to be at the moment.

So in answer to the original question, it's part myth part fact. The myth part is that we're the only reason and that without us the world wouldn't be heating up. The fact is, however, that we're contributing and speeding up the heating process, and endangering lives. Yeah, some people don't give a damn about animals and plants, but we're all co-related and we WILL be affected if every animal and plant dies off. ><
__________________


// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: Global Warming

Last year's thread had something about water vapour actually contributing more to global warming than carbon emissions, but I'm too tired to go dig it up. Therefore we need to remove more animals so that less water vapour is produced. Carbon dioxide is less of an issue. [/bad opinion]

We probably should do something about global warming, but considering that alternative power sources are still more expensive/less efficient than purely burning fuel, I don't see any change happening soon. Take for example driving. We all know driving produces large amounts of CO2. A good remedy would be to use electric cars (cleaner burning fuels still produce CO2, just that it doesn't release anything else other than water and carbon dioxide) but there is zero infrastructure for it. Every time you needed to refuel, you'd have to drive home and charge the batteries since there is nowhere else to charge up your car, and it also takes hours to get a full charge. Batteries also kill the environment too, but that's another story altogether.

We need change, but the world is too stubborn to change.
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Global Warming

It's not a matter of stubbornness, it's a matter of economy. I believe this picture sums it up:



The big companies don't want to be eco-friendly because it's expensive. Many companies across the world are becoming more eco-friendly with things like power and heat-saving technology, but the main reason they're doing this is not to help the environment, it's to save themselves money. Big businesses hardly ever make eco-conscious changes that spend more money than saves unless the law requires it.

However, on a related topic, there's a lot more reason to switch to alternative fuels than only global warming; fossil fuels WILL run out eventually (especially oil), and the sooner and faster we make a shift to alternative fuels, the better off we'll be compared to the rest of the world when petroleum finally does run out. Or, to be politically correct, becomes so expensive it's no longer practical as a fuel source.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 PM
MustangGT's Avatar
MustangGT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,512
Send a message via ICQ to MustangGT Send a message via AIM to MustangGT Send a message via Yahoo to MustangGT
Default Re: Global Warming

Global warming ain't real. The works goes thru temperature fluctuations, we're just on the upswing right now. That's all
__________________
|"MY Money Pit"|

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
Global warming ain't real. The works goes thru temperature fluctuations, we're just on the upswing right now. That's all
A very convincing argument indeed.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-09-2009, 02:51 AM
Professor Geoffrey's Avatar
Professor Geoffrey Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: My laboratory.
Posts: 6,512
Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default Re: Global Warming

I say... global warming is a ploy created by people who want money, so they can sell all of this "eco-friendly" stuff. Last I checked, mercury is toxic to us. Yeah, that's really helping the situation here, considering most of the planet are technologically incompetent. Most things are only "green" because they cost money. So does everything else, but most "green" things can cost more. This excludes products that companies like Terracycle makes; pencil pouches, folders, etc, all made of recycled materials. I say they look tacky, but not everyone can be a fashion critic.

Also; notice how all those TV stations say to conserve energy. You need energy to watch TV and go on the computer. They're hypocrites. Especially Nickelodeon; they have programs like "Let's Just Play!" and "Stop Global Warming" but yet they say to play their anti-global warming games on their website. Hypocrisy much!

In addition some scientists are actually saying that an Ice Age is upon us. Well, will you look at that! THAT makes sense! Notice the following sayings; it's always calmest before the storm. The night is darkest right before the dawn. Maybe it's the hottest before the Ice Age...?
__________________
❒ SINGLE ❒ TAKEN ✔ LAPRAS RIDER
The Professor of Pokémon Elite 2000.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post
I say... global warming is a ploy created by people who want money, so they can sell all of this "eco-friendly" stuff. Last I checked, mercury is toxic to us. Yeah, that's really helping the situation here, considering most of the planet are technologically incompetent. Most things are only "green" because they cost money. So does everything else, but most "green" things can cost more. This excludes products that companies like Terracycle makes; pencil pouches, folders, etc, all made of recycled materials. I say they look tacky, but not everyone can be a fashion critic.

Also; notice how all those TV stations say to conserve energy. You need energy to watch TV and go on the computer. They're hypocrites. Especially Nickelodeon; they have programs like "Let's Just Play!" and "Stop Global Warming" but yet they say to play their anti-global warming games on their website. Hypocrisy much!

In addition some scientists are actually saying that an Ice Age is upon us. Well, will you look at that! THAT makes sense! Notice the following sayings; it's always calmest before the storm. The night is darkest right before the dawn. Maybe it's the hottest before the Ice Age...?
No sane climatologist will ever say that an Ice Age is upon us. If they do, don't believe them.

Most TVs take very little energy compared to things like heating, air conditioning, laundry, etc.

Moreover, many of the "green" things you find will save you money over the long run. Ex. fluorescent light bulbs, Energy-star appliances, etc.

Moreover, your entire argument is flawed, as if global warming really was a ploy by companies, then why the companies the biggest group RESISTING changes to more eco-friendly products? It's companies, and the people that support big business, that are the MOST resistant to the idea of climate change, and if your argument held water, wouldn't it be the exact opposite?
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-09-2009, 04:31 AM
Synester's Avatar
Synester Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: California, USA
Posts: 1,449
Send a message via AIM to Synester
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post
I say... global warming is a ploy created by people who want money, so they can sell all of this "eco-friendly" stuff. Last I checked, mercury is toxic to us. Yeah, that's really helping the situation here, considering most of the planet are technologically incompetent. Most things are only "green" because they cost money. So does everything else, but most "green" things can cost more. This excludes products that companies like Terracycle makes; pencil pouches, folders, etc, all made of recycled materials. I say they look tacky, but not everyone can be a fashion critic.

Also; notice how all those TV stations say to conserve energy. You need energy to watch TV and go on the computer. They're hypocrites. Especially Nickelodeon; they have programs like "Let's Just Play!" and "Stop Global Warming" but yet they say to play their anti-global warming games on their website. Hypocrisy much!

In addition some scientists are actually saying that an Ice Age is upon us. Well, will you look at that! THAT makes sense! Notice the following sayings; it's always calmest before the storm. The night is darkest right before the dawn. Maybe it's the hottest before the Ice Age...?
Not everything green costs money, only some of the super eco friendly stuff.

They're not saying its bad and wrong to watch T.V and get, but to tune down how much you watch and how long you're on the computer. Such as putting your computer into sleep mode if you're away from it for more then 20 mintes. And those games are just for the kids, calm down. Hypocrisy not!

I don't think you were listenting to them correctly, if anything they said in the next hundreds or thousands of years it plausible, not imminent. Do I agree? Highly unlikly. Could it happen? Maybe. We'll never know, wanna know why, because we'll probably be dead by then ;)
__________________
I got infracted for the 4 word rule when the post had 4 words in it...l2count derp.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-09-2009, 04:50 AM
Professor Geoffrey's Avatar
Professor Geoffrey Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: My laboratory.
Posts: 6,512
Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
No sane climatologist will ever say that an Ice Age is upon us. If they do, don't believe them.
Elaborate. Make me believe you.

Quote:
Most TVs take very little energy compared to things like heating, air conditioning, laundry, etc.
True, but leave them plugged in, and they can still rack up energy.
Quote:
Moreover, many of the "green" things you find will save you money over the long run. Ex. fluorescent light bulbs, Energy-star appliances, etc.
True. But those bulbs don't last as long as everyone thinks they do. I've tried them, and used them as much as any normal American would leave them on. Only when I'm in that particular room. They burnt out after a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synester View Post
Not everything green costs money, only some of the super eco friendly stuff.
Everything costs money; maybe not as much for some things. And people mainly say to buy that "super" eco-friendly stuff. I don't see anyone that owns a Terracycle pencil pouch.

Quote:
They're not saying its bad and wrong to watch T.V and get, but to tune down how much you watch and how long you're on the computer. Such as putting your computer into sleep mode if you're away from it for more then 20 mintes. And those games are just for the kids, calm down. Hypocrisy not!
Hypocrisy so. TV stations want money. They tell their viewers to watch less TV, they make less money. My point exactly!

Quote:
I don't think you were listenting to them correctly, if anything they said in the next hundreds or thousands of years it plausible, not imminent. Do I agree? Highly unlikly. Could it happen? Maybe. We'll never know, wanna know why, because we'll probably be dead by then ;)
Probably, probably not. I guess we'll never be sure until it happens. Once that happens, it'll be too late.
__________________
❒ SINGLE ❒ TAKEN ✔ LAPRAS RIDER
The Professor of Pokémon Elite 2000.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Smuds's Avatar
Smuds Offline
Experienced Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In my house, on the earth,
Posts: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Smuds Send a message via AIM to Smuds Send a message via MSN to Smuds Send a message via Yahoo to Smuds
Default Re: Global Warming

I'm not totally good on this subject, well, considering I'm twelve, alot of stuff don't make sence to me. Well, here's what I think (not much but whatever). The Earth is heating. It's going through that period where the temperture goes up, and NO I'm not talking about Summer. There's the Ice ages and the err, hot ages.. We're only helping the problem. I think if we were to pollute this much before this whole thing happened, when Global warming didn't even come into play yet, it wouldn't be that much of an issue. No one would notice it that much. Anyways, is it a threat? Eventually, yes. It will be a threat. But now, no, not so much. Soon, sure, animals will go extinct, but we can't help it. It was going to happen sooner or later. That's what my twelve year old mind thinks...
__________________
=[
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Synester's Avatar
Synester Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: California, USA
Posts: 1,449
Send a message via AIM to Synester
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post


Elaborate. Make me believe you.



True, but leave them plugged in, and they can still rack up energy.

But still not as much as a heating, air conditioning, laundry, etc.


True. But those bulbs don't last as long as everyone thinks they do. I've tried them, and used them as much as any normal American would leave them on. Only when I'm in that particular room. They burnt out after a few months.

Those bulbs can last at least a year :\.


Everything costs money; maybe not as much for some things. And people mainly say to buy that "super" eco-friendly stuff. I don't see anyone that owns a Terracycle pencil pouch.

Sorry, that was typo ^^;.


Hypocrisy so. TV stations want money. They tell their viewers to watch less TV, they make less money. My point exactly!

What?
Probably, probably not. I guess we'll never be sure until it happens. Once that happens, it'll be too late.
Responses in bold :P. It seems to me that you think this is just some big old conspircy :P
__________________
I got infracted for the 4 word rule when the post had 4 words in it...l2count derp.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Steven's Avatar
Steven Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Behind you with a knife
Posts: 1,027
Send a message via AIM to Steven
Default Re: Global Warming

I think people believe they're more significant than they really are.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...s-warming.html

Check that out, I think it means that either global warming is outside of human control, or that martians are also guilty of global warming.

I say people need to stop being so environmental, it'll just drive us into the dark ages again, when we could be making some progress rather than back tracking and covering up our tiny insignificant trail.
__________________
149th Person to join the forums. Does that make me Dragonite?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post
True. But those bulbs don't last as long as everyone thinks they do. I've tried them, and used them as much as any normal American would leave them on. Only when I'm in that particular room. They burnt out after a few months.
Geoffrey say what now? The bulb in the light above me has lasted for a year, and I'm always in this basement so it's on more than most household lights. You must have gotten a low quality one.

Quote:
Everything costs money; maybe not as much for some things. And people mainly say to buy that "super" eco-friendly stuff. I don't see anyone that owns a Terracycle pencil pouch.
I'll one-up you there, I don't use pencil pouches period. I just keep a pen and pencil in my pocket. Therefore I'm not consuming those materials and leaving them for other things or other people.

Quote:
Hypocrisy so. TV stations want money. They tell their viewers to watch less TV, they make less money. My point exactly!
Everyone wants money. They don't say it makes the world go 'round for no reason. And yet people still do things for free, so why shouldn't a television station?

Incidentally, it's not people watching tv that makes TV stations money, it's sponsors. Sponsors choose television stations to advertise on based on ratings. If a viewer sees Nickelodeon or NBC or some other station and promotions of being green or keeping in shape, and makes the decision to do it, it's not just those stations that lose some ratings, it's every station that that viewer watches.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com