Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Global Warming

Didn't see a thread for this that had been posted in this year, so here is the issue again!

Global Warming: Some say it's a myth, others say it's doomsday. What do you think?

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Treeky111 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Treeky111
Default Re: Global Warming

It's neither. I believe Global Warming is a warning. We need to change our ways soon, or many of the Earth's animals like Polar Bears or Penguins or even human will become extinct. But of course, all those idiotic factory owners can't except the fact that their factories which are giving off pollution are causing it. ATTENTION FACTORY OWNERS: You are idiots. Say goodbye to Earth, cause you've pretty much killed it.

No offense to any factory owners here.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

This is difficult. There is much proof that global warming exists, but there is also evidence that it's rubbish. How about we collate information from multiple sources and compare them. As I see it, that's the best way to resolve this issue.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

As far I'm concerned, global warming is less issue than it is a fact. The world is warming: this is an undeniable fact. Glaciers are melting, the seas are getting warmer, summers are getting hotter. HOWEVER, what can be debated is whether humans are the cause of this.

For me, it's pretty clear. Looking at prehistoric data of atmospheric CO2 compared with temperature, there is a direct correlation between CO2 and temperature. Therefore, if we raise the CO2, it follows that the temperature would rise as well.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 08-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I find it odd that people can deny that we're the cause of global warming. True, the earth does go through natural fluctuations of temperature. Twenty thousand years ago part of the world was frozen solid. But that doesn't change simple facts of nature. Fact number one: There's a system which has kept the amount of carbon in the atmosphere in perfect balance for millions of years. Animals release carbon into the air via respiration, and bacteria do so through the decomposition of humans. Plants take in that carbon and use it in photosynthesis.

However, by burning fossil fuels humans are releasing additional carbon dioxide into the air, and because of deforestation the trees, which account for a lot of the CO2 absorbed from the air, are disappearing, resulting in an increased amount of CO2 in the air. Whether this is causing global warming, I'll admit, some might question, but that's still a very, very bad thing.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khajmer View Post
I find it odd that people can deny that we're the cause of global warming. True, the earth does go through natural fluctuations of temperature. Twenty thousand years ago part of the world was frozen solid. But that doesn't change simple facts of nature. Fact number one: There's a system which has kept the amount of carbon in the atmosphere in perfect balance for millions of years. Animals release carbon into the air via respiration, and bacteria do so through the decomposition of humans. Plants take in that carbon and use it in photosynthesis.

However, by burning fossil fuels humans are releasing additional carbon dioxide into the air, and because of deforestation the trees, which account for a lot of the CO2 absorbed from the air, are disappearing, resulting in an increased amount of CO2 in the air. Whether this is causing global warming, I'll admit, some might question, but that's still a very, very bad thing.
That I agree with, and also, carbon dioxide, being a greenhouse gas, can easily trap heat in the Earth, which is said to bring about global warming. It is argued however that the extra carbon dioxide is merely a tiny fraction of the huge amounts of greenhouse gases that are being produced every year. But I wouldn't bet against this little extra being enough to raise the temperature by huge proportions, especially because in nature, a little imbalance can disrupt everything.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:22 AM
fullmetal Offline

Send a message via AIM to fullmetal

In a few sentences here is what I think.

The Earth goes through temperature phases because of its odd tilt. Hot cold hot cold hot cold. Its starting to get into the hot phase, and basically we're just contributing to it, and basically killing the Earth while we do this as well, by pumping unnatural amounts of CO2 into the sky.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Okami-Chan Offline

Send a message via MSN to Okami-Chan

Naw. Well, I guess you could say it exists...
but I don't think of it as the 'global warming' that most other people think about.
Yes, humans are obviously contributing to the problem.
But I think it's just the natural cycle of the Earth that humans just haven't been around long enough to witness.
Of course, I wouldn't disagree that we're making it worse.
That much, I believe, is true. :P

是自由的、飛翔。
Old 08-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
In a few sentences here is what I think.

The Earth goes through temperature phases because of its odd tilt. Hot cold hot cold hot cold. Its starting to get into the hot phase, and basically we're just contributing to it, and basically killing the Earth while we do this as well, by pumping unnatural amounts of CO2 into the sky.
Temperature variations based on the Earth's tilt are easy to calculate and predict. The current warming trend is not due to tilt.

Art Gallery
Old 08-05-2009, 03:20 AM
Pika57 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to Pika57 Send a message via AIM to Pika57 Send a message via MSN to Pika57 Send a message via Yahoo to Pika57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Temperature variations based on the Earth's tilt are easy to calculate and predict. The current warming trend is not due to tilt.
So easy, in fact, that they have a very well known name.

They're called seasons.

Things I've learned in WAR RPs- War is Hell.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:26 AM
fullmetal Offline

Send a message via AIM to fullmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika57 View Post
So easy, in fact, that they have a very well known name.

They're called seasons.
We're on a 23.5 degree tilt every single day of the year sir.

Though the angle measurement does change, I guess what my science teacher told me about global warming is wrong then ._.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:52 AM
Lusitania Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
We're on a 23.5 degree tilt every single day of the year sir.

Though the angle measurement does change, I guess what my science teacher told me about global warming is wrong then ._.
Today's lesson: the high school student is smarter than the science teacher.

But really...I don't believe in global warming. There's things that happen that are completely out of our control, I think this is one of them. We might be contributing to it, but what are we supposed to do? Stop using cars? Stop building houses? Think about what you have to do to stop the problem when you without changing everyday life.

And this is just stalling the next Ice Age, anyway. It won't really matter when we go extinct.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:00 AM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

I remember an article coming out about a year ago about evidence within the Earth that it periodically goes through natural periods of cooling and warming. That's what I believe is happening right now, however we as humans might be speeding up the process and making it significantly more strong with our carbon emissions.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:44 AM
ReclusiveDemon Offline

Send a message via AIM to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via MSN to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via Skype™ to ReclusiveDemon

The Earth is just PMSing right now. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeky111 View Post
or many of the Earth's animals like Polar Bears or Penguins or even human will become extinct
Good god, I am sick of seeing this.

"THEY MIGHT GO EXTINCT! THEY MIGHT GO EXTINCT! GOD HELP IF THE FLUFFY AND CUTE AND SILLY ANIMALS GO EXTINCT!"

ANIMALS GO EXTINCT. HISTORY SHOWS THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF SPECIES THAT HAVE GONE EXTINCT. IT HAPPENS. THE EARTH CHANGES AND THE ANIMALS THAT CAN'T SURVIVE ARE PHASED OUT.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:19 AM
R2D2 Offline
Banned

When considering Global Warming, I like to go right to the raw data: Global Mean Temperature Anomaly

I'll provide a graph:

The biggest anomaly on this graph, 1998, was the result of a major El Nino event. Up until then, the temperature anomaly looks to fluctuate fairly randomly.

Only between 2001 and 2007 does the temperature anomaly look anything out of the ordinary. In fact, the temperature anomaly is currently (during 2008 and 2009) close to 0.

Carbon dioxide release may be bad for the climate: but we cannot simply say that because global temperatures are currently at a high point that there is a continual rising trend.

That same logic was used for housing prices, but that bubble crashed too. We're already beginning to see that global temperature is not continuing its trend up, and this cannot be attributed to a sudden change in emissions.

Currently, we don't understand what's going on. If we care about maintaining the earth's ecology as it currently is, it might be wise to play on the safe side and "Go Green". However, if society as a whole would rather the world evolve into a polluted, technological-driven, consumer society then we are on the right track.

Which is the best world? I have my opinion, but it's just one of many. Both sides have their support, and I tend to think the latter viewpoint has more power to transform the world to their desires (at least in our current capital-driven economy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReclusiveDemon View Post
The Earth is just PMSing right now. That's all.

Good god, I am sick of seeing this.

"THEY MIGHT GO EXTINCT! THEY MIGHT GO EXTINCT! GOD HELP IF THE FLUFFY AND CUTE AND SILLY ANIMALS GO EXTINCT!"

ANIMALS GO EXTINCT. HISTORY SHOWS THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF SPECIES THAT HAVE GONE EXTINCT. IT HAPPENS. THE EARTH CHANGES AND THE ANIMALS THAT CAN'T SURVIVE ARE PHASED OUT.
Yes, animals have historically gone extinct because they are not as "fit to survive" as other species.

But we are the cause of them going instinct currently, and as high functioning creatures, we can choose to let them survive. If enough people care about cute little puppies with watering eyes to change their ways, those cute little puppies actually are evolutionarily fit -- they appeal to the us (the creature at the top of the food chain), and this allows them to survive.

On the other hand, if the majority of people are like you and don't give a damn, then the creatures going instinct are not fit.

That said, genetic diversity might be a wise thing to maintain. Much of our scientific research is done on or influenced by nature. Medicines are often merely a more potent synthetic version of a natural remedy.