Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Azumao Send a message via MSN to Azumao
Default Re: God Or The Big Bang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Stevee View Post
Yeah that's one of the reasons why religion exisits, but not the only reason. Oh religious people do have 1 major purpose in life, to seek and save the lost(though sadly it seems, people nowadays have forgotten that). Hollow happiness? I don't really understand that, could you explain, because I don't think my happiness is hollow?
By hollow happiness, I mean feeling happy and fulfilled due to believing in that superior being, and thinking that you are living for Him/Her, you know the general accomplished feeling that brings about.

I'm just saying that in my opinion, it's hollow, because I don't think it's real. If you're happy by living for something that doesn't exist, then it's not a real happiness. Again, this is all just from my point of view, I'm not saying "GOD DOESN'T EXIST YOU ARE EMPTY" or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khajmer View Post
Who says it necessarily causes emptiness? I don't have a religion and I don't feel empty. Whatever hole not having some higher purpose to follow has left in me is filled with family, friends, and the purposes in life that I've created for myself. Some people may need religion for that space in their heart but I'm fine.
I said it can cause some emptiness. Didn't say it always does. Though it's good that you can find fulfillment without the need to live for someone / something else.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumao View Post
By hollow happiness, I mean feeling happy and fulfilled due to believing in that superior being, and thinking that you are living for Him/Her, you know the general accomplished feeling that brings about.

I'm just saying that in my opinion, it's hollow, because I don't think it's real. If you're happy by living for something that doesn't exist, then it's not a real happiness. Again, this is all just from my point of view, I'm not saying "GOD DOESN'T EXIST YOU ARE EMPTY" or anything.
How is it not real happiness? If you feel happy, then it's real happiness whether it's for something physical and real or something you'll never see or touch. One of the things that makes me truly happy is the feeling that I've got someone watching over me, people who I've lost or people I've never met before but are somehow connected to me. I also find fulfillment in killing computer generated zombies, they aren't real either but it's very relieving letting all of my stress loose on the brain eating bastards.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

The Big Bang, it's the only logical explanation between the two.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
How is it not real happiness? If you feel happy, then it's real happiness whether it's for something physical and real or something you'll never see or touch. One of the things that makes me truly happy is the feeling that I've got someone watching over me, people who I've lost or people I've never met before but are somehow connected to me. I also find fulfillment in killing computer generated zombies, they aren't real either but it's very relieving letting all of my stress loose on the brain eating bastards.
Well I still think happiness based on something false isn't real happiness. It's honestly a matter of opinion. It feels like happiness, but there's no basis: thus the hollowness.

And killing computer zombies is different entirely. It's a video game, and while it's not technically "real", the experience of playing it is real. And you're not basing your entire life on said video game (hopefully).

Plus, we need to draw the line between happiness meaning a long-lasting contentedness, and happiness meaning a brief moment of joy. Personally, even though shooting zombies heals stress, it doesn't produce any long lasting joys. That's just me.

And when I refer to the empty religious happiness, I am indeed referring to that long-lasting content feeling it is supposed to produced, a feeling which I consider to be false.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumao View Post
Well I still think happiness based on something false isn't real happiness. It's honestly a matter of opinion. It feels like happiness, but there's no basis: thus the hollowness.

And killing computer zombies is different entirely. It's a video game, and while it's not technically "real", the experience of playing it is real. And you're not basing your entire life on said video game (hopefully).

Plus, we need to draw the line between happiness meaning a long-lasting contentedness, and happiness meaning a brief moment of joy. Personally, even though shooting zombies heals stress, it doesn't produce any long lasting joys. That's just me.

And when I refer to the empty religious happiness, I am indeed referring to that long-lasting content feeling it is supposed to produced, a feeling which I consider to be false.
It's my only method of releaving stress (by which I mean, video games in general), so yeah, it does create long-lasting happiness. Otherwise, I would be a very large bundle of nerves.

But in reality, who's opinion matters to a person's personal happiness, yours or their's? What influence should your opinion have on how real or fulfilling their happiness is. If it's real to them, then their happiness is real, even if it's not to you.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:40 PM
XaiakuX Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to XaiakuX Send a message via MSN to XaiakuX Send a message via Yahoo to XaiakuX Send a message via Skype™ to XaiakuX

This is Evolution vs Creationism all over again.

Alright, I'm going with Big Bang Theory. Why? It makes more scientific and logical sense. You see, what is God? A man? A woman? An entity? The O' Great Creator of all Things? God has no specific form, therefore it is believed that God is simply a figment in the imaginations for those whom choose to believe in him. Now if God actually existed, why would he let his, essentially, greatest creation become a future apocalyptic wasteland? Did God just get lazy and let Satan take over for the 21st century or something? BLASHPHEMY! I love that word, the declaration that someone has just insulted a god.

Now, The Big Bang Theory, is a theory for a reason, it's not been proven. If it ever were proven, religion would stop existing. We can't have that on an account that It relieves us of a very important freedom, that is freedom of religion. Now, I'll say this, that the Big Bang Theory makes just as much sense to me as God does, but it's just a bit more logical because it supports Darwinism and Evolution, and that is something that I do believe in. Hard to imagine that we came from a single celled organism to grow and evolve to have that beautiful mug you wear today, right? Well you may not know it, but not only have we been evolving since the creation of the Earth, but every day you evolve, not only physically, but mentally, you learn something new every day. It's the most logical explaination for why humans are the dominant species on this planet.

.|.[Linkage].|.[-.Norse God of Chaos.-].|.Best in the World.|.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:09 PM
wingman2086 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onii-San View Post
This is Evolution vs Creationism all over again.

Alright, I'm going with Big Bang Theory. Why? It makes more scientific and logical sense. You see, what is God? A man? A woman? An entity? The O' Great Creator of all Things? God has no specific form, therefore it is believed that God is simply a figment in the imaginations for those whom choose to believe in him. Now if God actually existed, why would he let his, essentially, greatest creation become a future apocalyptic wasteland? Did God just get lazy and let Satan take over for the 21st century or something? BLASHPHEMY! I love that word, the declaration that someone has just insulted a god.

Now, The Big Bang Theory, is a theory for a reason, it's not been proven. If it ever were proven, religion would stop existing. We can't have that on an account that It relieves us of a very important freedom, that is freedom of religion. Now, I'll say this, that the Big Bang Theory makes just as much sense to me as God does, but it's just a bit more logical because it supports Darwinism and Evolution, and that is something that I do believe in. Hard to imagine that we came from a single celled organism to grow and evolve to have that beautiful mug you wear today, right? Well you may not know it, but not only have we been evolving since the creation of the Earth, but every day you evolve, not only physically, but mentally, you learn something new every day. It's the most logical explaination for why humans are the dominant species on this planet.
As a Christian, and a strong believer in God and all that the idea of Christianity encompasses, I don't like the idea of bashing someone else's way of living and beliefs in their life. However, I can shed some light on the subject because it seems that although you may choose to believe however you want to, you can still miss the fine print of a specific belief system. Christianity, is set around the premise that God created humans to have free will, to be able to choose and make their own decisions, to have the ability to think. Basically, we have the ability to devour the Earth on our own, which is what we have done. And he didn't get lazy, we did. I know some things about certain religions get confusing, and if you don't like them that's your choice, but at least become knowledgable about ALL aspects of what your fellow humans choose to accept in their lives!

As for the Big Bang, yes it sounds somewhat logical and scientific and has "some" evidence possibly making it partially true, but from that theory, it was also said that myself, you, and everyone else started walking from out of a pool of goo one day just because we felt like evolving, seems sort of illogical to me lol. Personally (emphasis on the personal) I believe the a combination of things went into play with God leading the orchestra!

email:wingman2086@yahoo.com
Old 07-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
It's my only method of releaving stress (by which I mean, video games in general), so yeah, it does create long-lasting happiness. Otherwise, I would be a very large bundle of nerves.

But in reality, who's opinion matters to a person's personal happiness, yours or their's? What influence should your opinion have on how real or fulfilling their happiness is. If it's real to them, then their happiness is real, even if it's not to you.
Either way, I still have the right to claim that their happiness is fake happiness. I can't make it fact, and it might not be fact, but to ME a fulfillment based on false foundations is hollow and unreal. I'm not going to believe that a Christian's happiness is real, but I'm not going to stop them from believing it.

And we're going off topic, so I suggest we get back on topic. This is about God vs the big bang, not what is happiness.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Cookie Monsta Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie Monsta

I am a religous Muslim, and it breaks my heart to see people not believing in God, but i cant force you to, i just hope you will experience God's presence at one point in your life, i think if the Big Bang theory is true, then God made it happen, we cant prove if God is real untill death, but my greatest fear is dieing to find out our lives on Earth was all and nothing more, where would your thoughts be? wouldnt your concience be cut off?

It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versin View Post
I am a religous Muslim, and it breaks my heart to see people not believing in God, but i cant force you to, i just hope you will experience God's presence at one point in your life, i think if the Big Bang theory is true, then God made it happen, we cant prove if God is real untill death, but my greatest fear is dieing to find out our lives on Earth was all and nothing more, where would your thoughts be? wouldnt your concience be cut off?
Marvelous point. I suppose if you died and there was no God or afterlife, you would just cease to exist. You wouldn't KNOW you were dead, because you'd be...well, dead.

Not insulting your beliefs, but that's another influence on religion, I think. The fear of a meaningless life followed by a empty void that is death. Of course life can be meaningful without a supreme being to impress, but it doesn't have the same effect.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

Quote:
Now if God actually existed, why would he let his, essentially, greatest creation become a future apocalyptic wasteland?
Why wouldn't He? What if He wants to? What if it's a part of His plan?

As for myself, I believe in God.

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the Unabridged Dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." - Professor Edwin Conklin
Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Cookie Monsta Offline

Thats a very wise post Azumao, in Islam, Earth is just a mere test, after death is when life truely begins, and one reason why i believe in God is, this, plants, bugs, animals, the whole shabang, its all too much of a coincidence not to have been created by a creator, i know its out of the question but its like a pocketwatch, it has a plan, design .etc to make the mechanism work flawlessly, a system like that is too smart to have been made naturaly.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Finch Offline
Inazuma

Send a message via Skype™ to Finch

Shame on anyone who decides the Big Bang must be true because it's more logical. Human logic is just that- a purely human concept. We can't logically claim to ever understand the divine, we're too flawed. It's like teaching a rodent to speak.

Science is theory. I'd know, I'm a scientist myself. The only things which can be proven beyond doubt are provable within the confines of the model- so basically, anything mathematical. That's it. You can't "prove" there is no God because of microwave radiation pointing to the Big Bang, nor can you through carbon dating or anthropology.

Basically, religious theories are just as valid as scientific ones, because they hold the same amount of empirical evidence. What we observe and what we model doesn't reflect reality.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
Now, The Big Bang Theory, is a theory for a reason, it's not been proven. If it ever were proven, religion would stop existing.
That is false. Religion will exist for as long as there are things in this world that humans don't understand. And besides that, if they suddenly proved the Big Bang I would still believe in a creator, because I would simply believe that the Big Bang was how he did it. Same as my opinions on evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2086 View Post
but from that theory, it was also said that myself, you, and everyone else started walking from out of a pool of goo one day just because we felt like evolving
I could go into a very long biology lesson on evolution and why that is not what happened, but as Azumao said, we're getting off topic. I'll leave that for when I see an evolution thread (I haven't been active in the Discussion board, so if there is one I'll post there right now).
Old 07-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Cookie Monsta Offline

Technically we cant call God a 'he' since we are only aware of Gods presence.

Closed Thread