Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Giratina Hunter Offline

Send a message via MSN to Giratina Hunter Send a message via Skype™ to Giratina Hunter
Default God Or The Big Bang?

Ok So I dont have a religion, but even the whole "God" thing seems abit unlikly. Because if God created the universe, who made her/him?

The Big bang theory is more reasonable, But there is no point recreating the moment after/before the big bang Because it can create a black hole [even though it wont do anything] (It would still be cool)

So What do you guys/gals think?

And sorry if i offend anybody.

Click the banner to join. First 12 members are able to apply for moderators. Some will be made GloBal Mods. SO JOIN NOW!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron
Default Re: God Or The Big Bang?

im atheist and i dont believe in "god"

but i have studied the big bang theory closely and i believe that its the most logical choice

this thread will start a heated debate @-@
Old 07-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Azumao Send a message via MSN to Azumao

Okay here I go.

First off, I don't like limiting the possibilites to God or the big bang. There really are infinite ways the universe could come to be.

Personally, I'm Agnostic. However, I still have opinions about religion. I don't believe in the Christan God, or any hands-on creator of the universe. To quote House, "either God doesn't exist, or he's unimaginably cruel." That's pretty much my view point.

HOWEVER, I am much more willing to accept god as a concept and not a being. Modern religions give God human-like qualities, such as emotions and desires. "God wants me to do this, God is mad at me for doing that." And so on.

The most accurate way I could describe any kind of God I believe in is God being the miracle of existence and existence itself. I really prefer a more Buddhist approach (at least my interpretation of Buddhism), supposing that whenever a living thing dies, its "soul" returns as a drop into the infinitely large sea of "souls". Of course, I really don't like the term soul, because I don't believe people have souls. We have personalities and thoughts, but there is nothing metaphysical about us. Thoughts, emotions, the human mind...they are all carried through the brain. I don't think there is anything other than blood, meat, and brains there.

But to somewhat answer your question, I think the creation of the universe by a supreme being is impossible. Though, in all honesty, there's no sure-fire way to tell.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

The Big Bang.

I don't believe in any religion and I dislike it. It restricts you in your life. Wo wants to follow rules and guidelines? What if you die and find out there is no Heaven? You would've wasted your life.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Azumao Send a message via MSN to Azumao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post
The Big Bang.

I don't believe in any religion and I dislike it. It restricts you in your life. Wo wants to follow rules and guidelines? What if you die and find out there is no Heaven? You would've wasted your life.
I agree completely, that's one of the major reasons I'm against the hands-on God. It does regulate your decisions and lifestyle, and I'd rather live life my own way.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Dark Lightning Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lightning

We won't find out what created the universe. As far as I'm concerned, nobody can prove or disprove the fact that there is a God (same with the Big Bang). If the universe was created by the Big Bang, how could the Big Bang come to exist? If it 'swirled up in particles', where did those particles come from? But then, where did God come from?
We'll never know.
OT, I'm a Christian, but I think the Big Bang still may have happened.

Last edited by Dark Lightning; 07-27-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Steak Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Steak

I find all of your arguments against a Supreme Creator reasonable. Thus I agree with them and shan't delve further into it.

However the big bang doesn't sound as great as it used to, either. I mean there's a bunch of nothing and suddenly -ASPLODE- and suddenly [/epic redundancy inorite] there's a rapidly expanding universe with stoof in it. Where did the explosion come from? What was there before the big bang, and if nothing, for how long was there nothing? Just an endless amount of time? An indescribable void before the space-time continuum began? Some people view the big bang as the more logical choice, even though it completely defies the laws of physics as we know them. As we know them.
We'll probably never understand it.

I personally believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

-Steak
Old 07-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

I prefer the Big Bang. It has, you know, evidence.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Alana Marie Offline

Quote:
The Big Bang.

^Truth^

I can't honestly believe in god when there are things like cancer and genetic disorders that kill innocent people and/or take someone's life before they are even born. O_o

The world is just to screwed up to believe everything happens for a reason. For me, atleast.

Edit- Wow I sound depressed. x______x
Old 07-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOD View Post
I find all of your arguments against a Supreme Creator reasonable. Thus I agree with them and shan't delve further into it.

However the big bang doesn't sound as great as it used to, either. I mean there's a bunch of nothing and suddenly -ASPLODE- and suddenly [/epic redundancy inorite] there's a rapidly expanding universe with stoof in it. Where did the explosion come from? What was there before the big bang, and if nothing, for how long was there nothing? Just an endless amount of time? An indescribable void before the space-time continuum began? Some people view the big bang as the more logical choice, even though it completely defies the laws of physics as we know them. As we know them.
We'll probably never understand it.

I personally believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
*Giant Spaghetti Monster*

-Steak
Big Bang theory doesn't state that there was nothing, then BOOM, then an entire universe worth of particles. It actually states that the universe was originally a very very large and very very dense ball of matter with a density that would put black holes to shame, which exploded super-nova style, sending that matter flying across the cosmos.

I personally believe in the theory of an oscillatory universe, in which there is a never-ending cycle of universes. See, the flying mass from the Big Bang are still flying, they still have velocity and momentum. But eventually that momentum's going to run out, and all the matter in the universe is going to be pulled back in by the density of the whole universe itself. It's the same way the planets were formed, a bunch of rocks floating around and being pulled onto thee biggest one, then the combined density folding the rocks into each other to form a giant spherical rock. The same will apply when the universe stops expanding. Then, even more billions of years later, it's all going to be pulled back in and reform that big ball of stuff. Then when it reaches that point of perfect singularity, it explodes again and a new universe is formed. A never-ending cycle of creation and destruction. That, my friends, is the true beauty of the universe.

As for God, I think that there had to be someone to make this planet so god damn beautiful (if you'll pardon the pun) and fit for life to evolve. But I have to agree with Alana, there is no rhyme or reason to the universe. After making the world so amazing, if he really stuck around and controlled anything I think he'd have come down and showed us his unholy wrath at ruining this lovely planet he made by now. I say he made Earth, let us evolve, and went off to do it again. That's what I believe anyway.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Finch Offline
Inazuma

Send a message via Skype™ to Finch

Am I allowed to say "both" now plz?

I agree with Khajmer, an oscillatory universe does make as much sense as is possible for our tiny human minds. However, I think refuting God for convenience's sake is a little sad. If you actually know the slightest amount about religion and choose to be Atheist, fine, but ridiculing the beliefs of others for personal satisfaction because you'd rather not worry about rules is a little different.

The end?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Loyal Kingdra Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Loyal Kingdra

I wonder how long until this will be locked... Anyhow I believe in God and go to church. However half the time I don't understand a word the pastor is saying. He says we have to have *faith* in God and love him with all of our heart to go to heaven. Since heaven seems to be a nice place I go along with it, and do what he says :/ I don't know much about the big bang though.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 PM
MagmarMan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

I believe in a combination of both. I believe in God and I think that He was the spark that started the big bang.
Banner By Me ^_^
Old 07-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Giratina Hunter Offline

Send a message via MSN to Giratina Hunter Send a message via Skype™ to Giratina Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmarMan View Post
I believe in a combination of both. I believe in God and I think that He was the spark that started the big bang.
Oh that seems like a much more sensible idea. Very smart you are.

Click the banner to join. First 12 members are able to apply for moderators. Some will be made GloBal Mods. SO JOIN NOW!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Elrond

Quote:
The Big Bang.

Well, if you die and there's no heaven, you're not going to find out about it. You're going to be dead. Dead people aren't going to care. Therefore I prefer to live life as though there is a Heaven and Hell, so that when I die, I have the best possible chance of going where I want. If neither exists, then, as I said, I doubt my cold, lifeless body is going to give a crap about it.

On topic: I therefore agree with MagmarMan, though I'll elaborate slightly. Scientifically we can deduce that the universe and everything in it was probably not created in seven days, and most biblical scholars will agree that the creation story was just that - a story, meant to teach certain lessons about God and creation. I believe that God used the Big Bang - or whatever actually happened - to create the world and the universe.

Quote:
SotaOMG (10:05:46 PM): i think stunky is sexy
iamnotyou11 (10:05:54 PM): Soda stop being gay
supermonkey07@cox.net (10:06:03 PM): ironic statement?
<URPG>
I can probably take some grading requests now. But don't all rush me at once. :/
Closed Thread