Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:51 AM
Calypso Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Calypso
Default {The Animation Director Thread}

.The Animation Director Thread

I've noticed that the Animation Directors are seldom discussed, or even mentioned on this board, and there’s nothing more I enjoy than a gossip regarding them. Thus, it’s only natural I'd create this thread and familiarize you with their importance in the anime, and the influence they have over each individual episode. Just don’t become too engrossed, because ultimately, you’ll feel compelled to excessively analyse every episode’s animation as it airs. I assure you, it’s a vicious circle. >:

What Do The Animation Directors Do?
Well, as their name suggests, they basically direct the anime. This means their role is to manage all the aspects of the animation process during the production. This can include the character designs, background details, and generally every feature of animation, as well as overseeing the action and sequences. (However, on occasion, the latter duties can be split between numerous directors.) So basically, these are the people to hold responsible if a Pokemon’s body happens to be too large, or if half a dozen or so frames seem to go missing in action every few seconds. (I’m looking at you, Takeda.)

Regular/Current Animation Directors:

Masaaki Iwane
Anyone who is familiar with the Animation Directors will tell you how awesome Iwane is. Even from the early Magmar/Charizard battle in late Kanto, to the more recent departure of Ambipom, his use of heavy outlines and quirky designs secure him the top spot in the list of Sinnoh directors. He currently works as a regular, having directed the most episodes thus far in this saga, and is also credited as the Key Animator in several movies (including Mewtwo Returns, which was highly praised in terms of its artwork.)

First Episode: EP056 “Volcanic Panic!”
Most Recent: DP137 “Marill, Piplup, Elekid!”
Others: DP039, DP042, DP046, DP052, DP057, DP061, DP066, DP072, DP076, DP081, DP086, DP091, DP096, DP102, DP108, DP112, DP118, DP124, DP129, DP132

--------------

Akihiro Tamagawa
As you can probably see from the list below, a Tamagawa directed episode is a rather rare occurrence this season. It’s a shame really, since I’d say he’s the only one that really rivals Iwane for the top spot. Despite this drawback, the few episodes he has done have been essentially flawless in artwork terms, and his animation had provided us with overall fluid movements. Oh, and who can forget the infamous “Dawn Panty Shot”, courtesy of Tamagawa himself?

First Episode: EP003 “Ash Catches a Pokémon”
Most Recent: DP071 “Pokémon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu! (Part 1)”
Others: DP039, DP060

--------------

Izumi Shimura
Shimura is a long serving AD on the show, dating back to Charmander’s capture in the original season. Her work tends to be distinctive yet rather average, in the sense that it’s acceptable, but not particularly inspiring. However, her improvement is noticeable, especially if you compare the recent DP125, to say, the Bidoof episode at the start of Sinnoh. The little criticism she does receive usually comes from the fact that she is used as an AD more than anyone else (directs around every 5 episodes.)

First Episode: EP011 “Charmander – The Stray Pokémon”
Most Recent: DP149 “Keep Away from Pikachu and Piplup!!”
Others: DP001, DP005, DP008, DP012, DP015, DP018, DP023, DP027, DP034, DP037, DP041, DP045, DP051, DP059, DP064, DP068, DP074, DP079, DP084, DP090, DP094, DP097, DP101, DP104, DP110, DP115, DP122, DP125, DP131, DP138, DP141, DP144

--------------

Toshihito Hirooka
Hirooka is seldom acknowledged when it comes to AD’s. I guess he has a similar situation to others like Shimura; he’s neither outstanding like Iwane and Tamagawa, nor dreadful like Takeda. Well, actually, he deserves a little more credit – he’s not bad in any sense, and probably surpasses Shimura, but directs much fewer episodes in comparison. He seems to have taken a back-seat roll this saga, in contrast to Advanced, where he directed around every 6 episodes or so. I don’t have much to comment on in regards to him, as both his art and animation is usually good, but not exactly noteworthy.

First Episode: AG043 “Let Bagons be Bagons”
Most Recent: DP128 “Battle Pyramid! Paul VS Brandon!!”
Others: DP053, DP085, DP098, DP105, DP111, DP117

--------------

Yūsaku Takeda
If you have read my previous posts regarding him, you’ll probably have guessed that I’m not the biggest Takeda fan. My main issue is the robotic animation, and the fact he makes crucial events appear so dull and insignificant (you know something isn’t quite right when the Magikarp/Pikachu battle in early Sinnoh is more riveting than the Pastoria gym challenge.) Maybe I’m a little critical though; he does have some respectable background art, but the remainder of his skills tend to fluctuate between acceptable and abysmal. There’s also the fact his work seems to get worse over time. Looking back, his earlier Advanced Generation episodes were in fact fairly tolerable in terms of artwork, and actually possessed some form of depth/liveliness. I could probably complain all day concerning Takeda’s faults, but I’ve pretty much accepted his mediocre animating won’t disappear from my screen anytime soon.

First Episode: EP019 “Tentacool & Tentacruel”
Most Recent: DP123 “Pokémon Contest! Tatsunami Tournament!!
Others: DP022, DP028, DP040, DP047, DP054, DP065, DP073, DP083, DP099, DP106, DP116

--------------

Kazue Kinoshita
Hmm, Kinoshita. Well, I want to compliment her, I really do, since at least she’s improving in comparison to others. However, her washed-out colouring and thin lines often makes things blend like a watercolour painting. Not to mention the characters themselves all look like a collage of blocky shapes a good 99% of the time. She does have her decent days though - DP087 being the most glaring example. She’s often regarded as the worst of the current AD’s; however, I prefer to give that honour to the dire Takeda (or perhaps even Ishii, if he does become a regular.)

First Episode: DP004 “Dawn of a New Era!”
Most Recent: DP148 “Misdreavus, Murkrow and the Dusk Stone!”
Others: DP010, DP017, DP024, DP030, DP036, DP043, DP049, DP055, DP063, DP070, DP078, DP087, DP093, DP100, DP107, DP113, DP119, DP126, DP134, DP140

--------------

Kunihiko Natsume
I like Natsume: passable animation, wacky (although not entirely appreciated by everyone) take on character designs, and even respectable background art to boot. He’s neither praised nor criticised much, although I’d probably say he’s a little underappreciated. For example, he actually draws Brock, in particular, very well. Strange I know, but hey, it’s something I’ve noticed when observing his work.

First Episode: DP032 “An Angry Combeenation”
Most Recent: DP145 “Gible...Got It!”
Others: DP038, DP044, DP050, DP056, DP062, DP069, DP075, DP082, DP088, DP095, DP103, DP109, DP114, DP121, DP127, DP133, DP139

--------------

Makoto Shinjō
Shinjō initially collaborated with Natsume, and as such, means the two are basically indistinguishable in terms of drawing styles. Seriously, they’re probably the only AD’s that require a lot of attention in order to acknowledge the differences. Not to mention the only ones I have difficulty telling apart - the others are actually fairly diverse in comparison. However, one thing I will say is that Natsume is slightly better in regards to character models, which Shinjō seems to lack slightly. Plus, the latter seems to have vanished as of late – his last episode was the Croagunk Festival around 50 episodes ago.

First Episode: AG186 “Overjoyed!”
Most Recent: DP082 “Cream of the Croagunk Crop!”
Others: DP002, DP007, DP013, DP019, DP025, DP050, DP056

--------------

Kazuhiko Ishii
Having only directed a single episode, not much is known regarding Ishii. However, what we have seen from the former Hitman director has been relatively poor, unfortunately. His drawings, in particular, are dreadful and actually appear squashed is most scenes; but the stiff animation also deserves a mention. Oh, and that CG river in the picture is hilarious. To be fair though, they did pick an awful episode to test out a new addition to the team, considering everyone has such high expectations for Team Galactic plots. It is unknown whether he will return as a regular director, or his role happened to be a one-off (the latter, hopefully :x.)

First Episode: DP136 “Mt. Coronet Ruins! Team Galactic Conspiracy!!”
Most Recent: DP136 “Mt. Coronet Ruins! Team Galactic Conspiracy!!”
Others: N/A

Last edited by Calypso; 10-15-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:52 AM
Calypso Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Default Re: Get To Know The Animation Directors..

Reserved, incase.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:58 AM
Operative Offline

Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative
Default Re: Get to know the Animation Directors..

Calypso. Alypso. Lypso. Ypso. Pso. So. O.

Thankiu for putting this up. :3

They are definitely not getting enough credit.

Iwane is the one that made that directed the Kangaskhan Kid episode?

Oh god, I remember that from the old days. I used to have that on VHS. Tape. :D

Thanks for always keeping Pe2k up-to-date in the anime. ;D

|thedynamicduo|
Old 07-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Calypso Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Default Re: Get to know the Animation Directors..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operative View Post
Calypso. Alypso. Lypso. Ypso. Pso. So. O.

Thankiu for putting this up. :3

They are definitely not getting enough credit.

Iwane is the one that made that directed the Kangaskhan Kid episode?

Oh god, I remember that from the old days. I used to have that on VHS. Tape. :D

Thanks for always keeping Pe2k up-to-date in the anime. ;D
Ahah, no problem. :]

The Kangaskhan Kid was amazing. The young boy's parents never failed to make me laugh. xD

Completing the rest of the AD's now. Added Kinoshita.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron
Default Re: Get to Know the Animation Directors

thanks for posting this
now i know whos directing the anime :)
Old 07-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Calypso Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Ron View Post
thanks for posting this
now i know whos directing the anime :)
No problem. :] That was my intention. :P

Shimura added.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Kendo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Kendo

Kendo approved. ;] DING!

Interesting...now I know who made those sub-par newer episodes...
IT'S NOT VALENTINE'S DAY.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

i honestly never know the differance in the art between the episodes. ill start examining more
Old 07-29-2009, 03:01 AM
Calypso Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Ron View Post
i honestly never know the differance in the art between the episodes. ill start examining more
Aha, that’s the general response I get from most casual viewers. :P I’ll admit it isn’t particularly noticeable in some cases, (Natsume and Shinjo specifically have strikingly similar styles) but most of the time, if you can’t distinguish between the drawings themselves, then the quality of animation is often a dead give-away. Seriously, compare Iwane’s smooth movements with a choppy Takeda-credited episode, and I’m almost certain the differences will become a lot more apparent to you.

Anyway, I should probably finish the opening page before it slips my mind again. :x
Old 07-29-2009, 03:42 AM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post

Aha, that’s the general response I get from most casual viewers. :P I’ll admit it isn’t particularly noticeable in some cases, (Natsume and Shinjo specifically have strikingly similar styles) but most of the time, if you can’t distinguish between the drawings themselves, then the quality of animation is often a dead give-away. Seriously, compare Iwane’s smooth movements with a choppy Takeda-credited episode, and I’m almost certain the differences will become a lot more apparent to you.

Anyway, I should probably finish the opening page before it slips my mind again. :x
i examined it more and there is a big differance. especially with the aipom/buizel trade episode.

and great job with the 1st post. it looks great :3
Old 07-30-2009, 04:03 AM
Calypso Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

I’ve rewritten the opening page mostly, and I’ve actually ended up with fewer AD sections finished than before. Ahah.

I’ll complete tomorrow, I promise. x]
Old 07-30-2009, 04:43 AM
Hoshika Offline

A thousand thanks for putting up animation director info on PE2k. :3
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Calypso Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Default {The Animation Director Thread}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
A thousand thanks for putting up animation director info on PE2k. :3
That's quite alright, I find it fulfilling spreading my animation director knowledge to innocent forumers. :P

Added Takeda. :>
Old 08-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Operative Offline

Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative
Default Re: {The Animation Director Thread}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post

That's quite alright, I find it fulfilling spreading my animation director knowledge to innocent forumers. :P

Added Takeda. :>
I dislike Takeda.

His characters... aren't... moving naturally.

They move stiff and the drawing are semi-poorly drawn.

Thanks again for putting this up, Calypso.

|thedynamicduo|
Old 08-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus
Default Re: {The Animation Director Thread}

Thank you Calypso for providing this thread (even has a directory :D)
I agree with you and Operative on Takeda's animation as it is artificial and honestly somewhat pathetic.