Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 PM
questionmarkexclamation Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 111
Send a message via AIM to questionmarkexclamation
Default Little people rights...

Just thought I'd post this thread to see what you guys felt about this article.

I don't really know what to say, because I'm still in shock of laughing. If you can say the N word and cracker on TV, why can't you say midget?

I bet you that soon the First amendment will be ratified, taking away our free speech.

Last edited by questionmarkexclamation; 07-07-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN's Avatar
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Holland
Posts: 7,874
Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN
Default Re: Little people rights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmarkexclamation View Post
Just thought I'd post this thread to see what you guys felt about this article.

I don't really know what to say, because I'm still in shock of laughing. If you can say the N word and cracker on TV, why can't you say midget.

I bet you that soon the First amendment will be ratified, taking away our free speech.
Either it's because they have little toes to get stepped on, or they're usually easily overlooked, so this all is a way to compensate for something really small.

That or you watch the wrong tv shows.
__________________

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Mitsuzo-kun's Avatar
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,228
Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun
Default Re: Little people rights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmarkexclamation View Post
Just thought I'd post this thread to see what you guys felt about this article.

I don't really know what to say, because I'm still in shock of laughing. If you can say the N word and cracker on TV, why can't you say midget?

I bet you that soon the First amendment will be ratified, taking away our free speech.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

OH FFS MIDGETS ALWAYS COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!!11! >:o

I do agree it's stupid. You can use racist language and the like on TV. You may as well ban it all. :|
__________________
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:02 PM
questionmarkexclamation Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 111
Send a message via AIM to questionmarkexclamation
Default Re: Little people rights...

Yeah, once it becomes illegal to say midget, there will be nothing in the way of the midget army!


I watch the good cop/bad cop dramas a lot. And Dave Chapelle reruns. :)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 PM
FrozenChaos's Avatar
FrozenChaos Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via AIM to FrozenChaos Send a message via MSN to FrozenChaos Send a message via Yahoo to FrozenChaos
Default Re: Little people rights...

Midgets need to get over themselves. End of story.
__________________
I wish this dream comes true.

We'll make this dream come true.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Vaughn's Avatar
Vaughn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 9)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 9,169
Send a message via AIM to Vaughn Send a message via Yahoo to Vaughn
Default Re: Little people rights...

Now, people can't make fun of Little People, Big World.
__________________

Hit me up on AIM: neuroticnero

vpp | urpg | pol
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Mitsuzo-kun's Avatar
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,228
Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun
Default Re: Little people rights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenChaos View Post
Midgets need to get over themselves. End of story.
That's not possible. They can't reach that high LOL.
__________________
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 PM
TheEvilDookie's Avatar
TheEvilDookie Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,983
Send a message via AIM to TheEvilDookie Send a message via MSN to TheEvilDookie Send a message via Skype™ to TheEvilDookie
Default Re: Little people rights...

Lol I heard about this from sxephil. I don't see where the offense comes in. :P
__________________


^ Anastasia-R ^
Current VPP: Palkia > Level 100: 6987
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Skylands's Avatar
Skylands Offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The world may never know
Posts: 1,723
Default Re: Little people rights...

Quite frankly, we have far too much uncouth language on TV as it is, without adding more. It is a sign of lack of education to have to use an obscenity every other word.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Dog of Hellsing's Avatar
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: *Smacks with Zanpakuto* STALKER!
Posts: 8,768
Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing
Default Re: Little people rights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylands View Post
Quite frankly, we have far too much uncouth language on TV as it is, without adding more. It is a sign of lack of education to have to use an obscenity every other word.
Oo "Midget" is hardly an obscenity. Also, cursing doesn't ALWAYS indicate a lack of education or respect (though most of the time it does). I like to believe I'm a relatively intelligent, and I'm respectful of others, but if I get EXTREMELY angry, just about every other word out of my mouth it a curse. The only time I swear so profusely is when I get very very mad, and that doesn't happen very often. But just because I tend to hurl every foul word I can think of when I'm highly pissed doesn't mean I'm stupid or disrespectful. Anyways, I think people would prefer me loosing my anger in bad words than by hitting, stabbing, or shooting people or something.

Anyways, I don't see the point in taking offense at the word. That's like a disabled person finding offense in the word "handicapped" or something. It doesn't mean anything bad. It just points out a certain demographic. If someone is mentally retarded, they shouldn't find offense in being referred to as such, because it's not meant to be hurtful. Of course, these titles CAN be used as hurtful slurs, but it's really all in the context of how they're used. For example, I know I'm a bit overweight. Someone calls me obese but means it in a medical way or something. I find no offense in it. Now if they want to say I'm obese and they're not talking medically or just doing some friendly teasing (meaning they're saying it to be rude), then I'll take offense. Well, actually, I'll just ignore them. I don't have time for people like that.

My whole point is that you shouldn't take offense in a word unless it's MEANT to be offensive. And seriously, banning the word? What, if someone says "midget" they'll be slapped with a fine or thrown on Death Row? My God that's ludicrous. That's like me not liking being called Caucasian and demanding the word be banned .
__________________
Paired with Shen, the most epic Bleach fan around :3
URPG Stats/National Park Info/Coordinator Stats

^Rock Musical Bleach^

Last edited by Dog of Hellsing; 07-09-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Kendo's Avatar
Kendo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,792
Send a message via AIM to Kendo
Default Re: Little people rights...

With ALL of the curses and racial slurs people say on television these days, THIS is the SINGLE WORD that they want to BAN. How come the "N word" is still usable? *points to Boondocks*
__________________
A very dumb story. Go read it.
~Kendo
Join my RPG...
IT'S NOT VALENTINE'S DAY.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng's Avatar
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: What's a "location"?
Posts: 4,065
Default Re: Little people rights...

Tall people don't find the word "giant" offensive, right?

Oh, and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranitar_Trainer View Post
Oo "Midget" is hardly an obscenity. Also, cursing doesn't ALWAYS indicate a lack of education or respect (though most of the time it does). I like to believe I'm a relatively intelligent, and I'm respectful of others, but if I get EXTREMELY angry, just about every other word out of my mouth it a curse. The only time I swear so profusely is when I get very very mad, and that doesn't happen very often. But just because I tend to hurl every foul word I can think of when I'm highly pissed doesn't mean I'm stupid or disrespectful. Anyways, I think people would prefer me loosing my anger in bad words than by hitting, stabbing, or shooting people or something.

Anyways, I don't see the point in taking offense at the word. That's like a disabled person finding offense in the word "handicapped" or something. It doesn't mean anything bad. It just points out a certain demographic. If someone is mentally retarded, they shouldn't find offense in being referred to as such, because it's not meant to be hurtful. Of course, these titles CAN be used as hurtful slurs, but it's really all in the context of how they're used. For example, I know I'm a bit overweight. Someone calls me obese but means it in a medical way or something. I find no offense in it. Now if they want to say I'm obese and they're not talking medically or just doing some friendly teasing (meaning they're saying it to be rude), then I'll take offense. Well, actually, I'll just ignore them. I don't have time for people like that.

My whole point is that you shouldn't take offense in a word unless it's MEANT to be offensive. And seriously, banning the word? What, if someone says "midget" they'll be slapped with a fine or thrown on Death Row? My God that's ludicrous. That's like me not liking being called Caucasian and demanding the word be banned .
This. In fact, depending on the context, any word can be offensive. But we don't ban the entire spoken English language because of that, do we?
__________________
What's a "signature"?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Dog of Hellsing's Avatar
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: *Smacks with Zanpakuto* STALKER!
Posts: 8,768
Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing
Default Re: Little people rights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post
Tall people don't find the word "giant" offensive, right?

Oh, and... This. In fact, depending on the context, any word can be offensive. But we don't ban the entire spoken English language because of that, do we?
Bolded stuff QFT. So this organization or league or whatever REALLY needs to take a step back and realize how ridiculous they're being. I swear, sometimes people let their righteous indignation give them the stupidest ideas -_-. I'm not saying we shouldn't respect a person's wishes if they don't want to be called a midget or something, but this whole issue of trying to get the word banned is just retarded.
__________________
Paired with Shen, the most epic Bleach fan around :3
URPG Stats/National Park Info/Coordinator Stats

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 AM
hsb39's Avatar
hsb39 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Little people rights...

I think that this is ridiculous. I love it how this would include a show that is saying that "midget" is an offensive word...
__________________
I am currently trying to think of something witty and original to put in my signature.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng's Avatar
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: What's a "location"?
Posts: 4,065
Default Re: Little people rights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb39 View Post
I think that this is ridiculous. I love it how this would include a show that is saying that "midget" is an offensive word...
I've started to believe that whoever came up with the idea was eligible to be called a "midget" him/herself. >_>
__________________
What's a "signature"?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com