Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 PM
questionmarkexclamation Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to questionmarkexclamation
Default Little people rights...

Just thought I'd post this thread to see what you guys felt about this article.

I don't really know what to say, because I'm still in shock of laughing. If you can say the N word and cracker on TV, why can't you say midget?

I bet you that soon the First amendment will be ratified, taking away our free speech.

Last edited by questionmarkexclamation; 07-07-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN
Default Re: Little people rights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmarkexclamation View Post

I don't really know what to say, because I'm still in shock of laughing. If you can say the N word and cracker on TV, why can't you say midget.

I bet you that soon the First amendment will be ratified, taking away our free speech.
Either it's because they have little toes to get stepped on, or they're usually easily overlooked, so this all is a way to compensate for something really small.

That or you watch the wrong tv shows.

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 07-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmarkexclamation View Post

I don't really know what to say, because I'm still in shock of laughing. If you can say the N word and cracker on TV, why can't you say midget?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

OH FFS MIDGETS ALWAYS COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!!11! >:o

I do agree it's stupid. You can use racist language and the like on TV. You may as well ban it all. :|
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 07-07-2009, 09:02 PM
questionmarkexclamation Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to questionmarkexclamation

Yeah, once it becomes illegal to say midget, there will be nothing in the way of the midget army!

I watch the good cop/bad cop dramas a lot. And Dave Chapelle reruns. :)
Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 PM
FrozenChaos Offline

Send a message via AIM to FrozenChaos Send a message via MSN to FrozenChaos Send a message via Yahoo to FrozenChaos

Midgets need to get over themselves. End of story.

We'll make this dream come true.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Vaughn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 9)

Send a message via AIM to Vaughn Send a message via Yahoo to Vaughn

Now, people can't make fun of Little People, Big World.

Hit me up on AIM: neuroticnero

vpp | urpg | pol
Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenChaos View Post
Midgets need to get over themselves. End of story.
That's not possible. They can't reach that high LOL.
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 PM
TheEvilDookie Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheEvilDookie Send a message via MSN to TheEvilDookie Send a message via Skype™ to TheEvilDookie

Lol I heard about this from sxephil. I don't see where the offense comes in. :P

^ Anastasia-R ^
Current VPP: Palkia > Level 100: 6987
Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Skylands Offline

Quite frankly, we have far too much uncouth language on TV as it is, without adding more. It is a sign of lack of education to have to use an obscenity every other word.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylands View Post
Quite frankly, we have far too much uncouth language on TV as it is, without adding more. It is a sign of lack of education to have to use an obscenity every other word.
Oo "Midget" is hardly an obscenity. Also, cursing doesn't ALWAYS indicate a lack of education or respect (though most of the time it does). I like to believe I'm a relatively intelligent, and I'm respectful of others, but if I get EXTREMELY angry, just about every other word out of my mouth it a curse. The only time I swear so profusely is when I get very very mad, and that doesn't happen very often. But just because I tend to hurl every foul word I can think of when I'm highly pissed doesn't mean I'm stupid or disrespectful. Anyways, I think people would prefer me loosing my anger in bad words than by hitting, stabbing, or shooting people or something.

Anyways, I don't see the point in taking offense at the word. That's like a disabled person finding offense in the word "handicapped" or something. It doesn't mean anything bad. It just points out a certain demographic. If someone is mentally retarded, they shouldn't find offense in being referred to as such, because it's not meant to be hurtful. Of course, these titles CAN be used as hurtful slurs, but it's really all in the context of how they're used. For example, I know I'm a bit overweight. Someone calls me obese but means it in a medical way or something. I find no offense in it. Now if they want to say I'm obese and they're not talking medically or just doing some friendly teasing (meaning they're saying it to be rude), then I'll take offense. Well, actually, I'll just ignore them. I don't have time for people like that.

My whole point is that you shouldn't take offense in a word unless it's MEANT to be offensive. And seriously, banning the word? What, if someone says "midget" they'll be slapped with a fine or thrown on Death Row? My God that's ludicrous. That's like me not liking being called Caucasian and demanding the word be banned .

^Rock Musical Bleach^

Last edited by Dog of Hellsing; 07-09-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Kendo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Kendo

With ALL of the curses and racial slurs people say on television these days, THIS is the SINGLE WORD that they want to BAN. How come the "N word" is still usable? *points to Boondocks*
IT'S NOT VALENTINE'S DAY.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Tall people don't find the word "giant" offensive, right?

Oh, and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranitar_Trainer View Post
Oo "Midget" is hardly an obscenity. Also, cursing doesn't ALWAYS indicate a lack of education or respect (though most of the time it does). I like to believe I'm a relatively intelligent, and I'm respectful of others, but if I get EXTREMELY angry, just about every other word out of my mouth it a curse. The only time I swear so profusely is when I get very very mad, and that doesn't happen very often. But just because I tend to hurl every foul word I can think of when I'm highly pissed doesn't mean I'm stupid or disrespectful. Anyways, I think people would prefer me loosing my anger in bad words than by hitting, stabbing, or shooting people or something.

Anyways, I don't see the point in taking offense at the word. That's like a disabled person finding offense in the word "handicapped" or something. It doesn't mean anything bad. It just points out a certain demographic. If someone is mentally retarded, they shouldn't find offense in being referred to as such, because it's not meant to be hurtful. Of course, these titles CAN be used as hurtful slurs, but it's really all in the context of how they're used. For example, I know I'm a bit overweight. Someone calls me obese but means it in a medical way or something. I find no offense in it. Now if they want to say I'm obese and they're not talking medically or just doing some friendly teasing (meaning they're saying it to be rude), then I'll take offense. Well, actually, I'll just ignore them. I don't have time for people like that.

My whole point is that you shouldn't take offense in a word unless it's MEANT to be offensive. And seriously, banning the word? What, if someone says "midget" they'll be slapped with a fine or thrown on Death Row? My God that's ludicrous. That's like me not liking being called Caucasian and demanding the word be banned .
This. In fact, depending on the context, any word can be offensive. But we don't ban the entire spoken English language because of that, do we?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post
Tall people don't find the word "giant" offensive, right?

Oh, and... This. In fact, depending on the context, any word can be offensive. But we don't ban the entire spoken English language because of that, do we?
Bolded stuff QFT. So this organization or league or whatever REALLY needs to take a step back and realize how ridiculous they're being. I swear, sometimes people let their righteous indignation give them the stupidest ideas -_-. I'm not saying we shouldn't respect a person's wishes if they don't want to be called a midget or something, but this whole issue of trying to get the word banned is just retarded.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 AM
hsb39 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

I think that this is ridiculous. I love it how this would include a show that is saying that "midget" is an offensive word...
Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb39 View Post
I think that this is ridiculous. I love it how this would include a show that is saying that "midget" is an offensive word...
I've started to believe that whoever came up with the idea was eligible to be called a "midget" him/herself. >_>