Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Gremlin Offline

Default Rate my best team so far...

Please, don't laugh, but this is my most successful team now. Maybe it's good, maybe it sucks, I'm not sure. I think about some changes in the team, but I don't know what exactly.
I used the team for Single, Team and Tower, too.

@ Expert Belt
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
adamant, Motor Drive
Thunder Punch
Earthquake
Cross Chop
Ice Punch

Thunder Punch as STAB, Ice Punch against Ground, Cross against Blissey and Co., Earthquake against nearly everthing else ^^

@ Leftovers
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpcDef
bold, Marvel Scale
Ice Beam
Surf/Hydro Pump
Recover/Rest
Attract/Water Ring/Sleeptalk

One big wall. Surf/Hydro Pump is STAB. Not sure if it should be a Sleep Talker or not...

@ Life Orb
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
jolly, Pressure
Ice Punch
Night Slash
Pursuit/Arial Ace
Brick Break

My favourite guy. Ice Punch and Night Slash as STAB, Brick Break against Rock and Arial Ace against Fighting and with his speed and high attack, he can nearly kill with one hit.

@ Leftovers
252 HP/196 Def/80 SpcDef
calm, Pressure
Dark Pulse
Calm Mind/Nasty Plot
Rest
Sleeptalk

My Stalker. With his high defense and special defense, it's hard to kill him and with Rest and Calm Mind, he could be harder to defeat.

@ Leftovers
204 HP/52 ATK/252 Def
impish, Clear Body
Meteor Mash/Bullet Punch
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Magnet Rise/Explosion/Thunder Punch

My MetaStaller. Meteor Mash/Bullet Punch is STAB, Earthquake against Fire, Ice Punch against Ground, last one is filler.

@ Life Orb
64Atk/192Spd/252SpAtk
naive, Blaze
Close Combat
Fire Blast/Flame Thrower
Grass Knot
Nasty Plot

My Kamikaze, if everything goes wrong. Thx to Gofre for the idea.

Last edited by Gremlin; 06-11-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Default Re: Rate my best team so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Please, don't laugh, but this is my most successful team now. Maybe it's good, maybe it sucks, I'm not sure. I think about some changes in the team, but I don't know what exactly.

@ Expet Belt
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
adamant, Motor Drive
Thunder Punch
Earthquake
Cross Chop
Ice Punch

Thunder Punch as STAB, Ice Punch against Ground, Cross against Blissey and Co., Earthquake against nearly everthing else ^^

Muscle Band's boost is moot, and you have motor drive to catch speed boosts off. Expert Belt is great on this guy since despite being easily walled, his coverage is amazing.

@ Life Orb/Choice Specs
4 HP/252 Spd/252 SpcAtk
Timid, Natural Cure
Surf
Grass Knot/Recover
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

To be honest, I'm not really sure about this set. Surf as STAB, Psychic as STAB or Signal Beam against Dark (?), Ice Beam against Plants and Thunder against Water and Flying.

Unlike Vire, starmie's coverage doesn't tend to offer up enough super effective hits in my opinion and really needs a consistent boost to its SpAtt- Base 100 unboosted is a bit lackluster nowadays. Psychic's coverage is moot and STAB Surf practically equals a super-effective signal beam in power. Grass knot is the most effective tyranitar defence since he's gonna enjoy using pursuit on you, while recover helps with staying power. Trick's also a nice option here if you use specs

@ Life Orb
252Att/216Spd/40HP
jolly, Pressure
Ice Punch/Ice Shard
Night Slash
Pursuit
Brick Break

My favourite guy. Ice Punch and Night Slash as STAB, Brick Break against Rock and Arial Ace against Fighting and with his speed and high attack, he can nearly kill with one hit.

Ariel ace is too selective and all but useless without being super effective (Either STAB move are only slightly behind anyway) and dark/fight covers everything in the game for neutral anyway bar hera and if hera comes in on you, he has a scarf so you better run. Pursuit for revenge killing please.

@ Leftovers
4 HP/252 Spd/252 SpcAtk
timid, Levitate
Shadow Ball
HP Fight
Calm Mind
Substitute

She can't stand hard attacks so I tried to make her faster and stronger. Shadowball for STAB, Energy Ball against Swampert and other Grounds, Thunderbolt as filler. I think about to switch her out, but for what?

In OU this thing fails without Sub+CM, it's just too weak without them. HP fight gives perfect coverage.

@ Choice Band
4 HP/252 ATK/252 Speed
Jolly, Pressure
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Aqua Tail

Stone Edge as STAB, Earthquake against Steel and Electo, Ice Fang against Dragon (or better Aqua Tail against some more?) and Arial Ace as STAB (or better Crunch?)

Terrible Defences+Low Attack stat (For a sweeper)= IareNeedingaWay2KOmagikarpB4itGets me. Aerodactyl was always inbetween OU and UU until somebody thought "Hey, lets shove taunt and stealth rock on him and give him a focus sash!". He's not famed for his sweeping ability at all, his defences suck and his attack stat is really sub-par. He needs a choice band to so that when he hits things they don't get back up, because if that snover dies you can expect a KO coming your way.

@ Life Orb
64Att/252SpAtt/192Spd
Naive, Blaze
Close Combat
Fire Blast
Grass Knot
Nasty Plot/HP Ice

Something like the last kamikaze in my team ^^° Flare/Close are STAB, Thunderpunch against Water; Shadow Claw against Psychic. I think about to switch him with Salamence or something else.

Mixed sweeper please, eveything else on your team is orientated in one stat or another.
Changes in bold. At the moment you have physical sweepers, special sweepers... and that's it. Seriously, if something comes in with a choice scarf or a DDGyara, you will just get 6-0'd because nothing can take a hit in the slightest. Half of your pokes are doing exactly the same thing and have the same coverage so they aren't achieveing anything over one another. So, an action plan:

1. Convert infernape to a mixed variant
2. Get rid of 1of your special sweepers and 1 or 2 physical sweepers to make room for some walls.
3. Bring in two walls, one for each side of the spectrum. If you decided to get rid of 2 physical sweepers (Which you should), fill that slot with a team supporter of some sort or a dedicated lead.

Make those changes and I'll rate again.

EDIT: Those EVs on weavile allow it to survive an unboosted flamethrower off of azelf, who is rising in popularity what with the current taunt lead craze.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:19 AM
Uber Platinum Offline

You need a wall. You've got good ones with attack and special attack but when your up against another Pokemon that's faster and has a brilliant attack, you're done for. Blissey, I believe, would be a good choice.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Gremlin Offline

Edited team.

- Mismagius
- Starmie
- Aerodactyl

+ Milotic
+ Spiritomb
+ Metagross
+ Changing some attacks and stats

I had bad experiences with Blissey. OK, maybe they survives a lot of attacks and maybe they are good supporters, but without Sesmic Toss (it's nearly impossible to get one with the right stats), I think they aren't so good...
Old 06-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Edited team.

- Mismagius
- Starmie
- Aerodactyl

+ Milotic
+ Spiritomb
+ Metagross
+ Changing some attacks and stats

I had bad experiences with Blissey. OK, maybe they survives a lot of attacks and maybe they are good supporters, but without Sesmic Toss (it's nearly impossible to get one with the right stats), I think they aren't so good...
A Blissey with Softboiled isn't to be scoffed at. I recommend maxing out your EVs for HP and stuffing the rest in Def and Sp. Def with a Bold or Calm Nature. For once, Hyper Beam actually looks good on a Pokemon. O_o Softboiled is a definite given, though I'm not so sure about other moves. As for the held item, Leftovers are a given.

As for abilities. If you don't have stuff like Refresh, get Natural Cure; or if you have some move that has a chance of causing a Status condition, have Serene Grace. In the case of the latter, have something like Refresh.

One more thing. Blissey's more of a Special Tank than a Physical Tank. If you want a Mixed Tank, go with Bold; if you want a Special Tank, Calm is the way to go. For the former, I'm not sure where to stuff the EVs (); for the latter, stuff 252 in Sp. Def and 4 in Def. or Speed.

Last edited by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng; 06-12-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post
For once, Hyper Beam actually looks good on a Pokemon.
You did NOT just say that. The only time hyper beam is EVER a viable choice is on a choice-specs-download-modest-porygon z, and that's to kill blissey. Blissey is setup bait as it is, it cannot afford to give the opponents free turns.

Quote:
I recommend maxing out your EVs for HP and stuffing the rest in Def and Sp. Def with a Bold or Calm Nature.
Blissey has not run max HP or bold in almost two years, threats like specsluke and the afformention porygon z set have shown that there are special attackers capable of killing her. Blissey now runs max defence and next-to max SpDef@Calm, with a small investment in SpAtt depending on the set.

Quote:
if you have some move that has a chance of causing a Status condition, have Serene Grace.
Blissey needs natural cure on any defensive stat, not debatable. It allows her to sponge status for the entire team and stop herself getting crippled by toxic/burn if aromatherapy isn't present. Blissey has two excellent status moves in the form of thunder wave and toxic, she can't afford to start being reliant on hax to spread any other kinds.

Quote:
If you want a Mixed Tank, go with Bold;
Blissey cannot mix tank to save her life, or infact the lives of any other member of her team. The only reason she has defence EVs is so she doesn't get OHKO'd by pursuit, rapid spin or tackle. bold no longer helps, everything has life orbs and choice bands, trying to take substantial physical hits with her in todays metagame is suicide.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
You did NOT just say that. The only time hyper beam is EVER a viable choice is on a choice-specs-download-modest-porygon z, and that's to kill blissey. Blissey is setup bait as it is, it cannot afford to give the opponents free turns.

Blissey has not run max HP or bold in almost two years, threats like specsluke and the afformention porygon z set have shown that there are special attackers capable of killing her. Blissey now runs max defence and next-to max SpDef@Calm, with a small investment in SpAtt depending on the set.

Blissey needs natural cure on any defensive stat, not debatable. It allows her to sponge status for the entire team and stop herself getting crippled by toxic/burn if aromatherapy isn't present. Blissey has two excellent status moves in the form of thunder wave and toxic, she can't afford to start being reliant on hax to spread any other kinds.

Blissey cannot mix tank to save her life, or infact the lives of any other member of her team. The only reason she has defence EVs is so she doesn't get OHKO'd by pursuit, rapid spin or tackle. bold no longer helps, everything has life orbs and choice bands, trying to take substantial physical hits with her in todays metagame is suicide.
Right. Got it now.

I fail. :X
Old 06-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Gremlin Offline

Um... It's a thread for rating my team, not a discussion about pro/cons of Blissey or did I miss something?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:25 AM
Jeneus Offline
Banned

Quote:

@ Expert Belt
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
adamant, Motor Drive
Thunder Punch
Earthquake
Cross Chop
Ice Punch

@ Leftovers
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpcDef
bold, Marvel Scale
Ice Beam
Surf/Hydro Pump
Recover/Rest
Attract/Water Ring/Sleeptalk

One big wall. Surf/Hydro Pump is STAB. Not sure if it should be a Sleep Talker or not...

@ Life Orb
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
jolly, Pressure
Ice Punch
Night Slash
Pursuit/Arial Ace
Brick Break

@ Leftovers
252 HP/196 Def/80 SpcDef
calm, Pressure
Dark Pulse
Calm Mind/Nasty Plot
Rest
Sleeptalk

My Stalker. With his high defense and special defense, it's hard to kill him and with Rest and Calm Mind, he could be harder to defeat.

@ Leftovers
204 HP/52 ATK/252 Def
impish, Clear Body
Meteor Mash/Bullet Punch
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Magnet Rise/Explosion/Thunder Punch

My MetaStaller. Meteor Mash/Bullet Punch is STAB, Earthquake against Fire, Ice Punch against Ground, last one is filler.

@ Life Orb
64Atk/192Spd/252SpAtk
naive, Blaze
Close Combat
Fire Blast/Flame Thrower
Grass Knot
Nasty Plot

My Kamikaze, if everything goes wrong. Thx to Gofre for the idea.
:o very nice maybe a defence wall would be pretty good in that party then try either battling with other players on wifi or if you dont have wifi try using em on the battle frontier i bet u would totaly own ;) good luck :) EDIT: i love that infernape picture ITS HALARIOUS since i love the show family guy :)

Last edited by Jeneus; 06-22-2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: wanted to add more text LOL
Old 06-22-2009, 03:36 AM
Tranquil Leafeon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Tranquil Leafeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeneus View Post
:o very nice maybe a defence wall would be pretty good in that party then try either battling with other players on wifi or if you dont have wifi try using em on the battle frontier i bet u would totaly own ;) good luck :) EDIT: i love that infernape picture ITS HALARIOUS since i love the show family guy :)
Um, he already has three physically defensive Pokemon in Metagross, Spiritomb, and Milotic. Unless you were suggesting a Special wall, he doesn't need any more. Even so, it's not like Milotic can't take a neutral Special hit or two with a SpDf stat of 297.

And although you probably know this already, Battle Frontier=/=WiFi. Playing against AI will never be like playing against an actual person.
More and more of these Azelf leads come back in later to spread paralysis
Old 06-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Jeneus Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absol Power View Post
Um, he already has three physically defensive Pokemon in Metagross, Spiritomb, and Milotic. Unless you were suggesting a Special wall, he doesn't need any more. Even so, it's not like Milotic can't take a neutral Special hit or two with a SpDf stat of 297.

And although you probably know this already, Battle Frontier=/=WiFi. Playing against AI will never be like playing against an actual person.
well nvm then :P i guess im not that good at battling =/
Old 06-23-2009, 01:40 AM
Tranquil Leafeon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeneus View Post
well nvm then :P i guess im not that good at battling =/
I wasn't trying to say that, sorry if it came off that way.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Pokemon Genius 123 Offline

blissey is not a tank vs physical sweepers so bronzong with calm mind psychic gyro ball and stone edge is waaaaaaaaayyyyy better

aerodactyl cannot resist a single hit
Old 08-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Tranquil Leafeon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Genius 123 View Post
blissey is not a tank vs physical sweepers so bronzong with calm mind psychic gyro ball and stone edge is waaaaaaaaayyyyy better

aerodactyl cannot resist a single hit
???

Blissey is the number one Special wall in existence. There is nothing better than it at that job. And Blissey isn't even supposed to be taking physical hits unless it really has to. And why would a CM Bronzong use two physical moves that don't benefit from Calm Mind?

He doesn't even have an Aerodactyl anymore, and when he did, it was a sweeper who once again doesn't need to be taking hits.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Zaraki Kenpachi Offline
New Trainer

I use Blissey myself, but I don't play wifi, I just play with my friends, and they are not even close to a challenge. so my Blissey is 100% special wall, but not the standard Blissey. Moves are substitute, double team, softboiled and seismic toss. maybe that sucks, but consider that most of my friends get stuck with special sweepers until i have used all my double teams. I have won whole fights only with Blissey. Only two of my friends have been able to get over blissey, but still... I have 5 other pokemon to kick ass. BLISSEY IS GOOD