Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Gokudera-Kun
Default Rate My Team(Favorites)

This is a team compiled of Pokemon I am fond of. I wasn't paying attention to tiers or anything like that when I made this Shoddy Team.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/224 Atk/12 Df/20 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Explosion
- Meteor Mash
- Thunderpunch
- Earthquake
---
Weavile (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Night Slash
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance
---
Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
---
Rotom-w @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
---
Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/136 Def/120 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Mirror Coat
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Counter
---
Spiritomb (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Confuse Ray
- Dark Pulse
- Pain Split
---

I expect some of the guys to be replaced, I don't wanna be picky or anything, but I wanna stick to Pokemon I'm familiar with and enjoy using. With that said, I won't blatantly disregard any replacements you want to make unless I have a good reason. So, can I get some help here?

VPP: Giratina, Level100 @ 4,554

Last edited by Gokudera-Kun; 06-09-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 AM
Tranquil Leafeon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Tranquil Leafeon
Default Re: Rate My Team(Favorites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyurgh View Post
This is a team compiled of Pokemon I am fond of. I wasn't paying attention to tiers or anything like that when I made this Shoddy Team.

Metagross @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk -SpAtk)
- Explosion
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch/Thunderpunch/Bullet Punch

Explosion: With Choice Band and Max Attack, pretty much covers anything that isn't Steel, Ghost, or Rock
MM: Ice, Rock, STAB
BB: Rock, Normal, Steel, Ice, Dark
Ice Punch: Grass, Flying, Dragon, Ground

358 Speed, that's a fast chunk of metal! My intentions are to hopefully outspeed Stealth Rock leads and blow them away.

Um, what? That Metagross only reaches 239 Spd. If you meant Scarf instead of Band, then you get the 358. You aren't using any Special attacks, so Adamant is a better Nature. EQ is a must on this guy, as it gives Metagross very good coverage. While Ice Punch is good for hitting Dragons, Thunderpunch hits Skarmory and bulky Waters not named Swampert, who otherwise wall this guy. Bullet Punch is also an option if you are using CB, since having a powerful priority move is great for something as slow as CB Metagross, but is useless with Scarf.

Weavile (M) @ Expert Belt/Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk/216 Spd/40 HP
JollyNature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Brick Break
- Ice Shard/Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance

AA: Bug, Grass, Fighting
Ice: Grass, Flying, Ground, Dragon
Dark: Ghost, Psychic

Wasn't sure where to invest those last 4 Ev's. Chople cuts Fighting by 50% once, which hopefully saves me for another attack(assuming I outspeed what I'm facing). Which means, if I survive, I can hit Fighting types with 2 Max AA's. Ice Shard is priority, in case I'm facing Choice Scarf mons, but Ice Punch has more power and a freeze chance. Night Slash is another STAB which has roughly the same power as Ice Punch, but Critical Hit can double that BP. Since I'm pretty fast, Taunt anything that tries to set-up.

Weavile is too frail to live a Fighting attack even with Chople, so its best off going for another item. Use a Jolly Nature to capitalize on Weavile's great Speed, and because Weavile will probably die if it is outsped. The EVs let it outrun base 120 Pokemon, and, conveniently, let it survive an unboosted Flamethrower from Azelf. Brick Break>Aerial Ace please, as it keeps Steel types from completely walling you. Weavile is also too frail to be using Taunt if it isn't a lead, so replace it with Swords Dance to help you sweep.

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Ability: Download
EVs: 216 Def/118 SAtk/176 SDef
- Trick Room/Thunderwave
- Tri Attack
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Tri: STAB
Ghost: Psychic, Ghost

I was considering Porygon-Z, but I wasn't really sure. Trick Room helps Blastoise, this guy, and Spiritomb. Recover well recovers.

What are you trying to accomplish with this guy? Is he a wall or attacker? If he's a wall (which is probably the best idea since Rotom is already a special sweeper) go with this set.

Porygon2@Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Df -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP/216 Df/40 SpAtk
-Recover
-Discharge/Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Thunder Wave/Magic Coat/Toxic

Trace allows it to counter Salamence, Gyarados, Heatran, Jolteon, and even more by Tracing their ability and preventing them from doing much to it. Discharge offers a nice 30% para chance if you don't use T-Wave, or even if you do use it, while T-bolt has 15 more power.

If you're using a sweeper Pory2, use Pory-z instead since it greatly outclasses Pory2 at sweeping. I'd recommend an Agility or Nasty Plot set, as your team already has 2 Choiced Pokes.

Porygon-z@Life Orb/Silk Scarf
Ability: Adapability/Download
Timid Nature (+Spd -Atk)/Modest Nature (+SpAtk -Atk)
EVs: 4 Df/252 SpAtk/252 Spd or 132 HP/252 SpAtk/124 Spd
-Nasty Plot/Agility
-Tri Attack
-Dark Pulse
-HP [Fighting]

Use Adaptability and Timid for the Nasty Plot set, and Download + Modest for the Agility set. Dark + Fighting gets great coverage resisted by only Heracross and Toxicroak, who die to Tri Attack.

Rotom-w @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Df/252 Spd/252 SAtk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Hydro: Fire, Ground, Rock
T-bolt: Water, Flying
Shadow Ball: Ghost, Psychic
HP: Ice, Dark, Rock, Normal, Steel

This is the most diverse type coverage I could think of. Hydro Pump stings to most. T-bolt has that nifty paralysis chance and STAB. Shadow Ball... STAB. HP Fighting, incredible coverage.

Trick can go over HP [Fighting] because Rotom already has perfect coverage, and Trick can cripple walls like Blissey. Once again, the EVs are in between sweeper and wall, which doesn't really work. Just go with the 252/252/4 spread for its effectiveness.

EVs: 166 HP/252 Def/92 SDef
- Mirror Coat
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Counter

Wacan cuts electric by 50%. He's built to defend AND kill. See that Rapid Spin there? That's in case Metagross/Weavile don't work. Hydro Pump...STAB. With a few exceptions(Lucario/Infernape are the ones I can think of at the top of my head) I should pretty much see what's coming with Counter and Mirror Coat.

Blastoise wants Leftovers since it is his only form of recovery. If you're going to use a CounterCoat Blastoise, then you want your defenses maxed. Go with a 252 HP/136 Df/120 SpDf spread and a Bold nature if you are intent on using Counter and Mirror Coat.

Spiritomb (F) @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP88 Df/168 SpDf
Bold Nature (+Df -Atk)
- Confuse Ray/Attract
- Will-o-wisp
- Dark Pulse
- Pain Split

Devoted Status mon for the most part. Substitute or Curse, leaning more on Curse because Spiritomb is too slow to Sub. WoW can hurt Physical strikers.

Don't use Curse since it can be ridded by switching and will kill Spiritomb quickly. Leftovers for item since it offers recovery. The EVs I have give it the best overall defenses. Pain Split gives you recovery and makes Spiritomb laugh at Blissey. Don't use Confuse Ray and Attract on the same set, since they both do the same thing. Pick one (Don't use Attract on Wi-Fi), and use Dark Pulse in the other slot.

Weaknesses
Fire(2): Metagross and Weavile
Grass: Blastoise
Electric: Blastoise
Fighting(2): Weavile and Porygon2
Ground(2): Weavile Normal effective and Metagross
Steel: Weavile
Bug: Rotom-W(They hurt ghosts right? Bug is .5 effective on Ghost) and Weavile
Dark: Rotom-W
Rock: Rotom-W(Again, I'm not entirely sure Normal effective) Weavile (Rock is x2 on Ice)

These are what I know, assuming

Weakness Coverage
Metagross: Ice Punch for Ground-types. Explosion hits Fire.
Weavile: Chople Berry(Fighting), Aerial Ace(Fighting), Ice(Ground)
Rotom-W: HP Fighting(Dark/Rock)
Blastoise: Wacan(Electric)

I expect some of the guys to be replaced, I don't wanna be picky or anything, but I wanna stick to Pokemon I'm familiar with and enjoy using. With that said, I won't blatantly disregard any replacements you want to make unless I have a good reason. So, can I get some help here?
Changes in bold. Covering weaknesses isn't as important as getting good coverage overall, so aim for that first as a general rule.

Also, next time you're building teams, remember that 128 EVs gets you the point, not 126 or 130 like you had on Rotom, Blastoise, and Spiritomb.
More and more of these Azelf leads come back in later to spread paralysis

Last edited by Tranquil Leafeon; 06-09-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absol Power View Post
Changes in bold. Covering weaknesses isn't as important as getting good coverage overall, so aim for that first as a general rule.

Also, next time you're building teams, remember that 128 EVs gets you the point, not 126 or 130 like you had on Rotom, Blastoise, and Spiritomb.
Ok, I made the changes.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Tranquil Leafeon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Ok, I made the changes.
Wow, that was fast. Anyways, so you are keeping Metagross Banded instead of Scarfed? Then, go with an EV spread of 252 HP/236 Atk/12 Df/8 Spd, which I forgot to mention in my above post. It lets you have all the power you want from him, while always surviving a CB Adamant Dugtrio EQ at full health, and also outrun minimum speed Skarmory (if you want, you can invest 12 more Speed EVs to outrun standard Skarmory, which isn't a bad idea).

Hope all my advice helps you.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:03 AM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Quote:
Wow, that was fast. Anyways, so you are keeping Metagross Banded instead of Scarfed? Then, go with an EV spread of 252 HP/236 Atk/12 Df/8 Spd, which I forgot to mention in my above post. It lets you have all the power you want from him, while always surviving a CB Adamant Dugtrio EQ at full health, and also outrun minimum speed Skarmory (if you want, you can invest 12 more Speed EVs to outrun standard Skarmory, which isn't a bad idea).

Hope all my advice helps you.
Ok, Metagross has been edited.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:20 AM
Tranquil Leafeon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Ok, Metagross has been edited.
I meant to have the 12 extra EVs come from Attack, not Defense (252 HP/224 Atk/12 Df/20 Spd). I guess I should have specified, since that could easily be confused. Also, I'm really not sure of how this would work, so you should probably test it before making it final, but you might try a Spiritomb lead. He would work better than a CBGross because he can pseudo trap with Pursuit, Burn things, and Taunt Bronzong leads (that's about all he's fast enough for. The set looks like this.

Spiritomb@Leftovers
Careful Nature (+SpDf -SpAtk)
EVs: 252 HP/140 Atk/116 SpDf
-Sucker Punch/Taunt
-Pursuit/Taunt
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split

This guy can Taunt setup leads if you give him that, Burn leads that use physical attacks like Metagross and Hippowdom, and/or hurt ones that flee from him.

This is just a suggestion and might not play the way you want him to, so you might want to test this before editing it into your team. I hope it works, but if not, I guess Metagross will have to do. Sorry for spacing everything over a bunch of posts, but I didn't think of it until now.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Quote:
I meant to have the 12 extra EVs come from Attack, not Defense (252 HP/224 Atk/12 Df/20 Spd). I guess I should have specified, since that could easily be confused. Also, I'm really not sure of how this would work, so you should probably test it before making it final, but you might try a Spiritomb lead. He would work better than a CBGross because he can pseudo trap with Pursuit, Burn things, and Taunt Bronzong leads (that's about all he's fast enough for. The set looks like this.

Spiritomb@Leftovers
Careful Nature (+SpDf -SpAtk)
EVs: 252 HP/140 Atk/116 SpDf
-Sucker Punch/Taunt
-Pursuit/Taunt
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split

This guy can Taunt setup leads if you give him that, Burn leads that use physical attacks like Metagross and Hippowdom, and/or hurt ones that flee from him.

This is just a suggestion and might not play the way you want him to, so you might want to test this before editing it into your team. I hope it works, but if not, I guess Metagross will have to do. Sorry for spacing everything over a bunch of posts, but I didn't think of it until now.
Yeah, that Spiritomb doesn't really feel right with that moveset. I see it more as a status-inflicting Pokemon, and I don't see it as a successful Taunt Pokemon. Edited Metagross as well.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:07 PM
pokemon-master Offline
New Trainer

Cool Re: Rate My Team(Favorites)

Quote:

Metagross @ Choice Band
- Explosion
- Meteor Mash
- Thunderpunch
- Earthquake
---
- Ice Shard
- Night Slash
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance
---
Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
---
Rotom-w @ Choice Specs
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
---
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Mirror Coat
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Counter
---
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Confuse Ray
- Dark Pulse
- Pain Split
---

I say you take out spiritomb and put in a charizard with moves:blast burn,heat wave,dragon pulse,flamethrower. and i also say you put out porygon 2 and put in an electrive or a raichu if you put raichu teach it:strength,thunderbolt,thunder( or volt tackle) and iron tail/if you put in electrive teach it:thunder,thunder punch(or thunderbolt),flamethrower and giga impact.that is my opinion.hope i helped
Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemon-master View Post
I say you take out spiritomb and put in a charizard with moves:blast burn,heat wave,dragon pulse,flamethrower. and i also say you put out porygon 2 and put in an electrive or a raichu if you put raichu teach it:strength,thunderbolt,thunder( or volt tackle) and iron tail/if you put in electrive teach it:thunder,thunder punch(or thunderbolt),flamethrower and giga impact.that is my opinion.hope i helped
Without trying to sound too rude, that's aweful advice. I see you're new so I'd recommend that you hang around the forums and learn the fundaments of competetive battling before giving out advice again, since you broke quite a few of them in a single sentence.

EDIT: No comments to add concerning the team, absol power's covered the majority.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Brit134444 Offline
Master Trainer

EXCELLENT! But....what`s with Explosion? It`s good for a last resort but....I think Metagross is capable of learning better moves. I absolutely love your team but I guess I never liked or got the point of sacrifice moves like Selfdestruct,Explosion,Healing Wish,Lunar Dance,Memento....etc..But keep up the excellent work!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Tranquil Leafeon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit134444 View Post
EXCELLENT! But....what`s with Explosion? It`s good for a last resort but....I think Metagross is capable of learning better moves. I absolutely love your team but I guess I never liked or got the point of sacrifice moves like Selfdestruct,Explosion,Healing Wish,Lunar Dance,Memento....etc..But keep up the excellent work!
Scenario: You have a Metagross at 10%, your opponent has a full health Swampert. What do you do? Rather than EQ it and die without severely hurting it, you Explode on it to kill both of you. Explosion lets you take out troublesome Pokemon who would do heavy damage to your team otherwise. Memento is used to force a switch as well as get a free one of your own, and is a great move for dual screeners. Explosion also works for them. Healing Wish and Lunar Dance are the worst of the ones you named, but can let your Pokemon have a potential second sweep.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:32 AM
Brit134444 Offline
Master Trainer

Unhappy Re: Rate My Team(Favorites)

Meh....I guess. But I never liked those kind of moves.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Sebastien Loeb Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:

Metagross @ Choice Band
- Explosion
- Meteor Mash
- Thunderpunch
- Earthquake
---
- Ice Shard
- Night Slash
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance
---
Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
---
Rotom-w @ Choice Specs
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
---
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Mirror Coat
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Counter
---
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Confuse Ray
- Dark Pulse
- Pain Split
---

Team a too old, is not proper for the actual metagame.