Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:57 AM
DragoniteMistress Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to DragoniteMistress Send a message via Yahoo to DragoniteMistress
Default Right to bear arms

RKBA! The right to keep and bear arms. Yeah, the second amendment. Oh joy for paying attention in civics class.

In news, an 11-year old boy was sent to the ER in Brooklyn after being shot in the head by a stray bullet. A stray bullet ohnoez. But yes, which means someone shot a gun. Which means someone owned/has possession of a gun. Need I break it down any more?

What is your opinion on the right to bear arms?

Yes, it can be used as a means of protection, but so can other... not as lethal "weapons" that work just as efficiently, and not as over-the-top violently. Mace, anyone? In all personal opinion, guns just go over the top with self-defense. You can just as easily protect yourself with a can of Mace than with a loaded gun in your purse. And, what of so many countless injuries of children shooting off guns after finding them in their parents' closets? Yes, that is the parents' fault, but if they didn't even own a gun (which they probably will never need to shoot, in the first place), then the whole ordeal could have, and would have been avoided.

Discuss plz, just don't hate each other ;)
Old 06-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Synester Offline

Send a message via AIM to Synester
Default Re: Right to bear arms

If I want to cut off a bear's arms and put them on the wall I will damn it . And no one can stop me from doing so .
Old 06-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Singapore has one of the world's lowest crime rates. And it bans the use of guns. Go figure.

So, no guns please. Only makes things worse.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:15 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoniteMistress View Post
RKBA! The right to keep and bear arms. Yeah, the second amendment. Oh joy for paying attention in civics class.

In news, an 11-year old boy was sent to the ER in Brooklyn after being shot in the head by a stray bullet. A stray bullet ohnoez. But yes, which means someone shot a gun. Which means someone owned/has possession of a gun. Need I break it down any more?

What is your opinion on the right to bear arms?

Yes, it can be used as a means of protection, but so can other... not as lethal "weapons" that work just as efficiently, and not as over-the-top violently. Mace, anyone? In all personal opinion, guns just go over the top with self-defense. You can just as easily protect yourself with a can of Mace than with a loaded gun in your purse. And, what of so many countless injuries of children shooting off guns after finding them in their parents' closets? Yes, that is the parents' fault, but if they didn't even own a gun (which they probably will never need to shoot, in the first place), then the whole ordeal could have, and would have been avoided.

Discuss plz, just don't hate each other ;)
Well it did happen in Brooklyn........

But to be serious:
I (personally) do not like guns and I'll properly never own one, but...... I think should have the right. They're are ways to prevent accidents and kids getting into them, so It's just the adult's respondiblity to prevent it.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 06-09-2009, 03:18 AM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post
Singapore has one of the world's lowest crime rates. And it bans the use of guns. Go figure.

Orly? Because England has banned guns (and most weapons), and they have a huge crime rate involving weapons. Go figure.

Here's the deal. If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Most guns used to commit violent crime are bought illegally anyways. Banning guns will only take them away from the people that should have them. Punishing those that did no wrong is not the right way to deal with guns. Instead, we need to crack down on people selling guns illegally.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 AM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Send a message via AIM to Shen Send a message via MSN to Shen Send a message via Yahoo to Shen Send a message via Skype™ to Shen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post

Singapore is also a hell of a lot smaller than the U.S., with less people to do crime, less areas, etc.

I'm honestly not sure where I stand on this issue. Sure, banning guns from being able to be owned by any random person might be better, and maybe not. There are many more weapons than guns. People have robbed convenience stores with baseball bats and knives, of course. Yes, kids have hurt themselves when they find their parents' gun and set it off in their curiosity. Yes, people have been hit by stray bullets from a gun being fired. There is only one thing I can really say to this.

Sh*t happens.

We'll have less kids hurting themselves with a found gun, but that's the thing about kids. Unless they're surrounded by foam and padding, they'll find a way to hurt themselves. It's part of growing up, you hurt yourself, you learn, and you live on.

Another thing. Just because you wouldn't allow civilians to have guns doesn't mean that those criminal minds wouldn't get guns on their own and shoot everything up if whatever crime they commit calls for it. Also, crimes have been actually prevented by civilians with guns, whether they be the cashier, or some random guy who has a gun permit, sees a crime in progress, and holds the fort until the police get there. Guns have saved about as much as they have killed.

I know some people go, "Why not just get rid of all the guns in the world? Then there wouldn't be war, no one would be killing one another, and there would be world peace. amirite?" Uh, no. Bullcrap. Somehow, humans would find a way to kill one another, whether with blades, blunt weapons, or even their own damn fists. It's engraved into civilization, practically. One way or another, people will kill other people, wars will be fought, etc.

So it's hard to decide where I may stand on this issue, but for now, since I fight for the U.S. and the Constitution as long as I am in the Army, I will defend every right guaranteed in that document.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:37 AM
Akai Shizuku Offline

I prefer bladed weapons over firearms. More visceral, more skill-oriented, and doesn't kill innocent bystanders.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best." -Karen
~I support Leading Light Communism~
Old 06-09-2009, 04:44 AM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shen View Post
We'll have less kids hurting themselves with a found gun, but that's the thing about kids. Unless they're surrounded by foam and padding, they'll find a way to hurt themselves. It's part of growing up, you hurt yourself, you learn, and you live on.
Except, you know, its really hard to 'live on' after you get a bullet in the face. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akai Shizuku View Post
I prefer bladed weapons over firearms. More visceral, more skill-oriented, and doesn't kill innocent bystanders.
I agree. Swords ftw.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 AM
TheEvilDookie Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheEvilDookie Send a message via MSN to TheEvilDookie Send a message via Skype™ to TheEvilDookie

Ah the second amendment. Just from my perspective, you shouldn't be allowed to carry guns in the city at all. You can keep em in your house and maybe car and for hunting purposes, but that's it. :P

^ Anastasia-R ^
Current VPP: Palkia > Level 100: 6987
Old 06-09-2009, 04:50 AM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Send a message via AIM to Shen Send a message via MSN to Shen Send a message via Yahoo to Shen Send a message via Skype™ to Shen

Quote:
Sure it does, when a knife/sword/some-kind-of-blade/etc.-wielding maniac goes after innocent bystanders for murder/homicide/etc. The point being that getting rid of guns in the hands of civilians will only change the world little for the better, and more than likely for the worse. Because as rust said, criminals would still get guns, since they get them illegally now anyways, and we'd be able to defend ourselves less if they have guns and we do not.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Gokudera-Kun

Quote:
Lol, my friend always says that we should "go back to medievel times" and use stuff like swords, maces, bow and arrows, etc. Hell, we'd see it coming right?

Honestly, even if we outlaw guns, it won't matter. Aren't Cocaine, Speed, Marijuana illegal in the U.S? But people still die of drug overdose, do they not? If anything, banning guns will make things just as bad. That's the way our screwed-up world works, and nothing can change that.

VPP: Giratina, Level100 @ 4,554
Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Akai Shizuku Offline

Outlawing guns would only keep the law-abiding good guys from getting at them, criminals don't care. Guns would need to disappear.

I own a katana, a tanto (samurai knife), military tactical combat knife, a bo (staff), and a bokken (wooden training sword).

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best." -Karen
Old 06-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Akai Shizuku Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shen View Post
Sure it does, when a knife/sword/some-kind-of-blade/etc.-wielding maniac goes after innocent bystanders for murder/homicide/etc. The point being that getting rid of guns in the hands of civilians will only change the world little for the better, and more than likely for the worse. Because as rust said, criminals would still get guns, since they get them illegally now anyways, and we'd be able to defend ourselves less if they have guns and we do not.
As I've said.

Bad guys who want to kill will kill, whether they have weapons or not. Weapons just make the job easier.

By "get rid of guns" I meant making them completely disappear. But that can't happen. So...yeah. We're not exactly on opposite sides, here.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Blood Red Lucario Offline

Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Blood Red Lucario

When I think about banned guns I think about the Prohibition Act come to mind. It's as Lord Celebi says if you ban guns outlaws will only have guns.

But personally I can't stand for the banning of guns because simply if a guy with a knife tries to rob me I have a gun. Dragonitemistress may be right a can of mace can do a lot with less violence and death but the problem with mace is the fact that it just can't match the psychological effect of a gun. A gun that isn't even loaded can scare off a mugger unless he really is desperate.

But the accidents while sad are usually not due to legally owned guns. They occur mostly in shootouts that usually have to do with criminal activity. And then again it's the parents fault for not parenting and teaching their kid that guns are bad unless you are in a life death situation. My dad not only showed me where his gun is but told what is an appropriate time to use it. Keeping thing hidden leads to kids finding and going, "Look its a gun like in the the movies," which leads to them playing with the gun like it's a toy and as few of us know it is not.

Most of the gun related accidents occur because of bad handling of one's personal firearm or criminal activity. But then there is always that question does having the possession of a gun lead to criminal acts? I would answer yes if the person is stupid because its like leaving your name, address, and other information for law enforcement to use to find you.

Absol Hatches: 27 Level 100: 312

All credit goes to Knightblazer
URPG
Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Gokudera-Kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Lucario View Post
And then again it's the parents fault for not parenting and teaching their kid that guns are bad unless you are in a life death situation.
I agreed with you up until here. That is just the sorriest of excuses a kid can give that people actually buy into. I've caught myself using that excuse. You mean to tell me that if anybody under 18 shoots some white/black/hispanic/Does it really matter? person, it's the parents' fault? By that logic, I can push this kid down the stairs, tell people "My dad didn't teach me how dangerous stairs are" and get off scoff free. Some of these things are common sense. I see a gun, it goes bang, don't touch it. Don't they do that whole safety seminar starting in what? Second Grade? I remember hearing those stories and seeing those pictures of what guns do, I didn't touch one until I was thirteen. No offense to anybody, but after seeing a picture of a dude with a frickin' hole in his head and seeing what put that hole in his head, and still put your hands on that, that's gotta be the dumbest thing you can do. So yeah, take into consideration the fact that most schools have some form of Gun Safety. In fact, I think in some places, it's a certified law. Even if the parents don't tell a kid that guns are bad, the schools have to. It doesn't have to be anything complicated, just say this "Guns kill people. If you see a gun, don't use it. If you shoot anybody, you will go to jail and get a human tetanus shot from some guy named Leslie." That pretty much drills it into a kid's head that guns kill people, and that makes the trigger feel like it's one thousand pounds. Stupid, INCREDIBLY pissed off, or under the influence(but that's a different story), the excuse doesn't matter, they pick up a gun, in some way or another they heard that guns kill people, they ignore that and kill someone, they go to jail. It has nothing to do with the parents.

Ok, I'm done rambling.

VPP: Giratina, Level100 @ 4,554

Last edited by Gokudera-Kun; 06-09-2009 at 08:31 AM.