Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Giratina Offline

Default Fanfic pet peeves?

You know you have one.

Everyone has that certain thing in fanfiction that just drives them up the wall, but isn't so serious it has to be addressed seriously. It just ticks you off so much... so what is it?

Well, for me, it's people posting profiles for their characters... before the story is even posted (even worse if they update it as the story progresses without a spoiler warning). For one thing, if you want to introduce the characters DO IT IN MEWIN' CONTEXT. It looks better, and it increases the chapter's size. Plus, it just makes you look lazy for not bothering to introduce us to the characters 'correctly'.

In roleplays? Sure. Fanfics? Not so much.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 06-04-2009, 12:40 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Default Re: Fanfic pet peeves?

For me?

Well, the biggest one is poorly thought out and written villains. The ones who have no personality, no back story, and seem to be there just to make the heroes look good.

I also hate when all the villains have or are pokemon commonly stereotyped as evil, though I don't mind it if the villains are done well and have a reason for the way they are.

I also don't like it when important battles are too one-sided or predictable.

There's more, but I can't think of them at the moment....

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 06-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
I also hate when all the villains have or are pokemon commonly stereotyped as evil, though I don't mind it if the villains are done well and have a reason for the way they are.
YES!! SAME!!! Usually Dark types are seen as evil (lol, your Houndour! xD). And big Pokemon. But, I mean--a Togepi can be evil too, right?! Or a Pikachu? They're usually the good ones. xD

I actually have a thing with Pokemon fan fics how something like a simple Scratch attack could make a Pokemon bleed and then get infected and then they could die from it. -.- I know it's realistic, and animals can get injured by scratches, but it seems wrong with Pokemon. Especially with the anime and the games--how everything's simple and doesn't kill them. I mean, it does make it easier to write and stuff, but yeah... x3 Doesn't make the story less good, though. :P I mean, two of my favourite stories - TPoD and AWSB - have the bleeding Scratch thing. xP

~Xanthe.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Giratina Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful_Suicune View Post
a Togepi can be evil too, right?! Or a Pikachu?
Or a... Mesprit? [brick'd repeatedly]

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 06-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratina View Post
Or a... Mesprit? [brick'd repeatedly]
xD Yeah. Legendaries can be secretly evil...right? x3

OH! I remembered another one! I really hate it when people say: 'people' instead of 'Pokemon' when they're talking about Pokemon. >.<

Like in PMD1:
Your partner to Team Meanies: "Who are you people?"
Team Meanies: "We're Team Meanies!"

Arg, it's annoying. >.> They're not people...they're Pokemon! *explodes*

It's also kinda annoying how people use the Pokemon's species as their names...it's like calling a dog 'Dog' or a beaver 'Beaver'!

~Xanthe.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Old 06-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Giratina Offline

That last one is more a PUSA pet peeve than anything else, but the others do annoy me. xD

(vpp da)
Old 06-07-2009, 02:31 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful_Suicune View Post

YES!! SAME!!! Usually Dark types are seen as evil (lol, your Houndour! xD). And big Pokemon. But, I mean--a Togepi can be evil too, right?! Or a Pikachu? They're usually the good ones. xD

I actually have a thing with Pokemon fan fics how something like a simple Scratch attack could make a Pokemon bleed and then get infected and then they could die from it. -.- I know it's realistic, and animals can get injured by scratches, but it seems wrong with Pokemon. Especially with the anime and the games--how everything's simple and doesn't kill them. I mean, it does make it easier to write and stuff, but yeah... x3 Doesn't make the story less good, though. :P I mean, two of my favourite stories - TPoD and AWSB - have the bleeding Scratch thing. xP

~Xanthe.

My houndour? You know, you really need to catch up on my story-Blazefang's far from the worst 'bad guy' my characters have to face xD

-My Links-
Old 06-07-2009, 02:38 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Mmm, well this isn't really a pet peeve about the fan fiction itself but more about the authors themselves, but I'll throw it in there anyway because really, it's the main thing that grinds my nerves.

My biggest pet peeve about fan fiction has to be when an author writes a chapter or fan fic, a reviewer takes their time to point out repetitive mistakes, and the author merely says "thanks" but doesn't even try to correct him/herself when they write more. I mean, that person took their time read and correct the person in order for the author to get better. It's like a slap in the face: it's extremely rude and it stings.

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 06-07-2009, 03:09 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Quote:
My houndour? You know, you really need to catch up on my story-Blazefang's far from the worst 'bad guy' my characters have to face xD
Sorry. >.< Yeah, I guess. x3
I'm trying, I'm trying. +_+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
Mmm, well this isn't really a pet peeve about the fan fiction itself but more about the authors themselves, but I'll throw it in there anyway because really, it's the main thing that grinds my nerves.

My biggest pet peeve about fan fiction has to be when an author writes a chapter or fan fic, a reviewer takes their time to point out repetitive mistakes, and the author merely says "thanks" but doesn't even try to correct him/herself when they write more. I mean, that person took their time read and correct the person in order for the author to get better. It's like a slap in the face: it's extremely rude and it stings.

- Kat
Yep, I hear ya. :P Sometimes the author may not realise at times, but yeah. x3 Or when they don't correct those mistakes in that particular chapter, too. :P

~Xanthe.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:15 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Quote:
Sorry. >.< Yeah, I guess. x3
I'm trying, I'm trying. +_+
It's ok, I just thought I'd mention that. Plus I think of Blazefang as more misguided than evil xD Just wait until you see the pokemon who's the real problem. >:3

-My Links-
Old 06-07-2009, 03:22 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Quote:
It's ok, I just thought I'd mention that. Plus I think of Blazefang as more misguided than evil xD Just wait until you see the pokemon who's the real problem. >:3
xD Okay. xDD Good point.
Okay. :3 I'll try to catch up. xD

Sorry about the off-topicness. x3

~Xanthe.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:24 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Yeah, "evil" characters that have no backstory aren't interesting. It took me two-three years to come up with Nazo and Tatsujin, and they've been the best villains I've ever made ^^

A big pet peeve of mine is not spelling out "two" and other numbers. You HAVE to spell out one-ten, numbers higher than that are 11....etc, unless you have 18, and say, seven, in the same sentence. It would then be 18 and 7.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:36 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassy_Aggron View Post
Yeah, "evil" characters that have no backstory aren't interesting. It took me two-three years to come up with Nazo and Tatsujin, and they've been the best villains I've ever made ^^

A big pet peeve of mine is not spelling out "two" and other numbers. You HAVE to spell out one-ten, numbers higher than that are 11....etc, unless you have 18, and say, seven, in the same sentence. It would then be 18 and 7.
xD Yeah. Well, I don't think I've written a full story before that has significant evil characters, but in my recent stories I have profiles for them. :3

Yeah. xD I always tell people off for writing the figure rather than the number in letters. I'd spell out basically any number, I suppose. And also when people write the time, like:
"Oh, wow! It's already 8:00pm!" ... That's annoying. x3

~Xanthe.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:41 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassy_Aggron View Post

Oh yeah, that's annoying as well. (And I also agree with what Kat said).

Oh, another thing that annoys me is when authors give their characters faults, but it either never comes up or isn't much of a problem for the character.

-My Links-
Old 06-07-2009, 03:45 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Yeah! That's so annoying Scy! XD

I mean, I made Cami super strong, but she's accident prone. And guess what? She got injured more than half the time XD

Nazo's scar was caipitalized on several times (his other weakness...No opportunity was really presented). I mean, even an "Ubur" character has to have a weakness. It wouldn't make it fair for the heroes, after all XP