Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 PM
AUfan Offline

Default please rate my new team

This is a new team I made consisting entirely of pokemon I like. I decided to take my 6 favorite pokemon, and try to mix them into a team. This is what I got. Please give me your opinion about how I can improve the team.

Skarmory
item: shed shell
nature: impish
ability: keen eye
252 HP, 64 atk, 176 def, 16 spe
Drill peck
Roost
Stealth Rock
Roar

Typhlosion
item: choice scarf
nature: modest
ability: blaze
252 spA, 252 spe, 4 HP
Eruption
flamethrower
focus blast
hiddenpower (electric)

Umbreon
item: leftovers
nature: calm
ability: synchronize
252 HP, 92 SpD, 164 Spe
Wish
Baton Pass
Substitute
Dark Pulse

These 3 pokemon are my favorite pokemon in the game. I have used them since silver, and Im keeping them on the team. If however, you have any suggestions on how I can improve them, please let me know. The next 3 pokemon are not permanent additions to the team. They can be replaced and if you think they should, please let me know.

Vileplume
item: black sludge
nature: bold
ability: chlorophyll
252 HP, 128 SpD, 124 Def
Moonlight
Energy Ball
Aromatherapy
Sludge Bomb

I know sleep powder would be a better option than sludge bomb but I dont like vileplume being completely helpless against the 7 types that resist grass. Vileplume is a surprisingly tough pokemon though. It can tank pretty well against moves that arnt super effective against it. Its primary purpose however is Aromatherapy support.

Heracross
item: choice band
nature: adamant
ability: swarm
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Megahorn
Close Combat
Aerial Ace
Stone Edge

A generic choice bander.

Crobat
item: lum berry (please give opinions on a better option)
ability: inner focus
252 atk, 252 spe, 4 HP
Brave Bird
Cross poison
X-Scissor
Haze

Should I replace x-scissor with roost? anyway, crobat is pretty powerful and is my only real option against an infernape...who can destroy most of my team. Crobat can sweep pretty well but I decided to give him Haze for some added support.

So there is my team. Any suggestions or advice?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:23 AM
FrozenVirus Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUfan View Post
This is a new team I made consisting entirely of pokemon I like. I decided to take my 6 favorite pokemon, and try to mix them into a team. This is what I got. Please give me your opinion about how I can improve the team.

Skarmory
item: shed shell
nature: impish
ability: keen eye
252 HP, 64 atk, 176 def, 16 spe
Drill peck
Roost
Stealth Rock
Roar

Typhlosion
item: choice scarf
nature: modest
ability: blaze
252 spA, 252 spe, 4 HP
Eruption
flamethrower
focus blast
hiddenpower (electric)

Umbreon
item: leftovers
nature: calm
ability: synchronize
252 HP, 92 SpD, 164 Spe
Wish
Baton Pass
Substitute
Dark Pulse

These 3 pokemon are my favorite pokemon in the game. I have used them since silver, and Im keeping them on the team. If however, you have any suggestions on how I can improve them, please let me know. The next 3 pokemon are not permanent additions to the team. They can be replaced and if you think they should, please let me know.

Vileplume
item: black sludge
nature: bold
ability: chlorophyll
252 HP, 128 SpD, 124 Def
Moonlight
Energy Ball
Aromatherapy
Sludge Bomb

I know sleep powder would be a better option than sludge bomb but I dont like vileplume being completely helpless against the 7 types that resist grass. Vileplume is a surprisingly tough pokemon though. It can tank pretty well against moves that arnt super effective against it. Its primary purpose however is Aromatherapy support.

Heracross
item: choice band
ability: swarm
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Megahorn
Close Combat
Aerial Ace
Stone Edge

A generic choice bander.

Crobat
item: lum berry (please give opinions on a better option)
ability: inner focus
252 atk, 252 spe, 4 HP
Brave Bird
Cross poison
X-Scissor
Haze

Should I replace x-scissor with roost? anyway, crobat is pretty powerful and is my only real option against an infernape...who can destroy most of my team. Crobat can sweep pretty well but I decided to give him Haze for some added support.

So there is my team. Any suggestions or advice?
Please don't tell me you're going to lead with Skarmory. It's been done before, but it's not advised. From what I see, Crobat would be a decent lead, but then you won't be able to use it as a sweeper.

Otherwise, Skarmory definitely wants Brave Bird over Drill Peck because of the huge boost in damage, and anyways it can recover with Roost so the recoil isn't a problem. Roar is fine, but Whirlwind could also work as well in case of pokes with Soundproof (like Mr. Mime, I once encountered one in a BP chain, and since I only had Roar I was screwed over).

I like your Typhlosion, but Focus Blast would not at all be effective against Blissey. Blissey is an obvious switch-in to Typhy, and once she does you'll essentially have to switch out, as a Thunder Wave would mean disaster. Therefore, why not replace Focus Blast with Focus Punch to give Blissey a serious @$$ kicking? Then again, you could always lead with it, and use Overheat instead of Eruption. In this case you'd want to use a Mild or Rash nature.

Umbreon is very slow, and it has better physical attack, so why not use Payback instead of Dark Pulse? You could also try to be creative and use the Curse variant, which can seriously surprise your opponent. Umbreon has naturally high special defense, and although its defense is already decent enough Curses would make it very hard to take down. Payback would have a guaranteed 100 base power (150 with STAB) if you Curse enough times. Sassy would be the preferred nature here.

Well, Vileplume is an odd choice, and it seems a bit redundant using it as a wall as you have Skarm for physical attacks and Umbreon (with 130 base special defense!) for special. Why don't you try a Sub-Seeder variant?

Vileplume @ Big Root (or Leftovers)
Calm / Chlorophyll
252 HP / 136 Def / 128 SDef
~ Substitute
~ Leech Seed
~ Stun Spore
~ Sludge Bomb

Hm...Heracross is fine except for Aerial Ace? Why would you use that =_=? Unless enemy Heracross really threaten you that much...but you've got Skarm to take care of them anyways. Use Pursuit to eliminate fleeing Psychics, namely Starmie, who fears Megahorn.

Hm...Crobat's Lead variant would look like this

Crobat @ Leftovers
Jolly / Inner Focus
104 HP / 152 Atk / 252 Spd
~ Brave Bird
~ Taunt
~ Roost
~ U-turn

What's awesome about Crobat is that it's got one of the fastest Taunts in the game. You could also try a Hypnosis variant, but they aren't as common. By the way, you don't need a Hazer as you've already got a pHazer in Skarm.

Otherwise, if you really want to use it as a sweeper....

Crobat @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Jolly / Inner Focus
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
~ Brave Bird
~ U-turn > X-Scissor
~ Cross Poison
~ Pursuit