Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Kid_Eternity Offline
Amateur Trainer

Default A succesful Focus Punch?

This is probably old school and pretty much old, but I've had trouble getting any CONFIRMED info on how to execute a perfect Focus Punch without any negative status effects on my opponent (sleep, paralyze, etc.), what is the secret to executing a perfect Focus Punch?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Max-Attack Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: A succesful Focus Punch?

A good strategy that I like to use is Substitute + Focus Punch. I have success with this 99% of the time, in-game at least.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-Attack View Post
A good strategy that I like to use is Substitute + Focus Punch. I have success with this 99% of the time, in-game at least.
As said above, you're garenteed to get at least one focus punch in when there's a sub sitting in front of you, so you can get the puncher to set one up itself or use a sub passer like jolteon to provide one. Alternatively switching in on Walls/support pokes can yield an easy opportunity to punch- they may try to recover, switch to another poke, set up barriers/entry hazards or status you. So long as they have reason not to attack you, you have the opportunity to fire off at least one FP
Old 04-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Quagsire Offline
Experienced Trainer

Just do a sub punch or just predict well enough. IE if you come in against a blissey its gunna run so you can focus punch. Sub+punch doesn't always work however as it can be encored.

IE breloom spores. i switch to alakazam while it subs. i encore it no focus punch ican set up.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Cucumber Offline

Send a message via AIM to Cucumber

Sub punching is the best way but some things like Scarf Typhlosion and Charizard predict switches and successfully pull it off.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Necromancer Offline

you can sub-punch very safe if the enemy is an tank. mostly, they carry moves like hypnosion or thunder wave, or something else. if you have higher speed, sub. they will do hypnosis, no effect, sub stays. focus punch, enemy attacks, sub breaks, you don't flinch and you perform an focus punch.

It would be awesome if someone could get me a signature made.