Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 PM
TheDarkEevee Offline

Default Re: Behind the Eyes of Cipher [PG-13] ~Chapter 4 Up!~

Very, very nice.

I noticed no mistakes in this chapter.

This is the best fan fiction I have read for quite a while. Great job. ^_^

~TheDarkEevee
Old 04-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Apollo the Incinermyn Offline
Amateur Trainer

Skills are showing well, but I have to say that the character portrayal is just slightly below what I typically read. Just slightly. I'm not sure what it is, though that's bugging me. Maybe just a slight drawing out of things is all, or perhaps it's nothing at all... Awesome job again, Silvyre!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Silvyre Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkEevee View Post
Very, very nice.

I noticed no mistakes in this chapter.

This is the best fan fiction I have read for quite a while. Great job. ^_^

~TheDarkEevee
Thanks so much 8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo the Incinermyn View Post
Skills are showing well, but I have to say that the character portrayal is just slightly below what I typically read. Just slightly. I'm not sure what it is, though that's bugging me. Maybe just a slight drawing out of things is all, or perhaps it's nothing at all... Awesome job again, Silvyre!
I do see what you mean, though. I've been going over some of the mistakes and I think that some of the characters need to be described better and have their own kind of dialogue. I'm going to try to improve that in the next chapter. Thank you, too ^^

Also, I'm working on Chapter Five, it'll be up by today (hopefully). =)

Banner by Arate || Behind the Eyes of Cipher
Look at its beauty! <--- Made by WWotS, fellow lover of Shadow Lugia. :o
Old 04-14-2009, 02:24 AM
TheDarkEevee Offline

Goodie!

I can't wait...
Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Silvyre Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: Behind the Eyes of Cipher [PG-13] ~Chapter 5 UP~

Chapter Five

Citadark Isle
Cipher HQ Shadow Laboratory
Two months before present

I had never expected this experiment to go so far.

When I joined Cipher, it was because I wanted to subject my scientific abilities to powerful studies. So people could recognize me for who I am as a Pokemon scientist. So I wouldn't be given the poor treatment or the resentment of my family and friends. Of course, upon my arrival, I was immediately put into the worst position possible, working my way up to where I am now. A shadow scientist. The term for people like me, who helped create the monsters that are shadow Pokemon.

In the beginning, it was just a rumor. A simple rumor... can you believe that? What everything is now was once a frail rumor? In any case, it later became a real command of Lord Kishiro's. We had to follow. With his money, he was able to fund the tools and techniques we needed to research the art of creating the Shadows.

I, for one, thought the idea was vile. I had believed that this science and research the administrators had us doing was all for the exploration into the mysteries of Pokemon. To find a further meaning and purpose of all Pokemon's existence. I quickly learned that my beliefs were laughed upon, my opinions of no matter. The experiments that Cipher wanted us to perform on Pokemon were, if anything, "exploration" into a Pokemon's deepest and strongest power.

But, I had to comply to commands, didn't I? And so I did. Several of us had found a way to genetically alter the DNA of a certain Pokemon being, and in the DNA we replaced, an artificial chemical was added. This chemical literally blocks several emotions that Cipher deemed trivial, such as love, joy, compassion. The subject is gentically made incapable of feeling said emotions. The experiment also loses any judgment of right and wrong that it once had, which is the cause for the Shadows' infuriated confusion post-transformation. Later, we grasped the fact that the Shadows need someone or something to turn to just after their transformation, as this is the time when it is nearly impossible to control the monsters' power.

That boy, Caiden. He's only a teenager, while I am nearing twenty-seven years old. And yet, he's one of the most experienced and talented battlers in the entire organization. I can tell he's going to be great; Lord Kishiro gives him enough praise to make everyone else wonder where he came from, how he came to be so special. I could care less. The only thing is, I met him one day - he was attempting to handle a Shadow for one of the first times. That day, he had been frightened, irritated, and confused, as I could see clearly. I'd seen him dazed and unsure of himself; others droned on about his mysterious power with clear admiration in their voices. So I saw him differently.

That day was the day that we created the idea of the Power Reflector. I'd always believed - and I've been haunted by this - that it was because of my encounter with the boy. Because of what he'd done to the shadow Pokemon, and what needed to happen. I helped create the Power Reflector, and it wasn't hard. Yet, I hate myself for it.

The wretched machine has affected the shadow Pokemon in the darkest of ways. When something becomes a monster, the next stage in the great descent of its life is to lose its energy and willpower completely. And, as I observe every day of my life, that is what's happening.

And as long as Caiden is here, in my opinion, things will only get worse.

Citadark Isle
Cipher Headquarters
Present

It had been four months since Caiden Hester was a mere lab experimenter for Cipher's shadow Pokemon. He was now referred to as Prime Executive Hester, the head instructor in battling and training shadow Pokemon. He never heard his first name anymore, but that was history since he had arrived at Cipher.

Caiden had been upgraded to a better room and a high-class uniform, eating with the other executives and administrators every night and day. He received praise from Lord Kishiro every once in a while; knowing the Kishiro family, however, that meant one was good enough. Caiden had even met Lord Kishiro's sons, Pryce and Alden, who were his second-hands next to Neccer. Though his life had been significantly improved in that time, Caiden felt like he was wasting away.

Every day, he woke up and was assigned students and shadow Pokemon to work with. Each day it was a different set of Pokemon and a different class. From there, he would work out the problems and eventually he would work the subordinates as hard as his instructors had once worked him. It's the only way they learn, he'd thought to himself, every time. Exhaust them until they know what they need to do to succeed. Caiden had formed a skillful group of battle partners, as Alden had once told him, and he was gradually making Cipher a stronger, thriving assembly of people. After a long day, Caiden would keep to himself, refraining from even talking to others who passed him by. His mind constantly wandered down strange paths; thoughts and feelings that he knew were wrong constantly bombarded him.

Caiden was slowly killing himself, the process beginning with his mind.

It was a cycle. He brought out his anger and confusion on the subordinates, in which case they would grow stronger from the pressure, in which case he would be given the occasional praise for making a "stronger Cipher", and then it would all lead back to the thoughts that came to him. He didn't understand most of what he'd been thinking, lately; his mind struggled with strange thoughts, mysterious and foreign. Things that were trivial, irrational, irrelevant - things like the guilt he felt, and what his conscience told him to do. Though he tried to shut them out entirely, they would not leave. He was tortured by it all...

And, of course, the guilt. Oh, but what Caiden had to feel guilty for: it was a list that was excrutiatingly long and unforgiving. Whenever he released a Shadow from its ball, he saw that indescribable look in its eyes, that seemed to plead for him to kill the Pokemon. Just kill me. Sometimes, Caiden would mutter to himself, wanting to talk back to the Pokemon but knowing he couldn't. It was an unexplainable feeling, but it occurred multiple times every day, which was emotional pressure and nearly unbearable for the boy.

The other main source of his trauma was stepping into the laboratory, and seeing the experiment room - or rather, what was in the experiment room. The reflectors. Caiden had once thought them to be quite incredible and admirable machines, making Pokemon as unapproachable and uncontrollable as the Shadows simply bow to their every command. But now, Caiden seemed to realize the process in which the Shadows conformed. Whatever immense power that the shadow Pokemon released was thrown right back at them every time, with double the power. How they're capable of taking that... Caiden would always think, giving himself goosebumps. And then they beg to be controlled. Though every time he left through those automatic steel doors, Caiden would shrug off the feeling and instead smile to himself, thinking, They're great and powerful and ours. All ours...

One night, Caiden had dreamed of the Blaziken's eyes. It had, since the day it became a Shadow, been put and kept under Cipher's control, yet to him the Pokemon still appeared as a figure of great reprimand. In the dream, he was being pushed and jabbbed by intense feelings of guilt and consciousness, but as always, Caiden's independence reigned in command, controlling those measly emotions. But in the end, Caiden could clearly hear a medley of familiar sounds: the Blaziken's irate cry, his mother's screeching voice, his sister's feeble cough, the scornful laugh of his subordinates, the sound of the trapped Pokemon in the chambers. In the end, another unfamiliar thought had inconspicuously made its way into his mind, adding to the haunting pile of thrown-away ideas and notions. Is there something I'm missing?

He'd woken with a start, finding himself drenched in sweat. The next morning, he got a call that Lord Kishiro wanted to see him in his office. Quickly showering to improve his appearance, Caiden complied, nearly sprinting into the lord's grand office. Inside, he found that he was not alone. The entire Kishiro family, as well as all the executives and higher administrators of Cipher, was seated in the large room.
"Good morning, seniors of Cipher," Lord Kishiro said in a velvety tone. He looked the usual - a thin, fake smile plastered on his otherwise lifeless, yet highly intimidating face. "I have some important news for all of you." Lord Kishiro stood, revealing a long, thick silver robe that reached his ankles. His hands were placed neatly together in front of his abdomen as he ambled down the rows of chairs.

"Lately, Cipher has reached its prime, as you all can tell," Lord Kishiro began. "That is thanks to all of us, but namely, the Kishiro family." He paused, expecting applause. His wish was granted.
The lord continued, smiling smugly. "In any case, we have reached our maximum production of shadow Pokemon, the ultimate weapon for our cause. As all of Cipher is currently in the process of learning to control such power, we will soon take our place as the most powerful organization in all of Orre. Soon, my people, Cipher will reign above all."

More applause. Caiden swallowed, hoping that Lord Kishiro's speech would not go where he thought it would go. "And so, I believe that now is the critical time to begin our taking over of Orre. The process will involve the obtaining of any and every Pokemon possible, and the transformation of said creatures into Shadows. Thus, we will prove to the region how powerful we really are; Cipher is not a force to oppose. The people of Orre will soon learn that, and they will bow to us on their knees, pleading for our every command." Applause erupted, but no one dared to cheer or whistle. The upper-class directors had to keep a civilized appearance, especially in front of Lord Kishiro.

The lord made his way to the front of the room, behind his desk. He smiled thinly at all of us, saying his last words before dismissing us. "We will begin extending our reaches into mainland Orre in the next month. Several of the administrators will be chosen to set up certain areas in Orre that will stand for secondary headquarters. Now, leave with the feeling that the critical day is upon us. Dismissed, seniors of Cipher."

Neccer suddenly stood and scrambled next to Lord Kishiro. He held a messy pad of paper. "Excuse me. All are dismissed except..." Irritably flipping through the pad of paper, Neccer began listing names. "Stone. Manor. Vicksworth. Celrod. James. Hester. Truman."

Caiden's pulse raced and all the color drained from his face. Usually, he would have been proud to be one of the special executives, receiving a good word from Lord Kishiro. But now, too much pressure was upon him. He felt surprisingly weak, and apprehensive of what was to come. Even still, Caiden made his way to the front, where other high executives and administrators sat. He could name every one of them - each specialized in physical instructing, tactics and studies in class, and even top scientists; but mainly they were battle instructors like himself. Some were physically well-built, while others were scrawny. In any case, Lord Kishiro began again.

"You have all been chosen as those who will first set out for mainland Orre to begin the takeover. Each of you will set up a temporary headquarters for Cipher on different areas of the map. Some have been assigned to old, abandoned buildings, while others must find a way to clear an area and make use of it. Is all understood?"

The others nodded almost mechanically. Caiden was late, but he too slowly bobbed his head up and down. Clear the area... He frowned, puzzled. Meaning, run them out? Or... kill?
"...to all of us. Now, make yourselves gone. I am weary and no longer wish to be in your presence."
Immediately, the executives sprang up and scrambled to the exit. Caiden could still hear the velvety, yet commanding voice of Lord Kishiro. It represented the impact of the impending events, an omnipotent feeling that lingered in him for many days to come.

Last edited by Silvyre; 04-21-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 AM
TheDarkEevee Offline

Once again, I have nothing to add. Great description, great dialouge. Great job. ^_^

~TheDarkEevee
Old 04-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Wow, great story. That Blaziken...It's going to play a role, I can tell XD Can't wait for more ;D
Old 04-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Silvyre Offline
Experienced Trainer

Chapter Six

2 Bellvine Way, Agate Village, Orre
Agate Mayor's Residence
Two days after present

Aurora Pierson shifted uneasily in her seat, watching as her father made his way to the front of the crowd. The old man's gray beard was long and thick with age. He was preparing himself to speak to the couple hundred villagers, who were presently bickering and talking loudly over each other, filling the room with clamor and a chaotic atmosphere. Aurora did nothing but sit and stare at her quivering fingers placed in her lap.
The mayor of Agate, Eagun, smoothed his beard and announced, "Silence. Please, calm yourselves."

When that failed to do anything, he coughed loudly. "SILENCE!" he finally roared. The villagers' voices died away into a still quiet. Several of them sat down, their attention averted from squabbling.

Eagun cleared his throat and glanced at Aurora momentarily. His eyes were dull with anxiety and worry, much like Aurora knew hers were.
"Villagers of Agate," his raspy voice began. "I know you all are frightened at the events that have occurred recently. Though I cannot say that I am not afraid, I must implore you to calm yourselves. Worry and fear will only make the matter worse." Aurora heard a light sob from someone in the crowd.

Another spoke up. "Eagun, there's no way this could get worse! The Pokemon have been stolen!" A dark murmur of whispers and moans spread quickly through the crowd. The man who had spoken up continued. "They've taken the very essence of the Relic Stone, Eagun!"
"I know that," Eagun replied wearily. "How do you think they carried out such a feat? They had to battle me, and they won. Against me and all the guardians of the Shrine." He bowed his head, and Aurora coulddimly make out the glistening of tears. "I fear... I fear that they may have critically injured the spirit of Celebi. Maybe not intentionally, but that's not the matter."
An infuriated, shocked gasp echoed in the villagers' voices. More shrieks and sobs.
Eagun raised his old head, and his beard swayed. "But villagers, we must have hope. Hope may get the village Pokemon back, and it may save Celebi from their further actions."

"But who are they, Father?"

Aurora's velvety, striking voice was tinged with clear uncertainty and dread. Eagun gazed directly into her eyes.
"I don't know, Aurora. I simply do not know." He sighed, a deep hum coming from his throat. "They called themselves Cipher."

More restless whispers; more apprehensive weight-shifting. Aurora blinked and lowered her head to once more stare at her lap. Her eyebrows furrowed together into a deep scowl. You... I remember you. Of Cipher... she thought, clenching her hands into fists. Her fingernails nearly pierced her skin. I'll find you. And you will pay... you will pay dearly for what you've done.

Citadark Isle
Cipher Headquarters
Present

"Vicksworth... assigned to Zone 5, objective Realgam Tower. Celrod... assigned to Zone 4, objective Phenac City. Manor... assigned to Zone 1, objective the Outskirts. Stone... assigned to Zone 3, objective Pyrite Town. James... assigned to Zone 6, objective Gateon Port."

As Neccer barked the rough commands, he was returned, from each of the executives, a brief salute. Caiden's rigid face showed no agitation as Cipher's second-in-command stopped in front of him, the last in line. Neccer's glaring, severe figure towered over Caiden's. "And Hester... assigned to Zone 2, objective Agate Village." Nodding, Caiden swung his straightened hand to his forehead and back in compliance. Neccer stood back and examined every one of the zone leaders, or commanders.

"As you all know, I will be taking care of Zone 0, Orre's Key Science Lab; Commander Alden and Commander Pryce will be in control of Zone 7, Mt. Battle. Each of you will have many recruits, so you should be able to carry out orders in the utmost precision. Is this understood, commanders?"
"Sir, yes sir." The line saluted once more. Neccer nodded curtly, and promptly dismissed them all to prepare.

In the last month, Caiden - as well as some of the other executives around the battle facilities - had been preparing himself for this day. He had trained himself not to give in to those strange, absurd thoughts; to instead disregard them completely. He became even more solid than he was before. His learned students, as well as the shadow Pokemon he trained, were developing into swift, sharp battlers. He had trained an excellent section of the army, for the most part. After Neccer relayed Lord Kishiro's instructions, Caiden was sure his zone would be able to accomplish what needed to be done.

But that was not important now. What was important - to Caiden, at least - was preparing for the unexpected, and setting up the base. The Kishiro family, beforehand, had owned many houses and manors in Orre before leaving them all for Citadark Isle; one of them was a small worker's shack in Gateon Port, where Caiden had once gone seeking help from a Cipher agent. Thus, Cipher could easily renounce the abandoned buildings and do whatever they wanted with them. Ideally, establish several zone headquarters, which was what Caiden and the other commanders intended to do.

Caiden immediately made his way to the sector of the subordinates' chambers, where all Pokemon encaged had been successfully transformed. Though Caiden had thought there were many upon his first arrival there, he had different feelings now, after a year or so. There are too little of them. If they're to be our weapons, they must be in numbers. Smirking at them in a satirizing manner, Caiden strode down the hall of shrieks and roars toward the elevator. He slid his new, pure white card key that immediately granted him access to any secret, unknown place in the Headquarters. When the elevator dropped suddenly, Caiden was undaunted.

"Commander Hester," called one of the scientists nearby, approaching him with a slightly hobbling walk. "I have your subordinate combat partners. Yours are right this way." Following, Caiden let his gaze wander. The shadow Pokemon laboratory was nothing like it was when he'd first been there. It was brimming with shadow Pokemon, but no longer were they suspended in the columns of green fluid. Instead, they were being physically and emotionally tested, so as to make them stronger.

"This way." the scientist called. "Through this door."
"I heard you," Caiden growled. "Just walk, you filthy minor." The grubby scientist seemed to shrink away at Caiden's voice. He instead tried to walk faster, but eventually Caiden passed him and nearly slammed open the door ahead. Inside, silver-and-crimson pokeballs were placed carefully on racks upon racks. The room was small, but the amount of Shadows stored inside it amounted to a massive power. Caiden grinned once more. "You are dismissed."

"Yes, sir..." the scientist mumbled, hobbling away. Caiden rolled his eyes and the sight of the pathetic man, and he turned back to examine the separate racks, recalling his specific Shadows for the mission. Row Z2, from Z2-1 to Z2-16... there. Storing the pokeballs in his large case, Caiden left with the thought that sixteen shadow Pokemon was somewhat of a challenge. Although, this is Agate Village he wants me to do...

Heading back to his room with the Pokemon in tow, Caiden unexpectedly found himself reminiscing about being a subordinate. It was terrible, exhausting work, and he'd hated it. But it had gotten him to his current position. Work pays off anywhere, I suppose, he thought as two subordinates walked by him, nodding respectfully. Caiden averted his gaze and continued on toward the executive sector. He was hardly able to sleep, once again, as he thought about setting off for the mainland. His line of vision kept falling on the case of pokeballs that would soon be at his command. But this time, for greater things.

And only a day later, Caiden was leading a group of Cipher grunts to the Sierra, Lord Kishiro's primary traveling ship. It was used every once in a while, as the Kishiro family - especially the lord's wife - enjoyed visiting mainland Orre. I wonder if they make aliases, Caiden thought, bowing his head slightly. For a while, he watched his agents file onto the massive ship. A faint, crooked smirk tugged at his cheeks. In any case, they won't be needing one anymore. Once Cipher was totally accounted for onboard, the Sierra took off without so much as the blast of a horn. It moved silently and quickly through the waters, like a snake moving in on its prey.

As soon as Caiden opened the pokeball, his stomach flipped violently with surprise and shock. His body shuddered, eyes narrowed. Why... why is it always...? He was extraordinarily irritated by Neccer's poor choice of his own lead, but this was Cipher's first, and most likely only real mission. The Blaziken would have to do.

"Brrraaaooo," the flaming Pokemon growled quietly. Its red body shivered, not with cold, but with the same irritation as Caiden felt. Though Caiden tried not to look at it straight on, the Pokemon bore the same formidable expression as it always did. It seemed to say, tell me you're my superior, and I'll rip you open, because you know better. Caiden glanced at the Blaziken briefly, scowling, before he returned the Shadow inside the pokeball. He focused his stare on his segment. They were lined up in two organized rows, waiting for his command.

Caiden forced away the image of the intense red eyes, which seemed to be burning its image into his brain, and began. He singled out six of the fourteen in front of him. "You six, you'll go straight from here in the forest toward Agate. You'll ambush from the back and spread throughout the village."
"Yes, sir." Immediately, they were off, their Shadows bolting through the crowded forest.

Caiden's arm swept to the middle section. "You four will split into pairs and go through the sides. There's a waterfall at our left. One pair will enter through here, staying hidden until you've reached the targets."
Another round of nods and yes sir's, and the four agents were off. Caiden knew he could trust them, as two of them he was somewhat familiar with. They were lower-class executives from the battle training grounds.

He bore a cold stare into the final four. "And you will come with me. We will circle the village and enter from the front, so as to distract the villagers from those ambushing the back." He paused to organize his thoughts. "There, they will take care of the Relic Stone, as Lord Kishiro commanded it so. Understood?"
"Commander, yes sir."
"Good. Follow me and do not stray."

It only took some time before Caiden and his four agents heard the fierce sounds of battle. Faint at first, but still imminent, the screeches and gasps of staggered humans reached Cipher's ears. Roars, snarls, and battlecries of the Shadows had clearly stunned the villlagers more than they could have imagined. The captive Pokemon whined and cried and protested, but as Caiden could hear, it was all to no avail. As Caiden continued on, the sounds only increased. His heart began to beat faster with adrenaline, but there was something else. A misted feeling that Caiden could not place...
Oh Caiden... our goodbye was too short.
He stopped abruptly, bearing huge and mystified eyes, causing his subordinates to mumble amongst each other. Quickly, one of them spoke up. "Commander? Is there a problem?"

The voice, and the strange feeling of sympathy and regret, did not return to Caiden's mind. He shook his head, snorting.
"We'll be on our way. Quickly, let's get moving."
The Cipher agents weaved through the dense forest surrounding Agate. The noises coming from the village were the only thing Caiden heard. He fought the emotions that heaved his stomach, telling them that they were wrong, that he was their upper. They do not control me... not a commander. Caiden hastened his pace and saw the main, rugged path. Nearby, they could clearly see the sign that read, "Welcome to Agate Village". His subordinates followed his lead as Caiden released the Blaziken, tearing off toward the village. Caiden's heart beat furiously and was fueled by uncontrollable feelings. Wherever they came from, their energy would do the work.

The five Cipher agents poured in through the village's humble entryway, their shadow Pokemon howling and yipping with delight. The subordinates tried to control the Shadows as they leaped onto small buildings and harassed the people. Caiden's Blaziken mocked him as it pranced in front of him, leading the way. The Pokemon would screech and let loose a small flame in warning to anyone who got to close. Thus, the villagers quickly realized that they should fear Caiden and his Blaziken the most.

As he quickly made his way through the village, zigzagging through small huts and buildings, he saw the captive Pokemon being taken away by the Cipher agents. Most of the agents fled the village with the captive Pokemon, while the rest were headed for the Relic Stone, just as planned.

Blaziken growled and leaped up a ledge, spotting the entryway to to the shrine where - as Caiden knew now - the Relic Stone stood proudly. Fuming, he found a way to agilely leap over a small brook and up the ledge through its flanks. Blaziken and six of the remaining Cipher agents stood, holding their battle position.

"Who... who do you think you are, you fiends?" A raspy, aged voice came to Caiden's ears. It blocked out the other noises, something that he had desperately tried to do so before. He approached the voice slowly and heard the rabble of his subordinates.
"Give up, old man. You're surrounded and I have already symbolized the power of Cipher for you." One of the Cipher agents smirked cruelly. An old man, with heavy eyes and a thick, gray beard, was doubled over on the ground. Few other villagers were surrounding him; most of them were all too terrified to speak.

One was a girl around Caiden's age. As he glanced around, he saw her fixing green eyes glare back at him. But in a way that he'd never encountered; it was as if she and him were the only two people on the entire planet, and she was banishing him from his very existence. It was enthralling, yet terrifying at the same time. Caiden stared blankly in wonder.

"We don't have any need for him, let's go," a familiar voice muttered. Caiden was abruptly thrown out of his daze when his line of vision landed on Helen's masked face. "Commander Hester... he'll be waiting."
Holding his grin, the first agent responded, "You're lucky I didn't get to beat your face into the ground, hm? So stubborn..."
"Stop," Caiden growled. "Is everything accounted for?"
The subordinates nodded briefly. "Yes, sir."
"Then pull back, sector two." Immediately, the rest of the Cipher agents bolted away in different directions, Pokemon in tow. They'd all returned their shadow Pokemon except Caiden. He ignored the Blaziken, who trailed behind the agents to ward off anyone or anything who tried to oppose. As expected, no one dared to chase after Caiden and his sector.

An unexpected bellow echoed in Caiden's ears. "No... no! You can't... please!" The old man lay behind them, the amplitude of his voice decreasing as Cipher escaped the village. Caiden glanced behind him and saw Blaziken, tearing toward the front of the line. "PLEASE!" Sprinting as fast as he could now, Caiden winced. Though they easily made it back to the Zone 2 HQ, Caiden was nevertheless disturbed.

The same ghostly clear voice:
Caiden, you can't keep doing this.
How well that voice joined in with the flurry of other forgotten voices in his mind, his mother a prominent figure. And how well that girl mixed together with the images of the people who hated him beyond hate, as he'd thought the scientist, Helen, had since the struggle of taming the Shadows. These two, and countless more, were the voices of the emotions that Caiden blocked out entirely, to keep from being expelled from his position. Loss of control could lead to something unthinkable, and he knew it. I am their master. They follow my commands. Caiden's pulse raced faster than any adrenaline rush he'd felt before.
"This is getting to be out of hand... no, it can't go that way..." he murmured to himself, shivering slightly. Caiden ground his teeth together and squeezed his eyes shut, shaking it all away.

The fiery shadow beast stood silently in the background. It had not been returned to its pokeball yet. The Blaziken shied away from the Cipher agents but watched Caiden with the most passioniate and ferocious eyes. The shadow Pokemon could easily smell the fear and instability in Caiden's presence. Of course, it was as always. The Blaziken had since found that its commander was nothing more than a sorry heap of emotion. Yet, its glare seemed to have lessened in disdain and contempt.

Inside the temporary headquarters, Caiden and the Blaziken stood at opposite sides of a large room, at opposite ends of a large foodchain. But often this position changed and switched back and forth. One the leader, the other subordinate...

Last edited by Silvyre; 06-15-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Apollo the Incinermyn Offline
Amateur Trainer

Oh, I missed the last chapter... Sorry, but I got busy for a few days there. Awesome job still, Silvyre. Glad you took my earlier advice and try to make the characters a little less meh-ish.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:35 PM
TheDarkEevee Offline

Great job. Not your best chapter, but still a five-star one. Great job ^_^
Old 04-19-2009, 02:08 AM
Silvyre Offline
Experienced Trainer

Thank you both again ^-^ DarkEevee, would you mind expanding on that? What are some things you'd want to see improve?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 PM
TheDarkEevee Offline

Default Re: Behind the Eyes of Cipher [PG-13] ~Chapter 6 Up~

Yeah, sorry. I was kinda tired yesterday:

Kay, number one, I think you should have expanded on the fighting. Although there was obviously not a full fledged battle at Agate, you should have at least said more than that the Blaziken screeched and blew a small amount of flame.

Number two, I don't think you described Aurora enough. It's kinda feels like she was just slapped onto the chapter at the last minuet.

Number three, the part just before Caiden attacked Agate just feels... off.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Good chapter. I do wish we got to see the Blaziken do a little more, though. Blaziken's rule XD Can't wait for more ;)
Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 AM
Silvyre Offline
Experienced Trainer

All right, I don't think I'll totally edit the sixth chapter but I'll take that into mind for the next one. It kind of involves the same stuff, so hopefully it will be better. ^^ Thanks again!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:33 AM
Silvyre Offline
Experienced Trainer

Chapter Seven

Street 40, Gateon Port, Orre
Hester Residence
Present

The girl and her mother were curled up against each other in the cramped closet, their flowing tears intertwining in their proximity. The mother clutched her daughter with too much force, praying and begging for her life. Unimaginable scenarios ran through her head, an endless movie of possibilities. Maybe she would be taken and her daughter would escape; maybe she would be killed in place of her daughter; but maybe, as the mother's sobs grew more uncontrollable, she and her daughter would both be taken and... executed.

It was too much. The mother could only see the girl in her mind by clenching her eyes shut; the closet was too small and murky to see anything else. I won't be able to see her in flesh before we're both gone. All the while, she attempted to silence herself as the sound of heavy boots and hissing Pokemon grew louder in their ears.

The girl, on the other hand, was scared - no, terrified - for her mother. She knew quite plainly that her mother was a strong woman who had already bore the guilt of losing her eldest child. This, the girl knew, is the only thing that possesses the potential to kill the maternal. The girl had seen her mother in a horrifying state when her brother left, and she'd barely lived through it. It was more than just fear for her son, but it was the guilt of knowing that he had said goodbye, as well.

For a mother's child to be killed - not harassed, or even to leave their family - was something that girl knew would take that mother's life. It wouldn't be a quick, painless death, either. It would eat away at the mother entirely, slaughtering all hopes and dreams of a pleasurable life. And before anything worse would happen, the mother would eventually weep and bawl herself into a neverending slumber.

That was not how the girl wanted her mother to die. Consequently, she clung to her mother with the same shaky, wavering fingers and the same firm grip.

"I don't even see anyone in here," a low, quiet voice said to his partner. Shortly after, a Pokemon whined and snarled with impatience.
The mother hugged her daughter closer, trying to stifle the terrified moans that emitted from both of their throats.
A second pair of boots, clunking on the kitchen floor. "Search harder. We've gotta have something to bring back. Commander's expecting us."
"What, not the targets?"
"No, you imbecile. He wants humans from here."
"What the hell does he want? But whatever, I meant that there's no tr -- "
"BREEEEAAAEEE!" The sudden shriek of one of their Pokemon startled the girl. She yelped softly and turned her head away, hypervenilating.

The scuttling footsteps got closer to their closet, and suddenly the mother's enormous eyes fell upon a vicious-looking Breloom sticking its nose in the crack between the wall and the door. Her already uncontrollable shivers increased, and she too turned her head away. Clunking boots made the floor shake beneath them...

The door burst open. An explosion of of yellow kitchen light, and the blurred voices of the two men.

"Agh, the curs. How could you not find them?" The mother shrieked and started kicking her feet haphazardly out of instinct. "Hell! Get them both."
"SOMEONE HELP ME!" the girl cried to no one. Her earsplitting voice rang in the agents' ears, but that hardly stopped them. The second man pulled them both away forcefully; neither of them would let go of each other.
"Damn it, what are they doing?" he sneered. The Breloom and the other Pokemon, an Ekans, rested silently by the first agent, having done their job. Though the girl and her mother continued to struggle, they were no match for either of them with the shadow Pokemon. They were eventually separated by the two men, crying and howling with disdain.

"Come on, just get them out of here..."

Mansion near Agate Village
Zone 2 Headquarters
Present

Caiden stared blankly at the universally colored Cipher pokeball in his belt. The one that contained the Blaziken. Lately, its presence seemed to make him uncomfortable; it irritated him, even. I can't just return it... he'd thought to himself dozens of times, in response to the anxiety he now felt. Not after everything I did with it... no. I have got to get over this.

Shaking his head slowly, Caiden looked up. His gaze settled on the new pokeballs, sealed in one small plastic case that lay on the desk in front of him. The pokeballs contained the newly captured Pokemon from Agate Village. Caiden could see, the day before, that these Pokemon were not used to fighting as much as Cipher's were. But this was no matter; they would soon be just as powerful as the rest of the organization. That was no problem. The process of making them fighting machines was the problem.

Uneasily, Caiden stood and saw a figure across the room. A full-body mirror hung silently on the wall, its edges adorned with beautifully crafted iron. The lines of metal swiveled and turned around each other, dancing along the sides of the mirror. Their sole purpose was to enhance the appearance of the mirror's reflection.
Caiden, however, saw no enhancement. Upon seeing himself, the thoughts, the feelings, the whispers, the ethereal voice of his past; it all came back to him.

This isn't just about you, Caiden... you're hurting everyone...

"AAAGH!" Caiden screamed, doubling over and slapping his gloved hands over his ears. "Stop... go away...!" Holding himself together for a while, Caiden cautiously stood up again, peering into the eyes in the mirror. They were dull and lifeless, and they made the face he saw seem coldhearted, uncaring, even cowardly. The sight was repulsive. Caiden looked away, closing his eyes and turning his back on the mirror. Once again, he found himself staring at the pokeball in his belt. It seemed to protrude more than the others...

"Commander?" A powerful voice, made meek, came from the room's entrance. The door was cracked open, and the face of Helen, the scientist from so many months ago, stared back at Caiden as he looked up.
"What is it?" he snapped.
"I... I heard a scream." Helen opened the door fully. "If you don't mind, may I come in?" When Caiden did not respond, the agent blinked and stepped inside. "Is something wrong?"
Caiden sat down slowly, his looming, intimidating face facing the ground. "Nothing... I... nothing."
Helen was silent as she scrutinized Caiden's dark face. "Commander Hester, I don't think --"
"I said nothing is wrong."
Caiden sharply lifted his head and pounded a fist on the desk. Helen shrunk back, but her eyes did not leave his face. There was silence for ten long seconds, and then:
"Excuse me, Commander... Hester." She folded her arms in anticipation and began to speak softly; though, her meek voice was no more. "Hester... what's wrong with you?"

What did you say?! Caiden wanted to roar. Dare you speak like that to me, your commander?! But nothing came out. He did not so much as glare or put on a scowl. The commander felt numb from the inside out.

"I knew it," Helen continued, shaking her head as she stared, "this has really gotten to you... hasn't it?"
Still, no response.
"Hest -- Caiden."
The sound of his first name made him look up. His eyes were bloodshot, his face scarlet with internal rage. At the sight of him, Helen widened her eyes. "You look terrible, Caiden. And... I think..." She paused, at a loss for words. "I'm not sure how to say this... but I think you should -- "
"You will not tell me what to do," Caiden barked. His chin quivered and his eyes seemed to burn a hole in Helen's. "You will not give lip to your upper."
"But don't you understand? That this isn't what this is all about?" Helen replied. The sound of her voice, omnipotent and all-knowing, reminded him of a figure that he couldn't exactly name. But whatever it was, it silenced Caiden and he listened. "This isn't about commander and subordinate, Caiden. That will never get the job done... I know that you know that. Do you realize that you're killing yourself?"

He realized that the figure he'd imagined in Helen's place was the Blaziken. Of all things... get the hell out of my life... Caiden closed his eyes, but that only made it all worse. She and that damned Shadow... they're just the same.When the climax of his anger was about to burst into reality, the voice echoed in his head once more. Caiden could almost see his mother in front of him, smiling with sympathy.
Caiden, you must change this. For you and for everyone.

"Caiden..."
"STOP SAYING MY NAME!" he bellowed, eyes flaring. The veins in Caiden's neck and head were clearly visible, blood pulsing through them like jets ripping through the sky. "Just... leave me be..."
Helen fearfully turned away and closed her eyes in despair. "I'm sorry you won't change... Commander." A faint clicking noise signaled her leave.

Though Helen was gone, the spirit that lived in her lingered in the room. She was the physical symbol of all the absurd, ludicrous thoughts that pummeled Caiden's locked mind; the emotions that let in guilt and fear into his being; the reverberating voices. It was all there in his mind, and the girl only made it worse. He had to be rid of her.

No, Caiden.
He blinked out of his infuriated daze. "What do you want of me... mo-other?"
Only on the brink of losing yourself will you make the right decision.
Trembling, Caiden stopped his mumbling and rested his head on his desk. The words of his mother's spirit voice replayed in his his head like a haunting song. Maybe... some sleep is all I need...
"Commander Hester," an urgent voice called. The door was suddenly open with a bang, and three agents stood in the doorway. "An intruder has been spotted in the premises." Caiden stood up from the desk and strode briskly toward the window. His lungs froze promptly at the sight.

The girl. The girl from yesterday, standing proudly by the old man's side, never willing to give up. She was right there in Caiden's sight, her somewhat murky figure slipping hastily through the trees. She clearly had no idea that Cipher would be so close.
"What should we do, Commander?"
"...I'll take care of this." Clutching the pokeballs at his belt, Caiden pushed the others aside as he left the room. His legs were wobbly and unstable at first, but he soon recollected himself.

The mansion door burst open, nearly breaking down from the force fueled by Caiden's fury. Today is too much, simply too much. He made his way back toward the trees, where he'd seen the girl. At first, the darkness of the forest shaded her, but Caiden could easily see the girl's chest heaving up and down as she hid behind one of the thicker trees. She quickly burst out, hoping that she would catch Caiden by surprise. Instead, she met Blaziken, towering above her.
But she did not try to run. Instead, she said coolly, "First of all, I'm not intimidated by this... this monster you have." The Blaziken hissed and stomped its foot, ready to fight.
Caiden narrowed his eyes. "Who are you?"
"That's what I would like to know." Her fierce glare was just the same as the day before. "I want to know who you are and what you've done with the Pokemon."
Caiden was silent, and instead his universal headpiece flared. "Commander, we've got backup for you if you need it."
"There's no need. She's just a girl and she's unarmed," he muttered back to his subordinates.
The girl clenched her teeth together. "If you don't tell me what you and your sick group of dogs plan to do, I'll come back with arms." She scowled, looking up at the Blaziken. "Is it yours? It hates you, you know. Just as much as I do."
"Look," Caiden growled, nostrils flaring, "What you don't know is that I don't care if it likes me or not. It's under my control. I can kill you using it, do you understand?" He tried to shove off what the girl had said, and though in all consciousness he knew he wouldn't kill her, Caiden was having some second thoughts. But the girl didn't so much as flinch. Her glazing emerald eyes simply glared back at him.

"You disgust me. All of you," she responded, her voice dripping with contempt and hate. "I came back for the Pokemon. And I will not leave until I get what I want."
Caiden rolled his eyes. He wasn't able to stand any more of this. "Flamethrower."
"Brraaoooaaaaooo!"
From a flaming beak came a sudden rush of air and fire, enveloping the tree behind the girl but not hitting her. She screamed and dropped to the ground, and Caiden began to walk away, leaving the Blaziken to deal with her.

But as he left, the girl's voice rang in his head. The sound was much like the elder's voice from yesterday, but entirely dissimilar.
"You! You're terrible! Do you even know what it means to have honor? Do you even have a justified soul?"
Caiden stopped in his tracks, paralyzed. Her voice was the corporal, real sound of the thoughts that wracked his brain day and night. Not this... not again...

"That's what I thought! You don't even know where you're going. Don't kid yourself, you don't have any power at all. You've wasted your life, and you know it." Her piercing voice stopped momentarily. "You know, I feel sorry for you... son of a dog."

I'm sorry you won't change...

Was it all, from the very beginning, just to prove them wrong?

That may very well have been the answer. Those thoughts and those voices had tortured him seemingly ever since he became of power in Cipher. And the images in his brain were no different. Like there was some being - a Pokemon god, possibly - whose greatest desire was for him to suffer; not just physically, but mentally. Maybe he just wanted to prove that he was strong enough to hold his own against it. Or maybe, it all came back to his family?

Whatever the reason, Caiden could not stop gazing at the now empty glass case on his desk. The door was locked, the shades closed, the mirror broken to pieces. If there was another mission, the commander wouldn't have known. For all he knew, Cipher was outside the room, banging on his door. His agents may have fled the building; that was possible as well. Lord Kishiro himself may eventually come to their headquarters, seeking the problem to fix. It would lead to Caiden, of course. But he found himself not caring, even for his position as executive, or as commander.

The Blaziken suddenly meant much more to him now. Caiden didn't fully understand the Pokemon, but he saw through its gaze, and he tried to comprehend what must have been going through its head. He had given in to the emotions that caused waves of guilt and misery and regret. He had given in to the screeching thoughts, that told him to think twice about his actions. And now, he truly saw the despair and the grief of all those he had harmed. Mostly, they were Pokemon, which made him more aware of the Blaziken, standing ominously and unnoticed in the background. It, too, had become more aware of Caiden, noticing his abrupt change of mind.

But there was, in fact, an inspiration to Caiden's epiphany. The girl, about his age, with piercing emerald eyes full of hatred. Because he'd felt a glimpse of wondering why she opposed him so, Caiden had finally fully realized what was happening to him. Though it eased some of the internal pain he felt, it barely left him with a sense of what to do. In himself, Caiden felt an immense tear. Neither option - loyalty to Cipher nor giving in to himself - was the right choice.

The decision continued to wrack his brain as the Blaziken led him through the forest in the dead of night, approaching Agate Village in the utmost of disturbed silence.

Last edited by Silvyre; 04-22-2009 at 04:01 AM.