Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:44 PM
c_oh_lio Offline

Default Suggestions for a tank?

I'm trying to find a final pokemon for my team. It needs to be defensively/ annoyingly minded, and stealth rock would be nice, but not necessary. Something not so frequently used, I'm tired of OUs aned Ubers.

I was thinking Steelix, Torkal, or Umbreo. Any movesets or any other suggestions?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:18 AM
FrozenVirus Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: Suggestions for a tank?

Rhyperior, with its solid 130 defense and unearthly 140 attack, makes an awesome tank on the physical side of the spectrum. Unfortunately, its typing makes it vulnerable to Close Combat and Earthquake, two of the most common physical attacks. It's also 4x weak to Waterfall, which obviously isn't a good thing. As a tank, you want to maximize its HP EVs, and invest a bit in SpD (80 EVs), and the rest can go into defense. Impish nature / Leftovers please. This set also allows Rhyperior to hit hard with its impressive 316 attack.

EQ, Stone Edge / Rock Slide, Megahorn / Avalanche, Stealth Rock
or something similar would work fine.

Tangrowth, with 100 HP, 125 defense and 100 attack, can make an effective physical tank as well.

Dusknoir, with 100 attack and 135 Def and SDef, rings a bell as well, and can be used on both sides of the spectrum.

Then, of course, there's Snorlax, who unforunately cannot switch into many physical attacks nowadays. However, with 160 HP, 110 Atk, and 110 SDef, it can withstand anything special and hit back hard. It can boost its attack and physical defenses with Curse though.

Then there's Gliscor, with 95 attack and 125 defense, and an impressive 95 speed. People commonly call him a wall, but he can hit back hard with STABed EQ.

A personal favourite of mine is Swampert. Its stats may not look too good (100 HP / 110 Atk / 90 Def / 85 SAtk / 90 SDef / 60 Spd), but it can take both physical and special threats with 90 defenses. Plus, it only has one weakness, albeit a 4x weakness to grass. And it's SR resistance. With 110 Atk and 85 SAtk, it can pose a major threat to your opponent as well; STABed Waterfalls and EQs hurt.

A special tank that comes into mind is Flinchhaxing Togekiss, with max HP and SDef with Calm nature. A force to be reckoned with.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
The Politoed Hunter Offline
Banned

Speaking of Rhyperior, here is a set I gave to someone else:

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
Solid Rock
244 HP/ 184 DEF/ 80 SP.DEF
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Megahorn/ Avalance
Stealth Rock/ Roar

Switch into physical fighters and strike back with a high attack. Earthquake and Stone Edge are your STAB. Megahorn can kill off Celebi, but if you sense a Grass Knot coming, get out of the way, fast. Avalance can hit Gliscor and bring down the dragons, such as Salamence or Dragonite.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Cucumber Offline

Send a message via AIM to Cucumber

FrozenVirus suggested a great tank, probably the best in the metagame.

Anyways there are plenty of other tanks, tanks are meant to be able to take hits and throw them back.

Key Examples: Metagross, CB Snorlax, Bronzong, Suicune, Zapdos, Ect.

Of course all of the pokes above can be bulky and still hurt a team greatly. Bronzong is probably one of the key examples of a tank.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Lakota2 Offline
Amateur Trainer

You should probably post your entire team so that users can post more definitive suggestions. If everyone just discusses what tanks they think are the best, but none fit into your team, then that doesn't really help you.
"I am of the opinion that as Pokémon Red and Blue were about to be released, Farfetch'd accidentally spilled some ink on the suit of one of the most important Game Freak staff members. Since then, they have hated Farfetch'd and did everything they could to make this thing suck as much as possible on the battlefield."
-Smogon University's opinion on Farfetch'd

Pe2K shoddy server: N/A
Smogon shoddy users: Lakota2, Africanus, Kamotts
Common Alts: Acai, Living Desert, Africanis
Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 PM
c_oh_lio Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabuza View Post
You should probably post your entire team so that users can post more definitive suggestions. If everyone just discusses what tanks they think are the best, but none fit into your team, then that doesn't really help you.
Good suggestion:
Garchomp@focus sash: dragon claw, EQ, crunch, fire fang
Milotic@leftovers: surf, mirror coat, recover, ice beam
Ambipon@life orb: fake out, double hit, areal ace, brick break
Breloom@ toxic orb: substitute, focus punch, seed bomb, spore
Alakazam@ choice scarf: psychic, energy ball, focus blast, shadow ball

Any other suggestions to my team would be nice. I'm trying to stray the OU path, but its tough. I'm mainly looking for something with an entry hazard, but whatever you think fits
Old 04-02-2009, 12:13 AM
c_oh_lio Offline

Hmmmm I'm thinking, and maybe even a wall could be a good option. Anything good there?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Moe2 Offline

well your first problem is that you will be disqualified as soon as Garchomp enters the battle....
Old 04-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Lakota2 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe2 View Post
well your first problem is that you will be disqualified as soon as Garchomp enters the battle....
Yes. Unless you're planning on using this team on the Shoddy "official" server, you cannot use Garchomp in ou.
"I am of the opinion that as Pokémon Red and Blue were about to be released, Farfetch'd accidentally spilled some ink on the suit of one of the most important Game Freak staff members. Since then, they have hated Farfetch'd and did everything they could to make this thing suck as much as possible on the battlefield."
-Smogon University's opinion on Farfetch'd

Pe2K shoddy server: N/A
Smogon shoddy users: Lakota2, Africanus, Kamotts
Common Alts: Acai, Living Desert, Africanis
Old 04-02-2009, 01:12 AM
c_oh_lio Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe2 View Post
Which is why I think I'm gonna switch him to Scizor