Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 AM
Bizzaro Offline
Amateur Trainer

Default Good sweepers

Seems as though I don't know much about how good a pokemon will be.

I use a site called serebii.net to track a pokemons max stats, and most pokemon well... seem to suck : /

However, I may be ignorant in he ways of pokemoning.

In any case, at lvl 100, hmmm lets say LVL 100 raichu. What stats should they have in order for me to know if they are good? Normaly I farm ones with attack in the 400s like alakazam but some pokemon with lower attack seem to be popular too.

Please tell me what the minimum a good sweeper should have (statwise)

Fido the level 1 Arcanine!
Bizzaro's PokePet

Banzai the level 0 Scyther!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:50 AM
FrozenVirus Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: Good sweepers

In my opinion, the most important asset for a good sweeper is speed. Attack / Special Attack, though important, is not essential to a sweeper's success. If you ask me, I prefer speed over power. Obviously, the sweeper should have a decent attack stat to be actually doing considerable amounts of damage to the opposing team.

Take Starmie for an example. Its special attack is merely base 100. But why do people use it so much? Well, yes, one reason is that it's extremely versatile and has very good coverage. But people use it because it is FAST. With 115 base Speed, Starmie can outrun nearly anything, providing it has a Timid nature and a Choice Scarf. It is absolutely essential for sweepers to OUTRUN their opponents. As most sweepers have average or below average defenses, they must make the first move in order to ensure their success / survival.

If you really want stats, I believe that anything attack / special attack above 90 is acceptable for a sweeper. However, the sweeper must have at least decent speed (preferably over 100) AND/OR some method of increasing its speed stat (Agility, DD, Choice Scarf) in order to perform well.

Last edited by FrozenVirus; 03-31-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Lakota2 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenVirus View Post
In my opinion, the most important asset for a good sweeper is speed.
Tell that to Curselax.

Serebii is only good for breeding logistics like egg moves. Smogon.com will give you max stats and the most common/effective sets to date for all tiered pokes in the competitive environment.
"I am of the opinion that as Pokémon Red and Blue were about to be released, Farfetch'd accidentally spilled some ink on the suit of one of the most important Game Freak staff members. Since then, they have hated Farfetch'd and did everything they could to make this thing suck as much as possible on the battlefield."
-Smogon University's opinion on Farfetch'd

Pe2K shoddy server: N/A
Smogon shoddy users: Lakota2, Africanus, Kamotts
Common Alts: Acai, Living Desert, Africanis
Old 03-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Cucumber Offline

Send a message via AIM to Cucumber

The best assets of a sweeper are to take things down.

For example, Infernape.

The ever so popular mixape set is used so much because of the coverage it gets. It's main purpose is to take down walls. Here I will explain.

Infernape@Life orb
Hasty Nature
Ev's: 64 Attack/ 252 Special Attack/ 192 Speed
~Fire Blast
~Close Combat
~Hidden Power [Ice]
~Grass Knot

This things purpose is to have coverage and take things out.

Fire Blast- Get's rid of things like Skarmory, Metagross, Forretres, and is an extremely powerful stab move.

Close Combat-Get's rid of things like Blissey, Snorlax, Porygon-z, Porygon-2, and is once again a powerful stab move

Hidden Power [ice] - Infernape is REALLY fast so hidden power ice allows it to outrun things like Salamence, Flygon, and other Zapdos who all get hurt by it.

Grass Knot - Get's rid of one of it's biggest counters, Swampert, and hit's other bulky waters effectively.

A sweeper needs to be able to hit hard and take things down while doing it.
Infernape is a great example/.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:57 PM
The Politoed Hunter Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabuza View Post
Tell that to Curselax.

Serebii is only good for breeding logistics like egg moves. Smogon.com will give you max stats and the most common/effective sets to date for all tiered pokes in the competitive environment.
Curselax is not a Sweeper, it's a Tank, there is a difference.

Serebii also provides Max Stats and occasionally movesets, but to a lesser extent. Use whichever you prefer.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Cucumber Offline

Send a message via AIM to Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Politoed Hunter View Post

Serebii also provides Max Stats and occasionally movesets, but to a lesser extent. Use whichever you prefer.
TPH is correct, Curselaz is mainly used a special sponge and special wall, but it still hurts things in advance. A sweeper form of a Snorlax would be a choice band Snorlax but he is a bulky sweeper.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzaro View Post
Seems as though I don't know much about how good a pokemon will be.

I use a site called serebii.net to track a pokemons max stats, and most pokemon well... seem to suck : /

However, I may be ignorant in he ways of pokemoning.

In any case, at lvl 100, hmmm lets say LVL 100 raichu. What stats should they have in order for me to know if they are good? Normaly I farm ones with attack in the 400s like alakazam but some pokemon with lower attack seem to be popular too.

Please tell me what the minimum a good sweeper should have (statwise)
It all depends on what your team is centered around, or what its theme is, if you have one.
A sweeper should be able to do a job, sweeping, that other members of your team cannot. I mean a Blissey cant sweep, right? So you add something like a Lucario, or Infernape to beef up the offense a bit. You want a sweeper to have good coverage, like Infernape, or Starmie. Or, if you want them to stick around for a while, you want a Bulky sweeper, otherwise known as a tank, such as Tyranitar or Snorlax. Tyranitar is usually a better choice because he doesn't suffer from 2 move syndrome like Snorlax (you want Curse, and Rest on a Curselax set, so you can only have 2 attacking moves), and has a superior movepool.
Another thing that's good for a sweeper to have is a priority move. Some of the best priority sweepers out there are Scizor, Azumarill, and Lucario. Azumarill has the highest attack out of all of those pokemon with Huge Power, but Scizor has the nifty Technician ability, which raises the power of moves 60 base power or lower by 50%. So, he has the most 'powerful' priority move out of all of them, which is why he is the top OU pokemon right now.
Like Curselax, there are other set-up sweepers too, like Gyarados, who can cause major pain for a lot of team once it gets a Dragon Dance or two up, or Weavile or Heracross, that when get a Swords Dance in, nothing bar a faster attack or a wall is going to stop them.
So yeah, there are many types of sweepers out there, and different jobs they do. Rather than looking on serebii for stats, you should probably look on www.smogon.com . They have suggested EV spreads, movesets, and a tier system that ranks your pokemon. A good site for beginners.

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Lakota2 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Politoed Hunter View Post

Serebii hasn't completely updated it's competitive material for DP let alone plat. Some of their updates were last posted in 2004 or something. Stick to smogon for your competitive database.

Curselax is not used as a straight out sweeper in any format. However, given the way the competitive environment has developed, battles are easily lost late game if you don't have the proper guy to handle a bulky threat like Snorlax that can hit hard after a single curse. If you don't have the power to take curselax down, his speed is irrelevent. Curselax is one of the most daunting late sweeping threats in those kinds of situations, hands down. The term sweeper is relative imo. Offenisive teams need something that can sweep early and something that can com in and threaten late. Curselax fits in the latter category of sweeper (which is essentially an extension of his role as a tank, but meh...terminology).
"I am of the opinion that as Pokémon Red and Blue were about to be released, Farfetch'd accidentally spilled some ink on the suit of one of the most important Game Freak staff members. Since then, they have hated Farfetch'd and did everything they could to make this thing suck as much as possible on the battlefield."
-Smogon University's opinion on Farfetch'd

Pe2K shoddy server: N/A
Smogon shoddy users: Lakota2, Africanus, Kamotts
Common Alts: Acai, Living Desert, Africanis

Last edited by Lakota2; 04-01-2009 at 01:33 AM.