Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:12 PM
PsygirlGTA54 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Golduck???

Is golduck a good special sweeper. I am trying not to use OU pokemon.
It has a modest nature and 252 special attack ev's, 252 speed, and 6 special def.
It's not a alakazam but, Im the same person who uses a dunsparce in Competitive play.
GO DUNSPARCE!!!

<*Dramatic, yet somber voice* have you trained a dunsparce today? Every day dunsparce has been ridiculed as a bad and weak pokemon. But only you can bring dunsparce's joy back. EV train one... Dunsparce will thank you>
I claim Psyduck
Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Max-Attack Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: Golduck???

Is this for use on Shoddy or Wi Fi?

Sure, give him a shot. Surf and Ice Beam are always good moves, and you could use Hidden Power Electric/Grass on Shoddy or Psychic or Focus Blast on Wi Fi to handle opposing water-types. Choice Specs or Calm Mind would be good ideas as well, as long as they're not on the same set.

Or if you decide to go physical, he gets Aqua Jet in Platinum and he could be used as a Sub Puncher.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

He may not be OU, but even in UU his sweeping abilities are mediocre. The CM variant is your best chance at sweeping:

Golduck@Leftovers
Timid
Calm Mind
Surf
Psychic/Ice Beam/Hypnosis
Psychic/Ice Beam/Hypnosis

CM boosts, surf for STAB. The final two slots depend on what you want to do- Psychic covers the many poisons in UU, ice beam nails grass types, and hypnosis gives you more set-up time, although it's accuracy dropped to 60% in platinum. However this thing is completely redundant in OU, as there are other pokes that CM sweep so much better and using pokes for the sake of being different is just plain stupid.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Bizzaro Offline
Amateur Trainer

Golduck = sucks Never get one unless you want a full pokedex as his sp attack is below 300 at max with full EVs and IVs.

Instead, get gengar, salamence, OR alakazam/mewtwo. You can never go wrong with mewtwo.

Fido the level 1 Arcanine!
Bizzaro's PokePet

Banzai the level 0 Scyther!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Max-Attack Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzaro View Post
Golduck = sucks Never get one unless you want a full pokedex as his sp attack is below 300 at max with full EVs and IVs.

Instead, get gengar, salamence, OR alakazam/mewtwo. You can never go wrong with mewtwo.
It's hard to say if you were talking about competitive or in-game, because yes, Golduck is not great in competitive play, but you're not even allowed to use Mewtwo, so I don't know what you're suggesting him for.

Most pokemon can be used decently in-game with some exceptions, namely Ditto and some others. Golduck is a great pokemon in-game.

I'll give you a Choice Specs set:

Golduck @ Choice Specs
Modest nature
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power (Electric/Grass)
-Psychic/Focus Blast
The Hidden Power is assuming that you're using a battle simulator (Shoddy), otherwise just go with both of the last two move options. Focus Blast sucks with its accuracy, but it does have more power and possibly more type coverage than Psychic. It should probably depend on your team.

Otherwise, go with the Calm Mind set.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Bizzaro Offline
Amateur Trainer

Wait so hes asking for advice to beat the elite four? This is worse than I thought.

PS: In battle tower you are right, no mewtwo. Battle tower = sucks. WifiBattle is way better and there you can use mewtwo

Fido the level 1 Arcanine!
Bizzaro's PokePet

Banzai the level 0 Scyther!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline

Quote:
Wait so hes asking for advice to beat the elite four? This is worse than I thought.

PS: In battle tower you are right, no mewtwo. Battle tower = sucks. WifiBattle is way better and there you can use mewtwo
This is not in-game, nor is it battle tower, or regular wifi either. These forums are for the competetive metagame, and as such you should not post if you have no knowledge on (Which you do not, since if you did then you would know mewtwo is banned).
Old 03-27-2009, 04:44 PM
PsygirlGTA54 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:

I said I don't use OU or UBER pokemon!!!!!

ps I LUV your sig
I claim Psyduck

Last edited by PsygirlGTA54; 03-27-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Max-Attack Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsygirlGTA54 View Post
I said I don't use OU or UBER pokemon!!!!!
Just ignore him. What do you think of the suggestions that have been given, do you have any more questions? Do you need anything explained?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:10 PM
PsygirlGTA54 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:

Sorry for the double post, but I just saw this

First of all, *eh herm* I'm a she
Secondly, I am using my Golduck for in game and sometimes competitive play, and besides, we all know how to beat the game, so don't flame me for that. I just needed a moveset other than the all physical/special moveset that I have been using for golduck for 10+ years. I need to get a lot more complex with my movesets.

For Max-Attack:
I could really use the calm mind set, that sounds like my best bet for both in game and competitve. And I like using virtually unused pokemon, not to be different, but I like to mix things up once in a while and train pokemon that I would normally just leave in my box forever...
Other than that, Thanks for the help!!!!!
~Psygirl
I claim Psyduck

Last edited by PsygirlGTA54; 03-27-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Yoda55 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Yoda55

What Gofre said pretty much. Smogon kows what its doing!

^ ^
Click
Old 03-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsygirlGTA54 View Post
Sorry for the double post, but I just saw this

First of all, *eh herm* I'm a she
Secondly, I am using my Golduck for in game and sometimes competitive play, and besides, we all know how to beat the game, so don't flame me for that. I just needed a moveset other than the all physical/special moveset that I have been using for golduck for 10+ years. I need to get a lot more complex with my movesets.

For Max-Attack:
I could really use the calm mind set, that sounds like my best bet for both in game and competitve. And I like using virtually unused pokemon, not to be different, but I like to mix things up once in a while and train pokemon that I would normally just leave in my box forever...
Other than that, Thanks for the help!!!!!
~Psygirl
Complexity is overrated. In golduck's case, a simple CM or specs set will do perfectly fine in-game, as will any set for that matter. Save the complex set-ups for when you're an experiened wifi player and ready to attempt a baton pass chain.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:48 PM
PsygirlGTA54 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
Complexity is overrated. In golduck's case, a simple CM or specs set will do perfectly fine in-game, as will any set for that matter. Save the complex set-ups for when you're an experiened wifi player and ready to attempt a baton pass chain.
Thanks a bunch, I'm not that experienced on WiFi and I wanted some help to do better... Well everyone has to start somewhere...
I claim Psyduck