Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Dragon_Master Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Default N. Korea and their Nuclear Program: Should we take military action?

In S.S. class, I have to do a debate on the topic about this.
What is everyone's thoughts?

\-†††-/It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool,
then to open it, and remove all doubt.\-†††-/

Old 04-04-2009, 02:35 AM
Cherry Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Cherry
Default Re: N. Korea and their Nuclear Program: Should we take military action?

If we did take action and use military force, it would make our relationships with the Asian countries worsen. (North Korea and China in particular.)
But if we do start something, it should be taken in steps, creating less fear.
In my opinion, it depends on how serious the issue is. The problem sounds very serious, (as they might hit the west coast with a missile) so yes; we need to take military force.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:38 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I'm personally giving North Korea the benefit of the doubt on just about anything. I mean, it's not like with Iran, where they outright threatened to destroy a country and then broke out the uranium for "nuclear energy". For the lauch, anyway, I think it's just a communications sattelite. I mean, I'm pretty pessimistic about the nature of humanity, but what reason do we have to believe they're about to blow crap up. We can believe that Iran wants to blow crap up because they've basically outright said "we want to blow Israel up", but there's really no evidence that North Korea's going to attack anybody.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:17 AM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

No.

North Korea does not have nuclear weapons that can reach US soil, and have not yet used them on anyone.

If we were to attack them for just having them, we'd be even larger hippocrates than we already are as a nation. News flash, we have them too. As do many other countries, whether they've announced it publicly or not.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:39 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khajmer View Post
I'm personally giving North Korea the benefit of the doubt on just about anything. I mean, it's not like with Iran, where they outright threatened to destroy a country and then broke out the uranium for "nuclear energy". For the lauch, anyway, I think it's just a communications sattelite. I mean, I'm pretty pessimistic about the nature of humanity, but what reason do we have to believe they're about to blow crap up. We can believe that Iran wants to blow crap up because they've basically outright said "we want to blow Israel up", but there's really no evidence that North Korea's going to attack anybody.
True. North Korea doesn't look like it would attack anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller View Post
No.

North Korea does not have nuclear weapons that can reach US soil, and have not yet used them on anyone.

If we were to attack them for just having them, we'd be even larger hippocrates than we already are as a nation. News flash, we have them too. As do many other countries, whether they've announced it publicly or not.
You never know. O_o

Then again, considering the resources it has, and considering those of the US... I doubt they'd take the risk. Then again, I forgot to consider China, its ally.

Let's wait and see. See if the North Koreans are really launching a communications satellite, testing out a long-range nuclear missile... or both. O_O
Old 04-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Lil Boy Offline

No. We are already in a war and we don't want to start another war with a different country. I bet that they do have nuclear weapons but the we (United States) do too.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Boy View Post
No. We are already in a war and we don't want to start another war with a different country. I bet that they do have nuclear weapons but the we (United States) do too.
Yep. First rule of the nuclear club, don't nuke other members of the nuclear club, unless you want to blow up the world.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post
You never know. O_o
No, I do know.

The nukes they tested were considerably weaker than the ones that we, Europe, for example possess. They do not have the ability to launch a nuclear weapon through air at the US.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 PM
skiboydoggy Offline

Send a message via AIM to skiboydoggy

Hippocrates was almost certainly not a hypocrite.

Anyway, no. There's really no point, especially since the UNSC has already decided against it and are instead quite happy with negotiations. Besides, do we really need Iraq Redux?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Steve Offline

Okay first, we don't know what it is. They say it is a communications satellite. We think it is a long range missile test with a nuclear warhead. Most European countries think it's a spy satellite. Some other countries think it might be an atmospheric test of a nuclear bomb. We just don't know yet.

I don't know what to think. However, I say to brace for the worst. Which is a missile holding a nuclear warhead. The targets will obviously be Japan, S.Korea, and/or the U.S. obviously. But we don't know what it is, so I try not to have an opinion on what to do or what it is and etc.

We will find out soon. The latest date for launch is the coming Wednesday.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Dragon_Master Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

But, from what I've heard is that they have several nuclear thing-a-ma-bobs already. They're just sitting there, waiting to be attached to a missile.
And, I've also heard that they've threatened to give these things to people who don't really need them, per se.
Is this true?

\-†††-/It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool,
then to open it, and remove all doubt.\-†††-/

Old 04-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller View Post
No, I do know.

The nukes they tested were considerably weaker than the ones that we, Europe, for example possess. They do not have the ability to launch a nuclear weapon through air at the US.
They could have improved it since then. Besides, they were most probably testing out their weakest stuff first. Then again... we really don't know.

... Never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboydoggy View Post
Hippocrates was almost certainly not a hypocrite.

Anyway, no. There's really no point, especially since the UNSC has already decided against it and are instead quite happy with negotiations. Besides, do we really need Iraq Redux?
Agreed. The world doesn't need another war, much less a nuclear war.

Obama really has changed the USA's foreign relations for the better... O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master View Post
But, from what I've heard is that they have several nuclear thing-a-ma-bobs already. They're just sitting there, waiting to be attached to a missile.
And, I've also heard that they've threatened to give these things to people who don't really need them, per se.
Is this true?
We don't know yet. And it's like almost impossible if not impossible to go and check. The North Koreans will kill you. Literally.