Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi
Default Re: The Metal Legion v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReclusiveDemon View Post
keeping long hair neat and clean
Maybe it's Maybelline

SO GUYS I UH HEARD DAN IS COMING TO BLOODSTOCK

Don't worry, when we film it we'll hold up a sign saying 'We love TML' whilst Mitch downs beer and I draw a tree-root on my face and Dan humps Mitch's leg so the rest of you don't feel left out or anything~

Old 12-10-2009, 05:52 PM
burningzepp08 Offline
Elite Trainer

So I was listening to the album Still Life by Opeth(a favorite)
And it made me realize how i miss the old guitarist...
WE WANT YOU BACK Peter Lindgren!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:03 PM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningzepp08 View Post
So I was listening to the album Still Life by Opeth(a favorite)
And it made me realize how i miss the old guitarist...
WE WANT YOU BACK Peter Lindgren!
Peter's solos on White Cluster are legendary, some of his finest in Opeth. He also solos very well on the Deliverance album. I miss him and Lopez both.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:05 PM
burningzepp08 Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maple Syrup Baptist View Post
Peter's solos on White Cluster are legendary, some of his finest moments in Opeth. He also solos very well on Deliverance. I miss him and Lopez both.
I wasn't an Opeth fan when Martin Lopez was the drummer(i really don't know why i wasn't) but yeah, he was a very awesome drummer, i love his drumming in Damnation(favorite album).
Old 12-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

Quote:
I wasn't an Opeth fan when Martin Lopez was the drummer(i really don't know why i wasn't) but yeah, he was a very awesome drummer, i love his drumming in Damnation(favorite album).
Yeah, he was so tasteful. He is a true drummer's drummer. He also did drums on Amon Amarth's Once Sent From The Golden Hall.

My favorite is Ghost Reveries, the last album with Lindgren and Lopez.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:13 PM
XaiakuX Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to XaiakuX Send a message via MSN to XaiakuX Send a message via Yahoo to XaiakuX Send a message via Skype™ to XaiakuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post

Maybe it's Maybelline

SO GUYS I UH HEARD DAN IS COMING TO BLOODSTOCK

Don't worry, when we film it we'll hold up a sign saying 'We love TML' whilst Mitch downs beer and I draw a tree-root on my face and Dan humps Mitch's leg so the rest of you don't feel left out or anything~
Just completely leave me out of that description. Sure.

.|.[Linkage].|.[-.Norse God of Chaos.-].|.Best in the World.|.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

I've only heard Deliverance, which is fantastic, parts of Orchid, and the majority of Watershed (didn't really enjoy it). I really gotta get some more early Opeth.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:19 PM
burningzepp08 Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Yeah, he was so tasteful. He is a true drummer's drummer. He also did drums on Amon Amarth's Once Sent From The Golden Hall.

My favorite is Ghost Reveries, the last album with Lindgren and Lopez.
Yes. He truly was. I do like the new drummer, he's good as well, but he's missing what Lopez has.

Ghost Reveries is really good too. My favorite Opeth albums are Damnation, Black Water Park(you just have to love it), Still Life, Orchid, and i really seemed to like Watershed, regardless of Opeth having that other guitarist.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:39 PM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

Damnation... I've been meaning to check out that one. I need some more stuff to chill to. Most of the slow stuff I have right now, while awesome, is either really tough listening or I've listened to 87439654 times.

I neeeeeed some more of the softer stuff. Listening to Gorgasm and stuff while doing homework just doesn't work. ffff
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedJackal View Post
Damnation... I've been meaning to check out that one. I need some more stuff to chill to. Most of the slow stuff I have right now, while awesome, is either really tough listening or I've listened to 87439654 times.

I neeeeeed some more of the softer stuff. Listening to Gorgasm and stuff while doing homework just doesn't work. ffff
I think you'll enjoy Damnation. It's a beautiful and melancholy album.

Andrew, I honestly think you'd love from Orchid up to Ghost Reveries. I can understand what you don't like in Watershed, but listen to Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater, and Hessian Peel on their own and I think you'll enjoy those three.

Of course if you want some mellower music you can also give Isis's Wavering Radiant another try. It's fantastic once it sinks in.

Quote:
Yes. He truly was. I do like the new drummer, he's good as well, but he's missing what Lopez has.

Ghost Reveries is really good too. My favorite Opeth albums are Damnation, Black Water Park(you just have to love it), Still Life, Orchid, and i really seemed to like Watershed, regardless of Opeth having that other guitarist.
I also enjoyed Watershed, I mean I reviewed it and gave it 10/10. From start to back it impressed, surprised, shocked, and moved me. Fredrik's solos on Watershed are excellent. He played with surprising discipline.

Blackwater Park is still amazing me to this day. The sheer violence of The Leper Affinity, the moving clean anthems of Bleak and The Drapery Falls, the almost painfully-beautiful Dirge For November, effortless trade-off soloing in The Funeral Portrait, and the monumental title track to close it, which pretty much has me in awe every time. And Harvest is a dark little medieval-ish tune. Patterns In The Ivy flows into the title track well, almost like a little venture through a dark, misty garden.

Damnit I could rant all day.

Last edited by The Maple Syrup Baptist; 12-10-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:10 PM
burningzepp08 Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
I also enjoyed Watershed, I mean I reviewed it and gave it 10/10. From start to back it impressed, surprised, shocked, and moved me. Fredrik's solos on Watershed are excellent. He played with surprising discipline.

Blackwater Park is still amazing me to this day. The sheer violence of The Leper Affinity, the moving clean anthems of Bleak and The Drapery Falls, the almost painfully-beautiful Dirge For November, effortless trade-off soloing in The Funeral Portrait, and the monumental title track to close it, which pretty much has me in awe every time. And Harvest is a dark little medieval-ish tune. Patterns In The Ivy flows into the title track well, almost like a little venture through a dark, misty garden.

Damnit I could rant all day.
Awesome.:)
When i first heard the song, Porcelain Heart, i was just blown away by Mikael's voice and his guitar playing. I really liked that song, then i listened to Burden, and i was even more blown by Mikael's voice, and of course, the amazing keyboard solo transiting into the guitar solo, it was just beautiful. And yeah, im guessing Mikael gave Fredrik some lessons on progressive/Opeth material, because i had never heard Fredrik solo in that style. I never really liked him in Arch Enemy because i think the brothers work better(Michael and Christopher Amott) but in Opeth, Fredrik is doing pretty damn good. He may not be like Peter Lindgren, BUT, he is good.

And i totally, 100% agree with what you say about Blackwater Park, it is just well..AMAZING. I love playing Dirge For November on guitar, it just warms my soul and gives me chills at the same time. It is just..a really unexplainable feeling that i get when that song is played or listened to. As for Bleak, in my humble opinion, its really one of those songs that scream, "THIS IS PROGRESSIVE!" The elements on that song we're just really unexpectable. Half the song is heavy with Mikael's harsh vocals doing its magic, then out of no where, it gets soft, clean vocals, and then the solo kicks in and its just WOW. And of course, you have Lopez's amazing drumming skill, precision and timing. And the amazing and technical bass playing by Martin Mendez. It took a long while to learn Bleak 100%. I love Bleak. :)

And The Leper Affinity, oh my god...It's an amazing song to start off the album. The drumming on that song is amazing. Everything on that song is amazing. It was more of a song you knew what was going to happen, BUT, Opeth knows how to deliver.

I wish i could type more, but my time is limited at the moment.

Last edited by burningzepp08; 12-10-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Awesome.:)
When i first heard the song, Porcelain Heart, i was just blown away by Mikael's voice and his guitar playing. I really liked that song, then i listened to Burden, and i was even more blown by Mikael's voice, and of course, the amazing keyboard solo transiting into the guitar solo, it was just beautiful. And yeah, im guessing Mikael gave Fredrik some lessons on progressive/Opeth material, because i had never heard Fredrik solo in that style. I never really liked him in Arch Enemy because i think the brothers work better(Michael and Christopher Amott) but in Opeth, Fredrik is doing pretty damn good. He may not be like Peter Lindgren, BUT, he is good.

And i totally, 100% agree with what you say about Blackwater Park, it is just well..AMAZING. I love playing Dirge For November on guitar, it just warms my soul and gives me chills at the same time. It is just..a really unexplainable feeling that i get when that song is played or listened to. As for Bleak, in my humble opinion, its really one of those songs that scream, "THIS IS PROGRESSIVE!" The elements on that song we're just really unexpectable. Half the song is heavy with Mikael's harsh vocals doing its magic, then out of no where, it gets soft, clean vocals, and then the solo kicks in and its just WOW. And of course, you have Lopez's amazing drumming skill, precision and timing. And the amazing and technical bass playing by Martin Mendez. It took a long while to learn Bleak 100%. I love Bleak. :)

And The Leper Affinity, oh my god...It's an amazing song to start off the album. The drumming on that song is amazing. Everything on that song is amazing. It was more of a song you knew what was going to happen, BUT, Opeth knows how to deliver.

I wish i could type more, but my time is limited at the moment.
Do you play guitar or bass, or both?

I'm still learning Bleak on guitar, as most tabs are crap. I can play The Drapery Falls, The Funeral Portrait, and Blackwater Park to 100% off that album (except I do the finger picked bridge in Blackwater Park a bit slower xD).

I also love the stories behind their concept albums, namely the full-fledged ones My Arms, Your Hearse and Still Life. Ghost Reveries is a concept album save for the closer Isolation Years, which doesn't lyrically go with the occult theme but instead has possibly the most beautiful lyrics I've ever read in music, just heartbreaking.

I hear that Morningrise is a love story of sorts, which makes sense in To Bid You Farewell, but not in The Night And The Silent Water which Mikael stated is about his grandfather's death.

Watershed is a concept in sorts, it's lyrically about his life in the past few years, and the more personal nature is why he excluded the lyrics from the liner notes and refuses to discuss them in detail when interviewed.

I am glad Peter left only because he was losing the motivation and passion. Anything he contributed would have been hollow. His past achievements and contributions will never be forgotten, and I'm glad Fredrik honors that by playing his solos note for note, the way Peter wrote them. I do very much miss Lopez though. Axenrot is one of my favorite drummers, his work in Bloodbath is above and beyond the typical Death Metal drum performance, and in Opeth he really shows that he has that side of feeling like Lopez. Axenrot is a little less Jazz and a little more Metal, but he gets the fills and tastefulness down so well it's hard to tell just by the record at times.

I do hope Mendez never leaves. He is completely irreplaceable. He is so much more than a bassist, he's a true musician, a true writer. His bass lines not only compliment Mikael's work, they make it BETTER, like the stellar bass work in the final section of The Baying Of The Hounds.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 PM
burningzepp08 Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Do you play guitar or bass, or both?

I'm still learning Bleak on guitar, as most tabs are crap. I can play The Drapery Falls, The Funeral Portrait, and Blackwater Park to 100% off that album (except I do the finger picked bridge in Blackwater Park a bit slower xD).

I also love the stories behind their concept albums, namely the full-fledged ones My Arms, Your Hearse and Still Life. Ghost Reveries is a concept album save for the closer Isolation Years, which doesn't lyrically go with the occult theme but instead has possibly the most beautiful lyrics I've ever read in music, just heartbreaking.

I hear that Morningrise is a love story of sorts, which makes sense in To Bid You Farewell, but not in The Night And The Silent Water which Mikael stated is about his grandfather's death.

Watershed is a concept in sorts, it's lyrically about his life in the past few years, and the more personal nature is why he excluded the lyrics from the liner notes and refuses to discuss them in detail when interviewed.

I am glad Peter left only because he was losing the motivation and passion. Anything he contributed would have been hollow. His past achievements and contributions will never be forgotten, and I'm glad Fredrik honors that by playing his solos note for note, the way Peter wrote them. I do very much miss Lopez though. Axenrot is one of my favorite drummers, his work in Bloodbath is above and beyond the typical Death Metal drum performance, and in Opeth he really shows that he has that side of feeling like Lopez. Axenrot is a little less Jazz and a little more Metal, but he gets the fills and tastefulness down so well it's hard to tell just by the record at times.

I do hope Mendez never leaves. He is completely irreplaceable. He is so much more than a bassist, he's a true musician, a true writer. His bass lines not only compliment Mikael's work, they make it BETTER, like the stellar bass work in the final section of The Baying Of The Hounds.
I play both Guitar and Bass, and also drums(i can play sort of fast on drums, but I'm more attracted to the Hard Rock style of drumming, like Randy Castillo(r.i.p.) )

Well, for tabs i mainly go to ultimate guitar and get them from there and use guitar pro 5. But for Bleak(and other songs), me and my friend(who is also very good at bass) made our own tabs by ear, we have asked many other experienced bass players and such if they are correct, and we have always gotten positive feedback.

I never really looked in dept into their songs. I should ask my friend Andy who got me into Opeth.

And yeah, in a way, yeah good thing Peter did leave because he is one of those that loves to be motivated and WANT to do it. So staying in Opeth, he knew he would've just done crap work, so he left. I'm surprised how he has a degree in Science. Seems he has things to jump into, not just music, which is awesome. I hope Martin Lopez is getting better. I also heard he was starting his own band or was in another band, not to detailed on that news.

I love Axe's drum fills on Porcelain Heart! The fills weren't so crazy, BUT it fit amazingly well. I'm sure the jazz will get into Axe, and he will be able to produce better drumming takes. What i thought was cool was that he did all the drum tracks for the Watershed album in just 7 days, but then when i heard the songs...I believe he should have spent ALOT more time on the songs because the precession and typing wasn't 100%..then again, you know, that's if your comparing him to Lopez, other than that, Opeth got themselves another good drummer.

Martin Mendez is one of those bass players that doesn't let the other elements the band offers in the song, you have the awesome remember able drum fills or solos, but then you also have Lopez going off on bass. I think my favorite bass lines by Mendez are either from "Bleak" or the song "In Mist She Was Standing". But of course, every song, Mendez does as amazing as the other members.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
I play both Guitar and Bass, and also drums(i can play sort of fast on drums, but I'm more attracted to the Hard Rock style of drumming, like Randy Castillo(r.i.p.) )

Well, for tabs i mainly go to ultimate guitar and get them from there and use guitar pro 5. But for Bleak(and other songs), me and my friend(who is also very good at bass) made our own tabs by ear, we have asked many other experienced bass players and such if they are correct, and we have always gotten positive feedback.

I never really looked in dept into their songs. I should ask my friend Andy who got me into Opeth.

And yeah, in a way, yeah good thing Peter did leave because he is one of those that loves to be motivated and WANT to do it. So staying in Opeth, he knew he would've just done crap work, so he left. I'm surprised how he has a degree in Science. Seems he has things to jump into, not just music, which is awesome. I hope Martin Lopez is getting better. I also heard he was starting his own band or was in another band, not to detailed on that news.

I love Axe's drum fills on Porcelain Heart! The fills weren't so crazy, BUT it fit amazingly well. I'm sure the jazz will get into Axe, and he will be able to produce better drumming takes. What i thought was cool was that he did all the drum tracks for the Watershed album in just 7 days, but then when i heard the songs...I believe he should have spent ALOT more time on the songs because the precession and typing wasn't 100%..then again, you know, that's if your comparing him to Lopez, other than that, Opeth got themselves another good drummer.

Martin Mendez is one of those bass players that doesn't let the other elements the band offers in the song, you have the awesome remember able drum fills or solos, but then you also have Lopez going off on bass. I think my favorite bass lines by Mendez are either from "Bleak" or the song "In Mist She Was Standing". But of course, every song, Mendez does as amazing as the other members.
Ultimate Guitar is usually good, but I've yet to see ANY tabs for Bleak get the first part of the "chorus" right, which is:

|-----------------------|
|-3-----7---------------|
|-4-----x-----9---7---6-|
|-4-----4-----x---x---5-|
|-2-----------7---5---4-|

You know the strumming pattern, of course, but that's how Mike plays it.

The whole Orchid and Morningrise albums had a different bassist and drummer than the Opeth you know today. For My Arms, Your Hearse, Lopez made his debut. Mendez WAS an official member for MAYH but there wasn't enough time for him to learn and record all the bass, so Mike did the bass for that album. I consider Mendez an original member because he joined at the beginning of Opeth's realization of the sound they wanted. This isn't to neglect Orchid and Morningrise as both are incredible albums to this day, and I still listen to them front to back.

And yeah, Axe recorded pretty quickly, but I guess being under the watchful and very critical eye of Mike, if Mike thought it was good enough and Axe felt good about it, then the rest is history. Maybe he wanted a livelier tone to the drums, especially coming off of Lopez who is one of the liveliest drummers in Metal. I know Axe has more than just Metal in him, shown in his great rock performance of Burden and the very suitable shuffling under the minor-chord progression of Hessian Peel. And the blast-beats in The Lotus Eater... I could never imagine it without them!

In Porcelain Heart, his drum solo that appears to cripple the song is just awesome. The whole time everything is in time, but that drum solo is just chaos, in the best way.

I'm also quite proud of Per. His work in Ghost Reveries and Watershed was invaluable. He knows when to lay low and add light texture like in Heir Apparent, and knows when to take a stand-out lead like in The Lotus Eater (that evil diminished section before Mike's epic solo).

Last edited by The Maple Syrup Baptist; 12-10-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 PM
burningzepp08 Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Ultimate Guitar is usually good, but I've yet to see ANY tabs for Bleak get the first part of the "chorus" right, which is:

|-3-----7---------------|
|-4-----x-----9---7---6-|
|-4-----4-----x---x---5-|
|-2-----------7---5---4-|

You know the strumming pattern, of course, but that's how Mike plays it.

The whole Orchid and Morningrise albums had a different bassist and drummer than the Opeth you know today. For My Arms, Your Hearse, Lopez made his debut. Mendez WAS an official member for MAYH but there wasn't enough time for him to learn and record all the bass, so Mike did the bass for that album. I consider Mendez an original member because he joined at the beginning of Opeth's realization of the sound they wanted. This isn't to neglect Orchid and Morningrise as both are incredible albums to this day, and I still listen to them front to back.

And yeah, Axe recorded pretty quickly, but I guess being under the watchful and very critical eye of Mike, if Mike thought it was good enough and Axe felt good about it, then the rest is history. Maybe he wanted a livelier tone to the drums, especially coming off of Lopez who is one of the liveliest drummers in Metal. I know Axe has more than just Metal in him, shown in his great rock performance of Burden and the very suitable shuffling under the minor-chord progression of Hessian Peel. And the blast-beats in The Lotus Eater... I could never imagine it without them!

In Porcelain Heart, his drum solo that appears to cripple the song is just awesome. The whole time everything is in time, but that drum solo is just chaos, in the best way.

I'm also quite proud of Per. His work in Ghost Reveries and Watershed was invaluable. He knows when to lay low and add light texture like in Heir Apparent, and knows when to take a stand-out lead like in The Lotus Eater (that evil diminished section before Mike's epic solo).
Yeah, i know what you mean.:)
Man i love how Mikael's riffs are just, well, technical, and sings so well.:)
I dont think i can ever stop complimenting his work. Have you heard Unhealer by Ihsahn? Mikael did outstanding vocals on that song, in the chorus its sort of a duet chorus like this:

Mikael: Your peace is not my peace
Ihsahn: Where you redeem
I summon guilt
Mikael: Your fear is not my fear
Ihsahn: I summon the fire
Mikael: Your hell is not my hell
Ihsahn: The life you shun
Is mine to live
Mikael: Your sins are not my sins
Ihsahn: In me you find no heir
Mikael: Your lies are not my lies
Ihsahn: Such grace
I do renounce
Mikael: Your god is not my god
Where he forgives
I will unheal

I'm telling you man(i know you already know) Whether its vocal work or guitar work, Mikael knows how to deliver.:)

Ooh, i didn't know. Haha, thanks for telling me.:) And yeah, i see Mendez as one of the original members, he's just given so much to the band. If Mendez was to ever leave, sure Mikael can handle his own band and most likely get the sound he's looking for, but i guarantee that Opeth wouldn't be the same without Mendez's creativity and amazing bass skills. I do agree with you, Orchid is very amazing, i like it alot. I'll need to re listen to Morningrise since i don't listen to it as much.

Hmmm..i guess you have a point, If Mikael wasn't satisfied with the drumming he would have told Axe to do it better or something. Mikael reminds me of Dave Mustaine..Amazing guitarists, their riffs are genius, they know what they want in a band, they know how to look for it, and THEY GET IT. Just overall musical geniuses. And also the fact that both Mikael Akerfeldt and Dave Mustaine don't just get any drummer, guitarist or bass player, NO, they make sure that they are worthy enough. But i guess that falls under what they want in a band.

Ah yes, Per, yeah he did very good. His performance in The Roundhouse Tapes was very good, dispite him being the keyboard player, as Mikael said, and i quote, "The most Metal keyboard player" :) And he also did solid in backup vocals.

Last edited by burningzepp08; 12-11-2009 at 12:06 AM.