Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:26 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default Re: Underage Drinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge of Nemo View Post
Actually, psychologists agree that making something illegal only adds to its allure.
You don't need a psychologist to look at that to know. Look back in the past. They made alcohol illegal. People drank it anyway! People made downloading music off the internet illegal, and people still do it anyway!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post
You don't need a psychologist to look at that to know. Look back in the past. They made alcohol illegal. People drank it anyway! People made downloading music off the internet illegal, and people still do it anyway!
The second point doesn't really work, since people actually started doing it so they don't have to pay for the music. :P

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 03-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
The second point doesn't really work, since people actually started doing it so they don't have to pay for the music. :P
Must you ruin my fun? >___>"

Anyways, my views about underage drinking - or drinking alcohol in any matter - are for the fact that it's a rather terrible thing. I think it should only be done for religious ceremonies, or anything related to that. Call me crazy. Call me insane. Tell me that it can be done for other things, too. It's just my opinion. Heck, when my parents even offer me a sip of any alcoholic drink, I immediately refuse. It is a stupid drink that makes stupid people do stupid things.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoblaze View Post
I think the age should be lowered. Honestly the whole you can serve your country, the body cant metabolize it, etc. IS a really overt used argument IMO. The responsible ones will know what they should and shouldnt do while the irresponsible ones will have to face the consequences of their acitons.

Personally Ive had a few myselfs, and Yes I am still a minor (19), I find that if you do it in the copany of those who care about you and or during special occasions then its fine, but if you decide to venture out and do as you please, just be aware of your actions may be followed by consequences.
Yeah.

All i've ever had were just a few sips here and there; the most I've ever had was 50-100 ml of some brand of beer that I forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Doesn't that just mean it's the difference in ADH levels?
What?

Quote:
Prohibition would like to have a word with you.
I meant keep it as it is. Yes, we know that people can sometimes sneak in alcoholic drinks for underaged people, but who wants their 4-year olds get drunk? (And die in the process...)

Quote:
Oh, and source for your brain cell claims?
Reader's Digest, August 2008 (my country's edition iirc).

*calls for Starki* Starki, verify it the nexxt time we meet up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysical View Post
The irresponsible can also harm others. Drunk driving and whatnot.
Also just because they are overused arguments doesn't mean they aren't good arguments. It probably means they are the strongest points for the other side.
But if it's scientifically proven otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge of Nemo View Post
Actually, psychologists agree that making something illegal only adds to its allure. Unfortunately, alcohol is dangerous enough to the developing body (getting drunk is by far the least harmful aspect of drinking before everything is in its proper place) that the lessened attraction of legalizing alcohol for younger Americans would have more negative than positive consequences.
Yes, but if it's legal, they'll only try to push it even lower. At this rate, we'll see 4-year-olds drink alcohol.

If it kills them... it won't be my fault.

Quote:
Then use cigarettes. :X

Quote:
Lol. EDIT: I meant ROFL.

Can't blame him though. He speaks pretty strong points that actually make sense.

Quote:
Anyways, my views about underage drinking - or drinking alcohol in any matter - are for the fact that it's a rather terrible thing. I think it should only be done for religious ceremonies, or anything related to that. Call me crazy. Call me insane. Tell me that it can be done for other things, too. It's just my opinion. Heck, when my parents even offer me a sip of any alcoholic drink, I immediately refuse. It is a stupid drink that makes stupid people do stupid things.
I'm not sure, but I think I read that drinking a little of some alcoholic drink (was it red wine?) actually prolongs your life.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post

I meant keep it as it is. Yes, we know that people can sometimes sneak in alcoholic drinks for underaged people, but who wants their 4-year olds get drunk? (And die in the process...)

Uh, what? Do some research on what he just referred to.

EDIT: nvm, Kenny's post reminded me you don't live in America

Yes, but if it's legal, they'll only try to push it even lower. At this rate, we'll see 4-year-olds drink alcohol.

If it kills them... it won't be my fault.

4 year-olds can drink alcohol now. The *law* doesn't stop dumb people from giving their children things they shouldn't have. Giving a toddler alcohol would still be punishable by law in America.

Then use cigarettes. :X

I'm not sure, but I think I read that drinking a little of some alcoholic drink (was it red wine?) actually prolongs your life.
Red wine is heart healthy, yes.

Hi

Last edited by Fire Away; 03-15-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:

I do that too. IT KILLS UR BRAIN CELLS111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
Red wine is heart healthy, yes.
Yeah, but in really small amounts. Like, a small cuppa a day IIRC, or even less.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 03-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
What?
Beyond your knowledge requirements.

Quote:
No, I literally meant, "look at examples in which prohibition was the law in the United States." History proved you wrong, is what I meant. >.>

Quote:
Reader's Digest, August 2008 (my country's edition iirc).

*calls for Starki* Starki, verify it the nexxt time we meet up.
It would be interesting to see what they've come up with, considering as far as I know that it's been known that regenerative properties within the brain has been limited to the olfactory sectors of the brain itself. That may simply mean that Reader's Digest misinterpreted the data.

Starki: about a glass of red wine, IIRC. The point is not to overload your ADHs, while having the same benefits from the antioxidants floating inside the wine to be consumed.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Starki: about a glass of red wine, IIRC. The point is not to overload your ADHs, while having the same benefits from the antioxidants floating inside the wine to be consumed.
I think it's possible to get those anti-oxidants from somethine else, like the grapes that the red wine is made from in the first place, which pretty much eliminates the need to drink it in the first place. :P

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 03-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
I think it's possible to get those anti-oxidants from somethine else, like the grapes that the red wine is made from in the first place, which pretty much eliminates the need to drink it in the first place. :P
That's not exactly a reason to not have it as an option. Besides, I don't think eating grapes alongside eating your meal is exactly the same as drinking wine and eating your meal.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
EDIT: nvm, Kenny's post reminded me you don't live in America
And I thought my location already told you that...

If I change it, I don't think anyone will notice...

Quote:
4 year-olds can drink alcohol now. The *law* doesn't stop dumb people from giving their children things they shouldn't have. Giving a toddler alcohol would still be punishable by law in America.
Oh well, there's always some senseless people. No doubt exposed to too much alcohol and picked it up.Then they get addicted to it, and their kids get exposed, and the cycle goes on...

Quote:
I know what ADH is. I just didn't get what point you were trying to put.

Quote:
No, I literally meant, "look at examples in which prohibition was the law in the United States." History proved you wrong, is what I meant. >.>
Help me compare the situation to now, then. Pl0x?

Quote:
It would be interesting to see what they've come up with, considering as far as I know that it's been known that regenerative properties within the brain has been limited to the olfactory sectors of the brain itself. That may simply mean that Reader's Digest misinterpreted the data.
Then again, the brain is the least known organ of the body. We never know...

Quote:
Good point. Besides, grapes are cheaper...

Quote:
That's not exactly a reason to not have it as an option. Besides, I don't think eating grapes alongside eating your meal is exactly the same as drinking wine and eating your meal.
Explains the price difference. Now that's a hard choice...

Last edited by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng; 04-03-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Leoblaze Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Leoblaze

Quote:

If I recall correctly from my Anatomy and Physiology class it is said that neuron are amitotic, meaning no cellukar division, i.e. no regeneration unlike the other cells of the body.(idk if that changed at all, so can disprove me).

As for the anitoxidants, blueberries imo, or that wine thats made with a slew of different fruits that are very health and antioxidant filled.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
If I recall correctly from my Anatomy and Physiology class it is said that neuron are amitotic, meaning no cellukar division, i.e. no regeneration unlike the other cells of the body.(idk if that changed at all, so can disprove me).

As for the anitoxidants, blueberries imo, or that wine thats made with a slew of different fruits that are very health and antioxidant filled.
Very much of the brain is still unknown. I do know that at least part(s) of the brain can regenerate brain cells in as little time as one month's worth.

And as for antioxidants, people argue that you can get just as much of it if you simply eat the fruit. Is there any chemical reaction caused by fermentation that changes the amount of antioxidants for every fruit used?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Leoblaze Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Leoblaze

Quote:
Very much of the brain is still unknown. I do know that at least part(s) of the brain can regenerate brain cells in as little time as one month's worth.

And as for antioxidants, people argue that you can get just as much of it if you simply eat the fruit. Is there any chemical reaction caused by fermentation that changes the amount of antioxidants for every fruit used?
Not trying to be sarcastic or facesious, but could you possibly link where you got that info from (if possible) Id like to see that myself. I was taught that brain cells dont regenerate, so either Im misinformed, or very gullible (or both)
Old 03-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Gold Rush Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Gold Rush

Well you can drink, while being supervised by a parent at 5 XD

Anyway I have tried some alchahols and they really arn't that nice, and yeah, you have to drink responsibly there are lots of people over 21 that don't and there are probably quite a few under 21 year olds who will drink responsibly :o

Cider FTW

-Adam

[URPG] [VPP] [Knights of the Round Table] [ASB]

“For ten years I chased Suicune, and I finally got to see it. I'm all choked up!”
Old 03-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Not trying to be sarcastic or facesious, but could you possibly link where you got that info from (if possible) Id like to see that myself. I was taught that brain cells dont regenerate, so either Im misinformed, or very gullible (or both)
I got it from a magazine, like I said earlier. So I have no link. :X

Ask Kenny. :X

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Adam- View Post
Well you can drink, while being supervised by a parent at 5 XD

Anyway I have tried some alchahols and they really arn't that nice, and yeah, you have to drink responsibly there are lots of people over 21 that don't and there are probably quite a few under 21 year olds who will drink responsibly :o

Cider FTW

-Adam
Drinking too much can kill you. (Then again, too much of everything kills...) Some people just don't know where to stop. And we don't need kids being exposed to alcohol at a young age and growing up to become addicted to it. Kids and teenagers are more easily influenced than adults iirc.