Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Psychedelic Shroomish Offline

Send a message via AIM to Psychedelic Shroomish
Default [OU] Bulky Offense Team

This is my third attempt at an offensive team since the unbanning of Latias, and I must say it is definitely my most successful one. So far I have been having great results, winning a large majority of my matches on the ladder. My team has many resistances and immunities which go well with each other, and I feel that they do a fairly decent job at countering a majority of the metagames current threats. The main synergy of my team is to setup rocks, then rely off of my teams many resistances to wear down the opponents team and any problematic monsters until one of my many sweepers can get a clean sweep on the opponents team. Now, here's the team~

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpA
Nature: Relaxed
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Beam
~ Stealth Rock
~ Protect

Quote:
Swampert makes an amazing lead in the current metagame, taking out many common leads such as Metagross, Jirachi, Heatran, Aerodactyl, Hippowdon, Infernape, etc. It is extremely bulky, so setting up Stealth Rocks is easy. My team is also greatly benefited by Stealth Rocks since many of my Pokémon need it to score some vital OHKOs/2HKOs. Earthquake gets STAB and hits many common leads for super-effective damage. Ice Beam hits dragons and grass types hard and scores a 2HKO on Hippowdon and Aerodactyl. Protect is nice to scout for Explosions from Metagross and Heatran. The only thing that I've commonly encountered that really messes up Swampert is Scarf Jirachi with Trick, but that can be handled by switching to Heatran.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive
~ Dragon Dance
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast

Quote:
DD Mence... I'm sure you all know and have experienced just how dangerous this thing is after one Dragon Dance. I originally was using the "New MixMence" set here but I was tired of Latias switching in and threatening to outrun and KO me. Salamence also works very well to help destroy walls and allow the other members of my team to sweep later on. Fire Blast can OHKO Scizor and Skarmory and hit other steel types like Bronzong hard, and Earthquake does a lot of damage to non-levitating steels such as Bronzong and Metagross who might try to wall my Outrage.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Substitute
~ Toxic

Quote:
Heatran provides many great resistances for my team and helps to keep the ever common and threatening Scizor in check along with making a great counter to Rotom-h who can be quite the pest. This is also one of my favorite sets because it lures out things like Tyranitar, Salamence, Blissey, and bulky waters, then it can hit them with Toxic to cripple them and really hinder any chance of them sweeping. Poisoning bulky waters is really helpful because there is really nothing on my team that can truely counter them. Substitute is great for scouting the opponents move and can sometimes be useful to stall with Toxic. Fire Blast and Earth Power get great coverage together, although I've been considering switching to Flamethrower because Fire Blast has been missing about 50% of the time for me. -__-

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest
~ Surf
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Trick

Quote:
I originally was using a Rotom-w as my revenge killer in this position, however I realized Starmie works much better for my team as it allows me to outrun max speed Salamence and Gyarados after a Dragon Dance and KO them with Thunderbolt or Ice Beam respectively. Surf allows me to 2HKO most Tyranitar after taking Stealth Rock damage, and Trick is nice for crippling any walls like Blissey. Modest > Timid because with max SpA and Spd and a Modest Nature, I still outrun max speed Salamence by 1 point and the extra power is needed to KO Tyranitar.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 176 SpD / 4 Spe
Nature: Adamant
~ Swords Dance
~ Bullet Punch
~ Brick Break
~ Roost

Quote:
Standard SD Scizor, except extremely bulky and with Leftovers/Roost. The added bulk allows me to setup on bulky water/ground types who would normally wall the LO SD Scizor set. With this set, it turns them into mere setup fodder, usually allowing me to get +4 to +6 attack easily. After setting up, it is very easy to sweep more than half the opponents team with Scizor alone. Brick Break is also helpful to stop DualScreen setup which seems to be really common lately. I originally had CB Scizor here but I was tired of bulky waters raping my team and me not being able to do anything about it. So yeah, this set helps a lot. And thanks to Legacy Raider for the EV spread.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
~ Draco Meteor
~ Surf
~ Thunderbolt
~ Recover

Quote:
LO Latias is quite the beast once Blissey is removed. Draco Meteor deals massive damage to anything that does not resist it (and it still takes a nice chunk out of steel types HP). Surf gets great coverage and can help me counter Infernape and Heatran, along with allowing me to 2HKO Tyranitar switching in after SR. This is nice because many people use Tyranitar as their Latias counter, so getting that out of the way can make sweeping a lot easier. Finally, Thunderbolt hits water types hard and lets me OHKO Gyarados and 2HKO Scizor w/ a chance of par. ^_^ Recover is great on Latias since it's so damned bulky, and it can help to cancel out LO recoil and residual damage from sand/SR which seem to be omnipresent in todays metagame.
Thanks for reading! Any rates/comments/suggestions are appreciated.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Soda Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Soda Send a message via MSN to Soda Send a message via Yahoo to Soda
Default Re: [OU] Bulky Offense Team

You poor baby! No one ever comments on your spectacular teams but always try and help the helpless nubs!

I know my opinion isn't worth much in Wi-Fi/Shoddy. Since I have never played a game of them in my life, but I will give it a shot.

Okay I have nothing. All I can say is great team! Scizor with U-Turn over Brick Break might be good, but as you said Light Screen and Reflect are apparently present in the current metagame. Also that would entirely ruin the prospect of setting up Sword Dances. xD

I hope no one deletes my post again like last time I commented on something in this section.

:0

Last edited by Soda; 03-11-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Lakota2 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Well, I mean, nothing personal, but everyone has this team (or some slightly altered variation). It works fine. These pokemon are uber-centralized for a resaon. That's why no one has written much.

Has anyone ever done damage calcs for dragon pulse? It doesn't pack the punch that meteor does, but I've always been interested to see them.
"I am of the opinion that as Pokémon Red and Blue were about to be released, Farfetch'd accidentally spilled some ink on the suit of one of the most important Game Freak staff members. Since then, they have hated Farfetch'd and did everything they could to make this thing suck as much as possible on the battlefield."
-Smogon University's opinion on Farfetch'd

Pe2K shoddy server: N/A
Smogon shoddy users: Lakota2, Africanus, Kamotts
Common Alts: Acai, Living Desert, Africanis

Last edited by Lakota2; 03-14-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig

Keep Fire Blast on Heatran. I know the misses suck, but it's worth it. Fire Blast provides vital 2HKO's that Flamethrower doesn't. (I belive it 2HKO's sweeper Starmie, as where Flamethrower doesn't, and OHKO's Celebi (the standard 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Speed one), where Flamethrower doesn't. I haven't ran the damage calcs in a while, so this is just a guess.
You may also want to ditch Roost for X-Scizor (;p) on Scizor, because Slowbro walls that set to hell, and with Leftovers recovery, you don't always need to Roost. At least in my experience. I know Slowbro is UU, but I personally use it to counter Scizor, because it learns Fire Blast, which rules. (a SD SuperPower is barely a 3HKO with leftovers on a max defense variant. :X)
Other than those little nitpicks, not much else to say. Pretty standard team here.

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Cucumber Offline

Send a message via AIM to Cucumber

I see that Zak boi is making a comeback eh?
;]