Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Default Re: Arcanine

No one can say for sure whether Arcanine was meant to be a legendary. The source linked is mere speculation, not any form of official proof.

Hi

Old 02-22-2009, 06:11 PM
coolmewkim22 Offline

Just because a Pokemon is called "The Legendary Pokemon" doesn't mean it was suppose to be a legendary Pokemon.
That's like saying Gengars are shadow Pokemon because it's "The Shadow Pokemon".
Old 02-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Leki Fenrir Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Leki Fenrir

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmewkim22 View Post
Just because a Pokemon is called "The Legendary Pokemon" doesn't mean it was suppose to be a legendary Pokemon.
That's like saying Gengars are shadow Pokemon because it's "The Shadow Pokemon".

:/
It's called "The Shadow Pokemon" because it's said to have the ability to sink into other people/Pokemon's shadow.
In fact, Agatha's Gengar in the manga hopped from shadow to shadow when Green and Koga were battling it.

[ - ] Lanturn@3412 glubglub~Zap ~ Lynx

"Oops..." | x1247 2395 4877 | "...My finger slipped..."
Old 02-22-2009, 11:23 PM
coolmewkim22 Offline

Yeah, and it's called the legendary Pokemon because it's based on a legendary creature.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Gravity Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Salamence View Post
Actually, there is a story behind it's legendary status.

Okay, back in the days of R/B it was decided that there would be four legendary Pokemon, Articuno, Zapdos, Arcanine and Ho-oh. he reason for that is because thunder and snow comes from the air, hence birds of the Ice/Electric type and fire comes from the ground, so they made a land legendary.

After that they soon, decided to swap Arcanine with a bird at the last minute, because they thought it would be better if all three were the same species. They designed Moltres, which actually does seem a lot less like a 'legendary' than the other two. Of course, they couldn't let a perfectly good Pokemon go to waste so they created Growlithe and tried to make Arcanine seem like a common Pokemon. Ho-oh was left out of R/B for some unknown reason.

In fact, that has happened in any occasions. An evolution of a Pokemon has been created before the per-evolution. For example, Rhyhorn was based off Rhydon.

Anyway, they obviously decided against Arcanine as a legendary after the second episode, because if you can see, in the ruins on the Pokemon Center wall there is a picture of Articuno, Zapdos, Arcanine and Ho-oh. Moltres is absent.

-Elana-
Actually, while the information was great, you were wrong on some accounts. The trio for the first generation was to be Articuno, Zapdos, and Arcanine. However, the creators decided to stick with the bird theme, and came up with Moltres, thus eliminated the legendary status of Arcanine, although he retained the name of the Legendary Pokemon. Ho-Oh, on the other hand, was never meant to be in the first, and was shown merely for some other reason, such as to show that there was more Pokemon in store, or to get an appeal of Ho-Oh

Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Operative Offline

Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Salamence View Post
Actually, there is a story behind it's legendary status.

Okay, back in the days of R/B it was decided that there would be four legendary Pokemon, Articuno, Zapdos, Arcanine and Ho-oh. he reason for that is because thunder and snow comes from the air, hence birds of the Ice/Electric type and fire comes from the ground, so they made a land legendary.

After that they soon, decided to swap Arcanine with a bird at the last minute, because they thought it would be better if all three were the same species. They designed Moltres, which actually does seem a lot less like a 'legendary' than the other two. Of course, they couldn't let a perfectly good Pokemon go to waste so they created Growlithe and tried to make Arcanine seem like a common Pokemon. Ho-oh was left out of R/B for some unknown reason.

In fact, that has happened in any occasions. An evolution of a Pokemon has been created before the per-evolution. For example, Rhyhorn was based off Rhydon.

Anyway, they obviously decided against Arcanine as a legendary after the second episode, because if you can see, in the ruins on the Pokemon Center wall there is a picture of Articuno, Zapdos, Arcanine and Ho-oh. Moltres is absent.

-Elana-

I need to check that episode.

I was younger then, and didn't care about details like this...

|thedynamicduo|
Old 02-23-2009, 12:03 AM
coolmewkim22 Offline

I want evidence that they tried to do that.

Last edited by coolmewkim22; 02-23-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Operative Offline

Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative

Quote:
I want evidence that they tried to do that.
I want details supporting your opinions.

|thedynamicduo|
Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

I'm not sure about evidence, it's really just theorised. But it does make a lot of sense. If you watch the original Pokemon theme, you'll notice that Moltres isn't present when Zapdos and Articuno fly across the sky.

This is the screencap from Pokemon Emergency.
I think the first panel resembles Moltres rather than Ho-Oh. Though it's also been theorised that Arcanine was to be the "trio master" (the leader of the birds), rather than Lugia. This theory would match the panel.

However, I don't think you'll find solid evidence anywhere.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 AM
coolmewkim22 Offline

That was in the English version, in the Japanese version Moltres comes right after Articuno.

Also, they might have put Arcanine there because they needed a pokemon to go there but Mew was a secret and Mewtwo probably wouldn't be on a ancient tablet.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Spiritomb- View Post
Actually, while the information was great, you were wrong on some accounts. The trio for the first generation was to be Articuno, Zapdos, and Arcanine. However, the creators decided to stick with the bird theme, and came up with Moltres, thus eliminated the legendary status of Arcanine, although he retained the name of the Legendary Pokemon. Ho-Oh, on the other hand, was never meant to be in the first, and was shown merely for some other reason, such as to show that there was more Pokemon in store, or to get an appeal of Ho-Oh
No conclusive proof of this.

Hi

Old 02-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig

Quote:
Well, that was mean and uncalled.
I'm sorry, that was uncalled for, I shouldn't have said that.
But I just noticed something that has always been obvious but I'm so naive that I never noticed it before: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres. 1,2,3! It really doesn't have much to do with the Arcanine thing, but I just felt like saying it. :p

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Dark Salamence Offline

Send a message via AIM to Dark Salamence Send a message via MSN to Dark Salamence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Turtwig View Post
I'm sorry, that was uncalled for, I shouldn't have said that.
But I just noticed something that has always been obvious but I'm so naive that I never noticed it before: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres. 1,2,3! It really doesn't have much to do with the Arcanine thing, but I just felt like saying it. :p
Hey, yeah. I never noticed that. :3

@ Sarah: Yeah, as Kim said, Moltres appears right after Articuno in the japanese version.

-Elana-

TwitterTumblrDeviantart
Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Gravity Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
No conclusive proof of this.
But all of what Dark Salamence said is automatically true with no proof of that either?

Oh, and Operative, another epic win.

Coolmewkim22... Wtf? Seriously, what's up with being so stubborn about this stuff? Just because somebody online says something you've never heard before doesn't suddenly make everything that comes out of their mouth a lie.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Spiritomb- View Post
But all of what Dark Salamence said is automatically true with no proof of that either?
Hey, good job putting words in my mouth.

You said "you were wrong on some accounts" as if what you said was somehow entirely proven.

Hi