Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Yoda55 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Yoda55
Post Arcanine

I think it's a bit odd that its UU. I mean in some pokedexs it says it's a legendary pokemon. When only Kanto was around it was one of the strongest pokemon. Does anyone else think its a bit odd?

^ ^
Click
Old 02-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Dark Lightning Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lightning
Default Re: Arcanine

Nope.
TBH, they're not that good. They named it the Legendary Pokemon because they couldn't be bothered to call it a 'fire dog' Pokemon. :/
Old 02-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Ajarr Offline
Banned

It doesn't really matter, I mean we all know it's not legendary. They probably should have called it a 'Fire Hound' Pokemon or something.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:44 PM
The Politoed Hunter Offline
Banned

Uxie, Mesprit, Articuno, Moltres, Entei and more are UU and legendary, so why not Arcanine, not that it's legendary anyway though...

Besides, they are testing all the UUs anyway.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Master Aqua Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda55 View Post
I think it's a bit odd that its UU. I mean in some pokedexs it says it's a legendary pokemon. When only Kanto was around it was one of the strongest pokemon. Does anyone else think its a bit odd?
Actually back in the old days of red blue and yellow he was well rubbish, they were many a beter opption than arcanine withs it's awful move pool. Now he's in his prime and can mix attack, attack physically, play a defensive role not your typical fire type agenda but with intimdate he can pull it off, attack special attaccking wise, items like choice speces, choice band and life orb have helped him, fire blitz and other now physical moves have helped him a lot.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Max-Attack Offline
Experienced Trainer

He used to be BL, but they screwed all of the BLs down. Even Slaking is UU now. He'll probably be brought up to a better tier soon though.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Dark Salamence Offline

Send a message via AIM to Dark Salamence Send a message via MSN to Dark Salamence

Actually, there is a story behind it's legendary status.

Okay, back in the days of R/B it was decided that there would be four legendary Pokemon, Articuno, Zapdos, Arcanine and Ho-oh. he reason for that is because thunder and snow comes from the air, hence birds of the Ice/Electric type and fire comes from the ground, so they made a land legendary.

After that they soon, decided to swap Arcanine with a bird at the last minute, because they thought it would be better if all three were the same species. They designed Moltres, which actually does seem a lot less like a 'legendary' than the other two. Of course, they couldn't let a perfectly good Pokemon go to waste so they created Growlithe and tried to make Arcanine seem like a common Pokemon. Ho-oh was left out of R/B for some unknown reason.

In fact, that has happened in any occasions. An evolution of a Pokemon has been created before the per-evolution. For example, Rhyhorn was based off Rhydon.

Anyway, they obviously decided against Arcanine as a legendary after the second episode, because if you can see, in the ruins on the Pokemon Center wall there is a picture of Articuno, Zapdos, Arcanine and Ho-oh. Moltres is absent.

-Elana-

TwitterTumblrDeviantart
Old 02-21-2009, 11:23 PM
ShinyKyogre Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Salamence View Post
Actually, there is a story behind it's legendary status.

Okay, back in the days of R/B it was decided that there would be four legendary Pokemon, Articuno, Zapdos, Arcanine and Ho-oh. he reason for that is because thunder and snow comes from the air, hence birds of the Ice/Electric type and fire comes from the ground, so they made a land legendary.

After that they soon, decided to swap Arcanine with a bird at the last minute, because they thought it would be better if all three were the same species. They designed Moltres, which actually does seem a lot less like a 'legendary' than the other two. Of course, they couldn't let a perfectly good Pokemon go to waste so they created Growlithe and tried to make Arcanine seem like a common Pokemon. Ho-oh was left out of R/B for some unknown reason.

In fact, that has happened in any occasions. An evolution of a Pokemon has been created before the per-evolution. For example, Rhyhorn was based off Rhydon.

Anyway, they obviously decided against Arcanine as a legendary after the second episode, because if you can see, in the ruins on the Pokemon Center wall there is a picture of Articuno, Zapdos, Arcanine and Ho-oh. Moltres is absent.

-Elana-
I really didnt know arcanine was legendary, Good information there, Where did you get that from?/Know it?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:26 PM
The Admiral GiMoo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

It's in Serebii.. Check it..

Credit to Anastasia-R for making the banner!
Old 02-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Dark Salamence Offline

Send a message via AIM to Dark Salamence Send a message via MSN to Dark Salamence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyKyogre View Post
I really didnt know arcanine was legendary, Good information there, Where did you get that from?/Know it?
Thanks. I got it from Team Rocket's Rockin.'

http://www.trsrockin.com/mysteries.html

It's near the bottom of the page. ;]

-Elana-

TwitterTumblrDeviantart
Old 02-22-2009, 02:34 AM
coolmewkim22 Offline

And, that's a reliable source?
*sigh*
Old 02-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmewkim22 View Post
And, that's a reliable source?
*sigh*
And that's a useful post?
*sigh*

It's a tough choice where to put Arcanine, now that BL is non-existant, but seeing as its movepool leaves a bit to be desired, Smogon grouped it in the UU tier. I mean, it really only gets good Fire Moves, and the only good Physical Fire Move he gets is Flare Blitz, which combined with a Life Orb (the most common item for RK9), is not going to let him last very long. I mean, his only Electric attack aside from HP is Thunder Fang, which has a tad low base power.
So yeah, it's really just his movepool that makes him UU. (From what I can see)
If there are other reasons that I'm not covering, someone please correct me.

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Old 02-22-2009, 11:22 AM
atucker22 Offline

He's very cool, and he's strong, but he's not a legend
The "FireMaster" banner done by Thunder1990 My VPP Stats
Old 02-22-2009, 01:15 PM
coolmewkim22 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Turtwig View Post
And that's a useful post?
*sigh*
Well, that was mean and uncalled.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Leki Fenrir Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Leki Fenrir

I think what Elana said is true (wasn't there also a plate later on in the series, with the light house? It had Ho-Oh, Dragonite, Arcanine and someone else in it? I'll try to track it down) and also, I think there's a Chinese Legend regarding something that looks like Arcanine.
Yellow;
"A legendary POKéMON in China. Many people are charmed by its grace and beauty while running."
Gold;
"This legendary Chinese POKEMON is considered magnificent. Many people are enchanted by its grand mane."

Just a thought, though. :3 I have no sources to back it up.

Editz//: It's a door. X3; My bad.
I can see: Moltres, Arcanine, Scyther, Kangashkan, Flareon, Mewtwo, Ditto, Gengar, Muk, Victreebell, Golbat, Drowzee, Eggsecute, Machoke or Champ (Ash is in the way), Vaporeon, Gyarados, Omanyte, Electabuzz, Lapras, Shellder, Chansey(?), Pinsir, Zapdos...I think there's a few more, but I really can't tell what they are.
Tauros' tail is given a brief spotlight. Most of the Pokemon there look like Rare / Safari Zone Pokemon to me.
o3o All from Episode 13, right near the beginning, "Mystery at the Lighthouse".

[ - ] Lanturn@3412 glubglub~Zap ~ Lynx

"Oops..." | x1247 2395 4877 | "...My finger slipped..."

Last edited by Leki Fenrir; 02-22-2009 at 03:15 PM.