Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-11-2009, 06:41 PM
White_Rabbit's Avatar
White_Rabbit Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Never Never Wonderland!
Posts: 334
Send a message via AIM to White_Rabbit
Default WHat is a Bot?

perfectly legit question. what is a bot?


and i know it's not a discussion thread thingy, but yeah....idk where this kind of question will go.
__________________
thats right little girl, follow the little white bunny...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Momoko's Avatar
Momoko Offline
Experienced Trainer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Daikirai </3
Posts: 197
Send a message via AIM to Momoko
Default Re: WHat is a Bot?

Assuming you mean a computer game bot:

A bot is something that will play an online game for you as long as you keep the computer running. These are frowned upon by most games and usually end up with the player being given a ban if they are found out. Bots are usually used by people who have access to multiple accounts and hacked versions of the games they play (or multiple computers with various IPs) that allow them to play on each account on different characters to gather in game materials (such as ingame currency or equipment).

Bots are more noticeable because of their movements and attacks seem to be more automated than player-controlled (e.g. a character moving in straight paths instead of curving with the road or using skills and such when they are actually needed and not when a character has low health). Again, these are generally frowned upon by every game and shouldn't be used in any situation.

Also, bots are usually the cause of in game inflation, currency sellers, and powerleveling services, which ruin the quality and thought of a game.
__________________
URPG {Stats} | VPP {Completed @ 291} | ももこ~
=.=; I'll get something new later...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Dark Turtwig's Avatar
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Acually, can I crash at your place?
Posts: 4,249
Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig
Default Re: WHat is a Bot?

Bots are advertising robots from websites that sign up on forums with random usernames and they post topics advertising things, like there was one yesterday for the little blue pills, and one earlier for a porn site.
__________________
{Mah Linkz}

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: WHat is a Bot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoko View Post
Assuming you mean a computer game bot:

A bot is something that will play an online game for you as long as you keep the computer running. These are frowned upon by most games and usually end up with the player being given a ban if they are found out. Bots are usually used by people who have access to multiple accounts and hacked versions of the games they play (or multiple computers with various IPs) that allow them to play on each account on different characters to gather in game materials (such as ingame currency or equipment).

Bots are more noticeable because of their movements and attacks seem to be more automated than player-controlled (e.g. a character moving in straight paths instead of curving with the road or using skills and such when they are actually needed and not when a character has low health). Again, these are generally frowned upon by every game and shouldn't be used in any situation.

Also, bots are usually the cause of in game inflation, currency sellers, and powerleveling services, which ruin the quality and thought of a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Turtwig View Post
Bots are advertising robots from websites that sign up on forums with random usernames and they post topics advertising things, like there was one yesterday for the little blue pills, and one earlier for a porn site.
I believe your answer is here.

To simplify for tl;dr-ers...

Bots are automated programs that serve to do menial stuff that people don't want to do and do less efficiently anyhow. Farming for items/exp is one. Also, spamming up forums is a lot more time-consuming and difficult than you think. You have to register for an account, open your email to activate account (in most cases), then load up your copypasta and spam it. It's kinda tough if you ask me. And boring after the nth time.
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM
White_Rabbit's Avatar
White_Rabbit Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Never Never Wonderland!
Posts: 334
Send a message via AIM to White_Rabbit
Default Re: WHat is a Bot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Turtwig View Post
Bots are advertising robots from websites that sign up on forums with random usernames and they post topics advertising things, like there was one yesterday for the little blue pills, and one earlier for a porn site.
ok, i was thinking this answer is it. thanx.
__________________
thats right little girl, follow the little white bunny...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2009, 10:08 AM
The Admiral GiMoo's Avatar
The Admiral GiMoo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: End of the RainBow.
Posts: 1,679
Default Re: WHat is a Bot?

Quote:

Internet bots, also known as web robots, WWW robots or simply bots, are software applications that run automated tasks over the Internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering, in which an automated script fetches, analyses and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. Each server can have a file called robots.txt, containing rules for the spidering of that server that the bot is supposed to obey.

In addition to their uses outlined above, bots may also be implemented where a response speed faster than that of humans is required (e.g., gaming bots and auction-site robots) or less commonly in situations where the emulation of human activity is required, for example chat bots.

These chatterbots may allow people to ask questions in plain English and then formulate a proper response. These bots can often handle many tasks, including reporting weather, zip-code information, sports scores, converting currency or other units, etc. Others are used for entertainment, such as SmarterChild on AOL Instant Messenger and MSN Messenger and Jabberwacky on Yahoo! Messenger.

WIKIPEDIA
~Wikipedia
__________________


Credit to Anastasia-R for making the banner!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Assaundrell Yumerai's Avatar
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Where ninjas and Pokemons are
Posts: 1,517
Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai
Default Re: WHat is a Bot?

The post above me described em all, but if you want some examples, go to Wii/N64 Section and you'll see.
__________________
I liek Mew I love Mew
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2009, 03:41 PM
LimeGreen's Avatar
LimeGreen Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: <<<<<
Posts: 1,198
Default Re: WHat is a Bot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assaundrell Yumerai View Post
The post above me described em all, but if you want some examples, go to Wii/N64 Section and you'll see.
ALOT of examples ALOT!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 PM
The Admiral GiMoo's Avatar
The Admiral GiMoo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: End of the RainBow.
Posts: 1,679
Default Re: WHat is a Bot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assaundrell Yumerai View Post
The post above me described em all, but if you want some examples, go to Wii/N64 Section and you'll see.
It might not be recommended since some of the bot posts are porn.
__________________


Credit to Anastasia-R for making the banner!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Lusitania Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,119
Default Re: WHat is a Bot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimoo View Post
It might not be recommended since some of the bot posts are porn.
At this point, most of the bots post porn. Goddamnit >_<
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com