Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:25 AM
xcolbs Offline
Master Trainer

Default RMT ~ OU Shoddy Team

EDIT
I made a couple of silly errors that I fixed: for some reason I had it in my mind that Scizor is weak to Stealth Rock when it obviously isn't (d'oh!). I also changed Blissey's Light Screen to Reflect, which was an error on my part; I may have typed it down after I described that Scizor's Brick Break can be used to break Light Screens. Anywho. xD

~~~

Well, I decided to abandon the last team I posted here as it really didn't work out too well for me even after I made the necessary changes. Thus, I decided to switch gears and focus on a strictly OU team seeing how they're the most prominent in the Shoddy server. My main concern is that most OU Pokemon can be read, and the opponent can easily make predictions as to what you will do. Because of this, I decided to try to approach constructing a team from a different angle by assigning move sets that are probably not as commonly seen as others. While I'm on the subject I will say flat-out that I am not very comfortable utilizing Choice Band/Scarf sets as I tend to forget that I assigned that particular item, and therefore find myself in an awkward situation (I got stuck on just using Roost with Togekiss when it was my last Pokemon). I suppose I can try to adapt to those certain sets, but I'll really have to work with them I think.

With all of that said, let us move on! :)

Meet the Team

Opening Statements
It's cliche, but one of the primary purposes of this team is to have a solid lead to set up Taunt and Stealth Rock, and my aim was to create a team that is fast, but also defensive enough to stick around in battle. However, I am concerned that I may have focused too much on making the team offensive, and that Blissey alone probably won't be too much of a help when I run into a difficult situation. Aerodactyl, Starmie and Blissey all support, but Blissey and Suicune are pretty much the most defensive. That being said I am willing to listen to any suggestions that may help balance out the team between offensive and defensive statistics. I also wanted to avoid Stealth Rock weaknesses, or at least prominent ones, but since my team isn't really weak against SR then I am not sure if I should replace Starmie or have it stick around just in case. Another uncertainty of mine is that is may not be entirely wise of me to utilize two Water types, but Dugtrio and Aerodactyl can help eliminate any Electric threats. I am also kind of stuck on which move set would best benefit Blissey, but I'll cover that in more detail in a moment.

The Team In-Depth
@ Focus Sash
Pressure
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
* Taunt
* Stealth Rock
* Earthquake
* Rock Slide

Of course, Aerodactyl is a definite consideration for a supporting lead as well as to set up Stealth Rock. With its Speed EVs Aerodactyl can out speed most OU leads allowing it to first Taunt and then set up Stealth Rock. Earthquake and Rock Slide make for some nice type coverage and can help whittle down the health of most OU leads like Infernape. I avoided Ice Fang since Starmie, Suicune and Blissey all know Ice Beam, and I chose Rock Slide over more powerful moves like Stone Edge for the flinch rate.

@ Life Orb
Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
* Earthquake
* Stone Edge
* Night Slash
* Aerial Ace

Yet another speedy contender, Dugtrio's purpose is to hit hard and fast. Earthquake is for STAB and to OHKO Heatran, Stone Edge is for Flying types, Night Slash is reserved for Alakazam and Gengar and Aerial Ace can be used to decimate Breloom and Heracross.

@ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Timid Nature
136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spe
* Rapid Spin
* Ice Beam
* Thunderbolt
* Recover

I wanted to make Starmie a Spinner to cover for annoying Spikes and Rocks, but I also wanted to turn it into a Boltbeamer. This is a straightforward set with the standard moves to help cover most types, and with Recover and Leftovers to help it stick around.

@ Life Orb
Technician
Adamant Nature
32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
* Swords Dance
* Bullet Punch
* Brick Break
* Quick Attack

Scizor is to be used as a Physical Sweeper in this team, of course. With a boost from Swords Dance, Scizor should be able to OHKO most Pokemon with Bullet Punch, and even Quick Attack (this was chosen over X-Scissor simply because of the prospect of always hitting first with the effects of Protect aside). Brick Break counter Steel- and Rock-types, and is also used to break Light Screens. It can also probably be used as bait for Fire types like Infernape and Heatran.

@ Life Orb
Pressure
Timid Nature
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
* Calm Mind
* Surf
* Ice Beam (Grass Knot?)
* HP Electric

This is a standard Calm Mind set for Suicune, and I am aiming to use it as my Special Sweeper. With a Calm Mind or two Suicune can lay waste to almost any Pokemon, as its moves cover many weaknesses. Surf is for STAB, Ice Beam is for Dragon-, Flying- and Grass-types, and HP Electric is for Gyarados. I am thinking of replacing Ice Beam with Grass Knot to counter bulky Water types, but I haven't decided yet. Let me know what you think.

@ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Calm Nature
252 Def / 120 SpA / 136 SpD
* Charm
* Ice Beam (Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Grass Knot?)
* Reflect
* Softboiled

I wanted to go with a semi-unpredictable move set for Blissey, and thus I went with this one. Charm will help force switches, and thus put Stealth Rock to good use, and when a physical attacker is switched in she can set up Reflect. I am stuck on her single offensive move. Two of my other Pokemon currently know Ice Beam, but with the threat of Dragon Pokemon switching in I am not so sure what to do with it. I could eliminate Flamethrower since Ice Beam can decimate Grass types just as well, but Thunderbolt destroys Gyarados and Grass Knot cripples bulky Waters like Swampert. I guess what I'll end up teaching her depends on if I change Suicune's Ice Beam to Grass Knot.

In Conclusion
Whatcha think, fellow raters? Again, I admit to this team being a tad offensive, so any advice toward making it more balanced it highly appreciated. Keep in mind that the team relies heavily on Speed, so if suggestions on their EVs are to be made please consider balancing out the Speed EVs with the rest of the spread.

Whew, I think that's it! Have at it! :)

venusaurfancier
VPP ~ URPG ~ DEVIANTART

Last edited by xcolbs; 02-08-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Firey is The Fox Offline

Default Re: RMT ~ OU Shoddy Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcolbs View Post
Well, I decided to abandon the last team I posted here as it really didn't work out too well for me even after I made the necessary changes. Thus, I decided to switch gears and focus on a strictly OU team seeing how they're the most prominent in the Shoddy server. My main concern is that most OU Pokemon can be read, and the opponent can easily make predictions as to what you will do. Because of this, I decided to try to approach constructing a team from a different angle by assigning move sets that are probably not as commonly seen as others. While I'm on the subject I will say flat-out that I am not very comfortable utilizing Choice Band/Scarf sets as I tend to forget that I assigned that particular item, and therefore find myself in an awkward situation (I got stuck on just using Roost with Togekiss when it was my last Pokemon). I suppose I can try to adapt to those certain sets, but I'll really have to work with them I think.

With all of that said, let us move on! :)

Meet the Team

Opening Statements
It's cliche, but one of the primary purposes of this team is to have a solid lead to set up Taunt and Stealth Rock, and my aim was to create a team that is fast, but also defensive enough to stick around in battle. However, I am concerned that I may have focused too much on making the team offensive, and that Blissey alone probably won't be too much of a help when I run into a difficult situation. Aerodactyl, Starmie and Blissey all support, but Blissey and Suicune are pretty much the most defensive. That being said I am willing to listen to any suggestions that may help balance out the team between offensive and defensive statistics. I also wanted to avoid Stealth Rock weaknesses, or at least prominent ones, and so my main concern is Scizor's well-being. With Starmie being a Spinner, however, it helps to ease that uncertainty, and so Scizor may play out best as a late-game Sweeper. Another uncertainty of mine is that is may not be entirely wise of me to utilize two Water types, but Dugtrio and Aerodactyl can help eliminate any Electric threats. I am also kind of stuck on which move set would best benefit Blissey, but I'll cover that in more detail in a moment.

The Team In-Depth
@ Focus Sash
Pressure
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
* Taunt
* Stealth Rock
* Earthquake
* Rock Slide

Of course, Aerodactyl is a definite consideration for a supporting lead as well as to set up Stealth Rock. With its Speed EVs Aerodactyl can out speed most OU leads allowing it to first Taunt and then set up Stealth Rock. Earthquake and Rock Slide make for some nice type coverage and can help whittle down the health of most OU leads like Infernape. I avoided Ice Fang since Starmie, Suicune and Blissey all know Ice Beam, and I chose Rock Slide over more powerful moves like Stone Edge for the flinch rate.

@ Life Orb
Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
* Earthquake
* Stone Edge
* Night Slash
* Aerial Ace

Yet another speedy contender, Dugtrio's purpose is to hit hard and fast. Earthquake is for STAB and to OHKO Heatran, Stone Edge is for Flying types, Night Slash is reserved for Alakazam and Gengar and Aerial Ace can be used to decimate Breloom and Heracross.

@ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Timid Nature
136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spe
* Rapid Spin
* Ice Beam
* Thunderbolt
* Recover

I wanted to make Starmie a Spinner to cover for Scizor's Stealth Rock weakness and for Spikes, but I also wanted to turn it into a Boltbeamer. This is a straightforward set with the standard moves to help cover most types, and with Recover and Leftovers to help it stick around.

@ Life Orb
Technician
Adamant Nature
32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
* Swords Dance
* Bullet Punch
* Brick Break
* Quick Attack

Scizor is used as a Physical Sweeper in this team, and will most likely be brought out late in the game when the opponent's Stealth Rock Pokemon have been eliminated and the effects have been spun away by Starmie. With a boost from Swords Dance Scizor should be able to OHKO most Pokemon with Bullet Punch, and even Quick Attack (this was chosen over X-Scissor simply because of the prospect of always hitting first with the effects of Protect aside). Brick Break counter Steel- and Rock-types, and is also used to break Light Screens. If Scizor is forced to participate early in the game it can also be used as bait for Fire types like Infernape and Heatran.

@ Life Orb
Pressure
Timid Nature
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
* Calm Mind
* Surf
* Ice Beam (Grass Knot?)
* HP Electric

This is a standard Calm Mind set for Suicune, and I am aiming to use it as my Special Sweeper. With a Calm Mind or two Suicune can lay waste to almost any Pokemon, as its moves cover many weaknesses. Surf is for STAB, Ice Beam is for Dragon-, Flying- and Grass-types, and HP Electric is for Gyarados. I am thinking of replacing Ice Beam with Grass Knot to counter bulky Water types, but I haven't decided yet. Let me know what you think.

@ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Calm Nature
252 Def / 120 SpA / 136 SpD
* Charm
* Ice Beam (Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Grass Knot?)
* Light Screen
* Softboiled

I wanted to go with a semi-unpredictable move set for Blissey, and thus I went with this one. Charm will help force switches, and thus put Stealth Rock to good use, and when a physical attacker is switched in she can set up Light Screen. I am stuck on her single offensive move. Two of my other Pokemon currently know Ice Beam, but with the threat of Dragon Pokemon switching in I am not so sure what to do with it. I could eliminate Flamethrower since Ice Beam can decimate Grass types just as well, but Thunderbolt destroys Gyarados and Grass Knot cripples bulky Waters like Swampert. I guess what I'll end up teaching her depends on if I change Suicune's Ice Beam to Grass Knot.

In Conclusion
Whatcha think, fellow raters? Again, I admit to this team being a tad offensive, so any advice toward making it more balanced it highly appreciated. Keep in mind that the team relies heavily on Speed, so if suggestions on their EVs are to be made please consider balancing out the Speed EVs with the rest of the spread.

Whew, I think that's it! Have at it! :)
@ Blissey.
If any attacking moves there, it should be Ice Beam. I covers off all type-disadvantages. But for something that isn't there, try Seismic Toss.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Vlad The Impaler Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Scizor is not weak to SR, so a spinner isn't quite so necessary.

You may want to consider a CB Dugtrio instead of Life Orb.

And if Blissey forces switches into a Physical attacker, surely it wants Reflect as it already has a monstous Sp.Defense?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
xcolbs Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampaging Luvdisc View Post
Scizor is not weak to SR, so a spinner isn't quite so necessary.

You may want to consider a CB Dugtrio instead of Life Orb.

And if Blissey forces switches into a Physical attacker, surely it wants Reflect as it already has a monstous Sp.Defense?
Oh man... You're totally right about Scizor; I keep thinking of Scyther's SR weakness what with the Bug/Flying combo. -headdesk- Agh, I seem to have had a lot of brain farts last night; I meant to put in Reflect instead of Light Screen. Ugh, where has my head been... -double headdesk-

venusaurfancier
VPP ~ URPG ~ DEVIANTART

Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Verystrait42 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Dugtrio is useless as a revenge killer without a scarf, due to his crappy defenses. Heatran, who is the most useful pokemon he will OHKO, will laugh, and OHKO with fire blast.

Reached 11 on Challenge Cup PO ladder.

Wi-fi: Zack, 2665-5033-9610
Shoddy/PO Username: Verystrait42
Old 02-08-2009, 10:05 PM
xcolbs Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verystrait42 View Post
Dugtrio is useless as a revenge killer without a scarf, due to his crappy defenses. Heatran, who is the most useful pokemon he will OHKO, will laugh, and OHKO with fire blast.
I'll definitely take note of that. Thanks!

venusaurfancier
VPP ~ URPG ~ DEVIANTART

Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 PM
cutter kirby Offline

Smile Re: RMT ~ OU Shoddy Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verystrait42 View Post
But Dugtrio with a scarf cant kill almost anything.(even arial ace cant kill breloom. I tried it).
Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter kirby View Post
But Dugtrio with a scarf cant kill almost anything.(even arial ace cant kill breloom. I tried it).
That, and CB Dugtrio beats everything except Scarftran locked into HP Ice IIRC. CB Dugtrio kills so many things it's ridiculous.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 02-09-2009, 03:21 PM
xcolbs Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
That, and CB Dugtrio beats everything except Scarftran locked into HP Ice IIRC. CB Dugtrio kills so many things it's ridiculous.
I never thought I'd see the day when Dugtrio would be so versatile, lol. Okay, I'll check out the CB option and see if it works for me (I'd definitely want to OHKO Heatran and Breloom in one hit). :)

venusaurfancier
VPP ~ URPG ~ DEVIANTART

Old 03-05-2009, 06:35 PM
KageryuEX Offline

Send a message via AIM to KageryuEX

You might want to watch out for DD Kingdra.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you no have real counter for it once it gets a DD in.
Just a random thought that came up while looking at this team.
Anyway, it looks pretty good.