Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Powerman 6k Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Powerman 6k
Default Dead

I need some people's opinions. Should I get the program when I get a laptop? Or should I just keep XP?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94
Default Re: Windows Vista?

Depends what you're using the laptop for and how long you've had it.

If you're using the laptop for games, Vista isn't the best as not all games have adapted to the new systems. Stay with XP there.

If you're using Vista for Work or Business, then Vista's pretty good!

Sure, Vista has its bugs and sometimes it's better to stay with XP, so... Depends if you're willing to step over into that new frontier or not.

Personally, I have XP on my computer at Mum's and Dad's computers all have Vista. I prefer XP, because it plays games and does work really well, so it really comes down to a personal opinion.

**Also, Vista sometimes costs an arm and a leg if that applies to you*

The Brood is growing!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:37 PM
RonS WINDOWS-TEAM Offline
New Trainer

Hi The Thoughts of Warhol,

My name is Ron. I’m a member of the Windows Outreach Team. Just saw your question and thought I’d pop in and try to help out a bit.

Microsoft stopped shipping XP on June 30, 2008. That doesn’t mean they aren’t out there, they are just considerably harder to find, so Vista is your best bet and also has the most up-to-date suite of tools.

If you’re in the market for a new laptop now, you might want to download and install the new Windows 7 Beta, as that might be a route you will want to take in the future. You can get all the info about Windows 7 and links to the download here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx.

Good luck with purchasing the new laptop!

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team
Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
karmachameleon Offline

Send a message via AIM to karmachameleon

Windows is watching us, using us for research.

I'd stick with XP.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:52 AM
Nirvash Offline

Send a message via AIM to Nirvash

I've had bad experiences with Vista when I used it on my friend's computer. I couldn't run games well at all. D:

I boot XP on my PC. I am gonna see how Win7 plays out, and then probably switch to that if I buy more RAM.

BUUUUTTT if you really want to, you can run vista. If your computer can handle it and gaming isn't one of your main concerns.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:11 PM
RonS WINDOWS-TEAM Offline
New Trainer

@karmachameleon – not watching, just here to help. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

@Nirvash – have you tried out the Windows 7 Beta? If you’re running XP you can always dual-boot your system. Check out http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...-download.aspx if you want to learn more.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 PM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

The only problems I had with vista was when it first came out and hardly nothing was compatible with it. But now almost everything is compatible with it so, yeah. If you do decide to get it, get the premium package, because the basic sucks. *stabs self for getting basic*

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 02-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Nirvash Offline

Send a message via AIM to Nirvash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS WINDOWS-TEAM View Post
@Nirvash – have you tried out the Windows 7 Beta? If you’re running XP you can always dual-boot your system. Check out http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...-download.aspx if you want to learn more.
I've looked at it, not downloaded yet. I was going to see if it can run at any good speed at all with 512 MB of RAM, since I am low on money right now.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:29 AM
Wingull Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Wingull

It depends, If you're buying to play games, then stick to the XP.
Either than that, Vista works pretty well, depending on how expensive it is.
I got one, it's great! :D
Old 02-06-2009, 03:41 AM
Pokol DaErran Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thoughts of Warhol View Post
I need some people's opinions. Should I get the program when I get a laptop? Or should I just keep XP?
As a lot of people said, Vista is pretty superior to XP, but it has problems with some games, so you might want to run XP if playing them is the main reason you want a laptop.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:45 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Well Thoughts of Warhol, you have your verdict, and I agree with it. The one thing I will say, though, is DON'T GET 7 BETA ON A NEW LAPTOP! I'm sorry Ron, you seem like a nice guy (although I am puzzled as to why the heck a member of the Windows Outreach Team is on a pokemon forum in the first place), but it's not ready. If you're going to get it, do what I'm going to do and put it on an old computer. A really old computer. One you don't care about the fate of. Trust me on this one, I know quite a few people and there have actually been people on my grandmother's team at IBM whos computers crashed and burned when they got the Win7 Beta. Now, don't get me wrong, I might try it out when the final version is released and just hold on to my Vista disk that came with the laptop, but there are some things that you don't play around with with Betas, and operating systems are right up there.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

To my knowledge, Vista still has some incompatibility with a lot of programs/games/hardware. The only reason to upgrade (my opinion) is for the user interface features. Otherwise, I'd stick to XP for now.

Though, when you buy a new computer/labtop these days, they all have Vista.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 02-08-2009, 02:11 AM
xcolbs Offline
Master Trainer

I suppose it depends on what your preferences are. If you're a gamer you might want to stick with XP since some games aren't compatible with Vista, especially older ones. The only thing Vista really has going for it is that it's shiny and it's more secure (although the confirmation boxes get a little annoying at times).

I'd say stick with XP, or upgrade to Windows 7 since there's really no reason to have Vista.

venusaurfancier
VPP ~ URPG ~ DEVIANTART