Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:12 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE
Default Re: Racial Slurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceBAM View Post
What I don't understand is why blacks are called African-Americans. I mean, sure, for the original people that were brought over from Africa, you could refer to them as that, but why today's blacks? You're American. White people aren't called European Americans.

... But according to you, what are you supposed to call black people that live in Australia or Europe or something? :O

So yeah, I think 'white' and 'black' are perfectly acceptable.
Caucasian, african american, hispanic, etc. are just technical terms that we use to tell each race from one another. And for example, I would call a black person from australian an "australian afican american". But really it's a tecnical term that we have used for decades and it would be stupid to change it.

I live in the south and you will be surprised how much people still use the "n" word and it really makes me mad. For instance I watch this interview with person from this area, and they asked her who is she going to vote for. And she said "I voted for McCain because Obama is black, and I ain't going to vote for some n***** for president."

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 AM
poke123 Offline

Quote:
What I don't understand is why blacks are called African-Americans. I mean, sure, for the original people that were brought over from Africa, you could refer to them as that, but why today's blacks? You're American. White people aren't called European Americans.

... But according to you, what are you supposed to call black people that live in Australia or Europe or something? :O

I agree with this. In my opinion, 'black' and 'white' are acceptable. They are not meant to be derogatory terms, though some may view those words as such.

@ Chaos Dude: I understand what you're saying about racial slurs offending you and hurting your feelings, and they often offend me too (I'm Hispanic) , but for the most part I've learned to ignore racist people; they usually are ignorant. However, I don't consider 'white', black' or 'asian' to be racist slurs. Also, I've never actually heard any one say caucasian, most people say white.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:15 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Actually a black person from Australia using the African American template would be African Australian.

That's just splitting hairs though.

I do agree that there are worse instances of racism than someone using the word black. I've lived in Alabama and Texas and I've witnessed a lot of violence and hatred due to race.

Hi

Old 02-01-2009, 04:42 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
White people are White Anglo Saxton Protestants. D:<
So everyone white is a Protestant? That's racial and religious stereotyping (or something like that). No good.

Imo, the way stuff like black or white are used is important. If they're used in a way such that it's intended to be offensive, that's of course unacceptable. If not, well, it's acceptable. However, whether it's acceptable or not is hard to detect, and could adversely (or not) affect the black or white person's mind.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:56 AM
poke123 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post
So everyone white is a Protestant? That's racial and religious stereotyping (or something like that). No good.
I'm pretty sure FA meant something else. He was saying that a lot of 'white' people descended from Anglo Saxon Protestants; he wasn't being racist.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:14 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post

No, WASP is simply a classification that a lot of white people fit into. I was poking fun at the usage of overly specific titles when discussing ethnicity and background.

Quote:
Imo, the way stuff like black or white are used is important. If they're used in a way such that it's intended to be offensive, that's of course unacceptable. If not, well, it's acceptable. However, whether it's acceptable or not is hard to detect, and could adversely (or not) affect the black or white person's mind.
So basically, you're saying words can be good or bad, and they may or may not do something?

Hi

Old 02-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:

No, WASP is simply a classification that a lot of white people fit into. I was poking fun at the usage of overly specific titles when discussing ethnicity and background.
So you were giving an example... I misunderstood.

Quote:
So basically, you're saying words can be good or bad, and they may or may not do something?
Yep. I also said that this would be the hardest part of the problem to tackle.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Splishee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Splishee

Um, calling all black people 'African American' is assuming that everyone who is black are African and/or American. That isn't the case. There are plenty of French people who happen to be black. That's just a silly thing to say.

I'm not offended by any name, as long as it's not said with obvious hate. I don't see why people get worked up over small jokes amongst friends - we should accept and embrace our differences, and not go out of our way to be offended by small, insignificant words.

Last edited by Splishee; 02-01-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Loyal Arcanine Offline

Send a message via AIM to Loyal Arcanine

Quote:

That's an interesting point actually. Over there, black people seem to be totally accepted as Americans. When I was in Atlanta last summer, I got in a chat with a black police man. He was asking where I came from and stuff, I told him I was from Holland. He then asked me "oh, but where do you really come from? I mean, you're colored, so you can't be from Holland". He referred to himself as American (as he obviously is) and I kinda jokingly told him if he wanted to go back so far as me not being from Holland, he wouldn't be American either.

Either way, more to the topic at hand, I don't get fussed about these terms really. My white friends sometimes greet me with "yo ******", although the Dutch word is maybe not considered as ... hurtful as it is in English. But ****** itself wouldn't really bother me either. If somebody hates me for my color, it doesn't matter if they call me ****** or not, their feelings are the same anyway.

EDIT: Lol, nigger is sensored. I guess that shows how it is generally considered hurtful?

"gengar is a fart" imsocorn (4:08:55): Is that your way of saying "and not a single **** was given that day" ?

Old 02-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Black Hawk Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Stevee View Post
Caucasian, african american, hispanic, etc. are just technical terms that we use to tell each race from one another. And for example, I would call a black person from australian an "australian afican american". But really it's a tecnical term that we have used for decades and it would be stupid to change it.
Why would you call them Australian African American If they're Australian?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal Arcanine View Post
That's an interesting point actually. Over there, black people seem to be totally accepted as Americans. When I was in Atlanta last summer, I got in a chat with a black police man. He was asking where I came from and stuff, I told him I was from Holland. He then asked me "oh, but where do you really come from? I mean, you're colored, so you can't be from Holland". He referred to himself as American (as he obviously is) and I kinda jokingly told him if he wanted to go back so far as me not being from Holland, he wouldn't be American either.

Either way, more to the topic at hand, I don't get fussed about these terms really. My white friends sometimes greet me with "yo ******", although the Dutch word is maybe not considered as ... hurtful as it is in English. But ****** itself wouldn't really bother me either. If somebody hates me for my color, it doesn't matter if they call me ****** or not, their feelings are the same anyway.

EDIT: Lol, nigger is sensored. I guess that shows how it is generally considered hurtful?
You're black? I learn something everyday I'm not in school :O

On a side note, I'm half and half, like a Barack Obama color and I'm not offended by any racial slurs. If any body calls me a ******, I just jokingly respond with a corresponding and equally insulting name.

PiEaNdChIpS678 (10:48:49 PM): I found one
Mikey94028 (10:49:14 PM): is that
Mikey94028 (10:49:17 PM): who I think it is
husnainisme (10:49:25 PM): wailord
Mikey94028 (10:49:29 PM): o
Mikey94028 (10:49:34 PM): I thought it was dead
Old 02-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Loyal Arcanine Offline

Send a message via AIM to Loyal Arcanine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hawk View Post

You're black? I learn something everyday I'm not in school :O

On a side note, I'm half and half, like a Barack Obama color and I'm not offended by any racial slurs. If any body calls me a ******, I just jokingly respond with a corresponding and equally insulting name.
Well yeah, I'm kinda like Obama too lol. Neither of my parents is white though, they're both also just a mix of a lot of ethnicities.

"gengar is a fart" imsocorn (4:08:55): Is that your way of saying "and not a single **** was given that day" ?

Old 02-01-2009, 04:10 PM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

Send a message via AIM to FireflyK

I think most of what can be said already has.

As an anecdote, though, I'd like to add that I thought black was the non offensive term. I used to use african american, but I got yelled at for assuming that all black people are both african and american, when some are only one, or neither. =X

I think people fuss too much about when black people call each other the n word, though. It's different when you're part of the group, after all, just like how people who are gay are reclaiming words that used to be slurs. I live with a group of guys who will greet each other with things like "Hey fairy/f*g/etc", and I don't really see a problem with it. Hell, I have a friend who greets people with things like "Hey B*****". People will insult each other if they're goofing around, as long as no one's offended, I don't think it's important.

My hands have yet to build a village, have yet to find water in the barren desert, have yet to plant a flower, and I have yet to find the path that leads me... I have not loved enough, but the wind and the sun are still on my face.

I have yet to sow green fields, yet to raise a city, yet to plant a grapevine on each chalky hill... There is so much to build and so much to be, and my love is just beginning.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:08 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hawk View Post
*sigh*
The way Fire Away said it is better. Really it's just a technical term. Wait I think I got it. I think they started using the term "African American" right after the civil rights movement. I'm guessing they wanted to use something besides black so there wouldn't be any conflict over it and African American was the best we came up with. But this is just a guess.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 02-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Misa Offline
Master Trainer

So, I've heard some people call asians "ch*nks" in some parts of my school. If an asian does it, I'm all right with it. If a person that's not asian calls it though, I get offended.

but the terms "black and white" aren't really offensive at all imo because usually, most people are cool with being called that for some reason. (I use the term caucasian and african tho)

Sig made by me <3
DS Friend code: 0388 0422 8434
Wii friend code:

I'm up for any battles, but I also do uber battles as well, whether it be singles or doubles.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Shiron

Eh, this whole subject is fickle. Mostly all the black ghetto kids I know, and no, I'm not being racist, can get away with any racial slur they want, but once a white dude says something, they get jumped easily. Actually, white people are the only ones who CAN'T get away with racial slurs, even when it's in a joking manner.

I Am Everything You Ever Were Afraid Of

My Friend Code: 2922-3457-5225