Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-22-2009, 01:57 AM
TeirusuFX's Avatar
TeirusuFX Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ( ^ ω^)b
Posts: 3,914
Send a message via MSN to TeirusuFX Send a message via Yahoo to TeirusuFX Send a message via Skype™ to TeirusuFX
Default Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

I've ben wondering sometimes about some weaknesses and resistances that don't make sense...I'll give a few examples

Water ---> Grass Resistance = If you give a plant too much water, wouldn't it die?

Ice ---> Water Resistance = Ice can turn water to ice, water can also turn ice into water.

Fighting ---> Flying Resistance = Physically abusing a bird would heavily damage them.

Bug ---> Dark Weakness = ...A bug can infiltrate darkness?

Fighting ---> Dark Weakness = You can't touch the darkness.

Can you think of any more or more analogies?



Mairusu
__________________
| §VPP§ | §URPG§ |

Ah! Aya-chan! Aya-chan genki?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Pickleboy's Avatar
Pickleboy Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In a local grocery store near you!
Posts: 973
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeirusuFX View Post
I've ben wondering sometimes about some weaknesses and resistances that don't make sense...I'll give a few examples

Water ---> Grass Resistance = If you give a plant too much water, wouldn't it die?

Ice ---> Water Resistance = Ice can turn water to ice, water can also turn ice into water.

Fighting ---> Flying Resistance = Physically abusing a bird would heavily damage them.

Bug ---> Dark Weakness = ...A bug can infiltrate darkness?

Fighting ---> Dark Weakness = You can't touch the darkness.

Can you think of any more or more analogies?



Mairusu
Well, let me start off by correcting a few things...

-Grass absorbs water for nutrition, and without it, it would die. Water attacking plants are only really doing them good.
-I do kind of agree with you on the Ice-Water thing. I don't think Ice should have a Water weakness, but I think Water should have an Ice weakness, though I guess if you throw a cube of ice in a puddle of water, the water isn't going to freeze, the Ice is going to melt and become water, so I guess I can see how Water WOULD resist Ice.
-Physically abusing anything would heavily damage it. The point behind Flying resisting Fighting is that it's pretty hard to hit someone who is flying around, and provided you do hit them, it's probably only just a scrape, resuting in the attack not being very effective. What I DON'T understand is how Fighting has a Flying weakness. I'll leave that up to the imagination.
-Bugs live in the dark, they thrive from the dark. The dark doesn't do anything to them that day wouldn't, so bugs have free reign in any kind of light. I think it would make since that Dark wouldn't be very effective against Bug.
-Well, nothing can touch the darkness in real life, so I guess the Dark-type should be immune to all Types? Dark also refers to evil, and Fighting-Types could be associated with super heroes, who fight evil and always prevail.

One thing that never made since to me was how Psychic prevailes over Poison... I can't think of the logic there. Or how Poison resists Fighting.
__________________
First place winner of the Keldeo Sketchbook!
White 2 FC: 3912-5346-0084
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Gaby's Avatar
Gaby Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In my Tumblr dashboard.
Posts: 2,992
Send a message via Skype™ to Gaby
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

I think that Ice and Water should be like Dragon types, they're weak to each other. Since the water melts the ice, but the ice freezes the water.

And the Psychic-Poison thing, maybe it's like, since touching something poisonous could potentially sicken you, and Psychic is using the mind, not really touching it, in a way, it overpowers the Poison, get it? o xo Same thing goes for Poison and Fighting. Fighting = touching = poisoning = sick. :D
__________________
Want to catch up with me once I inevitably go inactive again?

Tumblr is afros-on-fire.tumblr.com
Skype is afrosonfire
Steam is afrosonfire
PSN is UBOAAAAA-
Minecraft username is afros_on_fire

Now you know. <3
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Ridiculously Attractive's Avatar
Ridiculously Attractive Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 36
Send a message via AIM to Ridiculously Attractive Send a message via MSN to Ridiculously Attractive
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

I would like to know why Electric resists Steel...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Viva la Gofre's Avatar
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Merry Old England
Posts: 1,540
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

There's millions that work in either direction. Water may put out fires, but hot enough flames can evaporate water. The creators picked a set of sensible analogies that keep the game balanced.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Gold Rush's Avatar
Gold Rush Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 2,022
Send a message via AIM to Gold Rush
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

Some of them don't actually make sense but if they made it as it would be in real life, the games would be really bad, and one type of Pokemon will be better than the the rest by far Dx
__________________

[URPG] [VPP] [Knights of the Round Table] [ASB]

“For ten years I chased Suicune, and I finally got to see it. I'm all choked up!”
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 PM
The Politoed Hunter Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Floaroma Town
Posts: 3,951
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Adam- View Post
Some of them don't actually make sense but if they made it as it would be in real life, the games would be really bad, and one type of Pokemon will be better than the the rest by far Dx
Yeah, I mean, Dragon would pwn everything.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
-Zodeon Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England <3
Posts: 1,018
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

Electric can hit Rock in the games.. Why?
__________________


0989 7772 7033
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Electrivire's Avatar
Electrivire Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 29
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

if all this was the case then nothing should be able to hit a ghost type
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Vaughn's Avatar
Vaughn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 9)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 9,169
Send a message via AIM to Vaughn Send a message via Yahoo to Vaughn
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

Nothing can harm dragons, know why? They don't exist.
__________________

Hit me up on AIM: neuroticnero

vpp | urpg | pol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Viva la Gofre's Avatar
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Merry Old England
Posts: 1,540
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotic Nero View Post
Nothing can harm dragons, know why? They don't exist.
Neither do fire breathing chimps, is infernape immune to everything too?

The pokemon world is seperate from ours, mythology doesn't apply there
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM
DragoniteMistress's Avatar
DragoniteMistress Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,086
Send a message via AIM to DragoniteMistress Send a message via Yahoo to DragoniteMistress
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

Isn't pure H2O supposed to not even be all that... conductible?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 PM
TeirusuFX's Avatar
TeirusuFX Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ( ^ ω^)b
Posts: 3,914
Send a message via MSN to TeirusuFX Send a message via Yahoo to TeirusuFX Send a message via Skype™ to TeirusuFX
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleboy View Post
Well, let me start off by correcting a few things...

-Grass absorbs water for nutrition, and without it, it would die. Water attacking plants are only really doing them good.
-I do kind of agree with you on the Ice-Water thing. I don't think Ice should have a Water weakness, but I think Water should have an Ice weakness, though I guess if you throw a cube of ice in a puddle of water, the water isn't going to freeze, the Ice is going to melt and become water, so I guess I can see how Water WOULD resist Ice.
-Physically abusing anything would heavily damage it. The point behind Flying resisting Fighting is that it's pretty hard to hit someone who is flying around, and provided you do hit them, it's probably only just a scrape, resuting in the attack not being very effective. What I DON'T understand is how Fighting has a Flying weakness. I'll leave that up to the imagination.
-Bugs live in the dark, they thrive from the dark. The dark doesn't do anything to them that day wouldn't, so bugs have free reign in any kind of light. I think it would make since that Dark wouldn't be very effective against Bug.
-Well, nothing can touch the darkness in real life, so I guess the Dark-type should be immune to all Types? Dark also refers to evil, and Fighting-Types could be associated with super heroes, who fight evil and always prevail.

One thing that never made since to me was how Psychic prevailes over Poison... I can't think of the logic there. Or how Poison resists Fighting.
-I'm well aware that Grass absorbs water, I'm pointing out the fact when you overwater it, such as moves like Hydro Pump
-Ice is able to freeze water if there was more ice than water, therefore, Water should be weak against Ice
-Explain moves like Aura Sphere then, a moves that never misses, even against a Flying type foe; even if the foe is using Fly, it'd make no sense to how it could miss
-I understand that bugs can see in the dark and that they can live in the dark, now can you explain how Bugs types are super effective to Dark types, cause all I'm hearing is that bugs benifit from the dark, that's not exactly damaging the dark
-I get your point for Fighting ---> Dark Weaknesss

-That is a good question, Psychic ---> Poison Weakness
-Poison resists Fighting because you can't physically get rid of poison, as in using your body alone

Here's a new one

Water ---> Poison Regular = Can't water wash away sludge?



Mairusu
__________________
| §VPP§ | §URPG§ |

Ah! Aya-chan! Aya-chan genki?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-22-2009, 08:54 PM
atucker22's Avatar
atucker22 Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nice Try Stalker
Posts: 1,747
Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

Electric---->Ground, Lightning is always aiming to hit the ground.
__________________
Hatch: 1640 Complete
Scrafty: 1742 Complete
Level100: 1965
The "FireMaster" banner done by Thunder1990 My VPP Stats
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com