Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:14 PM
TheEvilDookie Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheEvilDookie Send a message via MSN to TheEvilDookie Send a message via Skype™ to TheEvilDookie
Default Re: The term "gay". -ANGER- (Closed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thoughts of Warhol View Post
I hear it from the mouth of only ONE type of person. Literally. Probably more. But, I mainly hear it come from the mouths of jocks. If anyone has a say in this, please, go ahead. SAY IT!
I wasn't going to say anything until I read that one line right there. ^

Yeah, you could call me a jock. Yeah I use it the way you hate. But why care? Most likely over half of the teenagers in America use it to tell others that don't like something. Now back onto that line, the Preps, Emos, Jocks, Geeks/Nerds, and Normal people of my school use it. It's just something to get used to in life. If I got mad whenever someone called something "retarded" or "stupid" where it was used where it doesn't make literal sense, people would kill me.

... >_>

^ Anastasia-R ^
Current VPP: Palkia > Level 100: 6987
Old 01-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEvilDookie View Post
Preps, Emos, Jocks, Geeks/Nerds, and Normal people
That's why I'd despise an American school. Several stereotypes are missed out there. It feels like you have to be one of those things to fit in, otherwise you practically don't exist.

'Normal' people... seriously... you guys do that sort of thing? I'm normal, yet I don't fit into any of the categories typical of an American school. Everyone is normal! D< We just like different stuff. And we aren't tins of beans, so labels fail.

None of that was directed at you, Dookie, it was just my usual backlash to the whole label thing. xD;

Anyway, back on topic. Warhol, has anybody ever said to you, 'Please don't use that word, I find it offensive'? Because nobody has ever said that to me. I say worse, if I'm honest. Which I am. :D

Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 PM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: The term "gay". -ANGER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post

On-topic: I think it has been so overused nowadays that not many people care about it now, other than the homosexuals. As time passes and they are accepted into the society, that will change, too, and by then nobody will care.
A lot of homosexuals don't even care.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:49 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucario View Post
A lot of homosexuals don't even care.
That's like, the third time I have seen you make sense in this forum. Bravo, bravo.

My thoughts on this topic is... Well, it's just a word. "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me", as someone here has mentioned. Especially since gay is a word with multiple meanings.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 01-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Gay, queer, all words that mean the same thing; homosexual. Some even like the title. It's like a nickname.

Other sexualities have names, too. Heterosexuality, "strait". Bisexuality, "bi". Asexuality, "ace". Everything has a name and a nickname.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post
Gay, queer, all words that mean the same thing; homosexual. Some even like the title. It's like a nickname.

Other sexualities have names, too. Heterosexuality, "strait". Bisexuality, "bi". Asexuality, "ace". Everything has a name and a nickname.
Rofl, did you even read what he said?

Hi

Old 01-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
That's like, the third time I have seen you make sense in this forum. Bravo, bravo.

My thoughts on this topic is... Well, it's just a word. "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me", as someone here has mentioned. Especially since gay is a word with multiple meanings.
The irony, of course, is that words are much more powerful than physical forces. Think about it, the teenager's cognitive rebellion begins with words (music lyrics). Propaganda is nothing without words. People unite under a single word of "nationalism". Words convey powerful emotions in its connotative sense. It's because of this that the discussion is there in the first place. What I say "gay", very little people associate that with "happy". The term gay itself has a link to a powerful negative connotation in itself, which is why we use it specifically for something negative. It's because of this that we should take a look at this more closely than surface analysis, should we not?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:27 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
The irony, of course, is that words are much more powerful than physical forces. Think about it, the teenager's cognitive rebellion begins with words (music lyrics). Propaganda is nothing without words. People unite under a single word of "nationalism". Words convey powerful emotions in its connotative sense. It's because of this that the discussion is there in the first place. What I say "gay", very little people associate that with "happy". The term gay itself has a link to a powerful negative connotation in itself, which is why we use it specifically for something negative. It's because of this that we should take a look at this more closely than surface analysis, should we not?
That's an interesting point. Does the word gay in the way that it's used today associate a (conscious or subconscious) negative connotation to homosexuals? Or is it that there is already a negative connotation with homosexuals among a fair portion of society that the term is used the way it is now?

It's an intriguing theory, and I know I just repeated exactly what you said, but it got me thinking. Obviously this sort of situation will depend on the environment of an individual.

I do believe that the younger someone is introduced to a commonly used slang term, the more the slang version of the term will stick in their minds. So a small child who hears the word gay used as a personal attack is probably going to keep that definition in his or her mind for a long time, which will likely cause a negative image of homosexuals themselves in the long run.

Hi

Last edited by Fire Away; 01-30-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post
That's why I'd despise an American school. Several stereotypes are missed out there. It feels like you have to be one of those things to fit in, otherwise you practically don't exist.

'Normal' people... seriously... you guys do that sort of thing? I'm normal, yet I don't fit into any of the categories typical of an American school. Everyone is normal! D< We just like different stuff. And we aren't tins of beans, so labels fail.
Congratulations, TOMBI!
You have won a Charbok award!

Award Description: For showing overwhelming smartness that so many people fail to grasp.

I agree with you completely, though, I don't think it's an "American" thing. I have one of the most diverse schools in my state (Minnesota), and even we have "groups" or "cliques". The potheads, the jocks, the gangsta's, the wangsta's, the nerds, the losers (at least, that's my personal name for them), the egotisticals, and a few more that I can't remember. There are like, five people in the school that don't really fit into any one of them, which is sorta sad. People feel like they have to be one of these types of people to be liked, but look at me, look at karmachameleon; We're liked more than most people at our school. I have yet to hear anyone (besides my occasionally angry ex-girlfriend) say anything bad about either of us, and I hear people talking about other people negatively so much.

As far as the term "gay" is concerned (which I failed to even mention in my last post ) I think that people are reading too far into it, and a ton of things, these days. It doesn't matter, to be honest. Neither does the fact that Nintendo doesn't have a black main character, or that cell phones cause cancer, or anything like that. They're all outcomes of over-thinking and overanalyzing, which just leads to problems.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post
I agree with you completely, though, I don't think it's an "American" thing. I have one of the most diverse schools in my state (Minnesota), and even we have "groups" or "cliques". The potheads, the jocks, the gangsta's, the wangsta's, the nerds, the losers (at least, that's my personal name for them), the egotisticals, and a few more that I can't remember. There are like, five people in the school that don't really fit into any one of them, which is sorta sad. People feel like they have to be one of these types of people to be liked, but look at me, look at karmachameleon; We're liked more than most people at our school. I have yet to hear anyone (besides my occasionally angry ex-girlfriend) say anything bad about either of us, and I hear people talking about other people negatively so much.
Cliques are a youth culture phenomenon. I'm not exactly ready to look into it all that much, however, since I do believe I went cross-cliqued in my high school days.

Quote:
As far as the term "gay" is concerned (which I failed to even mention in my last post ) I think that people are reading too far into it, and a ton of things, these days. It doesn't matter, to be honest. Neither does the fact that Nintendo doesn't have a black main character, or that cell phones cause cancer, or anything like that. They're all outcomes of over-thinking and overanalyzing, which just leads to problems.
I don't think we're even close to the point of over-thinking things yet. Isn't it natural for us to examine why we use certain things in a certain way? If so, then how does this discussion deviate from that?

Oh, and it's not a good idea to at least know that cellphones can potentially cause cancer?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:53 AM
Lusitania Offline

Quote:
Try a black character, but on a more serious note.

Personally, gay has multiple meanings, and I, for one, think when children say it they don't make it so it means homosexual. Teenagers and pre-teens have literally re-invented the worg 'gay', transforming the original definition, 'Merry, Happy', to 'Homosexual', to 'Stupid, unintelligent, not understandable', and I think that we should learn to evolve with the english language. My reasoning for the way they say it is as follows:

The children just aren't educated about these types of things. Due to the heterosexual beliefs of the media, and the way two men kissing on TV is less appropriate than many of the seens on 'Two and a Half Men' is the way the media shoves the agenda on children. They just aren't informed enough, learning to shun them simply for their beliefs, which, as history shows, never leads to good results. If this continues on the level it is, and the teenagers abusing this offensive term grow into worse words such as queer, *****r, and other racial and sexual slurs, we will have a serious problem.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:14 AM
nickkk Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to nickkk Send a message via MSN to nickkk

Honestly, I got over it.
I still have pervs try to hit on me.
Its a great thing not having to deal with all those guys who only want to get in your pants.

Master Spritess
Old 01-31-2009, 02:28 AM
TheEvilDookie Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheEvilDookie Send a message via MSN to TheEvilDookie Send a message via Skype™ to TheEvilDookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post

None of that was directed at you, Dookie, it was just my usual backlash to the whole label thing. xD;

Anyway, back on topic. Warhol, has anybody ever said to you, 'Please don't use that word, I find it offensive'? Because nobody has ever said that to me. I say worse, if I'm honest. Which I am. :D
I just said that cause I couldn't think of any more. :P

^ Anastasia-R ^
Current VPP: Palkia > Level 100: 6987
Old 01-31-2009, 08:32 AM
LS Offline

Dude. Gay is now something too common to be stopped. You shouldn't try convincing us to stop saying it. You should take it up with all the red necks.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

Get over it.
People go through phases using terms like this all the time, you starting a rant on a pokemon forum won't do anything about it, I'd guess atleast 75% of teenages use the phrase gay for gods sake.