Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Powerman 6k Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Powerman 6k
Default Dead

Well. Yes. This is going to be a rant. So if you don't like the fact that I'm ranting, then don't SPAM my thread. And if your going to say "gay". Then you're just immature...

Here's a little quote from Lord Lucario. Just to start things off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucario View Post

Metallica was good... until the Black Album. Then they later went on to release St. Anger, which catapulted them to being the gayest band in the universe (until Cryptopsy released The Unspoken King). I still love me some Ride the Lightning though.

Unfortunately Megadeth sold out too.
Notice the picture and the bolded word. The word "gay" is perhaps the most hurtful, overused, NEGATIVE, CRUEL, and annoying word used to this day. I myself am bisexual, and when I hear that word every single day, it just...as Peter Griffin says...Grinds my gears. I hear it from the mouth of only ONE type of person. Literally. Probably more. But, I mainly hear it come from the mouths of jocks. If anyone has a say in this, please, go ahead. SAY IT!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:13 AM
SaMaster14 Offline

Send a message via AIM to SaMaster14
Default Re: The term "gay". -ANGER-

I myself am not gay or bisexual, but I agree with you, it is very derogatory. It is misused A LOT. I myself have even slipped and said something was so "gay" before, just because I hear my friends say it and I never thought much of it and that people would know I didn't mean the word, but its not true, it really can hurt people.

So yes, I agree with you that it should not be used to mean stupid or weird or bad, since it DOESNT MEAN those words.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Bryce Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Bryce

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thoughts of Warhol View Post

Oh, you've got to learn not to take anything Lord Lucario says to heart. He's the most incompetent individual on the forum.

But hey, I'm against everyone saying it too, but it's pretty much became the staple of our generation's use of the the word "bad". You can't change culture; people don't even realize what they are saying.

BRYCExKAT
Old 01-28-2009, 04:25 AM
Powerman 6k Offline
Master Trainer

I would have to agree with what your saying, Bryce. He seems stuck up ._. Your typical "Know-It-All" Anyway, yes, I can't change culture. But who can?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig

This is how I see it: the most common term how the word 'gay' is used, is offense, but it's just become another word. It's kind of like a curse word; everyone says it sometimes, but it just slips out!
It's not like your going to say: Oh that is so homosexual. I find myself using the term frequently acually... it's a bad habit really.

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Old 01-28-2009, 04:46 AM
Powerman 6k Offline
Master Trainer

Well, my girlfriend at times uses it. Then she apologizes, since she knows it makes me snap on occasion. And when I snap, then I stay angry...then we don't...I'm not going into detail. Anyway... I at times say it, but only when I'm talking WITH my gay friends, or talking about them. I don't use it as a negative word. Because that would make me a hypocrite.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:59 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Different words have many different meanings depending on the context.

Don't think about it too much. Language evolves a lot, and sometimes that evolution can be offensive to some.

Hi

Old 01-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4

Actually gay is nothing compared to ****** I try not to use that term because it's twice as offensive as gay to me but yeah you're right it's messed up to say it but sadly it will never stop being spoken so just ignore it because most people don't intend it in the normal way.
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai

Honestly, there are times that some people doesn't care for what are they saying, or let's say, does not think first before saying something. As for me, before I respond to some issues or something, I make sure that it won't hurt or affect each other unless if that person gets to my nerves, because I know what it feels to be affected by harsh words.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Loyal Arcanine Offline

Send a message via AIM to Loyal Arcanine

I don't see it as a problem really, I use it quite a lot myself. As FA said, language evolves and whether you like it or not, "gay" has gained a second definition in modern day language. Last time I checked, being gay in the original meaning of the word meant you were into people of the same sex as you, so how you want to relate that to a rock band, which doesn't even have a sex, I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assaundrell Yumerai View Post
Honestly, there are times that some people doesn't care for what are they saying, or let's say, does not think first before saying something. As for me, before I respond to some issues or something, I make sure that it won't hurt or affect each other unless if that person gets to my nerves, because I know what it feels to be affected by harsh words.
Yeah, you're so much better than other people.

I like how you make an exception for people who get on your nerves, as if it's justified to say something offensive to them. Is it?
Then maybe realize those people you talk about perhaps actually do think about what they say, but you get on their nerves. With your exception, that would make it justified.

"gengar is a fart" imsocorn (4:08:55): Is that your way of saying "and not a single **** was given that day" ?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Black Hawk Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

I use it jokingly and even around my homosexual friend. often too, but not directed at him. He knows I'm just playing and doesn't take offense. I enjoy a good rant using the words "gay" and "homosexual".

PiEaNdChIpS678 (10:48:49 PM): I found one
Mikey94028 (10:49:14 PM): is that
Mikey94028 (10:49:17 PM): who I think it is
husnainisme (10:49:25 PM): wailord
Mikey94028 (10:49:29 PM): o
Mikey94028 (10:49:34 PM): I thought it was dead
Old 01-28-2009, 11:14 AM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

I love how you included the picture. That's awesome.

I have nothing against gay people, but I DO have something against political correctness and hypersensitivity.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:57 AM
WatchMeBeQuieter Offline
Elite Trainer

I never say "That's so gay." Rather, I say "That's rather homosexual!" That gets lots of laughs, because it makes people realize that declaring inanimate objects being sexually oriented makes no sense at all.

Hork-Bajir . . . . Taxxon
Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thoughts of Warhol View Post
Well. Yes. This is going to be a rant. So if you don't like the fact that I'm ranting, then don't SPAM my thread. And if your going to say "gay". Then you're just immature...

Notice the picture and the bolded word. The word "gay" is perhaps the most hurtful, overused, NEGATIVE, CRUEL, and annoying word used to this day. I myself am bisexual, and when I hear that word every single day, it just...as Peter Griffin says...Grinds my gears. I hear it from the mouth of only ONE type of person. Literally. Probably more. But, I mainly hear it come from the mouths of jocks. If anyone has a say in this, please, go ahead. SAY IT!
Lord Lucario hates gay people anyway (or the lifestyle, or whatever the hell crap he believes), so I'd expect that out of him.

Honestly, only ignorant people use it as an insult. I have much more creative things to say when I mean something sucks.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

"Gay" is just a word. It now has three well-known meanings:

-Gay can be referred to as happy or joyful. Something along those lines. This is the first and "true" definition of the word.
-Gay can be used as slang for someone who is homosexual.
-Gay can be used to describe someone or something (slang term) "That's so gay", "You're gay", ect.

The use of words will evolve over time, it's just a matter of dealing with it. "Gay" didn't start off pertaining to homosexuals.