Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Teo Offline

Send a message via AIM to Teo Send a message via MSN to Teo
Default Re: Death Penalty

It's true that human life is suppose to be valued and many of you still do value those peoples lives who've gone and murdered others. When they honestly had no consideration for those they killed in the first place.

Not everybody thinks the same way. There are always those who know what they're doing and couldn't careless about the consequences of their actions and proceed with taking another persons life. Just because some one may find life valuable doesn't mean another person will.

Hitting on another note that was brought up earlier in this thread about people wanting to be in prison. There are people like that. Once you've been in there a certain amount of time you've become accustomed to being that way and become socially awkward upon release. So they will commit a crime again just to go back because life in society is too much for them to handle.

Now to the main question at hand. Should we use the Death Penalty? To an extent yes, it's something that has always been around and is the ultimate price one must pay for going against societies rules. Each country has it's own way of handling these things. Some take swift actions with out looking back while others have to go through a trial.

There are both positives and negatives about the later. Correcting a past judgment or accidentally sending an innocent person to their death. It's just something we have to live with really, we're only human and we do make mistakes. Besides, the judicial system in the US has quite the lot of loop holes that some one who was given the death sentence could spend YEARS in court before they are actually put on death row.

We are given only one life and what we do with it is up to us. So if we do something that is deemed to be wrong in societies eyes. Then by all means we should suffer for our actions, even if it does mean death. I know killing some one for them killing another doesn't bring that person back, but their actions should always be punished.

Our legal systems just aren't perfect and they never will be perfect. We have no true way to gauge what we should do when it comes to killing another person. That's why it goes by a person to person case. For the most part we only have a standard of what we should do. Even then, it all comes back to us and our own errors to properly judge things.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:47 AM
Caraa Offline

Send a message via AIM to Caraa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synester View Post
You think they are garbage, I doubt their family's do. And they don't belong to you at all.
Let me tell you a story:

My friend's father was/is a rapist. Nobody knew because he just didn't seem like that type of guy. But when I was homestaying with her sometime back, he was caught in the act in their basement with a kid that lived down the street. He didn't touch my friend, me, or any other friends. I am not even sure if he touched anyone else. But she thinks that her father is trash. Her mother thinks that her father is trash. Now he's in jail, with parole. Our government is effed up, to say the least. It pisses me off that these things happen.

But, I do agree with you in a way. In some scenarios, this may not be the case. Say it was murder in self-defense. Then yeah, of course their families aren't going to call them garbage. But in this case, hell yeah he's garbage! He raped an elementary student, and he gets jailtime and parole! Not only that, but 7 years ago, someone killed my parents and there are still no leads and it has been put aside. There is a murderer out there, and I want them dead. If I found out that a sibling of mine killed someone, I'd be appalled. I think any family member would.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4

Well I have a cousin who had a little boy and eventually him and his girlfriend broke up and she got with another guy and after a few years my cousins little boy was found dead and after many months of investigating and finding out that his x girlfriends new boyfriend had already been reported of child abuse he was eventually caught and arrested for the murder of my little nephew now I believe completely that her new boyfriend should be put to death seems how he had already abused a child and now he murdered one why should he get another chance to endanger or kill another poor innocent kid after he already had his chance? I personally would murder him if I was given the oppurtunity just to prevent other kids and people in general from him because there lives matter and after him doing what he did more than once he deserves to die so tell me why a murderer deserves yet another chance after getting one?
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Old 02-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

My uncle served as a prosecutor, to defend some death row prisoners, he told of how horrendous it was and how everyone in the vicinity seemed to despair.

I think that the death penalty in America should be restricted to a few states, and those few states should only contain maximum security prisoners, so the worst criminals should be put there and thence face the death penalty.

Other than that, I don't know much.

The Brood is growing!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
I think that the death penalty has its own uses, but the act of the death penalty is an important dimension to consider, which is the possibility of innocents being involved in the process.

To be honest, it seems more to me as a difference in weighting in how likely someone can be framed for crimes and how much of a deterrent this is in practice that should determine whether or not the death penalty should be used. Of course, this is different in different places, countries, etc. My opinion is that this varies between countries. If I recall, Singapore has a death penalty (you can do a wikipedia search to easily find that information), and it has been at least relatively effective in its enforcement of prohibition. Whether or not this can be adopted to different cultures and places, such as the US, really I don't have any idea of, in this aspect of things.

There is also an issue that misuse and abuse can occur with capital punishment, and this adds an extra dimension that rarely ever is considered either.

On a personal note, I do think that capital punishment is irreversible. At least non-fatal methods of punishment is reversible for those wrongfully convicted.
We give death penalty for drug trafficking too. Yes, it's a pretty effective deterrent, especially for stuff like drugs. You have to be one hell of a desperado to want to risk death just to smuggle drugs.

And I have a strange feeling that the deterrent that the death penalty provides is not the only solution. Probably because it's inculcated into most people in the society from young that violence is never the answer to solve problems. I remember getting a sentence drilled into my head since young: "If someone punches you and you hit them back, both of you are in the wrong." Meh.

That, and we don't use some stupid pansy lethal injection to execute prisoners. We do hanging. :P Painful, yes, and relatively fast. So the guy doesn't suffer for long.

@stormdancer: Prosecution defending death row prisoners? Huh? Are you sure?

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 02-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Death penalty(in my opinion) should be only used in some cases, where its a crime of its kind, like terrorist attacks, or something very serious. Besides, allowing the heads (Like Governors, Presidents) being allowed to give Pardons is unconstitutional, in my opinion. Constitutionally; the courts are there to handle the justice system, while the political heads are there to handle administrative etc etc stuff. Overruling court orders at their own will kind of goes against the court system.

On one side we have Courts who check all the evidence legally, in an almost unbiased manner, and they're considering all factors very very carefully, since its their JOB. On the other side- we have people who can just toss a coin to decide whether they pardon the person or not.

@ Starki: Lol..Singapore's scary. When I heard the number of death penalties, I got frightened...no wonder its such a law abiding country. =3 I mean, I'm scared to walk on the street at NYC alone, but Singapore..I could even walk at Three A.M safely. O.O

Last edited by Snow Fairy Sugar; 02-03-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Typo you little...
Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Misa Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post
@ Starki: Lol..Singapore's scary. When I heard the number of death penalties, I for frightened...no wonder its such a law abiding country. =3 I mean, I'm scared to walk on the street at NYC alone, but Singapore..I could even walk at Three A.M safely. O.O[/COLOR][/FONT]
I remember an incident before when i went to singapore. There was no one (YES NO ONE) who were dealing drugs or gang-related incidents when I decided to just walk outside in singapore.

Personally, I think that the death penalty applies only when the criminal is globally "wanted", meaning that the felony that the criminal committed is serious. Other than that, I don't see any reason for a death penalty, especially if you can put them in jail for life.

Sig made by me <3
DS Friend code: 0388 0422 8434
Wii friend code:

I'm up for any battles, but I also do uber battles as well, whether it be singles or doubles.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post
I remember an incident before when i went to singapore. There was no one (YES NO ONE) who were dealing drugs or gang-related incidents when I decided to just walk outside in singapore.

Personally, I think that the death penalty applies only when the criminal is globally "wanted", meaning that the felony that the criminal committed is serious. Other than that, I don't see any reason for a death penalty, especially if you can put them in jail for life.
Possibly due to the death sentence. Like I said, you have to be real desperate to smuggle drugs in Singapore. That and old-school gang style fights tend to attract too much attention and get everyone into trouble.

We are peaceful. :D

And some hardened criminals don't care about getting life, but they're scared to hell of the death sentence. If they get life they get to chill in prison. Dying is a different matter though.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Black Hawk Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I think if you should have the option of the death penalty or having to spend your life in prison. Then, whatever the person picks you secretly give them the opposite just to get them angry! Because I would actually prefer the death penalty over being in jail for my whole life. I would probably get butt raped 9,000+ times.
wouldn't you like that?

I'd pick Life sentence so long as I have a chance at parole, but If I have 9,000+ horny male prison murderers than inject me up, BABY!

PiEaNdChIpS678 (10:48:49 PM): I found one
Mikey94028 (10:49:14 PM): is that
Mikey94028 (10:49:17 PM): who I think it is
husnainisme (10:49:25 PM): wailord
Mikey94028 (10:49:29 PM): o
Mikey94028 (10:49:34 PM): I thought it was dead
Old 02-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post
Death penalty(in my opinion) should be only used in some cases, where its a crime of its kind, like terrorist attacks, or something very serious. Besides, allowing the heads (Like Governors, Presidents) being allowed to give Pardons is unconstitutional, in my opinion.
Don't know about that first part, but thank GOD someone agrees with me when it comes to the pardons!

Anytime there is murder, and we have enough evidence that the accused murderer murdered, then inject him/her. A life for a life. Fair's fair.

-kaboom-
Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo View Post
We are given only one life and what we do with it is up to us.
That's only if reincarnation doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Valentine_4 View Post
Well I have a cousin who had a little boy and eventually him and his girlfriend broke up and she got with another guy and after a few years my cousins little boy was found dead and after many months of investigating and finding out that his x girlfriends new boyfriend had already been reported of child abuse he was eventually caught and arrested for the murder of my little nephew now I believe completely that her new boyfriend should be put to death seems how he had already abused a child and now he murdered one why should he get another chance to endanger or kill another poor innocent kid after he already had his chance? I personally would murder him if I was given the oppurtunity just to prevent other kids and people in general from him because there lives matter and after him doing what he did more than once he deserves to die so tell me why a murderer deserves yet another chance after getting one?
If he's contained in prison properly, he won't have another chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post
Don't know about that first part, but thank GOD someone agrees with me when it comes to the pardons!

Anytime there is murder, and we have enough evidence that the accused murderer murdered, then inject him/her. A life for a life. Fair's fair.

-kaboom-
Two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Rohypnol Offline

Send a message via AIM to Rohypnol

I used to support the death penalty in certain circumstances until recently. I think keeping murderers, rapists and the like locked up in a cement cell for the rest of their miserable lives is a more suitable punishment.

DoIPutNameHere: cradily, bad game really f***** up w/o storm drain, horrible playing, i give you a 0/10, please try harder next time
Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrptr101 View Post
I used to support the death penalty in certain circumstances until recently. I think keeping murderers, rapists and the like locked up in a cement cell for the rest of their miserable lives is a more suitable punishment.
The only problem is some prisons are like 5 star hotels, and actually enjoyable for some.

I think we need to downgrade the prisons, and spend money on more important things, and only buy them neccecities.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Light_Sky Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Light_Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post

-kaboom-
But, life isn't fair. Haven't you ever heard that?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4

Well the guy is only locked up for 5 years after murder and previous child abuse charges which just makes total sense because killing someone is only worth 5 years of jail time how could I forget I promise that if he gets out and does something like that to anyone in my family again I will personally hunt him down and give him the justice that he deserves.
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."