Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:37 AM
Synester Offline

Send a message via AIM to Synester
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucario View Post
We'd still have to pay to house them, feed them, clothe them ect. They're garbage. My garbage isn't entitled to any rights; I throw it away. Why should they be treated any differently?
You think they are garbage, I doubt their family's do. And they don't belong to you at all.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 AM
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4

I'm sure that if any of you had a friend or family member killed you would be very pissed and would want the person doing it dead I know I would if they were killed for absolutely no reason. Who cares if we have to stoop to their levels people who kill at least 3 people should be killed plain and simple why should they get to live a full life after ending 3 others? I sort of agree that the ones who are in prison for life should be treated at least a lot crappier because you obviously have hurt many people more than they could ever hurt you so you deserve punishment even if death has to be the option.
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 AM
hobos r pro Offline
Experienced Trainer

if a person murders another person and then we punish them by killing them,
doesn't that make us just as bad as the murderers.
sure,we should punish them but we cant just kill them,
its unjust. Sure, they should be punished severely but not that badly
If we killed them,are we any better then they are?
that's pure hypocrisy......
still.....taking someone elses life is a horrible, horrible thing to do.
(BTW i got taht from a book i read )
Old 01-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Josh Offline

Send a message via MSN to Josh

I'm with Hobos, I think that tooth for tooth, life for life is wrong. I mean, obviously they need punishment, but I think confinement to gaol and the guilt for life is kind of enough.

I also bring your attention to one of the last hangings in Australia for murder - Turns out the guy didn't do it. What happens then? We don't have Dragonballs/time machines/super powers to revive the people who turn out to be innocent.

Intolerance
Current Chapter: Eighteen

URPG
Old 01-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
I'm with Hobos, I think that tooth for tooth, life for life is wrong. I mean, obviously they need punishment, but I think confinement to gaol and the guilt for life is kind of enough.

I also bring your attention to one of the last hangings in Australia for murder - Turns out the guy didn't do it. What happens then? We don't have Dragonballs/time machines/super powers to revive the people who turn out to be innocent.
That's what your judicial system is aiming towards: To do their best to ensure that the prisoner is truly guilty before he is sent to death row.

While death sentence for murder/rape is quite honestly up in the air for me, I honestly believe that drug traffickers should get the death sentence. These are the guys that ruin HUNDREDS of lives and they make druggies, who get desperate because of these traffickers' f***otry and up the crime rate even further. Hell, they help to widen the rich-poor gap. I don't see many middle or high class people taking drugs. The people who these traffickers ruin and extort money from are the people that need it the most. That's what makes them so despicable. To hell with them. The most murders by a single murderer is about twenty. Drug traffickers send hundreds of people to a fate worse than death.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 01-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Josh Offline

Send a message via MSN to Josh

Personally, I don't think it's the drug dealer's fault if the druggies are stupid enough to get themselves into a situation where they willingly take drugs.

Intolerance
Current Chapter: Eighteen

URPG
Old 01-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Personally, I don't think it's the drug dealer's fault if the druggies are stupid enough to get themselves into a situation where they willingly take drugs.
Just because people are stupid enough to take drugs doesn't mean you have to totally ruin them in the process. :/ Some people don't have much of a choice anyway. Ever heard of coercion? "Buy my drugs or I'll make sure your family suffers" kinda stuff.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Valentine_4 View Post
I'm sure that if any of you had a friend or family member killed you would be very pissed and would want the person doing it dead I know I would if they were killed for absolutely no reason. Who cares if we have to stoop to their levels people who kill at least 3 people should be killed plain and simple why should they get to live a full life after ending 3 others? I sort of agree that the ones who are in prison for life should be treated at least a lot crappier because you obviously have hurt many people more than they could ever hurt you so you deserve punishment even if death has to be the option.
Sure, I'd be pissed. But I wouldn't want to end their life. Otherwise we'll be causing the same misery we feel to the family of the murderer.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:18 PM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synester View Post
You think they are garbage, I doubt their family's do. And they don't belong to you at all.
If a member of my family murdered an innocent person, rape a child, or something to that extent, I'd consider them garbage.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Synester Offline

Send a message via AIM to Synester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucario View Post
If a member of my family murdered an innocent person, rape a child, or something to that extent, I'd consider them garbage.
But thats just you, not everyone. My aunt was drunk driving, killed 2 people is in prision(She gets out next month^^) and no one in are family thought she was garbage, she just made a mistake, she didn't want to kill those people, and yes she shouldn't have been driving drunk, but we still treat her the same. So, not everyone shares the same opinion with you.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:32 AM
spid3r Offline
Banned

I have no respect for people that drive drunk. None. It really is one of the most stupid and unnecessary things a person can do. There's hardly anything more reckless than drunk driving, short of outright violent crimes. They're of course better off killing themselves in the process, but you can't have everything in this world. But, hey that's another topic.

I still don't see why you guys would support a rapist or murderer. I mean, giving them a prison sentence is nothing. It's just a slap on the wrist for the convicts. It's like punching a kid in school and being sent to detention, it's the same thing. For the people who are against the death penalty. Do you think we should have left Saddam Husain alive?
Old 01-23-2009, 02:10 AM
White_Rabbit Offline

Send a message via AIM to White_Rabbit

The death penalty hurts......trust me, I know.

try Florida, Texas, Montana, and Utah (mormons are brutal)

It's kinda a pass-time for me, really.

Yeah......I believe that we should keep the death penalty.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:33 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

I think that the death penalty has its own uses, but the act of the death penalty is an important dimension to consider, which is the possibility of innocents being involved in the process.

To be honest, it seems more to me as a difference in weighting in how likely someone can be framed for crimes and how much of a deterrent this is in practice that should determine whether or not the death penalty should be used. Of course, this is different in different places, countries, etc. My opinion is that this varies between countries. If I recall, Singapore has a death penalty (you can do a wikipedia search to easily find that information), and it has been at least relatively effective in its enforcement of prohibition. Whether or not this can be adopted to different cultures and places, such as the US, really I don't have any idea of, in this aspect of things.

There is also an issue that misuse and abuse can occur with capital punishment, and this adds an extra dimension that rarely ever is considered either.

On a personal note, I do think that capital punishment is irreversible. At least non-fatal methods of punishment is reversible for those wrongfully convicted.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:44 AM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

Quote:
But thats just you, not everyone. My aunt was drunk driving, killed 2 people is in prision(She gets out next month^^) and no one in are family thought she was garbage, she just made a mistake, she didn't want to kill those people, and yes she shouldn't have been driving drunk, but we still treat her the same. So, not everyone shares the same opinion with you.
Drunk driving isn't the same as murder or rape.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Send a message via AIM to Seawolf

Quote:
That's different. Your aunt didn't kill those people intentionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid3r View Post
I still don't see why you guys would support a rapist or murderer. I mean, giving them a prison sentence is nothing. It's just a slap on the wrist for the convicts. It's like punching a kid in school and being sent to detention, it's the same thing. For the people who are against the death penalty. Do you think we should have left Saddam Husain alive?
Thank you.