Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKawaii View Post

Of course not, I think that people should be sentenced appropriately to their crime. I think it'd be pretty stupid if people who were shoplifting got capital punishment. o_o
which is really the point, does someone who murders deserve the same ?

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreal Shadow Tracker View Post
please dont go off the topic

the fact is there is a direct link between death penalty and lower crime rates in many other countries. The flaw in our system is that two people can do the same thing and get two different punishments. Consistancey is the key here.
Oh? Can you kindly do me a favor and explain how am I going off topic? You're a teacher, aren't you? Please do explain. :]

And....consistency? Why do we have human Judges that decide the sentence, and not robots?

The online definiton of "Judge" says...

1: to form an opinion about through careful weighing of evidence and testing of premises
2: to sit in judgment on : try
3: to determine or pronounce after inquiry and deliberation

Doesn't this contradict your idea of consistency?

@ iKawaii: Mhmm, thats why we have judges, don't we? =P
Old 02-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post
Oh? Can you kindly do me a favor and explain how am I going off topic? You're a teacher, aren't you? Please do explain. :]

And....consistency? Why do we have human Judges that decide the sentence, and not robots?

The online definiton of "Judge" says...

1: to form an opinion about through careful weighing of evidence and testing of premises
2: to sit in judgment on : try
3: to determine or pronounce after inquiry and deliberation

Doesn't this contradict your idea of consistency?

your off the topic because this isnt a thread about types of death or ways to kill, or even a listing of all the froms of murder. its pretty simple are you for or against the death penalty? and should it be in every state or none. I think its best we stick to just that dont you ?

What other judges are there? this has nothing to do with god, to be judged by a group of your peers..pardon my spelling...is best way that we can do it, dispite its flaws. Computers ? you think it would be more fair for computers to decide the fate of a person. The problem with a computer doing it is that they were created by human, there for there judgement is only as good as the person who gave it to them.

the idea with consistency is that, if two men both murder someone why does one get life and the other get the death sentence? Its because we are not consistant, people feel bad for someone they will give them less time. If both men were given the death sentence its a different story. It has to be an all or nothing deal.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4

Quote:
Maybe you should spend some time reading about the budgets? They've already wasted Five-Trillion-that-could-better-be-used-elsewhere. War spending apparently seems to have gotten top priority over even some of the operating deficits of the country.

Secondly...murder's not always murder. Why do people see murder in One-Dimensional? Lemme list out the different possible kinds of "murder". And don't jump at me on informality, I'll admit that I don't know that much about the law, so I'm listing and simplifying from the top of my head.

1) Organized murder (Gangland style).
2) Revenge attempt.
3) Honor killing. (Read- acts against muslim [in particular] and eastern immigrant girls who are forced to marry, but if they refuse...)
4) Murder due to desperation.
5) War crimes.
6) Murder preceded by previous crime. Can/Cannot be always intentioned. (Rape/robbery/assault)
7) Murder with on-the-spur hormonal effect.
8) Organized murder (Individually).
9) Murder on some kind of illusion/mania. (Hallucinogenic, Alcoholic..)
10) Murder due to negligence. (I'm classing all, medical, driving...)
11) Murder in an attempt of a self defence act.

...To name a few. I'd name more that I think of when I remember, but for now...do you believe all the crimes deserve the death penalty?

Oh and the argument that death penalty can be used as a crime deterrent is somewhat...misguided.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/dete...r-murder-rates

Deterrence: States Without the Death Penalty Have Had Consistently Lower Murder Rates

Murder rates are from the FBI's "Crime in the United States" and are per 100,000 population.
I don't understand how you are trying to say that murder isn't always murder. If you killed someone regardless of the reason you still killed them it doesn't matter if you're mental,high,drunk,killing for revenge the fact is you killed them regardless. Also like I said if you have killed more than one time unless you have great proof of it being self defense or you were defending someone else then yes you should die regardless. I don't care if you were drunk,high,mental,etc. if you were the first 2 then that's your fault for doing them and if you're mental then you should have been in a mental place after the first time.
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Quote:
your off the topic because this isnt a thread about types of death or ways to kill, or even a listing of all the froms of murder. its pretty simple are you for or against the death penalty? and should it be in every state or none. I think its best we stick to just that dont you ?

What other judges are there? this has nothing to do with god, to be judged by a group of your peers..pardon my spelling...is best way that we can do it, dispite its flaws. Computers ? you think it would be more fair for computers to decide the fate of a person. The problem with a computer doing it is that they were created by human, there for there judgement is only as good as the person who gave it to them.

the idea with consistency is that, if two men both murder someone why does one get life and the other get the death sentence? Its because we are not consistant, people feel bad for someone they will give them less time. If both men were given the death sentence its a different story. It has to be an all or nothing deal.
You didn't seem to have understood anything what I said...

1] The list I..listed was the different kinds of murder under which someone could be convicted. What I'm asking is which situations deserve death penalty, and which don't.

2] I never involved God into this, so...don't jump on that, will you? I'm talking about human judges.

Also, computers do not have judgement. They work on the basis of Binary, or to put it more accurately, Permutations and Combnations which has almost limited judgement.

3] So just for the sake of mathematical consistency/perfection, all those people deserve Death Sentence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If both men were given the death sentence its a different story. It has to be an all or nothing deal
That's what your sentence seems to suggest. Death Penalty for everyone, just for preservation of mathematical consistency.

EDIT: Vincent, translate that into English? I can't understand Russan/Chinese/whatever language you posted in, sorry. :x
Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_Sky View Post
Do you think there should be a Death Penalty? Say Texas kill more people than any other state in the country. So do you think the Death Penalty should be in all states or in none?
hmm i dont seem to see anything about types of murder on this list..seems to be off topic to me.

Vince is right, and speaking english...strange that i understand him. must be my education.

Vince your more then right murder is murder..no matter how you say it or how it was done, a drunk driver is as guilty as a gangbanger

Old 02-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Wisp Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to Wisp

Quote:

Indeed. I don't think they do a good job of it however. Around my area, there was a motorcyclist who was completely wasted, he wasn't paying any attention whatsoever to the road or people that were nearby. He followed a group of young people and rolled majority of them over killing two of the group. Pretty nasty crime, not the worst but, would you believe he only got 2 months community service for that? I'm telling you he did. I think this is a perfect example of Judges doing crappy sentencing.
I know and I accept that there is always going to be exceptions.For example, medical conditions, manslaughter etc. Apart from a few like those, murder is murder at the end of the day. I believe that the criminals should all face the same punishments. Obviously, some murders/crimes will suit certain punishments better than others. Like with the shoplifting, that doesn't deserve anything half as bad as murder. Despite it's still a crime.

dA × vpp × urpg × twitter × gamertag: IchigoTako × MALEFICENT♥
Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:

Indeed. I don't think they do a good job of it however. Around my area, there was a motorcyclist who was completely wasted, he wasn't paying any attention whatsoever to the road or people that were nearby. He followed a group of young people and rolled majority of them over killing two of the group. Pretty nasty crime, not the worst but, would you believe he only got 2 months community service for that? I'm telling you he did. I think this is a perfect example of Judges doing crappy sentencing.
I know and I accept that there is always going to be exceptions.For example, medical conditions, manslaughter etc. Apart from a few like those, murder is murder at the end of the day. I believe that the criminals should all face the same punishments. Obviously, some murders/crimes will suit certain punishments better than others. Like with the shoplifting, that doesn't deserve anything half as bad as murder. Despite it's still a crime.
this is what vince and i have been talking about.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Wisp Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
this is what vince and i have been talking about.
Sorry, I typed that out while you had your posts. ^^;

Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Quote:
hmm i dont seem to see anything about types of murder on this list..seems to be off topic to me.

Vince is right, and speaking english...strange that i understand him. must be my education.

Vince your more then right murder is murder..no matter how you say it or how it was done, a drunk driver is as guilty as a gangbanger
Types of murder = Listed here.

Not strange you don't understand him. Both of you must've learnt to speak the language of ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish from some island near Never Land. (Say hi to Peter Pan and Tinker Bell for me!)

Finally, what you and your classmate were talking about was...Death Penalty without pre-hand judgement and consideration of factors. What Wisp(iKawaii), my dear ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongans, is criticism of an apparently flawed judgement case. Something entirely different.
Quote:

Mhmm I think I read about that.

But..medical negligence being considered murder's too harsh, don't you think?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/murder

1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

Well...Shadow Tracker and Vince...I'm going to find a translator/dictionary to fnd the language you two are speaking in(Isn't it ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish?) and try to translate it properly, rather than try to guess what the hell you two're typing. Do wait for me, as this may take a while. :3
Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
TheKillingDog Offline
New Trainer

I don't think there should be a death penalty. that is too unfair.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Wisp Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:

1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

Well...Shadow Tracker and Vince...I'm going to find a translator/dictionary to fnd the language you two are speaking in(Isn't it ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish?) and try to translate it properly, rather than try to guess what the hell you two're typing. Do wait for me, as this may take a while. :3
Not really, unless it's something servere or a mental state. Also, taking medicion should be their responsibility or a carers. If they are cared for by someone and medication is down to the person looking after them, I completely agree with your statement, it would be harsh.
However, if its down to the individual to take their mediciation I think it's very much the same as someone who is as healthy as a horse. (Sorry, I needed to use that expression. xD)

Quote:
ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish
That sounds so cute, it had to be said. x3

Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4

Quote:

Not strange you don't understand him. Both of you must've learnt to speak the language of ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish from some island near Never Land. (Say hi to Peter Pan and Tinker Bell for me!)

Finally, what you and your classmate were talking about was...Death Penalty without pre-hand judgement and consideration of factors. What Wisp(iKawaii), my dear ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongans, is criticism of an apparently flawed judgement case. Something entirely different.

Why must you be so immature snowfairy? I'm just trying to have a debate and you just keep posting stupid things trying to make me sound like a 5 year old so please be mature and keep this a debate not a personal attack thread. The fact is he knew the risks of what could happen when he was drinking and he was willing to take that chance and he killed 2 people thus he deserves it in return.
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:

again would you please stay on the topic its really hard for people to talk about this while you are constanly going off the subject. I have reported you for these personal attacks, I feel that you are only wasting our time.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Wisp Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKillingDog View Post
I don't think there should be a death penalty. that is too unfair.
Hardly. If someone kills somebody, why shouldn't they be punished in the way they punished someone else?

@Shadow: Tbh, she isn't going off topic. ^^; Death penalty has everything to do with murder. It's kind of the reason behind it.

Last edited by Wisp; 02-23-2009 at 07:10 PM.