Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #271  
Old 02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Judge Dredd's Avatar
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gold 3438-5902-8014
Posts: 33,107
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKawaii View Post


Of course not, I think that people should be sentenced appropriately to their crime. I think it'd be pretty stupid if people who were shoplifting got capital punishment. o_o
which is really the point, does someone who murders deserve the same ?
__________________
VPP

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar's Avatar
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Land of the Blue Roses
Posts: 5,865
Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreal Shadow Tracker View Post
please dont go off the topic

the fact is there is a direct link between death penalty and lower crime rates in many other countries. The flaw in our system is that two people can do the same thing and get two different punishments. Consistancey is the key here.
Oh? Can you kindly do me a favor and explain how am I going off topic? You're a teacher, aren't you? Please do explain. :]

And....consistency? Why do we have human Judges that decide the sentence, and not robots?

The online definiton of "Judge" says...

1: to form an opinion about through careful weighing of evidence and testing of premises
2: to sit in judgment on : try
3: to determine or pronounce after inquiry and deliberation


Doesn't this contradict your idea of consistency?

@ iKawaii: Mhmm, thats why we have judges, don't we? =P
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 02-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Judge Dredd's Avatar
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gold 3438-5902-8014
Posts: 33,107
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post
Oh? Can you kindly do me a favor and explain how am I going off topic? You're a teacher, aren't you? Please do explain. :]

And....consistency? Why do we have human Judges that decide the sentence, and not robots?

The online definiton of "Judge" says...

1: to form an opinion about through careful weighing of evidence and testing of premises
2: to sit in judgment on : try
3: to determine or pronounce after inquiry and deliberation


Doesn't this contradict your idea of consistency?

@ iKawaii: Mhmm, thats why we have judges, don't we? =P
your off the topic because this isnt a thread about types of death or ways to kill, or even a listing of all the froms of murder. its pretty simple are you for or against the death penalty? and should it be in every state or none. I think its best we stick to just that dont you ?

What other judges are there? this has nothing to do with god, to be judged by a group of your peers..pardon my spelling...is best way that we can do it, dispite its flaws. Computers ? you think it would be more fair for computers to decide the fate of a person. The problem with a computer doing it is that they were created by human, there for there judgement is only as good as the person who gave it to them.

the idea with consistency is that, if two men both murder someone why does one get life and the other get the death sentence? Its because we are not consistant, people feel bad for someone they will give them less time. If both men were given the death sentence its a different story. It has to be an all or nothing deal.
__________________
VPP

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 02-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Vincent_Valentine_4's Avatar
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Federal Way,WA
Posts: 3,153
Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post
Maybe you should spend some time reading about the budgets? They've already wasted Five-Trillion-that-could-better-be-used-elsewhere. War spending apparently seems to have gotten top priority over even some of the operating deficits of the country.

Secondly...murder's not always murder. Why do people see murder in One-Dimensional? Lemme list out the different possible kinds of "murder". And don't jump at me on informality, I'll admit that I don't know that much about the law, so I'm listing and simplifying from the top of my head.

1) Organized murder (Gangland style).
2) Revenge attempt.
3) Honor killing. (Read- acts against muslim [in particular] and eastern immigrant girls who are forced to marry, but if they refuse...)
4) Murder due to desperation.
5) War crimes.
6) Murder preceded by previous crime. Can/Cannot be always intentioned. (Rape/robbery/assault)
7) Murder with on-the-spur hormonal effect.
8) Organized murder (Individually).
9) Murder on some kind of illusion/mania. (Hallucinogenic, Alcoholic..)
10) Murder due to negligence. (I'm classing all, medical, driving...)
11) Murder in an attempt of a self defence act.

...To name a few. I'd name more that I think of when I remember, but for now...do you believe all the crimes deserve the death penalty?

Oh and the argument that death penalty can be used as a crime deterrent is somewhat...misguided.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/dete...r-murder-rates

Deterrence: States Without the Death Penalty Have Had Consistently Lower Murder Rates


Murder rates are from the FBI's "Crime in the United States" and are per 100,000 population.
I don't understand how you are trying to say that murder isn't always murder. If you killed someone regardless of the reason you still killed them it doesn't matter if you're mental,high,drunk,killing for revenge the fact is you killed them regardless. Also like I said if you have killed more than one time unless you have great proof of it being self defense or you were defending someone else then yes you should die regardless. I don't care if you were drunk,high,mental,etc. if you were the first 2 then that's your fault for doing them and if you're mental then you should have been in a mental place after the first time.
__________________
Fc:1332-5847-5462
http://www.perfectworld.com.
My current Character is ItzPaine
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar's Avatar
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Land of the Blue Roses
Posts: 5,865
Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreal Shadow Tracker View Post
your off the topic because this isnt a thread about types of death or ways to kill, or even a listing of all the froms of murder. its pretty simple are you for or against the death penalty? and should it be in every state or none. I think its best we stick to just that dont you ?

What other judges are there? this has nothing to do with god, to be judged by a group of your peers..pardon my spelling...is best way that we can do it, dispite its flaws. Computers ? you think it would be more fair for computers to decide the fate of a person. The problem with a computer doing it is that they were created by human, there for there judgement is only as good as the person who gave it to them.

the idea with consistency is that, if two men both murder someone why does one get life and the other get the death sentence? Its because we are not consistant, people feel bad for someone they will give them less time. If both men were given the death sentence its a different story. It has to be an all or nothing deal.
You didn't seem to have understood anything what I said...

1] The list I..listed was the different kinds of murder under which someone could be convicted. What I'm asking is which situations deserve death penalty, and which don't.

2] I never involved God into this, so...don't jump on that, will you? I'm talking about human judges.

Also, computers do not have judgement. They work on the basis of Binary, or to put it more accurately, Permutations and Combnations which has almost limited judgement.

3] So just for the sake of mathematical consistency/perfection, all those people deserve Death Sentence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If both men were given the death sentence its a different story. It has to be an all or nothing deal
That's what your sentence seems to suggest. Death Penalty for everyone, just for preservation of mathematical consistency.

EDIT: Vincent, translate that into English? I can't understand Russan/Chinese/whatever language you posted in, sorry. :x
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Judge Dredd's Avatar
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gold 3438-5902-8014
Posts: 33,107
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_Sky View Post
Do you think there should be a Death Penalty? Say Texas kill more people than any other state in the country. So do you think the Death Penalty should be in all states or in none?
hmm i dont seem to see anything about types of murder on this list..seems to be off topic to me.

Vince is right, and speaking english...strange that i understand him. must be my education.

Vince your more then right murder is murder..no matter how you say it or how it was done, a drunk driver is as guilty as a gangbanger
__________________
VPP

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Wisp's Avatar
Wisp Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In my bedroom, with my xbox :3
Posts: 1,278
Send a message via MSN to Wisp
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post


@ iKawaii: Mhmm, thats why we have judges, don't we? =P
Indeed. I don't think they do a good job of it however. Around my area, there was a motorcyclist who was completely wasted, he wasn't paying any attention whatsoever to the road or people that were nearby. He followed a group of young people and rolled majority of them over killing two of the group. Pretty nasty crime, not the worst but, would you believe he only got 2 months community service for that? I'm telling you he did. I think this is a perfect example of Judges doing crappy sentencing.
I know and I accept that there is always going to be exceptions.For example, medical conditions, manslaughter etc. Apart from a few like those, murder is murder at the end of the day. I believe that the criminals should all face the same punishments. Obviously, some murders/crimes will suit certain punishments better than others. Like with the shoplifting, that doesn't deserve anything half as bad as murder. Despite it's still a crime.
__________________


dA × vpp × urpg × twitter × gamertag: IchigoTako × MALEFICENT♥
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Judge Dredd's Avatar
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gold 3438-5902-8014
Posts: 33,107
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKawaii View Post


Indeed. I don't think they do a good job of it however. Around my area, there was a motorcyclist who was completely wasted, he wasn't paying any attention whatsoever to the road or people that were nearby. He followed a group of young people and rolled majority of them over killing two of the group. Pretty nasty crime, not the worst but, would you believe he only got 2 months community service for that? I'm telling you he did. I think this is a perfect example of Judges doing crappy sentencing.
I know and I accept that there is always going to be exceptions.For example, medical conditions, manslaughter etc. Apart from a few like those, murder is murder at the end of the day. I believe that the criminals should all face the same punishments. Obviously, some murders/crimes will suit certain punishments better than others. Like with the shoplifting, that doesn't deserve anything half as bad as murder. Despite it's still a crime.
this is what vince and i have been talking about.
__________________
VPP

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Wisp's Avatar
Wisp Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In my bedroom, with my xbox :3
Posts: 1,278
Send a message via MSN to Wisp
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreal Shadow Tracker View Post
this is what vince and i have been talking about.
Sorry, I typed that out while you had your posts. ^^;
__________________


dA × vpp × urpg × twitter × gamertag: IchigoTako × MALEFICENT♥
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar's Avatar
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Land of the Blue Roses
Posts: 5,865
Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreal Shadow Tracker View Post
hmm i dont seem to see anything about types of murder on this list..seems to be off topic to me.

Vince is right, and speaking english...strange that i understand him. must be my education.

Vince your more then right murder is murder..no matter how you say it or how it was done, a drunk driver is as guilty as a gangbanger
Types of murder = Listed here.

Not strange you don't understand him. Both of you must've learnt to speak the language of ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish from some island near Never Land. (Say hi to Peter Pan and Tinker Bell for me!)

Finally, what you and your classmate were talking about was...Death Penalty without pre-hand judgement and consideration of factors. What Wisp(iKawaii), my dear ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongans, is criticism of an apparently flawed judgement case. Something entirely different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKawaii View Post


Indeed. I don't think they do a good job of it however. Around my area, there was a motorcyclist who was completely wasted, he wasn't paying any attention whatsoever to the road or people that were nearby. He followed a group of young people and rolled majority of them over killing two of the group. Pretty nasty crime, not the worst but, would you believe he only got 2 months community service for that? I'm telling you he did. I think this is a perfect example of Judges doing crappy sentencing.
I know and I accept that there is always going to be exceptions.For example, medical conditions, manslaughter etc. Apart from a few like those, murder is murder at the end of the day. I believe that the criminals should all face the same punishments. Obviously, some murders/crimes will suit certain punishments better than others. Like with the shoplifting, that doesn't deserve anything half as bad as murder. Despite it's still a crime.
Mhmm I think I read about that.

But..medical negligence being considered murder's too harsh, don't you think?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/murder

1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

Well...Shadow Tracker and Vince...I'm going to find a translator/dictionary to fnd the language you two are speaking in(Isn't it ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish?) and try to translate it properly, rather than try to guess what the hell you two're typing. Do wait for me, as this may take a while. :3
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #281  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
TheKillingDog Offline
New Trainer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Death Penalty

I don't think there should be a death penalty. that is too unfair.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Wisp's Avatar
Wisp Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In my bedroom, with my xbox :3
Posts: 1,278
Send a message via MSN to Wisp
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post


Mhmm I think I read about that.

But..medical negligence being considered murder's too harsh, don't you think?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/murder

1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

Well...Shadow Tracker and Vince...I'm going to find a translator/dictionary to fnd the language you two are speaking in(Isn't it ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish?) and try to translate it properly, rather than try to guess what the hell you two're typing. Do wait for me, as this may take a while. :3
Not really, unless it's something servere or a mental state. Also, taking medicion should be their responsibility or a carers. If they are cared for by someone and medication is down to the person looking after them, I completely agree with your statement, it would be harsh.
However, if its down to the individual to take their mediciation I think it's very much the same as someone who is as healthy as a horse. (Sorry, I needed to use that expression. xD)

Quote:
ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish
That sounds so cute, it had to be said. x3
__________________


dA × vpp × urpg × twitter × gamertag: IchigoTako × MALEFICENT♥
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Vincent_Valentine_4's Avatar
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Federal Way,WA
Posts: 3,153
Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post

Types of murder = Listed here.

Not strange you don't understand him. Both of you must've learnt to speak the language of ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish from some island near Never Land. (Say hi to Peter Pan and Tinker Bell for me!)

Finally, what you and your classmate were talking about was...Death Penalty without pre-hand judgement and consideration of factors. What Wisp(iKawaii), my dear ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongans, is criticism of an apparently flawed judgement case. Something entirely different.
Mhmm I think I read about that.

But..medical negligence being considered murder's too harsh, don't you think?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/murder

1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

Well...Shadow Tracker and Vince...I'm going to find a translator/dictionary to fnd the language you two are speaking in(Isn't it ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish?) and try to translate it properly, rather than try to guess what the hell you two're typing. Do wait for me, as this may take a while. :3
Why must you be so immature snowfairy? I'm just trying to have a debate and you just keep posting stupid things trying to make me sound like a 5 year old so please be mature and keep this a debate not a personal attack thread. The fact is he knew the risks of what could happen when he was drinking and he was willing to take that chance and he killed 2 people thus he deserves it in return.
__________________
Fc:1332-5847-5462
http://www.perfectworld.com.
My current Character is ItzPaine
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Judge Dredd's Avatar
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gold 3438-5902-8014
Posts: 33,107
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post

Types of murder = Listed here.

Not strange you don't understand him. Both of you must've learnt to speak the language of ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish from some island near Never Land. (Say hi to Peter Pan and Tinker Bell for me!)

Finally, what you and your classmate were talking about was...Death Penalty without pre-hand judgement and consideration of factors. What Wisp(iKawaii), my dear ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongans, is criticism of an apparently flawed judgement case. Something entirely different.
Mhmm I think I read about that.

But..medical negligence being considered murder's too harsh, don't you think?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/murder

1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

Well...Shadow Tracker and Vince...I'm going to find a translator/dictionary to fnd the language you two are speaking in(Isn't it ooglebooglegrumbringspringsteenwongdongish?) and try to translate it properly, rather than try to guess what the hell you two're typing. Do wait for me, as this may take a while. :3
again would you please stay on the topic its really hard for people to talk about this while you are constanly going off the subject. I have reported you for these personal attacks, I feel that you are only wasting our time.
__________________
VPP

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Wisp's Avatar
Wisp Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In my bedroom, with my xbox :3
Posts: 1,278
Send a message via MSN to Wisp
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKillingDog View Post
I don't think there should be a death penalty. that is too unfair.
Hardly. If someone kills somebody, why shouldn't they be punished in the way they punished someone else?

@Shadow: Tbh, she isn't going off topic. ^^; Death penalty has everything to do with murder. It's kind of the reason behind it.
__________________


dA × vpp × urpg × twitter × gamertag: IchigoTako × MALEFICENT♥

Last edited by Wisp; 02-23-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com