Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: Death Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post
No matter how many times I see that picture, I've got to clap and cheer Starki, good one. :]

Anyway about the Death Penalty...why does it have to be a omfg-death-penalty-everyone-who-did-a-serious-crime or -omfg-that-is-too-harsh- views? Blast it, the Chinese and Eastern guys keep taking the path of moderation, middle path and all that bla bla. No wonder they're much smarter than us. xD

And nah, this isn't an insult to them. It's a compliment. =P And a dig at ourselves for not trying to change ourselves I suppse. -Is still cheering about Starki's macro-
Middle path doesn't mean we don't execute. Mostly for murder and treason, in the olden days of monarchies. We still execute for murder, and we execute for drug trafficking in Singapore, which I agree with because drugs can ruin the lives of a lot of people in one go.

And intense physical labour for a murderer on life sentence is hardly enough. They should be forced to consume their own excretions.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 02-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Valentine_4 View Post
Honestly I'm pretty sure that technology is good enough now to where we can find out if anyone is innocent or guilty.
honesszly im sure ur wrong coz deres no tech good enuff 2 sai wedder a pursons lieing or nawt and provied pruuf b4 u say so.

And why else do we have courts, judges, lawyers and all those people, instead of a machine? :|
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlugia2 View Post
the time there spent rotting and suffering in prison soaks up too much money (which is our tax money), so instead of wasting money feeding,clothing, and keeping the person generally alive for 15 years they just need to kill them right then and it would save money for the other inmates or other any project that needs to be done for the country.
Why not talk about the way war is draining our economy? Compared to most of the other junk going on, this seems like peanuts.

Cost of incarceration
The United States spends an estimated $60 billion each year on corrections.[65] It costs an average of $88 dollars a day per prisoner.

The Iraq War was an unnecessary fail-troll but Multi-Trillion Dollar war. Would you rather kill all those people and save 60 Billion into bombing another country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
Middle path doesn't mean we don't execute. Mostly for murder and treason, in the olden days of monarchies. We still execute for murder, and we execute for drug trafficking in Singapore, which I agree with because drugs can ruin the lives of a lot of people in one go.
I didn't mean that Starki. Sure, those monarchs were (and some in countries like Thailand or Nepal) are loonies/extremists, but then..we must have capable judges who should be given the power to decide when to use what, rather than use Permutations and Combinations robotically.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:43 PM
silverlugia2 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to silverlugia2

Quote:
Why not talk about the way war is draining our economy? Compared to most of the other junk going on, this seems like peanuts.

Cost of incarceration
The United States spends an estimated $60 billion each year on corrections.[65] It costs an average of $88 dollars a day per prisoner.

The Iraq War was an unnecessary fail-troll but Multi-Trillion Dollar war. Would you rather kill all those people and save 60 Billion into bombing another country?
I don't think the war is right either,but that's not what the subject of the topic is. If it cost $88 a day for corrections, then that $88 dollars they were spending on the inmate that's on death row could be used for somthing else is what I mean. I'd think plenty of people would be happy with extra money in there poket no matter how small of an amount it is.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
I didn't mean that Starki. Sure, those monarchs were (and some in countries like Thailand or Nepal) are loonies/extremists, but then..we must have capable judges who should be given the power to decide when to use what, rather than use Permutations and Combinations robotically.
Yes, judges are good. Abolish jury system pl0x. It's easier to find one smart, intelligent guy who can try to be as unbiased as possible than to get twelve of them.

And in ancient China treason was executable because it's like blasphemy against God/Heaven. So off with their heads.

I thought that judges were the ones that handed out the sentences though. :x

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 02-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlugia2 View Post
I If it cost $88 a day for corrections, then that $88 dollars they were spending on the inmate that's on death row could be used for somthing else is what I mean. I'd think plenty of people would be happy with extra money in there poket no matter how small of an amount it is.
If the money doesn't go to prisons, the government would keep it in their treasury/use it for some other fail purpose. Taxes wouldn't be increased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
Yes, judges are good. Abolish jury system pl0x. It's easier to find one smart, intelligent guy who can try to be as unbiased as possible than to get twelve of them.

And in ancient China treason was executable because it's like blasphemy against God/Heaven. So off with their heads.

I thought that judges were the ones that handed out the sentences though. :x
There are times when Judges could be wrong..the judge listens to the Jury just as "Hey-what-do-you-guys-think".

I do believe there's a little known clause that says the Jury, when in majority, can overrule the judge...not completely sure. The jury system has to be tweaked though.

And...weren't the lords in China highly revered? Maybe that's why treason was considered so blasphemous. =P
Old 02-20-2009, 05:22 PM
SalvadorDalí Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to SalvadorDalí

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana Marie View Post
Alright :/ I am pretty sure that when people get sentenced to deathrow, they are not killed right away.

I think we keep the death penalty, but put off for a few months. Like a waiting list. that way, if the person is truly innocent they have a chance to get their case taken up with someone who beleives they are innocent.

Ranmna- Physical labor? For someone that perhaps killed twenty children, and you would say a life of physical labor suffice's? :|

Now, if there were no deathrow/deathpenalty our prison's would eventually become full. and then new facilities would have to be made, and then there would be countless prison's all over the place to hold all the people who deserve secound chances/ can be rehabilitated, and the people who have murdered and cannot be rehabilitated.

Death penalty has been working for age's.

A few months? It took 27 years(in the previous article I linked) to figure out that the man was innocent. With your thought process an innocent man would be dead and a lot more would die in the future.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:

If the money doesn't go to prisons, the government would keep it in their treasury/use it for some other fail purpose. Taxes wouldn't be increased.

There are times when Judges could be wrong..the judge listens to the Jury just as "Hey-what-do-you-guys-think".

I do believe there's a little known clause that says the Jury, when in majority, can overrule the judge...not completely sure. The jury system has to be tweaked though.

And...weren't the lords in China highly revered? Maybe that's why treason was considered so blasphemous. =P
Basically the emperor was said to be The One Chosen By Heaven, so going against him is like going against God. You couldn't even wear yellow, since yellow was the emperor's colour.

It's IMO easier for 12 normal people to get it wrong than 1 expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorDalí View Post
A few months? It took 27 years(in the previous article I linked) to figure out that the man was innocent. With your thought process an innocent man would be dead and a lot more would die in the future.
You talk as if everyone that's on trial is innocent. This isn't Phoenix Wright, you know. I'd rather play it safe than sorry. We already have so darn many checks and balances to make sure that the person found guilty is really guilty, and anyway there can never be a way of knowing if a person is guilty or innocent. For every 10000 people that are given a right verdict, maybe 1 is given a wrong one. Too bad. Suck it up. It's always happened, and we've already tried our best, so let it go.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 02-21-2009, 06:21 AM
Josh Offline

Send a message via MSN to Josh

Quote:
I'd rather play it safe than sorry.
Safe = innocent person dying. Whoops.

Intolerance
Current Chapter: Eighteen

URPG
Old 02-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Safe = innocent person dying. Whoops.
Look at it this way: The death of ONE innocent dude or the release of quite a few murderers that can go on killing more people? Your choice.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 02-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Josh Offline

I am a tad confused at America's messed up "justice" system if the innocent person is getting sentenced to anything and the guilty parties are excused.

Intolerance

URPG
Old 02-21-2009, 08:29 PM
spid3r Offline
Banned

Their is no need to bring up how the war is draining our economy or the economy at all in this discussion. People that get put on the death penalty, don't even get put to death till about ten years of the date it's sentenced. Since they appeal and appeal. Unless their is a rare case for instance of Saddam Hussain.

The death penalty has been around since the birth of time and it should stay that way. Why do you think they executed prisoners in front of hundreds of people? So that the people learn from the mistake that the prisoner made and wouldn't commit the crime they made. It's worked for thousands of years, why stop now?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Josh Offline

If it's been showing people for thousands of years the consequence of the crime, why hasn't the message gotten through?

Intolerance

URPG
Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid3r View Post
Their is no need to bring up how the war is draining our economy or the economy at all in this discussion.
If people whine about tax dollars and taxes as a reason to use Death Penalty, then why can't the issue about the war come in?

@ Josh: Good point(s) Josh lol.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Finch Offline
Inazuma

Send a message via Skype™ to Finch

Quote:
If people whine about tax dollars and taxes as a reason to use Death Penalty, then why can't the issue about the war come in?

@ Josh: Good point(s) Josh lol.
May is always right.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Dragoness Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
If it's been showing people for thousands of years the consequence of the crime, why hasn't the message gotten through?
That is a very good point, lol. I do not have good statistics on how much the death penalty does stop murders, but most certainly not all people care about it. Hard physical labor/imprisonment might work almost as well at keeping the amount of *people down who murder (those who believe that a life of physical labor/imprisonment is worse then death, anyway), but...meh.

Last edited by Dragoness; 02-21-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: I wanted to add more detail...