Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default What is your opinion on apathy?

Many people of the US tell you to vote. They say if you don't vote, you don't count. But what do you think about apathy? Since the US is not a direct democracy, can apathy be tolerated?

This recent election has done major damage to my opinions, so I believe I am now one of those "apathetic people," so of course I tolerate it. Note that I am not pessimistic nor optimistic; I believe the country is doomed in any direction we go, as of this year's election. Not necessarily a committed apathetic, but one who just doesn't want to be held accountable for our nation's misdoings.

XIV.Geoffrey.XIV

Old 12-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: What is your opinion on apathy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post
Many people of the US tell you to vote. They say if you don't vote, you don't count. But what do you think about apathy? Since the US is not a direct democracy, can apathy be tolerated?

This recent election has done major damage to my opinions, so I believe I am now one of those "apathetic people," so of course I tolerate it. Note that I am not pessimistic nor optimistic; I believe the country is doomed in any direction we go, as of this year's election. Not necessarily a committed apathetic, but one who just doesn't want to be held accountable for our nation's misdoings.

XIV.Geoffrey.XIV
You're not in Canada. That's where apathy really shines: nobody cares about any of the political parties simply because they all suck. Voter turnout was at a record low.

You are very clearly not apathetic. Apathy means that you have no care for anything with regards to a topic. In my example, Canadians are apathetic to the political situation at hand because they all suck. In your example, you aren't apathetic because you're very much clearly against Democrats. That is, you care about the political situation, and that political situation is not to your liking.

The recent federal election didn't "damage your opinions". Your opinions (that is, your negativity towards Democrats in general) are as strong as it is in the past. What it did do is telling you that things don't always work out to your favor. Perhaps you feel that this means that the US may not turn out to your favor as well. Your hesitation isn't unfounded, of course, and there is nothing wrong with how you feel in this regard either, considering your disposition. One thing is certain though: this election probably has little outcome in determining whether or not the country would be doomed or not. Even if McCain is in office, he'd have the same problems Obama will be having, and would likely have not done any different about the economy as Obama.

As I said, if you have to blame someone for the election, blame Palin. She singlehandedly destroyed all hope for the McCain campaign in swing states.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
You are very clearly not apathetic. Apathy means that you have no care for anything with regards to a topic. In my example, Canadians are apathetic to the political situation at hand because they all suck. In your example, you aren't apathetic because you're very much clearly against Democrats. That is, you care about the political situation, and that political situation is not to your liking.

I guess I did not explain my apathy very well. I very soberly understand what apathy means. I prefer the definition, "lack of interest".

No, I am not an antagonist of the Democratic party, or other liberals. I'm not really a Republican myself; it's just a general presumption of most people. I do not like McCain myself. I consider myself somewhat apathetic, because I do lack interest, because both candidates, both Obama AND McCain, in my opinion, suck.

Quote:
The recent federal election didn't "damage your opinions". Your opinions (that is, your negativity towards Democrats in general) are as strong as it is in the past. What it did do is telling you that things don't always work out to your favor. Perhaps you feel that this means that the US may not turn out to your favor as well. Your hesitation isn't unfounded, of course, and there is nothing wrong with how you feel in this regard either, considering your disposition. One thing is certain though: this election probably has little outcome in determining whether or not the country would be doomed or not. Even if McCain is in office, he'd have the same problems Obama will be having, and would likely have not done any different about the economy as Obama.
Due to your lack of empathy, and the personality trait you posses that makes you love to make everyone that you assume/presume to be against your thoughts look like an idiot, you do not quite understand my situation. Yes, the recent election has done some damage to my opinions. Maybe the word "damage" wasn't quite the right word; maybe transformed would be a better word for perfectionists.

No, of course things did not turn out in my favor, no. But that was due to the fact that the media has warped opinions of the people of the US. For example; most of the the armed forces of the United States of America are conservative. They do not have the media telling them what has happened on a day to day basis. One thing is for certain. Our media has a lot of bias. The armed forces' media is not biased, or has little bias.

Quote:
As I said, if you have to blame someone for the election, blame Palin. She singlehandedly destroyed all hope for the McCain campaign in swing states.
Not singlehandedly. The media loves to destroy conservatives that aren't McCain or the governor of California. Why? Those two call themselves Republican, but aren't, really.

By the way, this thread is not about MY opinions. It is about apathy. Do you tolerate it or not?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:34 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I tolerate it, in both yours and Kenny's definitions of the word. I tolerate it because there's nothing I can do about it. There will always be people who are apathetic. But I do not support the idea. I don't like it. I really, really don't like it. The entire first smester of my government class last year, I sat next to this jerk (Kenny, your opinion of Canadians and politics is supported here, he is in fact from Canada) who continuously complained because it wouldn't affect him by the time he could legally vote. And I'm like, shut the hell up, it's still important to know!

My point is this. Politics affects you whether you like it or not, so take an interest or you'll be in for a big shock when your taxes soar and you find out we're in seven wars.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:32 AM
Disruption Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Disruption

Geoffrey, it seems to me that if you lacked complete interest, you wouldn't be posting this thread at all.

Last edited by Disruption; 01-04-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:

I guess I did not explain my apathy very well. I very soberly understand what apathy means. I prefer the definition, "lack of interest".

No, I am not an antagonist of the Democratic party, or other liberals. I'm not really a Republican myself; it's just a general presumption of most people. I do not like McCain myself. I consider myself somewhat apathetic, because I do lack interest, because both candidates, both Obama AND McCain, in my opinion, suck.
It's how you present yourself that makes you look antagonistic of the Democrats. You don't actually have to look far for anyone to assume you're hardcore republican.

A lack of interest is not the same as apathy. As I said, you're not apathetic to the situation at hand. You would be if you never made this thread.

Quote:
Due to your lack of empathy, and the personality trait you posses that makes you love to make everyone that you assume/presume to be against your thoughts look like an idiot, you do not quite understand my situation. Yes, the recent election has done some damage to my opinions. Maybe the word "damage" wasn't quite the right word; maybe transformed would be a better word for perfectionists.
How would "transformed" be the better word?

Quote:
No, of course things did not turn out in my favor, no. But that was due to the fact that the media has warped opinions of the people of the US. For example; most of the the armed forces of the United States of America are conservative. They do not have the media telling them what has happened on a day to day basis. One thing is for certain. Our media has a lot of bias. The armed forces' media is not biased, or has little bias.
Here you're stating that those that have little bias would vote conservative. You conveniently missed the fact that a majority of the military personnel are republican in general. That is, there is a lot of bias from the people within the military, whether you like it or not.

Quote:
Not singlehandedly. The media loves to destroy conservatives that aren't McCain or the governor of California. Why? Those two call themselves Republican, but aren't, really.
Fox news. Palin made several crucial interview errors during her running.

It seems rather unfair to say that all of the media loves to destroy the two "republicans" when those you're talking about are democratic in nature. To be honest, it's impossible for truly neutral media unless that medium is apathetic to the situation.

Quote:
By the way, this thread is not about MY opinions. It is about apathy. Do you tolerate it or not?
I actively have no care about Canadian politics.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 PM

@Kenny; Well it is your opinion, so I guess there isn't much I can say.

@Disruption & Kenny; As I said in my first post, I am not a comitted apathetic, I am only trying.

Quote:
A lack of interest is not the same as apathy. As I said, you're not apathetic to the situation at hand. You would be if you never made this thread.
So, are you suggesting me making this thread is spam? People differ from others, so saying that isn't valid; what if I was a true apathetic, and I was just curious about your opinion, just like I did about a week ago? There is much more to the mind than meets the eye, do playing "mind know-it-all" doesn't help.

XIV.Geoffrey.XIV

Old 01-06-2009, 05:01 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
So, are you suggesting me making this thread is spam? People differ from others, so saying that isn't valid; what if I was a true apathetic, and I was just curious about your opinion, just like I did about a week ago? There is much more to the mind than meets the eye, do playing "mind know-it-all" doesn't help.
You should already know the answer to this question, considering you know my definition of apathy (if not, no, it isn't spam). It's also very simple to deduce what my stance on apathy from what I've said, is it not?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
@Disruption & Kenny; As I said in my first post, I am not a comitted apathetic, I am only trying.
Um, just out of curiousity, how does one try to become apathetic? I don't think that's psychologically possible. First of all, it's a paradox, and second of all, if you have an interest, as you clearly do if you posted here, you can't just say "hm, I don't think I want to be interested in this anymore". Sorry, brain doesn't work that way.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khajmer View Post
Um, just out of curiousity, how does one try to become apathetic? I don't think that's psychologically possible. First of all, it's a paradox, and second of all, if you have an interest, as you clearly do if you posted here, you can't just say "hm, I don't think I want to be interested in this anymore". Sorry, brain doesn't work that way.
It's sort of like being heterosexual and tying to have a sense of celibacy; I'm trying not to get involved into politics. By making this thread, I am cheating on my political "diet."

Paradox that.

XIV.Geoffrey.XIV

Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 AM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

This thread made me giggle.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Apocrypha Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Apocrypha

I don't care enough to answer.

I might answer later

/pun

^ Epic banner made by Anastasia-R ^
Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Wingull Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Wingull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
I don't care enough to answer.

I might answer later

/pun
Genius!
There was a same thread on Yahoo Answers, and someone replied the same way as you did.

My opinion on apathy; I don't fully understand the word to be honest. Why use the word apathy, when you can just ignore. Making sense? Cause I'm not sure...
Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Nirvash Offline

Send a message via AIM to Nirvash

ap⋅a⋅thy
   /ˈćpəθi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ap-uh-thee] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -thies.
1. absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement.
2. lack of interest in or concern for things that others find moving or exciting.

Since nobody defined Apathetic, I have gone ahead and done so.

Now, using these definitions, I don't think that you can attempt to be apathetic on a particular subject. I am apathetic towards most sports, particularly because they have never caught my interest, and I do not feel that it is important at all. I believe there is a certain excitement to it, but I only view that if you do like sports, and I do not feel the excitement at all.

You, on the other hand, are completely the opposite. By creating this thread and explaining your position with out provocation at all, you have showed that you do care. You have defended that your "apathy", and argued why. You even stated that the election didn't turn out the way you wanted, showing you had an opinion. You accuse the media of being liberal, which also shows that you care. Kenny pretty much had it down when he said you didn't have to look far to show that you were hardcore republican. Apathy is not the right word, sir.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Apocrypha Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Apocrypha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingull View Post
Genius!
There was a same thread on Yahoo Answers, and someone replied the same way as you did.

My opinion on apathy; I don't fully understand the word to be honest. Why use the word apathy, when you can just ignore. Making sense? Cause I'm not sure...
There is a difference between ignorance and apathy. I don't know, and I don't care.

/anotherpun

^ Epic banner made by Anastasia-R ^