Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Send a message via AIM to Shen Send a message via MSN to Shen Send a message via Yahoo to Shen Send a message via Skype™ to Shen
Default Re: The Trial of Juno: United in Arms

Chapter 5: Intruder

The following day, Juno called a meeting together in the main hall for twenty-five Pokémon, a mix of Typhoon Runners, Storm Riders, and ground forces. It took only ten minutes before the selected riders gathered in platoon formation in front of the Gold Rider, all wearing very serious expressions on their faces. The Pokémon were soon split into five equal squads, and then stood around Juno in their groups. At the front of the fourth group, Landon stood, ready to hear what this meeting was about, and Maura stood in the middle of the center group.

"Thank you all for coming so quickly," Juno remarked once things had quieted down, "I know we have limited forces we can spare at the moment, but this plan is our best shot for increasing our chances of success against the Black Onyx Kingdom. We'll need every Pokémon we can spare in the coming struggles. Therefore, I believe it's best if we start looking for survivors and renegades."

On cue, a map unfurled on the white wall behind him, and he took a long, thin stick in hand. "As you have noticed, I have split you into five groups of five. The group names are as follows: Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma, and Sigma. Alpha and Beta consist of ground forces, while the remaining three are Storm Riders and Typhoon Runners.

"Now, onto the plans." Juno pointed the stick at a point near center of the main continent. "Alpha and Beta squads will be transported to the mainland under cover of early morning, and will immediately head out to the Silver Apex to look for survivors. The entire population of the Silver Apex had sheltered underground to escape the raids the Black Onyx Kingdom has conducted for years, so I am positive that there are some remaining stragglers who've evaded detection by our enemies.

"Meanwhile, Gamma and Delta will have separate missions assigned to them in Crimsonland. I already know the Crimson Stars were once our enemies, but after what happened, I doubt they’ll have any grudges." There were a few mumbles from the group, but nobody said anything loud enough for Juno to discern. The Pikachu stopped his pacing and looked to the middle group. "And for you troopers assigned to Delta, you’ll probably notice you’re missing a Squad Leader. I’ll be taking you into that strike zone myself."

The muttering was even louder this time. The Storm Riders were happy to have their war hero leading them, while the Typhoon Runner was excited he'd be able to see Juno in action finally. Juno let them whisper for a little longer before he continued. "Finally, for those assigned to Sigma, your mission is to fly northwest to the Silver Apex city of Durantal. Chances are good the Black Onyx only sent a small amount of forces to take it down, or they missed it completely. My hopes are for the latter, and if we’re lucky, we may double our numbers with their support. Plus, it would help me convince Aries these missions are needed.”

“How much resistance should we expect out of heading to Symarix?” A Croconaw from Bravo asked. “Doesn’t the Black Onyx regularly send Royal Enforcer patrols to that location to harass anyone who’s left there?”

“That’s right, that’s why I’m sending two teams,” Juno replied. “And if you see them, make sure they never get back to Monaraca for a status report. Alpha and Bravo Squads will head out at 0300 tomorrow morning to keep the advantage darkness offers on the boats, while Delta, Gamma, and Sigma will be leaving at sunrise tomorrow morning, 0600 hours, so be ready to head out when the time comes. You will have exactly one week to covertly comb over every part of your designated areas before you will return home with any and every survivor you have found. If you fail to return to the Azure Islands after one week, we will immediately assume the worst has befallen you. Dismissed.”

"SIR!" the crowd cried as one, and they gave a salute before all starting to leave at once. Chatter arose immediately as they filed out. However, Landon stayed behind, a somber expression on his face. No one else noticed him for a few moments, until Juno looked over and noticed he hadn't joined those who were leaving.

"Landon? What seems to be the problem?" Juno asked, approaching the young Pikachu.

Landon shifted a little, uneasily. "Uh...sir, I don't really think I'm ready to be the Squad Leader of Gamma..." he muttered, embarrassed but refusing to lower his gaze. "I don't have nearly as much experience as some others, and I have yet to gain the experience I feel is necessary for a job like this..."

Juno shook his head and placed a hand on Landon's shoulder. "Landon, you told me after the battle the other day that you had been fighting against the Black Onyx Kingdom nearly your entire life. They had destroyed your home nation, and you were the sole survivor. You have valuable knowledge of how to fight the Black Onyx Kingdom. And after what I saw in the battle yesterday, I have complete confidence that you'd be able to lead Gamma Squad on a mission to find allies and survivors."

Landon's mouth quivered, but quickly broke into a soft smile. "Thank you, sir, that means a lot to me."

Juno chuckled. "And please, quit calling me 'sir.' You can call me Juno, just like everyone else."

Landon would have responded, but that very second, a loud, blaring siren started, rising in tempo and volume. Landon's eyes went wide, and he turned to the doorway. "That's...an invasion alarm!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The sky above roiled with dark, rain-heavy clouds. It exhumed the very feeling of omen from itself.

In the middle of the ocean, a single Lucario, garbed in a completely black outfit and bearing two swords strapped onto his back, stood in mid-air, just above the waves, calmly and quietly observing his target from only a mile away. The Azure Islands. He smirked; there were obvious signs of recent habitation and activity, judging by the buildings he could see, and the smoke gently rising from fires. He knew he'd found them, after searching for so long.

The Silver Apex.

"King Skepter will be most pleased to know this little tidbit of information," he cackled to himself. "However, before I go...I want to have a little fun with these insects. I'm sure that His Highness would absolutely love to have the pelt of Juno resting at the foot of his throne."

After a few more seconds of standing in the air, the Lucario jetted forward suddenly, as if flying at incredible speeds. The very water below him parted as he flew by, a testament to the power this being held. An insidious grin took the place of his confident grin as he grew closer and closer. It wasn't long before he was able to point out individual Pokémon on the beach and further inland, and he reached back with his right hand to unsheathe one sword quickly.

The Squirtle standing on the beach only glimpsed the Lucario flying at him before the intruder was upon him, and, with the blade swinging in a deadly arc, he was decapitated.

The reaction was instant. Every Pokémon in sight scrambled to get their weapons and defend themselves. The Lucario was allowed a few seconds to cackle loudly, for all to hear, before his enemies opened fire on him. His arrival must certainly have been a shock, because not many bullets were on target; this floating Lucario had intimidated a fair few Silver Apex fighters.

The Lucario floated higher to avoid bullets, weaving back and forth fluidly in a display of his abilities. "Amateurs!" the Lucario screamed tauntingly. "Bring me the Gold Rider! Bring me your greatest warrior so I may smite any hope you have!"

Then, the sound of a rising alarm met his ears, and his grin could only get bigger. "That's it, let him know your doom is upon you!" He looked to the palm trees, and saw many aerial warriors rising to meet him. He drew his sword back as he prepared to fight them, confident this would be as easy as swatting flies.

Down below, Landon and Juno dashed out of the entrance to the main hall, each letting out a unique whistle. The next instant, a Latias and a Staraptor zoomed out of the sky to land before their respective riders. "Juno, a Lucario with strange powers is attacking the beach!" Blazewing cried as Juno climbed aboard. "He's dodging bullets fired at him in midair, and he doesn't have a mount!"

Landon paused in shock in the middle of climbing onto Sivaris' back. "What madness is this...?!" he muttered. He shook his head to gather his senses, and got on his mount. "Well, whatever. A single warrior won't defeat us, strange powers or not!"

Juno pulled out his GN-KAL assault rifle from the holster on Blazewing's side. "That's right, Landon. And we'll make sure he knows that personally!"

The two took to the air together, rising quickly to fight with the Lucario.

The sounds of fighting quickly drew Landon and Juno to the Lucario's position, where they saw him harassing a Pichu riding a Pidgeot. The Storm Rider fled as fast as his mount could go, but somehow, the Lucario was gaining on him, swinging his sword wildly after him. "Come back here, you coward!" he yelled.

Juno aimed in his path and pressed the trigger, unleashing a volley of bullets in his path to stop his pursuit. The Lucario caught sight of him and jumped back in the air, avoiding the bullets altogether. He stood up straight and smirked, pointing his sword at Juno.

"Am I to assume that you are the Legendary Gold Rider?"

"Assume all you want, but yes, that is who I am," Juno responded, pointing his GN-KAL back at him. "Quite foolish to come alone. Don't you know you will be killed very shortly?"

The Lucario cackled darkly. "You're the fool. Your pitiful amateurs could never touch me. And besides...I have yet to rip the life out of you, their last hope. So I cannot allow myself to leave until I have your carcass in hand."

"I'm afraid that you're the only one that's going to get killed, here and now."

Before the Lucario could respond, bullets suddenly started firing up from under the Lucario. It was so unexpected his legs and arms were pierced by bullets several times before he jumped through the air out of the way. Juno looked down, and saw Landon and Sivaris speeding straight up, the young Typhoon Runner unloading an entire clip towards their enemy. This provided Juno with the perfect distraction. He took aim with his weapon, and concentrated. Immediately, time began to slow around Juno and Blazewing as he used his ability. The Lucario's face went from a grimace of pain to one of shock as his head lifted to look at Juno, who squeezed the trigger that very second.

The first three bullets out of the barrel burrowed through the Lucario's head, killing him instantly. He fell, lifeless.

Landon and Sivaris flew up and hovered next to Juno and Blazewing. "Oooh, nasty..." Sivaris muttered.

"You're one hell of a shot, Juno..." Landon said, astounded.

Juno merely replaced his GN-KAL in the holster on Blazewing's side and shrugged. "I've, uh...had a lot of practice, Landon...Remember, I was in the Crimson War."

Landon nodded slowly. "I know, I know, but...still, damn..."

The aerial warriors made their way to the ground and dismounted their partners, standing over the Lucario's body. Landon gave a quick glance over him before furrowing his brow. "Definitely a piece of Black Onyx scum..."

Juno gave a closer look over the carcass, making sure he missed nothing. "Anyway, Black Onyx or not, he had extraordinary powers...We need to find out why he has these powers..." He blinked as he spotted something about the chest of his uniform. "Look...he's wearing something underneath his outfit." Juno knelt down, and pressed a paw softly, cautiously, on top of it. It took only an instant of contact for Juno to jump back. "Landon, whatever you do, don't touch it!"

Landon was surprised by Juno's reaction at whatever it was he felt, or why he had specifically told him not to touch. "Wha? Why, what is it...?"

"I felt the same dark energy as yesterday," Juno responded, "It's another one of the medallions!"

Landon's eye went wide as his mind dipped once more into that feeling of ultimate evil he had felt once he'd grabbed the medallion from the convoy...A feeling so cold...so inescapable...Landon shook his head and stepped back. "So you're trying to tell me Skepter has found a way to give his soldiers superpowers through medallions now?!"

"I...just don't know, Landon..." Juno shook his head. "Regardless, the Black Onyx is more of a threat than ever before..." One who knew Juno could see the gears working in his head as he thought on this...

Before anything else could be said, Aries approached the four Pokémon, staring down at the dead Lucario. “See, Juno? This is exactly why we can’t send forces out,” the Sceptile told Juno, shutting his eyes in frustration. “More of their patrols will be heading here soon. Or even worse, they know we’re here. We need all forces in this location.”

“Aries…no,” Juno responded, shaking his head. “We need to take action. Something needs to be done as an offensive, or we’re going to be overrun for sure.”

Aries went to check the vital signs of the Lucario, placing his fingers on his neck to feel a pulse. However, there was nothing. Juno sighed lightly, just before a light trickle of rain started to come down from the darkened sky.

“I saw your plans, Juno,” Aries said, despite how many others were watching. “I know you mean well, but…”

“I can change them.” Juno looked hard at the Sceptile, trying to come up with a suggestion before he called the whole thing off, “Two teams to look for survivors, and three others to head out east to act as rogue groups to take out their assets. Aries, I’ll be honest with you. The only way I was able to take down the Crimson Stars was by taking immediate action. We need to do the same here…” Now more than ever...

Juno hated to think there could be survivors out there dying slowly when they needed the Silver Apex, and vice versa. Still, they knew this was only one Black Onyx enforcer that had found them. But more could be coming. And if this patroller was killed and didn’t return home, it could insinuate something was here. All they could hope for was that this wasn’t an official search, and that the Lucario was too arrogant to call anything in. If it was, he would have had more members on his side, and the attack would have been more brutal than it was.

“I hate sending forces out…” Aries said in a calm tone, looking out as the light rain sprinkled on his face, “Juno, do what you want, but keep in mind that we need protection here too. Don’t take too many of us…”

“I promise, I’ll be careful about these next operations,” Juno assured him, giving him a slight smile. “We need to keep the Black Onyx Kingdom on the defensive. And we can do that by covertly taking out their assets. But we need survivors too.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Juno quickly called the five groups into another emergency meeting. Everyone present knew exactly why this meeting was called: the attack only moments before. Now, an eerie silence filled the hall, the tension higher than ever before.

“As you realized, we were attacked by a single Black Onyx trooper, who was taken out.” Juno told the squads, laying out the plans, “Because of this attack, its hard to say whether Black Onyx as a whole knows where we are, but we need to act as if they don’t. This is why I’m pulling out Gamma, Delta, and Sigma from the search parties to move east to become covert ops to destroy some of the Black Onyx’s key targets.”

“So where are Alpha and Bravo going?” Edwards, the Prinplup Captain of Bravo, asked.

“Alpha will head into Crimsonland alone, while Bravo will search the Silver Apex, specifically, Durantal,” Juno responded quickly, “Again, one week's time, don’t spend any longer than that out there. As for the rest of us, we’ve got new orders. Delta, lead by myself, will proceed to the Ganson Industrial Wing, and wipe out as many critical targets as possible. Meanwhile, Gamma will attack the Southwest Manufacturing Plant. As for Sigma, Shale Ridge remains as one of our highest priorities. In truth, they were taken over by Black Onyx, but if we can persuade them to help us and act defiant against the Black Onyx, we would open up a whole new campaign that could possibly wipe out the Black Onyx Kingdom completely. Meanwhile, the attacks on their industrial sites will keep them distracted.”

There were no more questions, and the squads were dissmissed to prepare for deployment the following morning. Landon immediately ran outside, where Sivaris met up with him and berated him with questions. "So, what's going on now? Have the plans changed? What are we supposed to do now?"

"Woah woah woah, Sivaris, calm down..." he said, trying to calm the agitated Staraptor. "Yes, the plans have changed for us. Come on, I'll tell you on the way..."

As they walked, Landon told him everything that Juno had told him, and the new plan for the Gamma's to attack the Southwestern Manufacturing Plant. He stayed silent through the whole explanation. When Landon finished, they were near the infirmary building.

Zhunjai was already out on the steps, waiting, a worried expression on her face. As Landon approached, she got up and ran out to meet him halfway. "So, what happened after the attack? I'm still confused as to how he found us..."

"Zhunjai, there's been a change in plans," he told her.

"Wha...what do you mean?" she asked tentatively.

"Delta, Gamma, and Sigma are going on the offensive, instead of looking for survivors..."

"Offensive? I thought we had too little to do such a thing!" Zhunjai said, obviously surprised.

Landon nodded. "Yes, well, we're just attacking key targets as rogue groups of five. I'm the Captain of Gamma, so I'll be leading them to the Southwest Manufacturing Plant." He took Zhunjai's free hand and smiled in his usual way. "You know I'll be fine. And I'll make sure that the other four come back safe as well. No worries."

She looked at him a few more seconds before sighing. "Yeah, I guess you're right. I just worry about you a lot."

"I know, you told me yesterday," he responded, and turned back towards his barracks. "I'll see you later."

"I'll see you off tomorrow!" she called after the two as Landon and Sivaris left.

"Hmmm...she worries about you an awful lot just for a comrade." Sivaris said suddenly as his partner climbed onto his back. He quickly took to the air and angled for the barracks.

Landon sighed. "Yeah, I suppose, but she was the one who saved my life after I washed up on the beach a long time ago. We spent a lot of time together after that, so I'm not surprised."

"Do you worry about her?" the Staraptor asked.

"Of course I do. I worry about all my comrades."

Sivaris chuckled. "I'm sure more for Zhunjai than anyone else."

"What's that supposed to mean?!" he snapped in a joking way.

Sivaris refused to say more as he flew on.

Down below, a small figure hid in a bush as Sivaris' shadow flew over him. He waited a few more minutes before retreating further under cover, back the way he'd come. He was constantly alert, avoiding detection until he reached the beach, where the aquatic Pokemon quickly submerged himself in the waters and out of sight.

No one noticed when the Kabutops in the black uniform swam away into the sea, mind full of secrets his king would die for...

Last edited by Shen; 10-26-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Quote:
The Pokémon were soon split into five equal groups, and then stood around Juno in their groups.
You used group twice in the same sentence. ^^' Wanna try something different?

Quote:
"Thank you all for coming so quickly," Juno remarked quickly,
Again, but you used quickly twice.

Quote:
The Pikachu stopped his pacing and looked to the middle group "And
I'd put a period after group.

Quote:
“How much resistance should we expect out of heading to Symarix?” A Croconaw from Bravo asked,
The sentence has ended, therefore you need a period, not a comma.

Quote:
“That’s right, that’s why I’m sending two teams.” Juno replied, “And if you see them, make sure they never get back to Monaraca for a status report.
You need a comma where that period is, because the sentence is continued, and a period where the comma is, because it should end there.

Quote:
"SIR!" The crowd cried as one,
A continuation of the sentence, so you need a lower case t, or the. This includes questions and exclamations, like you've got here.

Quote:
"Uh...sir, I don't really think I'm ready to be the Squad Leader of Gamma..." he muttered, embarrassed but refusing to lower his gaze,
You need a period at the end there.

Quote:
"King Skepter will be most pleased to know this little tidbit of information," he cackled to himself,
Period there.

Quote:
"Amateurs!" The Lucario screamed tauntingly,
Lower case t, so the, and perhaps a period at the end.

Quote:
"Juno, a Lucario is strange powers is attacking the beach!" Blazewing cried as Juno climbed aboard,
You mean with? And a period, too.

Quote:
Landon paused in shock in the middle of climbing into Sivaris' back.
You need onto. I don't believe he's climbing INTO the bird's back. xD

Quote:
"Quite foolish to come alone, don't you know you will be killed very shortly?"
To me, that would sound better with a period and an upper case D, or Don't.

Quote:
The aerial warriors made their way to the ground and dismounted their partners, Standing over the Lucario's body.
You put in an upper case S. xD

Quote:
"Anyway, Black Onyx or no, he had extraordinary powers
I know what you mean, but I still think not would sound better.

Quote:
“See, Juno? This is exactly why we can’t send forces out.” the Sceptile told Juno,
If you're gonna continue that, you need a comma. =3

Quote:
“Aries…no.” Juno responded, shaking his head,
Okay, first comma, then a period.

Quote:
Juno just sighed lightly, just before a light trickle of rain started to come down from the darkened sky
You used just twice.

Quote:
“I saw your plans, Juno.” Aries said, despite how many others were watching, “I know you mean well, but…”
Comma then period.

Quote:
Alpha will head into Crimsonland alone, while Bravo will search the Silver Apex, specifically, Durantal,” Juno ersponded quickly,
That needs to be responded.

Quote:
"I know, you told me yesterday," I responded, and turned back towards hisy barracks.
That needs to be he and his, haha. ^^

You have to work on your sentence structure, I see. ^^' You use commas and periods in the wrong places, making them contradict each other.
You also seem a tad comma-happy. xD That's not a bad thing, I do it myself, but I think you could lose a few of 'em, perhaps. ^^'

AND OMG! I KNEW that medallion was bad news! And for it to be a weapon that carries powers like that that Skepter can use....urgh! You're a really horrible person, you know that? xD This is gonna end badly, I know it.

And now that Kabutops overheard everything and is gonna go back to tell Skepter...what will become of them? Aww! I'm hooked now. x3 Just you be nice!

Also great to see you playing on Landon and Zhunjai again. ^^

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links

Last edited by Gem N Ems; 09-29-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Yeah, I think Lunar Latias pretty much covered everything with the grammar stuff. Its not too bad, just proofread it one more time and I'm sure you'll catch most of these.

But man, this story brings back a lot of great memories of an awesome RP. Even though it never finished (though we pretty much had it worked out), I still can't wait to see how you write everything out. Everything that happened in that RP seems so much more vivid and easier to imagine with this story.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Send a message via AIM to Shen Send a message via MSN to Shen Send a message via Yahoo to Shen Send a message via Skype™ to Shen

Holy crap I made a lot of typos this time @_@. Thanks for the help, Gemma .

And I know exactly what you mean, Neo, just writing this up is so nostalgic x3

EDIT: As for the difference between commas and periods in dialogue sentences, in a sentence where the character keeps speaking (ie. "I win!" the man said, "Ahhh, what a sweet feeling, to pummel you so mercilessly..."), I feel that if I continue the talking part immediately after saying "so-and-so said," it's an ongoing part of speech. If I were to put an action after that, ("Finally over..." he said, dropping his gun. He bent down and picked up the device that had caused all this trouble. "This is it...?") it would be something that takes place between the first part of the dialogue and the next. If I am wrong, well, I know I still have plenty to learn anyway .

Last edited by Shen; 09-29-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:55 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

I think the way you have it is right, Shen, maybe Australians are more strict with their grammar or something xD. Did you have a lot of that typed beforehand, or do you just write really, really fast?

Anyways, good story here. Afraid I never read the original ToJs or participated in the RPs, so I'm interested.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 09-30-2009, 01:08 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Awesome chapter! I loved the shocked expression the Lucario when Juno got him. And Landon's sneak attack was awesome too.
Really not good that a spy knows their plans...and their location. oO
I guess we have to wait and see how things play out.

It looks like Gem was pretty thorough. I did see one thing that looked kinda weird to me.

Quote:
"Yeah, I suppose, but she was who saved my life after I washed up on the beach a long time ago.
Sounds like something's missing. "...but she was the one who saved..." perhaps? ^^'
Old 09-30-2009, 02:00 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
I think the way you have it is right, Shen, maybe Australians are more strict with their grammar or something xD. Did you have a lot of that typed beforehand, or do you just write really, really fast?
Excuse mmmeeee? >.> I just call 'em as I see 'em. It's how I was taught.

And no problem. ^^ Hmm.

With how I was taught, the dialogue with the speech doesn't matter so much, as it does with the sentence structure. Go look at a book for a second. You see plenty of ongoing speeches, but how many commas to indicate that? I'm gonna bet none, or only one, if that. ^^'

See, the problem with what you showed me is that it sounds wrong with a comma there. x__x You need to take a breath. Did you try saying it yourself? It needs a pause longer than what a comma can give, so a period needs to be at the end of the sentence. Um, hang on a sec...

I found something for you to read over. ^^ CLICKY!

I'm gonna take the most important one from there that applies to you as an example. =3

Quote:
If an attribution of a quoted element comes in the middle of the quotation, two commas will be required. But be careful not to create a comma splice in so doing.

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."
"I should like to buy an egg, please," she said timidly. "How do you sell them?"
See there? The first sentence has a comma because THAT is continuing a sentence, so it needs the comma and a lower case w for whether afterwards. See? Continuation.

Now this next part is what you're currently not doing, which you should, mmkay? Look carefully. See after that first part, there's the ongoing speech with a comma, then a period to indicate the end of the sentence. The new sentence starts when she talks because she is saying something new (and a longer pause is needed).

And also, just to show you books don't have it often, these are a couple of quotes from my own book, Inkheart.

Quote:
"Please!" whispered Meggie. "You must come! The people here will do bad things to you!"

"You know why I'm in a hurry," replied Mo. "For the same reason as last time."
I think this is what you're trying to do.

Quote:
"There is no need," Capricorn finally began, raising his voice, "for me to explain to most of you why the three prisoners you see here are to be punished."
See? That one needs a comma because the speech sentence is continued, right?

And tada! xD Does that make it somewhat easier for you?

Links
Old 09-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Ah, well...thanks a lot, Gemma . I actually just went through my entire fic after seeing that and corrected all the speech mistakes I made (along with a couple more typos everyone, including me, missed before) x3

I'll keep those rules in mind from now on, thanks again ^^!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Chapter 6: Before the Mission

"You just can't be serious..."

Landon looked from Sivaris to the clothing that he had in his arms. Everything was completely midnight black, made to hide him in the darkness of night. Hidden under the clothes was a can of black paint, which he would use to spray over any fur that wasn't covered by the dark clothing he now wore. It was obvious that this clothing and paint was his uniform for the mission the next day; despite the squads leaving early in the morning, it would be deep night before any of them reached their targets, or were even in danger of being spotted, hence why being invisible was a necessity.

"Does the paint on my body give you a hint?" the Staraptor responded with a chuckle. Indeed, the white feathers on his face and body were now (nearly) the same color as his other, darker feathers. His wings were held out fully extended to allow the paint to dry completely without compromising his camouflage."Landon, you knew that this would be a covert action; we cannot be seen."

Landon gave a nervous laugh. "Well, yeah, but I didn't know we were transforming into freakin' ninjas!" he said, half-joking. He let out a sigh and sat on the bed, picking up his custom Garvick pistol next to his hip. "...This is gonna be the first mission of its kind I'm gonna go on since...since I was back home, really..."

Sivaris blinked in surprise. "Wait, we went on an attack mission the other day! Did you already forget that caravan and the medallion?"

Landon shook his head, giving a small chuckle. "No, no, how could I forget? But this is different, Sivaris." Landon turned his gaze to his mount, pistol still in his hand but pointed to the ground. "The previous missions we had been on were mostly reconnaissance missions, but even the attack missions were ambushes on mobile targets to disrupt their supply lines. This...attacking a fixed position covertly...it's very different, Sivaris. I remember what it's like, but I'm afraid of screwing something up. I almost did during that mission a few years ago in the Faraway Hills."

Sivaris sighed and stepped closer, wings still spread wide. "Landon, you're not going to screw it up. I know you, you're an amazing fighter. It's the reason you're the youngest Captain in the history of the Southern Tempest, or even the Silver Apex. Believe me, you'll do a lot better than you think tomorrow."

Landon smiled and stood back up, nodding in agreement. "Yeah...Yeah, you're right. Thanks, Sivaris," he said gratefully. "We'll be ready for whatever comes our way in the mission."

"Good, good, glad to hear you agree. Now then, can we please go to bed?" Sivaris urged. "It's already dark, and we have to be up and raring to go before the sun's even fully up, so put your stuff down, get in bed, and sleeeeeep."

Chuckling once more, Landon stood up and walked over to the wall near his bed, where his SK-7TR submachine gun, saddle for riding on Sivaris' back, and multitudes of clips for his guns were stacked against the wall. He set his pistol down next to his primary weapon. "There, all set up for the morning...Oh, wait, almost forgot!" The Pikachu tugged the knife, inside the upside-down sheath, from his right shoulder, laying it down on the floor in front of the guns. "Good." That done, he gave one more look over the set-up, and walked back to his bed to grab his clothes and paint off of it and set them on the floor. Outside, Landon knew that the fifty pounds of GN11 explosives were sitting, hidden under a camouflaged tarp, ready for the morning. "I'll...put on the paint in the morning. It'd be hell to explain to Aries why my white sheets are streaked with a bunch of black, hahaha..."

He hopped up on his bed, slipping underneath the sheets. At the same time, Sivaris moved to a make-shift nest next to his rider's bed, settling down and folding his wings down against his body, now his paint was done. The lights went off, and the two Pokémon were asleep within a minute.

Outside the squad building, a Jolteon stood. This female was much darker-colored than any other member of her species; the yellow fur on her body was a very dull-looking color, and the usually white tufts were instead black, so she blended into the night very easily. A few more seconds passed before any movement could be seen from her, as she slowly, silently, crept into the building.

Barely any sound gave away her existence, she was so skilled in covertly moving around. The last thing this Pokémon wanted to do was to wake anyone unwanted up. She wanted only one. She walked through the hallway, past four other rooms where riders and their mounts peacefully slept, their bodies recharging for the following morning. If one had excellent hearing and listened very carefully, the tiniest of taps from the Jolteon's claws touching the cold stone floor might have been audible. Finally, she reached the room she was looking for in the back, the room of the squad Captain, Landon.

The room was nearly pitch dark, with only the stars from the window offering any semblance of light to the environment, but the Jolteon's black eyes could see her target as plain as daylight. She stayed put in that doorway for a few seconds before looking around some. On the right, the big Staraptor that was Landon's mount slept. He was harder to see than before, his feathers must've been painted to camouflage the big, dangerous bird. On the other side, however, the electric Pokémon could see weapons and equipment set up for a mission in the very near future.

Her curiosity of the surroundings sated, the Jolteon looked again to Landon, asleep so soundly under his covers. Still as quiet as ever, she walked forward, closer and closer to the Captain. It was only a few more seconds before she was standing next to his bed, her eyes locked on him. She just stood there, looking up at him, before making her move.

She leaned forward and nudged his arm with her nose. “Landon...Landon, can I talk to you for a little bit?” she asked softly, awaiting a response of any kind.

The Pikachu stirred with a groan at the nudge, and he quickly sat up in bed, not startled, but always cautious; besides, it hadn't been too long before he'd laid down to sleep anyway. He blinked his eyes open and looked down to the speaker. It took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the darkness, and even then, the Jolteon was hard to pick out amongst the rest of the room. Once he saw her, he recognized her. "Mythos...?" he half-yawned, rubbing his eye softly. Once her question registered in his brain, he nodded and looked at her. "Yeah, sure, no problem...What is it you wanna talk about?"

The dark-furred Jolteon smiled slightly, glad her friend was willing to talk. "Well, you know I've been away for a bit," she started, carrying on in a calm and even tone that covered up any worry she might have," And when I got back today, I heard something about a bunch of people being sent on missions, you included." Here she paused to scratch at an itch on her side with one of her hind paws, before sighing deeply and letting the worry she held deep inside cloud her face.

"From what I heard, it was supposed to be dangerous, but I wanted to get it from you, so I would know for sure," she stated, flattening her ears slightly to her skull. "And, I wanted to tell you to be careful, no matter what the mission seems like to begin with." Mythos grew silent after that, letting it sink in and closing her eyes slightly to say a silent prayer. One thing she did not want whatsoever was to wake up one day to find a friend killed in battle, so she prayed that someone would keep them from harm, since she could not watch them herself.

Landon blinked his eye in surprise at her statement. "Erm...Well, yeah, we're being sent onto missions in five groups of five: Alpha and Bravo, which would consist of ground troops, and Delta, Gamma, and Sigma, which would be aerial forces," he explained. "Unexpectedly, I was made a leader Gamma by Juno, who'd organized the whole thing. They were supposed to just be search-and-rescue missions..." The Pikachu sighed before continuing. "But that was before the Lucario attacked."

He put a paw behind his head to scratch at an offending bug. "He was with the Black Onyx Kingdom, and seemed to come out of nowhere. Too bad for him he was gunned down by nearly half our forces; he went down quick. After that, Juno decided to change the plans. Alpha and Bravo would still be doing search-and-rescue missions. However, the other three groups are now going to attack key targets of the Black Onyx Kingdom. I will be heading out with the others in Gamma to attack the Southwestern Manufacturing Plant under the cover of darkness; hence the reason I have the clothes and paint set out..." He gestured at those as he mentioned them.

"I see..." Mythos murmured softly, nodding a few times. She looked up into Landon's eye. "Just...stay safe during the mission...Please?" she asked, almost pleadingly. "The last thing I want to see is your coffin..."

"I promise I'll come back alive, Mythos, don't worry," Landon said, smiling and holding up a fist reassuringly. "I'm a capable Typhoon Runner Captain, so you won't have to worry about me. I won't be killed by any Black Onyx schmuck, and neither will Sivaris."

Mythos nodded again and turned around, walking towards the door she entered from. Pausing at the threshold, she looked back over her shoulder with a sly grin; appearing every bit the fox that she was.

"I'm a capable Typhoon Runner Captain, so you won't have to worry about me," the Jolteon mocked playfully, sticking her tongue out at her friend. "You just had to add that, didn't you?" Mythos laughed lightly, the hearty sound filling the room that had grown silent. "Well, anyway. Get some rest, Landon. Can't have you tired tomorrow, or you'll come back in a way I'm sure Zhunjai won't like. Just remember to be careful, m'kay?" And with that, she turned and exited, calling cheerfully over her shoulder a quick, 'See you tomorrow!' before disappearing down the halls towards the exit.

Landon yawned again and chuckled before laying back down on his pillow, feeling rather well now that he and Mythos had spoken; it had indeed been a while since they'd seen each other.

A yawn escaped Sivaris, revealing he was awake now. "Ngh, who was that...?" he asked sleepily.

"Mythos," Landon responded simply. "She's back from her reconnaissance mission in the Black Onyx Kingdom."

Close by outside, the dark Jolteon was making her way towards the ground-force barracks she resided in. Mythos slipped in silently, making sure she didn't disturb any of the other soldiers that occupied it, before finding her bed in the corner of the room and curling up within the shadows, disappearing to the untrained eye, and drifting into a light slumber.

In another aerial-force barracks near Landon's squadron barracks, Juno was sound asleep in his own bed. He was still and silent, but his dreams were filled with activity. Memories of his struggles against the Crimson Stars and his greatest threat, Zander, and visions of the future battles to come against this new threat posed by the Black Onyx Kingdom. Blood, pain, and death filled his minds eye...And then it was wiped away, as if some heavenly hand had banished these evil nightmares.

Now, the Gold Rider stood in the middle of a very familiar city, one he'd spent practically his whole life in during the last war. The grand capitol of the Silver Apex, Symarix. He looked up, gazing at what once was. Tall, majestic, massive...powerful, as it had been in the days of the Crimson War. But Juno knew this was a dream when reality came to him.

This was the place we met many years ago, wasn’t it, Sita?

“I’m glad to see you always remember that moment,” spoke a voice behind Juno.

The Pikachu slowly turned around to see her...the love of his life. Sita. Every time he saw this female Pikachu, she kept looking better than before. She was...magical in a way. Always his love...Always his guide. Her golden fur, her cheerful smile, her eyes...her eyes were always so beautiful...

“Listen Juno,” she told him, knowing she had to be quick. “The activities of the Black Onyx are getting more intensified. Right now, the Silver Apex and the Southern Tempest don’t have the weapons or resources to stop them. But what you don’t find here...may be found elsewhere.”

“You mean the Abyss and Utopia...” he murmured, his voice echoing softly in his ears, adding to the ethereal feeling of the dream landscape.

“There is only one entrance to the Abyss in Kivistal,” she told him. “The temple lies in the Black Onyx Industrial District. Inside is a staircase that leads all the way down to the bloody Pools of Lahtel. In the Abyss, there lies a dark pendant in the Western Deathlands city of Notched called the Night Stealer, made of a bloody chain and a bloodstone pendant of hatred, misery, and malice. Then, in The Schism’s Bone Chasm, there lies two bone bracers called Hallow and Necro, woven from the marrow of the guilty and cruel. Lastly, in the City of Dis, in one of the few remaining buildings nicknamed 'The Slaughterhouse,' is the Butcher’s Chakram, a wicked and serrated circular boomerang blade that always returns to the user having thrown it, regardless of what happens.”

“Infernal devices of the Abyss…” Juno remarked, thinking about it. "But...these devices of devilish origins...Why should I choose to use such evil creations...?"

“The Butcher’s Chakram is a purely evil weapon of holocaust and slaughter, and it would corrupt the mind and soul to wear the Night Stealer, Hallow or Necro,” Sita continued. “These three things need to be brought to the city of Innocence in Utopia to be cleansed and purified, and then blessed to become holy in nature. Innocence specializes in making powerful evil relics pure, and this is the only place where this could be done. It is the only way to make these things usable without being corrupted to their cursed will.”

Juno nodded, understanding just what the female Pikachu had told him. Still, he knew that getting all three pieces would involve a lot of pain and misery. That, and he would need to find a way to get to the Black Onyx Industrial District after the mission he would be embarking on very soon.

“Wake up. You have a mission to do now,” Sita told him, and then everything became white.

Juno's eyes flew open as he woke up suddenly. He sat up and stretched, looking out the window. it was still dark, but he could see the horizon brightening through his window. As he hopped out of bed, Blazewing stirred right next to him, stifling a yawn.

Juno knew what he had to do now. But first, the Ganson Industrial Wing needed to be the first priority. Once that was taken care of...the greater goal would be close at hand.

Last edited by Shen; 10-13-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:48 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

I'm SO glad I was able to get on today! Another great chapter, bro! ^^ You really know how to keep everything flowing together smoothly.
And I loved this part:

Quote:
"Well, yeah, but I didn't know we were transforming into freakin' ninjas!"
Made me lol. XD
I actually didn't see anything jump out at me as far as mistakes, so good job there. We'll see what Gem has to say. XD
Keep it coming. ^^
Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Syrynn Offline

Send a message via AIM to Syrynn Send a message via MSN to Syrynn

Excellent fiction.

You're following perfectly in the steps of Neo's original work (hopefully I'm not pressuring you too much here). I really enjoyed giving the first Juno tales a read, and even though this one's not by NP, I find myself drawn in just as deeply.

Your writing style reminds me some of Christopher Paolini, to be honest. If you don't know who I mean, he's the guy that wrote the Eragon books (incredible stories, by the way). You inject gobs of detail to immerse the reader in the world, and the emotions are well-balanced and palpable. Keep writing!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:50 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Quote:
Landon looked from Sivaris, to the clothing that he had in his arms
You don't need a comma there.

Quote:
it would be deep night before any of them reached their targets
a deep night? You might need an a. xD

Quote:
"...This is gonna be the first mission of it's kind I'm gonna go on since...since I was back home, really..."
You don't need an apostrophe here, it's not possessive.

Quote:
Alpha and Bravo, which would consist of ground troops, and Delta, Gamma, and Sigma, which would be aerial forces," he explained,
Period instead of a comma, please. ^^

Quote:
"Just...stay safe during the mission...Please?" she asked, almost pleadingly,
Another period there, please.

Quote:
“The Butcher’s Chakram is a purely evil weapon of holocaust and slaughter, and it would corrupt the mind and soul to wear the Night Stealer, Hallow or Necro.” Sita continued.
You need a comma at the end there.

Quote:
As he hops out of bed, Blazewing stirred right next to him, stifling a yawn
Hopped, perhaps? =3

That's all I saw. Good job. ^^

I'm excited to see how this covert mission goes, and let's hope Landon does get back safely so Zhunjai doesn't have to hit him again. XDXD

Links
Old 10-17-2009, 02:04 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Sorry I missed this, with all the preparation for that Bermuda trip and filling out college applications, I didn't realize I missed the latest update.

I love the details, and you're definitely spot-on when it comes to covering the kinds of feelings Juno has for Sita. Landon also has a really interesting character and life of his own, aspiring for the same goals Juno is going for, but in a different mindset that's interesting to follow.

Plus, you've pretty much proven ToJ works really well in third person view.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Chapter 7: The Assault Begins

"Captain Landon, what's the plan again?"

The squad of five aerial fighters and their mounts had been flying nearly the entire day now, having stopped once on an outlying island in Crescent Bay on the way to the checkpoint, and they could see the sun setting to their left, somewhat behind them. Despite having been flying for twelve hours, the five flying Pokémon all wore serious expressions, and looked to be excited the more they neared their target. Most of the day, the huge blue expanse of the sea had been rolling under them, but only a few minutes before, they had flown over the shores of the Crescent Moon.

The one-eyed Pikachu looked back at the inquisitive Elekid (garbed entirely in black, so it was hard to see his eye at first). "We're to make our way into the heart of the District without being discovered," he said, words muffled by the black fabric covering his mouth. "There, we'll find the comm tower. That will need to be destroyed immediately, a task which I have left to you, Korin. Once that is taken out, we will split off and proceed to eliminate our different high-priority targets within the Manufacturing Plant. Make the explosions take them out in a way that will eliminate anything inside that could be useful. Remember, no one can see you. You have your guns, so if you are spotted, take them out immediately. We cannot risk them discovering we are with the Southern Tempest or the Silver Apex, so make absolutely sure you are not captured either. Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir!" came four replies at once. Satisfied, Landon looked back to the front, his eye flicking up to glance at the sky, which was slowly darkening more and more as the sun descended from view of the world...

An hour later, the sky was a deep, dark blue, and the stars were twinkling far away in the heavens above. With the surroundings so dark, it was impossible to miss that collection of bright lights on the horizon, growing closer and closer the further the squad flew. The Southwest Manufacturing District.

It didn't take the squad very long to reach the airspace above the District, and they were high enough that, even with the light pollution from below, they were nearly impossible to spot. One thing they were relieved about was that they did not see any spotlights to protect themselves from an air raid, so this would make their job even easier. Landon looked around for only a moment before spotting the communications tower, right in the heart of the district. It was incredibly hard to miss once someone looked for it since it was the tallest building in the entire area. Several dishes and antennae branched off the top, while around the middle, a large spherical structure with several windows showed where the Pokémon who worked there did their jobs.

The five aerial soldiers converged in the air above the comm tower, circling the top antenna for a moment. Landon gave a nod to the ninja-garbed Elekid, and he dove on his Swellow, the string for his first set of explosives already in paw. Landon watched Korin descend to the base of the tower...and land, against the plan Landon had clearly told him before taking off that morning! Furious, the Captain snatched the radio from his belt and held his pawfinger down hard on the button on the radio's side. "Korin, you idiot!" he hissed into the receiver. "I told you to let the G11 explosive packs stick to the sides of the tower's base and supports as you flew by!"

"I apologize, Captain Landon..." came the whispered reply. "I wanted to make sure the explosives were properly set so that this could be done efficiently and as safely for us as possible."

Landon shook his head in his exasperation. "Korin, I already told you! This is combat demolitions! It's not about safety, it's about blowing the unholy CRAP outta things!"

There was a few seconds of silence before the radio buzzed again. "Understood, sir. Explosives are set, returning to Rally Point Alpha."

Landon replaced the radio on his belt and looked back down, barely able to make out the shape of the Elekid, illuminated by the street lights on the ground, running back to his Swellow and taking to the sky. And not a moment too soon. One of the Black Onyx Kingdom's large, angular APCs drove by only a moment later. Korin barely made it into the sky without being spotted.

Once the Elekid and his Swellow rejoined the circling squad, Landon was silent for a couple more seconds. "Now, Korin," Landon began, speaking up this time, "When I give the order to pursue our individual targets, you will wait four seconds before detonating the charges. With the supports gone, and the base severely damaged, gravity will work its magic and remove our biggest threat to this attack. Everyone, remember what I said about combat demolitions, I won't repeat myself again. You will all maintain a strict radio silence unless it is a life and death situation. Take out the targets and anyone you see, we give no quarter, no prisoners, no retreat. If you see them, they die. Do you all understand?"

"Yes, sir!" This simultaneous reply was quieter than their last one, but it held the same serious tone.

Landon nodded once, and ducked low to Sivaris' back. "Disperse!"

The flyers immediately split off in five different directions at once, losing sight of each other after only a couple seconds. Another couple seconds later, a huge explosion ripped the base and supports of the comm tower to absolute shreds. The shriek of metal rending split the air, before the entire complex of concrete, metal, and high-tech machinery all collapsed upon itself, leaving nothing remaining of the Pokémon and what they did there, save for a pile of smoking rubble, and the cloud of dust rising high into the air from the destruction.

Landon's ears perked for a few seconds. All was quiet, until, finally, he heard it; that loud, blaring siren, letting everyone in the entire District know that there was an air raid. He had suspected this would happen, and that's why his unit was trained in combat demolitions; they weren't a secretive covert-ops squad, like Delta, they were Gamma, and they worked hard and fast at what they did. Landon took a tighter grip on the cord holding the first set of explosives on Sivaris' belly as they neared their target, the huge munitions factory.

It was a tall, long, rectangular building with three smokestacks sticking out of the roof, one on either end, and the third in the middle, all spewing out the black smoke that signified the production of the War Machine. The factory would be absolutely packed with explosives, bullets, and munitions of all kinds that would only make Landon's job all that much easier. Sivaris swooped down low over the roof, turning on his side. As his belly passed by the first smokestack, Landon pulled on the cord in his paw hard. "First charge away!" he yelled, and one of the G11 explosives was let loose from Sivaris' belly, falling away and smacking against the side of the massive chimney, where it stuck and primed for detonation upon impact. Sivaris didn't alter his flight pattern, flying all the way across the roof until they passed by the third smokestack, at which time Landon pulled on another string and let loose the second charge, smirking with satisfaction at the sound of it sticking in place. Sivaris immediately angled upwards, jetting high into the sky. Landon waited a few more seconds, before jamming his thumb on the detonator.

Two explosions tore through the roof of the factory, causing the two smokestacks to start falling into the roof, and also causing a chain reaction throughout the factory. All the oil, gunpowder, and explosives that were being created and processed throughout the building were set ablaze all at once. More and more explosions joined the first two, rocketing through the factory with surprising speed and force. The building was decimated in a few short seconds.

"Perfect!" Landon said with a grin. "That's one down, two to go. And hell, for all they know, the same thing could have happened if there was an accident and that flammable stuff inside was set alight, hehe."

Soon, that harmonious sound of distant explosions echoed throughout the district, adding to the cacophony of the air raid sirens. Suddenly, bright lights burst from the ground, each sending up a bright beam into the air. The spotlights began searching around for the attackers in the sky, but they were having a hard time finding Landon or anyone else in Gamma, all due to their black paint and outfits. Nonetheless, Landon pulled out his SK-7TR submachine gun and attached the silencer in preparation for the attack he knew was coming. In the meantime, he had Sivaris angle towards their second target, the motor pool, a collection of buildings and a flat expanse of concrete where combat vehicles, APCs, tanks, and other such machines, were kept until needed and activated.

It wasn't too much longer before one of those beams of intense light found Landon and Sivaris in the sky; it passed by them for a split second before doubling back, the operator having found them by absolute luck. Landon cursed under his breath as a second, and then a third spotlight illuminated him in the dark night sky. Acting quickly, Landon whipped his SK-7TR out and aimed quickly at the first spotlight, pressing the trigger and launching a volley of bullets at it. The sound of glass shattering could barely be heard by the Pikachu as the spotlight was taken out, and he dealt with the second and the third in similar short order.

"Landon!" Sivaris hissed, causing his rider to look forward. In front of them, the shapes of three Royal Enforcers could be seen jetting through the sky at them.

"Damn, too late..." Landon muttered; he'd attempted to delay any retaliation by Royal Enforcers by taking out the spotlights quick enough, but the ones flying at them could definitely see them in the glare of the fires coming from the District below. A moment later, the tell-tale sounds of gunfire reached their ears, and Sivaris took the split-second he had to react, spinning once while angling downward in a dive. Bullets split the air behind them.

The Royal Enforcers gave chase, weapons blazing in their attempts to take out the raiders quickly, but Sivaris and Landon were too skilled for that. The Staraptor weaved back and forth in the air as he held his dive, allowing the pursuers to slowly gain on them; for most, a foolish attempt, but for a Southern Tempest Typhoon Runner, an opportunity. As the ground raced up at Sivaris, he greatly angled his wings, causing his body to sharply level off; if Landon hadn't been strapped to the saddle on Sivaris' back, it's very possible he could have been thrown off from the sheer G-force assaulting his body.

The maneuver had the desired effect on one of the Royal Enforcers. A Flaafy and her Altaria slammed into the ground, leaving nothing but a crater, a puddle of blood, and some remains. The other two were able to avoid disaster, continuing their pursuit of the target.

Landon gazed ahead of them, and then tapped Sivaris' back. "Hey, angle away to the right."

"What?!" the bird Pokémon asked incredulously. "That could open us up for attack!"

"We're heading towards the residential part of the District," the rider explained. "I may be a soldier, but I will not slaughter civilians, even ones of the Black Onyx. Vector about ninety degrees to the right. I'm positive you can avoid any hornet's nest they send at us."

Sivaris gave a smirk in response and nodded. "Alright then, hang on!" The Staraptor flapped his wings to gain some speed, and then angled them and turned to the right.

The Royal Enforcers pounced on the opportunity, and opened fire in Sivaris' path. As he turned sharply, he also angled his wings down a little, causing them to drop even closer to the ground to avoid the bullets. Once his path straightened out, he flapped his wings quickly to gain much more altitude. Landon glanced behind them and noted the Royal Enforcers were hot on their tail, and seemed to be gaining, albeit slowly. He tapped Siveris' back again, and gave only a smirk and a nod.

"Now!"

The Staraptor then executed an incredibly dangerous move. He immediately curled his wings in on himself and somersaulted forward through the air, while at the same moment, harshly angling his tailfeathers, causing him to turn around in midair. This roll-turn was so quick and smoothly executed that he literally stopped in midair for the split-second that it took to execute the maneuver. Once he was facing the opposite way, he opened his wings and slammed them against his body, rocketing the Typhoon Runner duo forward. This maneuver was one that both Landon and Sivaris prided themselves on, because most, if not all, others who attempted this had their riders thrown clear off their mounts, with or without straps, with such a great force that there was absolutely little hope for them to survive an impact; some even died from the G-forces crushing their bodies in mid-air.

The two Royal Enforcers were so absolutely surprised and stunned at the sudden change of direction that their rate of fire faltered, and Landon immediately opened fire on one of them. The Charmander and his mount were riddled with bullets, causing them to fall to the ground and hit it hard, rolling together in one bloody mess before slamming into the wall of a building.

With only one Royal Enforcer following them, Sivaris found it easier to get away from his pursuer without having to take into account the possible paths of fire multiple opponents could catch them with. He flew higher and higher into the sky, almost leaving the enemy far behind. However, the Azumarill and his Altaria were relentless, keeping on Sivaris' tail as long as he could see him.

"Come on, lets go get that motor pool," Landon murmured. His mount gave an affirmative nod, and he changed his path a little towards their sighted target. With another flap of his wings, he dove on the collection of vehicles.

In a matter of seconds, the Staraptor was zipping by above the tops of inactive tanks and APCs, while Landon took hold of the several strings attaching the explosives to his mount's body. However, with that one last Royal Enforcer following them, Sivaris was forced to go even lower, weaving between and by the many vehicles in his attempts to shake his pursuer, but to no avail. Every turn, every maneuver, was imitated by the pursuing Altaria. The Typhoon Runners were getting increasingly agitated, but they kept a cool air to avoid any hasty mistakes. Landon was able to release three explosives at strategic parts of the parking lot of the motor pool in a way that would affect the most vehicles possible without spreading too thin or using too many of his charges. Finally, all that was left was to set one or two in the building, and the tanks of gas and oil would take care of the rest.

Sivaris flew for the building, making a straight shot for it instead of the weaving path he took before. Landon looked back and opened fire on the Azumaril, causing his Altaria to take evasive maneuvers to avoid being shot; this cost them valuable time and distance. However, they were still too close for Landon's taste. As an idea struck him, he looked to the front, seeing the garage-like doors Sivaris was aiming for. He opened fire, holding the trigger down and weakening the face of the structure enough for the Staraptor to punch through it.

Once inside the building, Landon immediately pulled on another string, causing a fourth charge to fall to the ground, sticking to the concrete floor and priming for detonation. Seconds later, the Royal Enforcer flew through the hole in the door, immediately opening fire on Sivaris and Landon. The Staraptor surged in another direction, rising upwards in the high-ceilinged building. Landon pulled a fifth string, dropping another charge as they neared a window. As Sivaris smashed through the window, Landon clicked the detonator.

Explosions ripped through the motor pool, causing a multitude of vehicles to explode, which alone caused further explosions from other nearby vehicles. The building quaked as the two charges inside it detonated, the explosive heat and force blasting through the walls. The heat and force slammed into the barrels of oil and huge tanks of gas, causing them to burst as well. As the building exploded, the Royal Enforcer flew through the same window Sivaris did, only for the fire and heat to engulf them. There were two brief, simultaneous screams of agony, and the blackened bodies fell to the ground, never to move again.

Sivaris panted with the effort of the firefight and escape they'd just gone through, while Landon was grinning from ear to ear. "Hehe, no one messes with Sivaris of the Typhoon Runners! Way t'go, buddy, that was some awesome flying back there!"

"Hehe, thanks...Landon," Sivaris said between breaths, gaining a little altitude once more. He used thermals to help, allowing him a moment to gain his breath and energy back for the next bombing run.

"Captain!" someone above them yelled, and the one-eyed Pikachu looked up to see the forgetful Elekid, Korin, flying down on his Swellow. The nozzle of his PK-2 was still smoking from a recent firefight.

Landon smiled. "Hey, Korin, how's your attack coming along?"

The Elekid saluted officially, while his Swellow hovered in midair next to Sivaris. "All of my targets were eliminated, sir. We were pursued afterwards by Royal Enforcers, but both were taken out. I must compliment, sir, you did a great job with the last enemy!"

Landon nodded. "Well, it helped that he was focused on us. He didn't even notice the bombs were set and ready for detonation, I bet."

Korin grinned. "That's the problem with Royal Enforcers these days, always focused on killing their targets one by one, and never taking much notice of anything else. One following me earlier even smacked into a wall."

The Captain laughed at that. "Wow. What was he, a Psyduck?"

"Yep."

That got both soldiers, as well as their mounts, laughing again. "Well, let's finish up here then; I just wanna get the hell out of here before anything else bad happe-"

Landon was cut off as Korin and his Swellow were torn apart by a swarm of bullets. Both rider and mount plummeted into the fires below.

"Korin! What the hell was that?!" The one-eyed Pikachu looked around at where the bullets might've come from. The trajectory seemed to be from the ground, so there was little evidence leading to the identity of who or what had just killed Korin without any warning. Meanwhile, Sivaris jerked and swerved through the air as more bullets blazed at him, rising higher and higher into the air to get out of range; his wings were already pierced twice, with an additional wound sustained to one of his talons, but he grunted and shrugged it off, focusing only on avoiding any more damage. Landon was finally able to take a moment to judge the direction the bullets were firing from, and he glanced down. A gasp escaped from his throat, an icy terror spreading through his limbs and seizing him up. "By the Original One Himself..."

Down below, visible in the fires of the motor pool, was the most lethal and terrifying war machine every devised. A Mox Assault Engine.

Sivaris flapped his wings frantically, gaining more and more altitude, slowly climbing out of range of the Mox Assault Engine's enormous gattling gun, or any of the smaller mounted machine guns on its body. Soon, as they continued to climb, a realization came over Landon...

They were prepared...They were waiting for us...

Last edited by Shen; 10-30-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:03 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

All that success...to be torn down like that after. oO
That was an awesome chapter, bro. You always manage to fill the description perfectly. Poor Korin. That was awful. *shakes head*
You've got me on the edge of my seat.

Time to kill typos.

Quote:
"We're to make our way into the heart of the District without being discovered," he says, words muffled by the black fabric covering his mouth.
said

Quote:
One of the Black Onyx Kingdom's large, angular APCs drove only a moment later.
Doesn't make sense. Should it be "drove by"?

Quote:
Once inside the building, Landon immediately pulled on another strong, causing a fourth charge to fall to the ground, sticking to the concrete floor and priming for detonation.
Quote:
Landon pulled a fifth strong, dropping another charge as they neared a window.
string ^^'

Nothing major from me. Was too busy reading. ^^