Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Send a message via AIM to Shen Send a message via MSN to Shen Send a message via Yahoo to Shen Send a message via Skype™ to Shen
Default Re: The Trial of Juno: United in Arms

Hah, thanks for the positive reviews again, guys :3 And thank you, k_pop, for pointing those mistakes out. How the hell did I use that word three times in the same sentence? o0
Old 11-30-2008, 03:40 PM
SuperBoy Offline

Send a message via AIM to SuperBoy

I don't know why I'm so excited, but maybe it's because I was finally able to read the second chapter! It was superb, and I love the use of vivid description in this one. The way you portray Juno doesn't pull away from his natural character that Neo developed at all. So, that gives readers the chance to really get behind Juno and experience what he is experiencing again, especially since their is no major change.

As for Landon, well...you know I absolutely love Landon. :3 Seriously though, keep up the great work, because I'm definitely loving how you're portraying Denathos. He was you character, and you definitely understand him.

I await more, pal.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Send a message via AIM to Shen Send a message via MSN to Shen Send a message via Yahoo to Shen Send a message via Skype™ to Shen

Author's Notes: Sorry this took so long. BTW, this chapter has a song to go with it: Fierce Battle

Chapter 3: Raid

The attack began hard, fast, and of course, unexpected. There was mass confusion among their ranks as a rain of bullets razed them. Juno and Dehn took out the whole front line of infantry soldiers in their first pass, without a single shot being returned their way. The surprise attack was a huge success to begin with, and now the only thing to do was to keep it going and try to get rid of them all before they could retaliate. Juno, on his first pass around, managed to sneak a look at Landon.

Landon flew Sivaris hard and fast, his aim perfect as he unloaded a full clip into the nearest group of enemies. They were ground troops, not trained to efficiently fight aerial attacks, and were easy prey for the death-dealing creature Landon had become in the heat of battle. His glare spoke of many horrible things to the Black Onyx troops, and it made Juno shiver in an inkling of fear. Of course he would be like this against the Black Onyx; they took his family, home, everything away from him, and he was still so young. It was a terrible sight to behold.

Juno could not distract himself from the battle any longer as Blazewing flew down at another batch of soldiers. He aimed his GN-KAL and mercilessly fired upon them. Most saw him coming, and dove out of the way. Half were unharmed but the others weren’t so fortunate, and were killed. As he passed, the remaining soldiers opened fire upon him. Blazewing easily dodged them, using a combination of barrel rolling and using her Psychic abilities to deflect and stop bullets she could not so easily avoid with a simple maneuver.

Suddenly, shots opened up on their left, and they only barely avoided them by diving. The Royal Enforcers were finally in the sky. Juno gritted his teeth, and urged Blazewing into battle.

Maura and Zeb, despite never being able to get along, were quite the deadly duo. Maura would fire from her own GN-KAL as much as she would leap right into a group of enemies and flay them alive with her claws. Meanwhile, Zeb would use his Psychic abilities to lay waste to the caravan itself. The rear three trucks were his first victims. Using Luster Purge and Psychic, the trucks were rent, torn apart, and thrown aside by no visible force. The ones within the trucks were not spared. When the group was completely dead, Zeb would swoop down, allowing Maura to quickly jump onto his back, and they’d fly away to avoid the withering fire the enemy was returning.

Blazewing and two Royal Enforcers weaved in and out of each other’s paths, looking for that precious opening they could use to take their opponent out. Juno had to admit, they were really good. That meant he had to take care of them quickly, or this would not bode well for him. So he and Blazewing executed a daring maneuver, twisting and turning all around, making sharp turns to try and get behind their pursuers. It was very dangerous move, because not only could Juno get thrown from Blazewing’s back if he wasn’t strapped in tight enough, but if they became disoriented enough, they would open themselves up to attack. However, Juno and Blazewing proved they weren’t greenhorns, and flawlessly carved a beautiful pattern through the sky. The Royal Enforcers weren’t so proficient, however, and became dizzy…easy prey for the Gold Rider. Their bloody corpses fell from the sky.

Things weren’t going totally well for the group, however…

Poor Faering had been found by a group of Royal Enforcers, and five Altaria and their riders endlessly pursued her and her Pidgeot. Try as she might, she could not find a way to get a bead on a single one, nor could she shake them. She began to panic, making her Pidgeot do wilder, more dangerous maneuvers, just in an effort to get away. “H-help me!” she cried.

Help arrived, in the form of Dehn. He and his Swellow dove at the group of pursuers and opened fire, taking out two before they could scatter. “Yeahaha! Take that, ya damn flonkies!” he cried, calling out another one of his nonsense names, “Ya can’t catch me!”

As if to challenge his claim, another group of six Royal Enforcers suddenly rose to meet him in the sky. Still smirking with an overconfident air, he had his Swellow turn around and fly towards them, his weapon blazing with bursts of bullets. He flew into a hornet’s nest of bullets, barely dodging most of them as he took down three more Royal Enforcers. “Told ya, ya vermin! I can’t be touched!”

He was still grinning as he fell from the sky on his Swellow, his body riddled with bullet holes.

“Dehn!” Landon cried, winging around on Sivaris to help out Faering, “Dammit, that pompous fool!” He gritted his teeth as he aimed with perfect precision at the remaining Royal Enforcers that had shot Dehn down, and took them out. However, another three Royal Enforcers took their place, coming up behind them. “What the-“ Landon choked before having Sivaris execute a barrel roll to avoid ending up like Dehn. There’s way too many for a simple caravan…Both ground troops and Royal Enforcers, there’s just way too many… he realized, What the hell are they transporting…?

Whatever it was, it seemed to be too important to lose, because the remaining contingent of ground troops, all five of them, were busy soaking the trucks with gasoline, inside and out. Faering, noticing this, gripped her rifle and had her Pidgeot dive at them. She opened fire, though her hand was noticeably shaking a little, in fear or nervousness, it was not known. Still, she missed her targets multiple times, striking one down.

The Royal Enforcer came up behind her before anyone had noticed, and fired upon her. Most bullets missed the skilled Pidgeot, but it only ever takes one, and that one clipped her right wing, snapping the fragile bone, and sending the two careening into the trucks and enemies on the ground. She was lost in an explosion of fire.

“Faering!” Juno yelled, his heart sinking; two of the group had already lost their lives, and there were still a group of Royal Enforcers left, not to mention the caravan was practically lost in the explosion, nothing left salvageable. Still, he decided to scavenge whatever they could out of this. At the very least, the Black Onyx Kingdom would not be using whatever it was the caravan was transporting.

Landon’s fury at the Royal Enforcers grew with their slaughter of Faering, who was in his squad, and a valuable asset. Rashly, he urged Sivaris into their midst, and he fired, unforgiving, at them. He was too close to dodge by now, and three of the five were eliminated without too much trouble. The remaining two split as he passed, then pursued him, their rain of bullets not giving him any room for error.

Juno watched with awe as Sivaris gave the Royal Enforcers the chase of their lives, never giving them too much of an opening. However, his and Landon’s wound were beginning to take a toll, the maneuvers slowly becoming sluggish, and if it continued, then this battle would end soon, and not very favorably. Still, there was little he could do to help at that distance, all he could hope for was that Blazewing could catch up to them in time.

Landon grunted as a bullet pierced his shoulder, blood spurting as the wound exploded from his skin. His eye shut in pain, he decided it was time to end it. “You know what to do, Sivaris. Now!” At his urging, Sivaris opened his wings, immediately slowing him down, and causing the two Royal Enforcers to zip passed them. Confused, the Royal Enforcers looked back, just as Landon opened fire. One was taken down, and the other received a similar shoulder wound as Landon.

Panic etched on his face, the Royal Enforcer had his Altaria turn around and high tail it out of there. Landon wasn’t one to let a Royal Enforcer go, and orders were to let no one escape anyway. Since Faering couldn’t be around anymore to take care of this task, it fell to Landon to finish the job. One problem arose, however…he was now out of bullets.

Putting his weapon back in the holster on Sivaris’ side, Landon grabbed the hilt of the knife upside down on his shoulder and pulled down, sliding the knife out of the sheath. He flipped the blade around to a better hold as he urged Sivaris faster and faster. The chase grew relentless, but Sivaris proved once and for all that a Staraptor is faster and more agile than an Altaria in combat. Especially when that Altaria falters for a split second in that chase.

The Altaria was growing tired, and missed a wing stroke by pure bad luck on his part, and that was all the room Sivaris needed. He blasted past the Altaria, his deadly curved beak slicing a huge gash along the Altaria’s side. The Altaria tumbled around in the air, thrashing in pain, before falling from the sky, blood trailing in its path. The rider, an Azumarill, was thrown from his back, his weapon lost from his grip, and he lost his mind as he began tumbling to his death.

But Landon wasn’t giving him the opportunity to live that much longer. He threw himself from Sivaris’ back, raising his knife high. Landon slammed feet-first into the Azumarill’s chest, and brought the blade down to the hilt in his heart. The screaming stopped. Landon jerked the blade from his lifeless body and pushed off. Sivaris flew under him and caught him before flying back towards the group. Just like they had practiced.

As Sivaris and Landon rejoined the others, Maura gave her Captain an indifferent look. Juno, however, was astounded. “Landon, your fighting was amazing…I haven’t seen something like that since the Crimson War, and even then…” He shook his head. “But why did a young guy like you turn out like that?”

Landon looked at Juno, and the Gold Rider saw reflected in that one dark, black eye a lifetime of sadness and pain. “I can’t be merciful, Juno…My childhood, my family, my home…everything was taken from me by the Black Onyx. I can’t let up, not for one minute, Juno…I can’t allow them to take what I have left from me. So I defend it beyond the best of my abilities, if I can." He sighed. “I just hope that this war, this suffering…can end, and everything will be all right someday soon…”

“Don’t worry too much, kid,” Juno reassured his companion. “We’ll finish it, and stop all the madness. Now,” he said, returning his attention to the burning caravan below, “We might as well go down and look to see if anything’s salvageable enough to take back to Aries…”

The group flew down slowly, exhausted after the battle. It didn’t last long, but there were many enemies, and two of the five had lost their lives. Whatever the caravan had been carting, it had to be worth the time, effort, and lives…at least, they hoped so.

Finally landing, Landon and Juno got off their mounts and walked towards the nearest truck, the one at the rear; Maura opted to stay behind to watch over the mounts, but she demanded that Zeb go somewhere else, not being able to stand being near him outside of battle. After a quick search through the smoldering remains, they determined that nothing was salvageable. They went to the next truck, and the truck after, and discovered similar results lay within. A little disheartened, they checked the last truck, the one that was at the front.

“What is that?” Landon asked.

“Your guess is as good as mine, Landon…”

While the contents within were the same as the other trucks, there was one open box that had something different within. Shining in the late afternoon light, the elaborate medallion sat on velvet lining, both unmarred by the flames or smoke. There wasn’t anything visibly significant about the medallion suggesting any protection it could have against damage, but the proof lay in the pristine condition of the platinum surface. The circular medallion depicted a trident pointing down, with flames around it; Juno recognized the creepy design as Skepter’s standard. He seemed to have a thing for the dark, evil things in life.

“What protected it from the fires, I wonder?” Landon muttered, reaching out for the medallion.

“Landon, wait!” Juno hissed. He was too late, and Landon grasped the medallion.

The one-eyed Pikachu gasped, his good eye wide and dilated. Landon’s body seized up, as if electricity was running between him and the medallion, electricity so intense that it caused instant paralysis. Juno sprung on the hand holding the medallion, trying to wrest it from his grip. At first it would not yield, Landon’s grip on it too strong, but eventually, he was able to slide it out, and toss it aside.

For the instant that Juno touched the medallion, he felt something…incredibly evil about the medallion. Greater than any he felt before, greater than Zander, or any of the Crimson Stars…

Landon gasped for breath and shook his head. He swallowed. “Wh…what the hell was that…”

“I honestly can’t answer that, Landon…” Juno muttered.

The group gathered back together, and, after a quick discussion, decided it was best that they all head back to the Azure Islands and report to Aries that the caravan was destroyed, nothing was salvageable. There was little else they could do. Climbing on their mounts, they all shot into the air and headed south to the sea. Behind them, the medallion flickered in the slowly setting sun.

Landon seemed to be feeling much better now, even smiling again and laying back against Sivaris to show he was relaxed, but Juno couldn’t help but wonder…why had the medallion affected Landon so much more than himself…?

Last edited by Shen; 04-22-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:08 PM
skiboydoggy Offline

Send a message via AIM to skiboydoggy

Gwahahahaha!
I see dead people.
And aerial melee combat is always awesome.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

I agree with ski, aerial combat is awesomeness.

Another fantastic chapter, you've got to update more often, because this stuff just rocks! And you've done a pretty good job with Juno's character, I'd have to say.

Kudos to you, amigo.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

That was an intense battle! And yes I'll be the third to say it, aerial combat rocks!
That medallion has me wondering...

Now, to kill some typos. ^^

Quote:
Their bloody corpses feel from the sky.
Umm..."fell"?

Quote:
now could she shake them.
Should that be "nor"?
Old 12-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Heh, thanks, guys, I will try to update more often. I might be able to pop out another chapter or two before I go home on Wednesday. In fact, I should try :3

I dunno how you find every little mistake, k_pop, but you're an amazing proof-reader. I'm gonna have to make you my betaer someday xD;
Old 12-10-2008, 05:26 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Heh. I just wish I could proofread my own stuff as well as everyone says. ^^'
Old 12-18-2008, 01:41 AM
Bay Offline
Master Trainer

So sorry for not reading this eariler...been busy. -_- Well, I'm here so lets get started!

Chapter One
So I assume Landon's going to be the main character? I say his backstory is quite an interesting start. I was like "woah!" with the action going on (which I was not confused, luckily ^^; )

A couple things one. One, aren't Ground type Pokemon resistant to Thunder attacks? Even if Landon produces the most powerful Thunder in the world, I don't think it would hurt Ground Pokemon one bit.

Quote:
Jun and his mount were absolutely stunned; just who was this Pikachu? Before they could ponder or retaliate, Landon grabbed the still smoking spear from the Raichu’s dead body and displayed the awesome speed of his Agility, rushing forward in a split second to shove the spear through both the Altaria and the Marowak.
I kind of find it iffy to use awesome in the narration, makes it seem as if the narrator is saying, "Landon is awesome because of his Agility attack!" Perhaps "inhuman rapid speed" sounds better.

Chapter Two
Woot for Juno! XD Yeah, I too think you did well with his character. Tell you the truth I'm a bit iffy on fictions that features characters from other stories as it would be hard to keep them in character, but you did fine in that aspect. Also, interesting on the plan Juno is going for and also can't wait to see how well of a commander Landon will be.
Quote:
For ten agonizing minutes, the caravan rumbled down the road. Landon watched them from his hidden position, and his gaze narrowed. They’ve got Royal Enforcer protection…He gripped his SK-7TR submachine gun a little harder, resisting the temptation to lash out at them prematurely. Oh, how he wished he could bring justice to them, those murderous bastards…
Again, that bolded part I felt it's a bit iffy in the narration. Perhaps it's better if that's in Landon's mind? To me, narration and going very deep on what Character A thinks of Character B should be more clearer so that it doesn't make it seem the narrator is boasting the main character, etc.

Chapter Three
The aeral combat, though a bit confusing (hard to keep track who's battling who, but every battle is like that! XD; ), it'still awesome. :D I have to say though, poor Dehn! This is what he gets for being too overconfident! =O

Hm, the medallion's interesting. I bet there's something more to it than meets the eye...

Wanna say something real quick, though. I can understand Landon's rage is from that battle eariler from Chapter One, but I hope he won't be like that for the rest of the story. Don't really wanna make this like as if I'm telling you how to develop your character, but I hope eventually either he gets over it or he suddenly becomes worst. Your call. ^^;

So far, very interesting. I know that this is based off from the RP, but I guess the events are an AU of the middle of the second Juno saga? Can't wait to see where this goes. I hope I'll be able to review the next chaapter. ^^

+Nothing, Everything+

Chapter Thirteen: It's All a Contest up (12/28/08)
Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I just love it when people really like my writings :3 (Yes, this is a late response, sorry; I've been VERY busy lately).

Also, Bay, my narration style is losely based a tiny bit off of the style seen in many Redwall books, mixed in with my own personal ways. It's fun, and it honestly does make me feel closer to my main characters, which btw are just going to be Landon and Juno (I know there were many more people involved in the RP this was based off of, but I had to make a decision to keep myself sane while writing this ). I liked it when Brian Jaques did it, and I wanted to try my hand. So far, I think I'm doing a decent job.

I apologize to my avid readers that are patiently waiting for ch. 4. I've been busy getting ready to come home from Ft. Gordon, and that took a whole lot more work than I thought o.0. However, I am now home, so things will be much easier ^^. I'm writing it as we speak, and I want to have it finished by tomorrow, so I'll try my best to have it up. Thanks again for all the support, guys, its really helpful :3
Old 12-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Bay Offline
Master Trainer

Hm, to tell the truth hadn't read the Redwall books. ^^; Hm, I can understand you want to get close to your characters (which is actually awesome), but IMO using adjectives like great to describe your characters in narration still irks me a bit. DON'T WORRY THOUGH! For the most part I like your writing style, so the narration compliant is just a small one.

Again, can't wait for the next chapter, though. :)

+Nothing, Everything+

Chapter Thirteen: It's All a Contest up (12/28/08)
Old 09-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Chapter 4: Return

A sigh escaped the young Pikachu’s lips. Sivaris, gliding on a thermal, turned his head around to look at his rider. “Doin' alright back there, Landon?” he asked.

The Pikachu nodded, looking off to the side, as if observing an odd cloud shape. “Yeah, I’m fine,” he responded finally. “My shoulder’s a little sore from that bullet yesterday, but it’s nothing; war and pain goes hand in hand, after all.”

Sivaris smirked in his knowing way. “Landon, I know that the medallion’s still bothering you…”

Landon looked at his partner. His attitude had definitely changed a lot more than how he was immediately after taking off. “Sivaris, if you felt what I felt, you’d understand. I’ve never felt a force like that…ultimate despair, darkness…It was just horrible…”

The Staraptor shook his head. “Landon, come on, you’re better than that. Juno buried it, so it’s done and over with. Just focus on the fact that it all was a success, despite the fact we lost two warriors to that bloodbath…”

“Yeah…Yeah, you’re right,” Landon replied, his expression changing slightly. “I’m a soldier. If I let myself be consumed by thoughts like these, or dwelling on the deaths of other soldiers, I’m useless in battle.” A grin slowly slid across his muzzle. “This is nothing.”

Sivaris smiled and looked forward again. “There we go, that’s the Landon I know.” He flapped his wings twice, drawing up near Juno and Blazewing as the six flew south towards the Azure Islands. Landon seemed back to his usual self, having praised Sivaris for his exceptional flying skills he used in the battle.

Sivaris laughed. "I just carry you in the air, Landon. You're the one doin' the other half of the work. Nice aim, by the way; that Azumarill didn't know what hit 'im."

The Pikachu smiled and ran his hand through his spiky hair. "Yeah...but that was about the only freebie I got; I wouldn't have wasted so many bullets if that many Royal Enforcers weren't there...man, that Altaria the Azumarill had could really fly. Almost a match for you, Sivaris...almost."

He grinned back at Landon. "Damn straight."

Meanwhile, some distance behind the two, Maura and Zeb flew along silently, scowls locked on their faces; they resented having to spend an extended amount of time together, especially if there wasn't any fighting enemies involved. But other than her usual contempt for her Latios mount, Maura was thinking to herself about her squad Captain, Landon. Whenever I see him on the islands, he's always so cheerful and happy, or at least calm. But once he enters a battlefield...He's completely different, thought the Weavile to herself. Why does he get so serious and battle-hardened when fighting the Black Onyx, I wonder... Her questions would go unanswered, as usual. She did, however, make a silent oath to discover who Landon really was one day, that happy Pikachu, or the experienced soldier.

Then, Zeb decided he should voice his own thoughts to his partner. "Maura, in the battle, you were reckless," he remarked. "Not only did you draw fire towards me often, but you could have jeopardized the mission if you were any less careful. You need to make sure that you-"

"Oh, shut your trap, Psycho," Maura interrupted. "I don't need to be preached to about my battle techniques by someone like you. For Arceus' sake, you're an aerial battler, and I do my fighting on the ground, so you don't even have the right. Now, as usual, I prefer silence from you, rather than your irritating voice. So shut it!" With that, she sent back to her silent fuming.

Zeb's scowl returned double as he continued his flight in silence, Maura's insulting name still stinging him. My name is not Psycho...

The flight felt shorter than the trip to the ambush site for the six Pokémon, due to the battle ending in somewhat of a success, so their spirits were up. Within an hour, the Azure Islands were visible on the horizon, and grew more and more as they came closer. It was only a matter of minutes afterwards that Juno circled around and led the squad towards the landing pad, a smoothed-out section of sand in the middle of the largest island. Down below, Aries stood by as he watched the flying Pokémon return home.

Juno hopped off of Blazewing's back and looked towards the Sceptile, nodding in greeting. Maura and Landon stepped up next to the Gold Rider and saluted, which Aries returned. "So, Juno...report?"

Juno stepped forward once. "As expected, the convoy passed the exact point we set up for ambush at 1500 hours. The enemy was sufficiently confused in the initial attack that most enemy soldiers were taken out within the first two attack runs. Unfortunately, even with our success, we lost two soldiers in the ensuing bloodbath...You see, they had an entire contingent of Royal Enforcers with them."

"Dear Arceus, that many?!" Aries cried, his eyes wide. "What in the world were they transporting...?"

Juno continued. "As expected, they had prototype and experimental weapons and technologies. As you can see, we were unable to bring anything back, because they torched the convoy when they realized the battle was lost; they must have been under orders to make sure that what they had could not fall into enemy hands no matter the cost. However...they were also transporting something...else..." Juno paused for a second. "It was what seemed to be a normal platinum medallion bearing Skepter's crest. This proved to be far from the truth even once we found it.

"It was completely untouched by the fires, both it and the velvet-lined box the medallion was found in, which was most unusual on its own. More of its...uniqueness revealed itself once Landon reached out to grab it."

The Sceptile nodded and looked to the young Pikachu. "What happened?"

Landon's expression darkened a little as he remembered exactly what he felt. "My body locked up as soon as my paw latched around it, and whatever power the medallion contained held me fast. I felt...cold. All the happiness, all the good feelings inside me, were instantly drained away, and replaced with dread, despair, and darkness...I can only accurately describe it as pure evil, whatever the hell it was…”

Aries nodded once more, and turned his attention to regard all three standing before him. "Well, I'm glad it was a success, and that the three of you, at the least, came back alive. Juno, I'd like you to come with me, I'm sure we have more to discuss. Maura, Landon, you two are relieved of duty for the remainder of the day. Landon, I'd take care of that bruise before it becomes a problem. Dismissed!"

Landon and Maura saluted once more before doing an about-face and walking away. Sivaris joined his rider, but Zeb flew off on his own, away from Maura.

As Landon and Sivaris walked (the trip was too slow for the Staraptor to remain airborne), they stayed silent, though both had smiles on their faces. They had returned successful from their most important mission yet, so spirits were higher than normal. Soon, however, Sivaris' smile turned into a knowing smirk. "I can see where we're headed, my love-struck friend."

That earned him a light punch to his wing from the Pikachu. "Sure, why doncha just go tell the whole damn island?" he said sarcastically. He smiled again, however.

Sivaris gave a mock insulted look to his rider. "Well, if that's how you're going to act, then I shall!" He took to the air and circled around Landon. "You will forever regret the day you dared mar the perfection that is Sivaris of the Typhoon Runners, my small prey!" With that Sivaris flew away, a laugh barely audible from his retreating form.

Landon chuckled and continued along his path. He was thankful that he had decided to tell his mount about his secret crush; Sivaris definitely cared for Landon, and he showed it by swearing to never tell another soul about it until Landon himself did, as well as more or less excusing himself whenever Landon decided to go meet with his favorite Pokémon in the world. He quickened his pace as he saw the wooden infirmary building ahead, a pretty little Sandshrew maiden visible in one of the windows.

The Sandshrew seemed to sigh as she washed her paws, apparently having finished treating a patient. By her white clothing and mouth covering around her neck, it was obvious that she was a surgeon. She chanced a glance out of the window beside her, and her bright cerulean eyes suddenly went wide as she spotted Landon approaching. She disappeared from the window in an instant. Mere moments later, Zhunjai burst out of the front doors and raced down the steps and across the sand to meet the Pikachu halfway.

She smiled. "Well, glad to see you made it back in one piece, Landon," she said, her voice light and cheerful. "I was afraid that this time I'd have to sew your arm back on, or something."

"Dost mine ears deceive me?" Landon retorted. "Is my best friend actually doubting my capabilities in battle, or did a Spinda fuddle my senses?"

Zhunjai couldn't help but let out a little giggle at that. "You're always so defensive of your so-called capabilities. Just know that I was worried for your life, as usual. You know war is a risky business, especially against the Black Onyx."

Landon shrugged and sat down on the steps to the infirmary building, the female joining him a second later. "Well, you know what they say about the business of war." He gave a smirk. "Business is boomin'."

Before Zhunjai could respond in a similar fashion, she found she could no longer ignore the large purple bruise that had replaced his shoulder by now. "Landon...please, would you let me at least get you some ice for that? It's gonna get ugly real quick if you don't do something about it..."

Landon nodded, his expression becoming a little more sober. "Yeah, sure. I was...gonna ask you in a moment anyway."

Landon stayed where he sat as Zhunjai disappeared inside the infirmary for a few moments, returning with a blue icebag. She handed it to Landon, who immediately placed it on his shoulder. He gave a muffled hiss, followed by a relieved sigh. "Ah, that feels a lot better..."

Zhunjai sat next to him again. "It was hurting you a lot more than you showed, wasn't it, Landon...?"

He responded with a shrug. "Not like it matters that much. I am a soldier and still bodily able, so it's really nothing to worry much about. Besides...I've had worse than this..." He emphasized the statement by touching the scar that used to be his left eye.

Zhunjai sighed. "I know, Landon, but...Well, I know you're strong, but you don't have to act like you're unable to feel pain. You're mortal like the rest of us, but you always shrug off every injury, always raring to go on to the next mission, to the next battle..." She looked down at the sand. "It's a little unnerving, sometimes. I admire you for your strength, but I also worry about how you treat yourself as well because of that strength...It's okay to feel the weakness of the flesh sometimes..."

Landon nodded slowly, also looking down at the ground. "I've endured way too much to let something as simple as a bruise or a few cuts bother me, Zhunjai...I've seen the horrors of the Black Onyx Kingdom nearly my entire life, I know what they're capable of." He returned his gaze to the Sandshrew maiden. "To take them down once and for all, weakness of the flesh is something that I cannot allow myself to feel. Besides," he added with a grin, hoping to brighten the mood of the conversation, "I can always trust on you to repair whatever damage I get in battle, from a cut on my arm to a severed limb!"

A thud reverberated in the air as Zhunjai pounded her fist on his head in retaliation. "Dammit, Landon, that's nothing to act so coolly about! That's serious business!"

"Alright, alright, sheesh!" Landon cried in response, head bowed and paws clasped to the growing bump on his head. He then moved the icepack from his shoulder to the new wound. Under his breath, he whispered, "Sometimes I worry more about losing my life at your hands than in battle..."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The huge doors to the throne room slowly opened for the Charmeleon. On his body, he wore the uniform of the Black Onyx Kingdom, a completely black outfit. On the left side of his chest, the insignia of an upside-down trident surrounded by flames was embroidered; on the right side, the symbol of the rank of Captain. He clasped his claws behind his back, one of them a completely metallic, robotic arm. His gaze was icy in his concentration, as he prepared to report the bad news to his rather...temperamental liege. Soon, the doors had opened completely. The Charmeleon beckoned with his metal claw to the female Zangoose standing behind him, and the two began walking down the carpeted path between many rows of onlookers, all garbed in black, wickedly-spiked armor. As they passed each row, the armored Pokémon in that line turned as one to face the front in practiced fashion.

Finally, the Charmeleon and the Zangoose reached the front of the crowd where they knelt and bowed their heads before their leader, the Ampharos warlord, King Skepter.

Skepter regarded the two from his throne, then finally nodded and raised a paw. "Rise, Captain Zanix." The Charmeleon immediately rose to his feet, and Skepter continued. "Captain, your report on the investigation on the intercepted convoy?"

"Your majesty, it appears that raiders local to the Conda area had set up an ambush along the convoy's route," Zanix explained. "There did not seem to be any survivors of the attack; in fact, even the bodies did not remain, only ashes and the charred husks of the convoy vehicles. We're afraid that we do not know yet if anything was taken, nor how large the ambush force was. My sources do speculate that it was a force of large size, possibly numbered between fifty to one hundred raiders."

Skepter's gaze narrowed, and he huffed. "It was him...He was the perpetrator of this attack..."

Zanix blinked. "Excuse me, your Highness...?"

Skepter bared his teeth. "Juno, you fool!"

Zanix quickly took a step back in shock, but regained his composure immediately. "Begging your pardon, milord, but...this attack goes against everything we've known about Juno's strategies from the records stolen from the Silver Apex," he explained. "There's no evidence to suggest Juno was at the center of this ambush. The last time he was sighted was just after his escape from your captivity of him, heading into Symarix itself. We've been combing the city ever since the sighting for any signs of him or the remainder of the Silver Apex, but so far to no avail."

The paranoid monarch would not be convinced by Zanix's logic, however. He slouched a little in his throne. "It was him, I just know it...Juno's always been the source of my misery, always the one thorn preventing my Kingdom from obtaining the ultimate goal of bringing the world together under one rule...my rule..."

Zanix gawked at his king, but instead of asking about it, he merely stood there, awaiting further orders; he knew better than to question King Skepter. He who questioned his King met the rather unfriendly point of his sword.

After another minute of rambling mutterings, Skepter sat up straight in his throne again. "What has been done to rectify the destruction of the convoy and the cargo, Captain?"

Zanix nodded. "There is an ongoing investigation into the true culprits of the attack, as well as their location, milord. As for the cargo, I have already made arrangements for the Southern Manufacturing Plant to begin construction on more prototype weapons to be done immediately and subsequently shipped to Monaraca in complete secrecy."

A smirk crossed Skepter's lips. "I was right to promote you to Captain, Zanix. You always think ahead and take the best course of action. A fine quality in a leader, one my military needs more of."

Zanix knelt once more. "You honor me, your Highness."

Skepter clapped his paws together once. "Very well, Zanix, I entrust the operation to your wisdom. You and Ensign Zyrina may take your leave to your quarters now."

"At once, your majesty!" the two kneeling Pokémon said together. They then rose, turned around, and exited the throne room as they had entered.

Once the huge doors had closed some distance behind them, and the hallway was clear of others, Zanix stopped and turned to the Zangoose. "Zyrina...why did you fight that other Ensign in the courtyard today?"

Zyrina seemed taken aback by his sudden question. "My apologies, Captain, but in all fairness, he challenged me. How could I turn that down, especially after he insulted Tyrille? I held back, though, so no blood was drawn from his pathetic body." She flexed her claws menacingly.

"Zyrina, we may have the largest military in the world, but that's no reason to think that thinning out our own ranks, regardless of who initiated the attack, would be alright," Zanix scolded. "You're lucky that the Combusken still lives, and wasn't cut to ribbons."

Zyrina turned her scowl towards the wall. "I said I held back..."

Zanix nodded and turned around. "Go to your barracks and get some sleep, Zyrina. Tomorrow, my squadron will be making a run of Symarix, and I expect everyone to be at tip-top shape for our assignment."

"What's the use of searching those ruins, sir?!" Zyrina asked, almost demandingly.

"To ensure Skepter's...perfect vision for the world is possible, we need to root out all usurpers and enemies, wherever they may hide," Zanix explained, a tone of displeasure in his voice. "It is our duty to king and country, after all. Now, begone. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow."

Zyrina gave a salute and turned into the hallway to the barracks. She allowed herself a smirk at Zanix's obvious displeasure with their king. Zanix wasn't agreeable with Skepter's ways, but he did believe uniting the world under one flag would finally be the end of wars, so he allowed himself to do the things that were necessary of him as a Black Onyx Captain to ensure this vision for the future.

Zyrina didn't much care, either way. She was bored of useless missions, but she did relish the chances to fight their enemies, and her Captain offered her this opportunity more than any other.

Last edited by Shen; 09-30-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:50 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Hooray! New chapter! XD
It was a really good one too. Poor Landon sure is distressed about that medallion. I can't help but think there was more to it.
Then there's that Captain. You really made him look like he hates his job. ^^'

Quote:
A thud reverberated in the air as Zhunjai pounded her fist on his head in retaliation.
I just had to point out, that is my favorite part because it sounds like something I'd do. XD
Keep em coming, bro! ^^

Now, to kill typos!

Quote:
...man, that Alteria the Azumarill had could really fly.
misspelled Altaria.

Quote:
Aeries nodded once more, and turned his attention to regard all three standing before him.
misspelled Aires.

Quote:
Finally, the Charmeleon and the Zangoose reached the front of the crowd, and kelt and bowed their heads before their leader, the Ampharos warlord, King Skepter.
Maybe reword that. "...front of the crowd where they knelt and bowed their heads..."
Also, knelt was misspelled. ^^'
Old 09-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Ah, I was afraid this story might not make a comeback. I like the relation that Landon and Zhunjai have for each other, it creates a very deep and emotional aspect to the storyline.

I noticed one little mistake though. You have "Charmander" instead of Charmeleon in the second half of the chapter.

Still, really good stuff though, but you've got to keep this going. I really want to see this one make it all the way to the end.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

I did have a reply typed, but I just lost the whole thing, as I told you. So this one's gonna have to do. -_-;

Quote:
“Yeah, I’m fine,” he responded finally, “My shoulder’s a little sore from that bullet yesterday, but it’s nothing; war and pain goes hand in hand, after all.”
That should probably be a period, because to me, that seems like the end of a sentence, you know? =3

Quote:
“Yeah…Yeah, you’re right,” Landon replied, his expression changing slightly, “I’m a soldier.
And there, too.

But I've noticed you do that a lot, and it's not a bad thing, it's just I think you don't need to do that for every continuing speech. Not many stories have it so often. ^^' It's your choice whether you keep it as is or change it, I'm just throwing out helpful suggestions. xD

Quote:
He gave a smirk. "Business is boomin'"
Aha! There should be a period or an exclamation mark or something there, methinks. ^^ You put in an extra comma.

Quote:
As they passed each row, the armored Pokémon in the row turned as one to face the front in practiced fashion.
You used row twice. Try something else maybe?

Quote:
Zanix gawked at his king, but instead of ask about it
That's meant to be asking, right? ^^

I'm not sure if that was all, but it's all I could remember. ^^' Sorry.

I think Neo and Kris got everything else. =3

Quote:
"You will forever regret the day you dared mar the perfection that is Sivaris of the Typhoon Runners, my small prey!"
I love this part. xD Seems like something I'd say if I was being teased lol. It's like...just you wait...*cackles evilly* XD Nice, really good.

But awesome, chapter, really! You write so well! owo It's hard to find a good fic these days, but I feel I can really get into this one. ^^ Poor Landon, though, worrying about the medallion and all. D= You know, that part reminded me of something similar within my own fic. xD That's kinda funny. All the same, I hope it didn't affect him too much. After all he's been through, I think he deserves a break. ^^'

And the relationship between Landon and Zhunjai is so cute! It's funny, and she even hit him! XD I love her already!

Also, I get the feeling that Zanix isn't such a brutal Pokemon, even being on Skepter's side. He seems like the kind that just wants a peaceful future. I don't know, but that's what I got out of him from the way he talked, anyway. Now I seem to like him. xD Oh well, that's not my fault.

Again, great chapter! Can't wait for the next one. ^^

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links