Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 PM
ThEcHaMpIoNoFsApPhIrE Offline
Banned

Default Re: Our World Today: Better or Worse?

its worse. our world today is worse. not any good music
Old 11-13-2008, 09:33 PM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEcHaMpIoNoFsApPhIrE View Post
Ahhh!!!! There's good music. (i know you like these)Casting Crowns, Third Day, Jeremy Camp, Newsboys, and (my personal favorite) Tobymac Tell me if they aren't good.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Quote:
You seemed to imply they do.
How does "most" mean "all" to you?

Quote:
Yes, because you're 'black' is an ethnic slur, and you're stereotyping an entire culture.

No, because I can tolerate an insult that calls me a color. :/
Is it just me, or can only I see what's wrong with the above statements? Saying someone's white is just as racist as calling someone black - same ethnic slur. I rest my case.

Quote:
Because around 95% already speak the same language.
95? I highly doubt that. And 95% wouldn't be enough, either. 99% is what I'm asking for, and that's the way it should be.

Quote:
Really? Here's what you said:

"I have every right to say that his "race-card" stunt was the prime reason he won -"

You have the right. Just not the facts.

"he had a specific blood type that only one in a million people with the African heritage that was found at the scene, something that was undeniable."

That could have been the same with any race not just blacks.
Maybe that fact was screwed up, but he had an EXTREMELY rare blood type should suffice - and that's fact.

Quote:
ALMOST EVERYONE IN AMERICA SPEAKS ENGLISH!! Why are you going on about lack of communication when there is ALREADY PLENTY OF COMMUNICATION IN THE FIRSTPLACE?!
I'm talking about what will happen and what is happening. It may not be happening to you, but there is lack of communication. I've witnessed it many times. Thousands of Americans that can't speak English. I live near a place that's loaded with illegal aliens - most of them can't even speak English. And there are even more places like that all over the US - still want to say that almost all of America speaks English again? I'd convert "almost all" to just "most".

Quote:
Because the black people have achieved freedom very recently. Give them a little time, like a few decades. This is contrasting with women's rights and sexism.
We've given them freedom over a century ago. They were segregated almost half a century ago. And even though they were segregated, it is still not right for them the right to be racist back forty years later..

Quote:
No. Balance is an equal amount of good and evil in the world. Something that we humans are trying to achieve. There will always be bad, no doubt, but it doesn't mean that we have to give up being good to prevent it.
Saying there is good and evil in the world is like saying God exists - it doesn't help everyone in the world. Not many people were meant to believe - in behavior or deities. I believe in God, and even though the Bible says "faith without works will surely die," but not all believe in God, and they have that right. We can't force our beliefs upon them; that is between themselves and God alone. What I'm saying is, that we can't continue to brainwash and tell everyone in today's generation that good and evil is this or that. I'm not sure if we even have a balance.

Quote:
Phail example. It's called a typo.
It was an example, get over it.

Quote:
Which are all different things.
And all those things are trying to be achieved - and the efforts are failing.

Quote:
In our ten thousand years of human history, did we break down? No, and we won't for another ten thousand years.
But we will. Who knows when, but it's possible anytime.

Quote:
Take a paralysed person. He will never recover, it's impossible. But that doesn't mean that we have to stop taking care of him, stop giving him nutrition and the like.
Is that what they say before they pull the plug on people on life support? They may be stuck in a coma or in a vegetative state and stuck with a million different things, but they can still take care of them?

Quote:
What?
I'll say it again - except rephrased, so you can understand...

I said "None of them are, but one of them will, meaning that none of the theories are true, except for one of them will be true. Does that help at all?

So much arguing. >_<"

The world is much worse than when we first started - this is the last thing I'm going to say on the subject.

God, can we have a redo?

Old 11-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Because the 'world' totally refers to America.

I agree with skiboydoggy.
The world is more than just America, now. Just look at China. Just look at Europe as a whole. This forum doesn't just have you Americans who're arguing about whether America's better or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post
Or maybe I'm a stubborn butthole that's independent - the way America was dreamed by our founding fathers. Oh, but wait; there is a person that wants to erase that... but who could that possibly be...?

*cough* Obama. *cough*
There have been many US presidents with varying thoughts in history. And having the first black US president in history means that the way America was dreamed by your founding fathers is not erased, but opposite to what you're thinking: coming true.

Quote:
When you're dealing with a guy that has a button that says "Reality is for people who lack imagination" on his Facebook profile, anything is possible.

Quote:
Which will never happen, and I can definitely guarantee that!

1. There will always be racism.
2. There will always be sexism.
3. There will always be terrorism.
4. There will always be the feeling of jealousy and ungratefulness.
5. There will always be the fight between religions.
6. There will always be fighting.
I don't deny that ideals will never happen, but it's like in science: there is no 100% yield in chemistry and there will always be power loss in motors and stuff like that (for physics). And in biology, where in animals, energy as heat is always lost to the environment. But what do we do in this case? Do we keep it as it is and never improve? No, we find ways to minimise (BrE)/minimize (AmE) the loss, to get a maximal yield.

It's the same for ideals. We know that we cannot work to perfection i.e. get to idealism. In fact, to quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboydoggy View Post
So we should sit back and accept it why? Obviously the ideal is a fair world, and ideals is what all men work towards.
He said "men", implying that sexism still exists. But we work to get as close to idealism as we can, for the sake of a better world.

Quote:
Some religions believe the end of the world will end with all of those six details. Some details may be different, maybe the world might not end on 2012 - not many people know about the future for sure. Oh, but wait. There are a lot of atheists on PE2K, as I forgot to remember, so what would they care about what I say when I talk about the Apocalypse?
There are a lot of atheists, but you forget there are also many Christians here as well. And you also forget, so is president-elect Obama. And I believe there are non-Christians (even atheists) who think the world will end.

Quote:
But anyways, my point is, the six things I have listed above have been increasing steadily over generations, hundreds of generations... So how can we have a fair world, may I ask? There will always be a solid percentage that believes in what's considered legally or morally wrong.
Increasing? Ever since the First World War, where many people died, where rich people fought beside poor people, where women took over men's jobs since the men were fighting, racism and sexism has been reduced. And now, people are still working towards it. And since conflicts are inevitable, so is war. And for what did America declare war on terrorism? Besides, the world is more connected today, so people and the religions understand more about one another.

Quote:

You did NOT get my point. Schools denying the majority just to make the minority happy. Let's say the majority of the school is Christian, and there is a small family that goes to the school that celebrates a different holiday. The school gives in, denies the majority's first amendment right, and their culture is forced upon them, and they're forced to believe that's alright, whilst covering it up with the excuse of them needing "to learn another culture and tolerating it". If school is not where religion is supposed to be expressed, then it has to be true for all religions - even atheism - if we want to be "fair" right? Oh, but we can't do that! It's not right for our precious minority!

-sarcasm-
Oh please. Learn from Singapore, the multi-racial, multi-religious country with 4 official languages. For historical reasons our national language is Malay, but it's only the 3rd most common language here, so national language ≠ official language ≠ most common language. We compromise in these things there, so why can't you?

And apparently you felt out the question while arguing. For me it's better.

BTW, I've declined to reply to the rest of your posts since it'd be pointless to do so.

Last edited by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng; 11-21-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Azure Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:

Is it just me, or can only I see what's wrong with the above statements? Saying someone's white is just as racist as calling someone black - same ethnic slur. I rest my case.

You don't rest anything. The blacks have had a history of racism. Comparing them isn't fair.

95? I highly doubt that. And 95% wouldn't be enough, either. 99% is what I'm asking for, and that's the way it should be.

Why?

Maybe that fact was screwed up, but he had an EXTREMELY rare blood type should suffice - and that's fact.

But it has nothing to do with racism. I rest my case.

I'm talking about what will happen and what is happening. It may not be happening to you, but there is lack of communication. I've witnessed it many times. Thousands of Americans that can't speak English. I live near a place that's loaded with illegal aliens - most of them can't even speak English. And there are even more places like that all over the US - still want to say that almost all of America speaks English again? I'd convert "almost all" to just "most".

So what do you propose to do?

We've given them freedom over a century ago. They were segregated almost half a century ago. And even though they were segregated, it is still not right for them the right to be racist back forty years later..

You're making almost no sense now.

Saying there is good and evil in the world is like saying God exists - it doesn't help everyone in the world. Not many people were meant to believe - in behavior or deities. I believe in God, and even though the Bible says "faith without works will surely die," but not all believe in God, and they have that right. We can't force our beliefs upon them; that is between themselves and God alone. What I'm saying is, that we can't continue to brainwash and tell everyone in today's generation that good and evil is this or that. I'm not sure if we even have a balance.

Lolwut? The idea of good and evil is basic human philosophy. It has nothing to do with religion.

Phail comeback.

They are keeping a balance.

No. It's not.

Is that what they say before they pull the plug on people on life support? They may be stuck in a coma or in a vegetative state and stuck with a million different things, but they can still take care of them?

Yes.

I said "None of them are, but one of them will, meaning that none of the theories are true, except for one of them will be true. Does that help at all?

No. All of them are false.

So much arguing. >_<"

The world is much worse than when we first started - this is the last thing I'm going to say on the subject.

God, can we have a redo?
Don't chicken out please.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEcHaMpIoNoFsApPhIrE View Post
Oh, I guess the music really does contribute to our everyday life...
But still, some musics can be dangerous, not by the way they are created, but by their meanings... in which makes the listener fell depressed.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Azure Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post
The world is more than just America, now. Just look at China. Just look at Europe as a whole. This forum doesn't just have you Americans who're arguing about whether America's better or worse.
We are like-minded. It's just that I'm not American and you don't get sarcasm.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Uomo Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Uomo

Quote:
1. There will always be racism.
2. There will always be sexism.
3. There will always be terrorism.
4. There will always be the feeling of jealousy and ungratefulness.
5. There will always be the fight between religions.
6. There will always be fighting.
Then why the hell would we be in this ******* war? Why don't you tell me that, Mr. Smartypants? If you cared a BIT of this hellhole we call earth, you wouldn't be so pessimistic. Our world is getting better, the USA is just falling flat on our faces because we're trying to better it way too much. If you want to go flaunt your independence and your being a "Strong faithed Republican" then stop trying to make your retarded little predictions. No one who's good in this world of ours would be in trouble if we didn't have all those things you listed. And you keep talking about if this whole world of ours is one country. Earth doesn't equal USA, you "proud citizen". And if you wanna talk about the country then I'd be glad to shake you off. We're fighting racism with our new president. We're fighting sexism with new industries and the right for women to actually work. We're fighting terrorism right now in Iraq and Afghanistan; you even said you support the wars! Jealousy is a sin - you should know that, and ungratefulness doesn't lie in the whole entire world. If it wasn't for people who cared so freaking much about religion, that wouldn't even be a statement. And if someone didn't have to go out and kill Ghandi, the fighting would have stopped years ago!

Chew on that, RAV.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Poring Offline

Send a message via AIM to Poring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I just have to say that there's only us, and there's only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. There is no other road, no other way, no day but today. Agreed?
I agree; live life it is. After all, there are five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes in a year. Unrelated, Rent was great.

Related to the topic at hand: The world today is better than it was yesterday, for sure.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Take thirty-one; someone, please get me a coffee - this is going to get rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uomo View Post
Then why the hell would we be in this ******* war? Why don't you tell me that, Mr. Smartypants? If you cared a BIT of this hellhole we call earth, you wouldn't be so pessimistic. Our world is getting better, the USA is just falling flat on our faces because we're trying to better it way too much. If you want to go flaunt your independence and your being a "Strong faithed Republican" then stop trying to make your retarded little predictions. No one who's good in this world of ours would be in trouble if we didn't have all those things you listed. And you keep talking about if this whole world of ours is one country. Earth doesn't equal USA, you "proud citizen". And if you wanna talk about the country then I'd be glad to shake you off. We're fighting racism with our new president. We're fighting sexism with new industries and the right for women to actually work. We're fighting terrorism right now in Iraq and Afghanistan; you even said you support the wars! Jealousy is a sin - you should know that, and ungratefulness doesn't lie in the whole entire world. If it wasn't for people who cared so freaking much about religion, that wouldn't even be a statement. And if someone didn't have to go out and kill Ghandi, the fighting would have stopped years ago!
If my opinions are going to be hated and excluded to to the point that they are opinions, I'd like to stop seeing others, because in mine, the world isn't getting better, in mine, world can have more than one meaning the more you stretch it, in mine, people shouldn't be calling others names nor attacking another's opinion. And last I checked, this place, let alone this board, was a place of opinion and fact, so back off.

Quote:
You don't rest anything. The blacks have had a history of racism. Comparing them isn't fair.
Caucasians have a history of racism as well - no one really cares about it because everyone wants to kiss the booboo on Africa's finger. Oh, the racism on the Caucasians was only a paper cut, it'll heal. Yeah - right. Racism is a topic in which Karma never applies.

Quote:
So what do you propose to do?
And yet everyone thinks I'm pessimistic.

Quote:
You're making almost no sense now.
Because you do not and cannot understand. You don't even give a rat's behind as what I have to say, so why was that comment even necessary?

Quote:
Lolwut? The idea of good and evil is basic human philosophy. It has nothing to do with religion.
Philosophy is apart of religion, depending on you look at it. Philosophy is questioning life's big ideas, and religion is trying to figure out what purpose of our lives are. See a connection? I do. The only evil I believe in is Satan and his angels, and their power over the inhabitants of this earth - nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Phail comeback.
You're one to talk.

Quote:
They are keeping a balance.
Want to look at it in one way, maybe so, but that balance is invisible to us all - no one truly knows if it is truly equal, or if it has been tipped.

Quote:
No. It's not.

No. All of them are false.
And since when have you been a prophet? There is no way of telling, no way of knowing.

Quote:
Don't chicken out please.
The enabler has enabled.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:42 AM
Reiji Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assaundrell Yumerai View Post
> Pollution, rising crime rates, inflation, overpricing, and even the destruction of nature---
are these factors prove that our world, IS NOT THE WAY IT SEEMS TO BE?

>> Most news and newspaper reports crime and negative factors normally. In which, we may ask ourselves ''WHY?"

>>> As the way I see it, some of the Biblical prophesies are now getting fulfilled.
(Like Mat. 24:7)

>>>> So as for you, the title says it all. Post according to your heart, and speak what's in your your mind.

Our world doesn't mind us. Nature cannot be fully destroyed, we'll die long before we can kill earth. Human nature always has flaws, hence why we have high crime rates, pollution, and so on.

Once nature decides to get rid of us their will be nothing left but few evidence. Just like all other periods of time.

To answer the question, I have to ask a question: was life good in the past? Even in the biblical days there was suffering and crimes.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiji View Post
Our world doesn't mind us. Nature cannot be fully destroyed, we'll die long before we can kill earth. Human nature always has flaws, hence why we have high crime rates, pollution, and so on.

Once nature decides to get rid of us their will be nothing left but few evidence. Just like all other periods of time.

To answer the question, I have to ask a question: was life good in the past? Even in the biblical days there was suffering and crimes.
I agree, when the nature makes the ''move'', no one can stop it. As to your question, maybe yes, because the life is way too simple compared today. Even the Bible prophesied those events. (Like on Timothy)
Old 11-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Reiji Offline
Experienced Trainer

I don't see being stoned to death or plagues as better. Comparing today and the past is very tough.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Shadow Eevee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Quote:

If my opinions are going to be hated and excluded to to the point that they are opinions, I'd like to stop seeing others, because in mine, the world isn't getting better, in mine, world can have more than one meaning the more you stretch it, in mine, people shouldn't be calling others names nor attacking another's opinion. And last I checked, this place, let alone this board, was a place of opinion and fact, so back off.

Caucasians have a history of racism as well - no one really cares about it because everyone wants to kiss the booboo on Africa's finger. Oh, the racism on the Caucasians was only a paper cut, it'll heal. Yeah - right. Racism is a topic in which Karma never applies.

That's the most racist thing I've ever seen in my life. Maybe if you'd realize that everything doesn't revolve around you, the world will be better.

You are.

Because you do not and cannot understand. You don't even give a rat's behind as what I have to say, so why was that comment even necessary?

Philosophy is apart of religion, depending on you look at it. Philosophy is questioning life's big ideas, and religion is trying to figure out what purpose of our lives are. See a connection? I do. The only evil I believe in is Satan and his angels, and their power over the inhabitants of this earth - nothing more, nothing less.

You're one to talk.

Want to look at it in one way, maybe so, but that balance is invisible to us all - no one truly knows if it is truly equal, or if it has been tipped.

And since when have you been a prophet? There is no way of telling, no way of knowing.

Your 'predictions' are usually wrong. May I bring up that one post from a while back?

The enabler has enabled.
Quote:

How does "most" mean "all" to you?

No, because people use 'black' as an insult, whereas they just use 'white' to describe someone's skin tone.

I'm talking about what will happen and what is happening. It may not be happening to you, but there is lack of communication. I've witnessed it many times. Thousands of Americans that can't speak English. I live near a place that's loaded with illegal aliens Once again, the world doesn't revolve around you.- most of them can't even speak English. And there are even more places like that all over the US - still want to say that almost all of America speaks English again? I'd convert "almost all" to just "most".

We've given them freedom over a century ago. They were segregated almost half a century ago. And even though they were segregated, it is still not right for them the right to be racist back forty years later. They were slaves for a few centuries, I think that 'earned' them to be racist back..

So much arguing. >_<"

God, can we have a redo?
I think you're just mad because of the fact that a Democrat's in office again.

I'm glad to see that everyone in the world isn't a selfish person, which means that the world isn't completely bad yet.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Azure Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:

You are not being hated or excluded. You are being debated.

I lost you after the first sentence.

O RLY?

If I didn't would I even be here right now?

So after re-reading your sentence, I think what you're trying to say is that Blacks are racist. Are you not aware of how much racism you've being showing blacks in this thread? I'd advise you to stop being hypocritical.

Philosophy is apart of religion, depending on you look at it. Philosophy is questioning life's big ideas, and religion is trying to figure out what purpose of our lives are. See a connection? I do. The only evil I believe in is Satan and his angels, and their power over the inhabitants of this earth - nothing more, nothing less

Bold.

You're one to talk.

Who said it was equal? Evil far outweighs good. The thing good is doing right now is keeping evil at bay, thus the balance.

Ah... hypocrisy shakes it's lustrous mane.

The enabler has enabled.
Good for you.