Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai
Question Our World Today: Better or Worse?

> Pollution, rising crime rates, inflation, overpricing, and even the destruction of nature---
are these factors prove that our world, IS NOT THE WAY IT SEEMS TO BE?

>> Most news and newspaper reports crime and negative factors normally. In which, we may ask ourselves ''WHY?"

>>> As the way I see it, some of the Biblical prophesies are now getting fulfilled.
(Like Mat. 24:7)

>>>> So as for you, the title says it all. Post according to your heart, and speak what's in your your mind.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:48 PM
skiboydoggy Offline

Send a message via AIM to skiboydoggy
Default Re: Our World Today: Better or Worse?

Compared to twenty years ago? Current situation is FAR better than what I can tell of the Cold War.
Compared to sixty years ago? Current situation is a joke compared to WWII.
Compared to eighty years ago? Once again, WWI is WAY worse than the current situation.
Compared to five hundred years ago when the concept of popular rights barely existed? Yup, today's better.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:39 PM
faceplant527 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to faceplant527 Send a message via Yahoo to faceplant527

our world is alright. all we need is to get out of iraq, and to get the economy back up. then we will be ok.

| Links | RIP Ryan |

マンチェスターユナイテッド

Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboydoggy View Post
Compared to twenty years ago? Current situation is FAR better than what I can tell of the Cold War.
Compared to sixty years ago? Current situation is a joke compared to WWII.
Compared to eighty years ago? Once again, WWI is WAY worse than the current situation.
Compared to five hundred years ago when the concept of popular rights barely existed? Yup, today's better.
I agree completly. =P
Old 11-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig

The world today certainly isn't all that great, but it's much better than compared to the last hundred years. And, it's probably going to keep getting better.

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Old 11-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceplant527 View Post
our world is alright. all we need is to get out of iraq, and to get the economy back up. then we will be ok.

But after our mission is finished - and ever so responsibly.

It is much worse. Much worse. Especially in America.

You know... we are the only country I can think of that doesn't have an official language. And that appalls me. When I heard we no longer have an official language, I thought, "When did this happen?" When my ancestors came over to America, they were forced to learn English! Nowadays, EVERYTHING has a Spanish side! Well, what about Italian? Japanese? Chinese? French? Guatemalan? Filipino? Norwegian? Latin? German? Polish? Dutch? Greek? Russian? African? Farsi? Arabic? I could go on and on, but I think you get my point. They are talking about making signs in America multilingual. When that happens, accidents are bound to go up, because when people pass signs, they'll think, "What did that sign just say?" And then... BOOM. Accident! How can you explain that in court? But then the judges will take pity on them, give them a break, and then we have to count on our government to pay for the damages. That isn't right, don't you think?

After all, if OJ could be claimed innocent for a double-murder, people can get away with that.
It's the beauty of the race-card.

Last edited by Professor Geoffrey; 11-09-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Requiem of Verities View Post

You know... we are the only country I can think of that doesn't have an official language. And that appalls me. When I heard we no longer have an official language, I thought, "When did this happen?" When my ancestors came over to America, they were forced to learn English! Nowadays, EVERYTHING has a Spanish side! Well, what about Italian? Japanese? Chinese? French? Guatemalan? Filipino? Norwegian? Latin? German? Polish? Dutch? Greek? Russian? African? Farsi? Arabic? I could go on and on, but I think you get my point. They are talking about making signs in America multilingual. When that happens, accidents are bound to go up, because when people pass signs, they'll think, "What did that sign just say?" And then... BOOM. Accident! How can you explain that in court? But then the judges will take pity on them, give them a break, and then we have to count on our government to pay for the damages. That isn't right, don't you think?
America's official language is English, though some are arguing to add Spanish to that list. Consider Canada with its 2 official languages: signs only have 2 languages. Canadians are known to be much more lenient on language itself, and it only manages to have 2 official languages, it's highly doubtful that America will have more than 1 or 2 official languages either. The slippery slope argument basically doesn't hold water.

I've also seen trilingual signs (knowing all three languages), and I seem to still be crash-free in Hong Kong. I think you are making a bigger deal of that than you think.

Besides, what's wrong with multiculturalism?

Quote:
After all, if OJ could be claimed innocent for a double-murder, people can get away with that.
It's more like his lawyers are too good. I also hope you know that you just produced racism at its finest.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack

Quote:

This is America.
Land of diversity and change.
English IS our official language, but who nowadays DOESN'T speak at least 2 languages?

On topic:
I think that we are doing pretty damn well in comparison to our last 2000 years in history, and I'm glad. Esp with President elect Obama, I'm pretty sure things are going to take a change for the better.

I mean think about it, a few things that our new technology can be bringing:
-Alternate energy sources
-Better healthcare
-Bringing the economy back up
-The war in Iraq is going to be over soon because we are taking troops out hopefully
-Terrorism is dropping
-A new civil battle of gay rights will bring pride to our country once it is finally won
-etc

2000 marked a change in the world. This change may have not been well reflected by the last 8 years, but I think that these years have been showing us all of our mistakes and things we need to fix. Now, finally, it is nearing 2009 and we are working on a great world.

==
==
Old 11-10-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
America's official language is English

Sadly, that above statement is false.

No, it is not the official language. Most people in America do speak English, but it isn't the official language. When I went to the Olympics' official site, it said "None" for official language. Even on Wikipedia, it says none.

Quote:
I've also seen trilingual signs (knowing all three languages), and I seem to still be crash-free in Hong Kong. I think you are making a bigger deal of that than you think.
In Hong Kong, not in America! We're truly a different place.

Sorry for me being worried about my own country.

Quote:
It's more like his lawyers are too good. I also hope you know that you just produced racism at its finest.

No, not racism. At court, he said, "Is it because I'm BLACK?"

Call me racist if you'd like, but the race-card exists.

Quote:
This is America.
Land of diversity and change.
English IS our official language, but who nowadays DOESN'T speak at least 2 languages?
Says who? It's not a land of diversity and change - it's a land of freedom. However, no one in the world today is free - I can't go out and kill my neighbor.

As I said, English is not our official language. It's our national language, MEANING most people in America today speak it. It does not mean it is our official language.

And a good percentage of America is monolingual! What are you talking about?

Even I am monolingual - but I'm currently learning Latin.

Last edited by Professor Geoffrey; 11-10-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Matt Offline
<- Khold's Butt
Elite Trainer (Level 7)

Send a message via AIM to Matt

I just have to say that there's only us, and there's only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. There is no other road, no other way, no day but today. Agreed?
------
FrozenChaos703: I have a kitty named Peaches.
FrozenChaos703: She can stand on my boobs.
FrozenChaos703: Without falling.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:09 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:

Sadly, that above statement is false.

No, it is not the official language. Most people in America do speak English, but it isn't the official language. When I went to the Olympics' official site, it said "None" for official language. Even on Wikipedia, it says none.
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, even here it doesn't matter, considering that there are many people in Canada that doesn't speak its 2 official languages. It has no real impact on anything. Besides that point, even if the United States doesn't have an official language on paper, it's certain what the "unofficial official" language is.

Quote:

I think you're missing something in the middle here. Somewhere down the line, you made the assumption that having more than 1 languages will hinder sign reading, and I've presented two examples (Canada and Hong Kong) that has more than 1 language on their road signs and no problems occurred. I do find it ridiculous that you think this would be a problem when Americans routinely go crash-free in Canada, where they no only have to deal with two languages on road signs, but also speed limits based upon SI measurements rather than imperial. It's honestly not a big deal. It's not even a small deal.

Second, I find it odd that you would be so defensive about "being worried about your own country", considering that the case here has absolutely nothing to do with that at all. It is simply a matter of misconception and me correcting said misconception.

Quote:

I don't deny that he tried to use the "race card", though I think its effectiveness isn't nearly as "devastating" as you have stated it to be, and that the effectiveness of his lawyers were what made the difference in the trial.

While the race-card exists, it's unfair to put the blame solely on the "race card" and be done with it. The fact that people should be looking past race is the goal, and it seems like moving backwards whenever anybody uses it or blames people because of it. What I'm getting at is that both the user and those that acknowledge it are at fault. Unfairness, of course, is the root of racism. I honestly think that you should reconsider your thought patterns in this matter.

Quote:
Says who? It's not a land of diversity and change - it's a land of freedom. However, no one in the world today is free - I can't go out and kill my neighbor.
[/quote]

The United States was never built on freedom from morality. Aren't you part of the faction that believes that the States were created upon Christian values, and that the Church should be in control of the State? Because your statement contradicted a core value you had.

And what's wrong with The States being a land of "diversity and change"? Are those somehow bad in any way? Diversity is associated with positivity, after all. Change is something that people fear, correct?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai

I see your concern, but the way I see it, all the news, reports, etc. keeps reporting about crimes, deaths and other negative matters.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Azure Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Because the 'world' totally refers to America.

I agree with skiboydoggy.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Quote:
We need to stop policing the world and leave the economy as it is.
Quote:

Not really. If you've been to Hong Kong, it's remarkably like lower Manhattan. Besides, everyone may soon get used to it.

Race card may exist..which country isn't racist? Everyone's racist to people from their own country- on whatever ground they can find. Rascism is instinctive, natural behavior, and it's only self control and tolerance that may stop it.

Besides, the election '08 has proven that people can look beyond rascism, and choose what is best for themselves and their country- no matter what race a person is.

Unless people keep honking about rascism, it will just die and be forgotten. You can't kick a sleeping dragon, make it attack you, and say dragons are dangerous, they should be killed. People should just forget about rascism and the whole damn thing.

And a good percentage of America is monolingual! What are you talking about?
Freedom doesn't mean you can go and do whatever you like. Freedom is constitutional rights of a person who obeys the rules. Do something right, and you get a reward.

Besides, whatever is against the law is something that can endanger the freedom and individual rights of someone else. A person has the freedom and the right to live, and by killing him, you are taking away his fundamental right to live. That's why it's wrong.

Anyway about America..we have changed a lot recently: some have been for the better, others have been for the worse. Either way, time has its own way of dealing with things.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
I think you're missing something in the middle here. Somewhere down the line, you made the assumption that having more than 1 languages will hinder sign reading, and I've presented two examples (Canada and Hong Kong) that has more than 1 language on their road signs and no problems occurred. I do find it ridiculous that you think this would be a problem when Americans routinely go crash-free in Canada, where they no only have to deal with two languages on road signs, but also speed limits based upon SI measurements rather than imperial. It's honestly not a big deal. It's not even a small deal.
More a presumption - but leave me to worry about my country.

Quote:
Second, I find it odd that you would be so defensive about "being worried about your own country", considering that the case here has absolutely nothing to do with that at all. It is simply a matter of misconception and me correcting said misconception.
It would actually depend on how far you stretch the word "world".

Quote:
I don't deny that he tried to use the "race card", though I think its effectiveness isn't nearly as "devastating" as you have stated it to be, and that the effectiveness of his lawyers were what made the difference in the trial.

While the race-card exists, it's unfair to put the blame solely on the "race card" and be done with it. The fact that people should be looking past race is the goal, and it seems like moving backwards whenever anybody uses it or blames people because of it. What I'm getting at is that both the user and those that acknowledge it are at fault. Unfairness, of course, is the root of racism. I honestly think that you should reconsider your thought patterns in this matter.
The man got away with a double murder by using his heritage. Murder. I have every right to say that his "race-card" stunt was the prime reason he won - he had a specific blood type that only one in a million people with the African heritage that was found at the scene, something that was undeniable. And the verdict was either unanimous or close to it, but at least he was proved guilty in civil court. A good lawyer may have been something that have contributed to the win, but the jury gave in because he was pointing fingers.

And unfairness is the root of just about everything - ever heard of the phrase "Life ain't fair"?

Quote:
The United States was never built on freedom from morality. Aren't you part of the faction that believes that the States were created upon Christian values, and that the Church should be in control of the State? Because your statement contradicted a core value you had.
It was a hypothetical example - I guess I should have made that more clear.

I do believe the country's foundation was built with Christian values, but most people deny it due to "equality". I've heard many cases in America where people were denied their first amendment right - did you know that in Florida, you cannot display the Nativity scene, and yet Middle-Eastern holidays are celebrated? How messed up is that, I ask you?

Quote:
And what's wrong with The States being a land of "diversity and change"? Are those somehow bad in any way? Diversity is associated with positivity, after all. Change is something that people fear, correct?
If change was something people truly feared, McCain would have won by a landslide, because Obama was big on change. The only problem I have with change is that too much can probably corrupt a nation, if not handled responsibly, and I don't think Obama is worthy of such responsibility. I do accept the fact that he has won the election, but he won because of immorality and voters that should have not been able to vote in the first place (i.e. deceased citizens, the situation in Ohio, homeless people [mail can't go to park benches, people], and unpardoned people with a felony).