Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Bryce Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Bryce
Default Novels with a "Lasting" Effect...

Okay, so, I just finished Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and I can honestly say that it was the best novel I have ever read... It tapped into so many of my emotions, and was so incredibly relate-able not only to my own experiences, but also to those of others my age.

Truly, it has had a lasting effect on me, and as corny as it sounds, it has changed the way I look at the world and view new situations, as well as people in general... (Blah. It was so good, it at least needed to be mentioned in a thread... If not having one dedicated to it. xD)

Andddd, I was just wondering if any of you have read a book like this, that you can look back on and remember how it influenced your views and such... Please don't post here telling how much Harry Potter made you see the world in a whole new "magical" way, or something... Only if a book really has impacted you.

:3

BRYCExKAT

Last edited by Bryce; 10-21-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Default Re: Novels with a "Lasting" Effect...

To Kill A Mockingbird really resonated with me as a reader. The symbolism of innocence, its destruction, and its portrayal of Southern life was all so wonderfully done. Harper Lee's storytelling ability is excellent as well.

Though not a novel, the play The Crucible can open your eyes to a lot of things. The imperfectness of the legal system and the evil mankind can inflict upon each other to name a few.

Hi

Old 10-22-2008, 10:12 PM
RawrIsMyMiddleName Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to RawrIsMyMiddleName

I read this book a long time ago I miss it so much. :P I think I'm going to read it again. A Separate Peace - John Knowles. Haha, I don't know much about it anymore.

I am so naming my son Phineas now. /lame
Old 10-22-2008, 10:14 PM
DragoniteMistress Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to DragoniteMistress Send a message via Yahoo to DragoniteMistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
To Kill A Mockingbird really resonated with me as a reader. The symbolism of innocence, its destruction, and its portrayal of Southern life was all so wonderfully done. Harper Lee's storytelling ability is excellent as well.

Though not a novel, the play The Crucible can open your eyes to a lot of things. The imperfectness of the legal system and the evil mankind can inflict upon each other to name a few.
I read both of those in the past year, and I'd really have to say I agree xD

A book that had a relatively big impact on me, though - Pandemia by Johnathon Rand & Christopher Knight.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:15 PM
avinash Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to avinash

a novel called RavenQuest was a book of legends. It was as realistic as hell, and it really clinged. That was the first time I read a 300 page book in one day (I was awake for 24 hours!)
Old 10-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

Well, the Twilight series owned, but that doesn't really count.

Read it.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:09 AM
GreenRampage Offline

Send a message via AIM to GreenRampage

Quote:

:P Those are both books I've read for school in the last year

Anyway, as weird as it sounds, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy helped me calm down during some stressful times, so I guess that would for me
Old 10-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Soda Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Soda Send a message via MSN to Soda Send a message via Yahoo to Soda

I don't read many interesting books, they're so hard to find. and Chelsea Handler's Autobiography isn't really a novel.

'The Giver' was pretty own.

@Charbok: Lol, Twilight. I hate those books. :P Way too girly, and that's saying something since I'm obsessed with Britney Spears.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Poring Offline

Send a message via AIM to Poring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawrIsMyMiddleName View Post
I read this book a long time ago I miss it so much. :P I think I'm going to read it again. A Separate Peace - John Knowles. Haha, I don't know much about it anymore.

I am so naming my son Phineas now. /lame
Yes, that was a good book. Poor Leper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Read it.
That too.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Frozen_in_Time Offline

Sophie's World....
I haven't read it (XD) But I can guess...
Also, Inkheart by Cornelia Funke ^^
Old 10-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can

Send a message via AIM to Stinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshyMallow View Post
Anyway, as weird as it sounds, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy helped me calm down during some stressful times, so I guess that would for me
I'm reading this right now; I really like it. ^_^

Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet In Heaven were really influential on me, as well as Wicked.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:50 AM
Dancing Mad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Dancing Mad

Quote:

I loved To Kill a Mockingbird. It was just wow.

Also reading the Crucible right now in Juniors Honors English and I love the parallels to the Salem Witch Hunt to the Red Scare and also to the modern day world.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:52 AM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Mad View Post
I loved To Kill a Mockingbird. It was just wow.

Also reading the Crucible right now in Juniors Honors English and I love the parallels to the Salem Witch Hunt to the Red Scare and also to the modern day world.
*coughcoughpatriotactcoughmichellebachmancoughcoug h*
Old 10-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Breaking Dawn and New Moon.

They were just... wow.

New Moon was an amazing book, because it reminded me of how I felt about how depressed I was when many things have turned bad, and then I look at Bella, and I feel lucky. Lucky that my parents divorced. Lucky that I have to wake up each day living the same life. Lucky that... oh, the list goes on and on. But anyway... It reminded me of when I was in such a depression where I couldn't be helped. No one could. So, I tried helping myself. And that depression was actually fixed when I joined PE2K, so, without PE2K, who knows where I might have ended up in life.

Breaking Dawn was just... different... it showed me we really have more hope in this world than I thought we had. Well, any world that consists of God should be hopeful, right? It is true, but there's a lot of stuff that's been happening lately, it isn't even funny as to how little hope I should have now...

I wish I could say something about my favorite book, Inkheart... Hmm... Well, I guess it is another good symbol for hope... and being creative, that's for sure. xD
Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 PM
The Jr Trainer Offline

Send a message via AIM to The Jr Trainer Send a message via MSN to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Yahoo to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Skype™ to The Jr Trainer

Frozen Fire will have an everlasting effect on me; it might've been fictional (very, very fictional) but it sure was relate-able to.

I also read the Series of Unfortunate Events in like 6th grade, and I like them. :3 Not that that has anything to do with this thread...