Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:42 AM
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
Yeah, but only in really big amounts and crap like spirits. Apparently when you get over 50 or whatever, a tipple of sherry occasionally is good for you? Eh. Something I heard.
The same thing goes for weed though. Including the health thing, but it's not confirmed.

==
==
Old 10-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
The thing about alchohol though, is that it is HIGHLY addictive. Even if you only drink moderately, you can get hooked, leading to binge drinking.

A lot of people start out like once in a while, then like once a week... once a day... then they become bingers.

I RARELY meet people over age 40 who drink and have not once in their life binge drank.
And cigarettes are also highly addictive. And compared to the addictiveness of some of the heavier drugs, alcohol seems repulsive.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:47 PM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

imo, all of the above is bad, well except alcohol for the main reasons as everyone else.

I got example of how drugs can mess you up.

Other day, this guy came into the store where I work, just started putting stuff in his pockett. My managers saw him on camera, call the cops, and confronted him. You could tell that he was drunk and he started arguing. The cops came, arrested him, then searched his car. They found 4 bags of cocaine is his trunk.

I think it is not ok to laugh at other people's misery, but if they are just being plan stupid, I might let a giggle or 2 out. :)

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 PM
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Stevee View Post
imo, all of the above is bad, well except alcohol for the main reasons as everyone else.

I got example of how drugs can mess you up.

Other day, this guy came into the store where I work, just started putting stuff in his pockett. My managers saw him on camera, call the cops, and confronted him. You could tell that he was drunk and he started arguing. The cops came, arrested him, then searched his car. They found 4 bags of cocaine is his trunk.

I think it is not ok to laugh at other people's misery, but if they are just being plan stupid, I might let a giggle or 2 out. :)
Yeah, hardcore durgs usually do really crappy things to you.
But alchohol can trick many people by the fact of it's sheer availibility.

==
==
Old 10-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

Quote:
The same thing goes for weed though. Including the health thing, but it's not confirmed.

I think Marijuana can be confirmed as that, because it has a medicinal purpose. And it's not man made, like Ice or something. Maybe Magic Mushrooms have a medicinal property, they probably do, hallucination generating plants/herbs/fungi/whatever probably have some kind of purpose?

Erm... What did I hear about weed... Well, the actual PLANT marijuana, not the little things that you end up smoking, the PLANT, apparently, the leaves, or the roots or something or other is good for old people with... With... With something... Yeah. But you don't smoke it, I think that if you actually ATE a marijuana plant, it wouldn't be like a drug? Like burning it brings out the bad stuff? Just guessing. Now let's try burning broccoli

The Brood is growing!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Blast the Stereo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Blast the Stereo Send a message via MSN to Blast the Stereo

Mehh, alcohol is overrated.

But I don't make my friends stop. I respect their decisions, and they respect mine.

Oh, and people who do hash are fail. If you're going to do weed, do it right.

kthxbai. :]

paired with kimmi.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Master Aqua Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast the Stereo View Post
Mehh, alcohol is overrated.

But I don't make my friends stop. I respect their decisions, and they respect mine.

Oh, and people who do hash are fail. If you're going to do weed, do it right.

kthxbai. :]
Meh your lucky your friends accept you do not drink, most people in my school would think your wierd for not drinking. I hate how getting drunk is becoming somewhat acceptible.....
Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus

It's almost time for me to go to college and I still haven't experienced peer pressure with smoking, drugs, or alcohol, which is actually starting to amaze me. I had an old friend ask me if I wanted a smoke once, but when I denied it, he didn't "pressure" me into it, he just backed down. Heh, of course I don't expect the same when I get to college. :x
Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Master Aqua Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Skarmory View Post
It's almost time for me to go to college and I still haven't experienced peer pressure with smoking, drugs, or alcohol, which is actually starting to amaze me. I had an old friend ask me if I wanted a smoke once, but when I denied it, he didn't "pressure" me into it, he just backed down. Heh, of course I don't expect the same when I get to college. :x
May you not fall into he darkness (missuse of potentially dangerous subbstances).
Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

I'm not an alcoholic, but I do like a good drink. (:

Basically, to add on, I see nothing wrong with it in moderation. It's the person's lack of self control or willpower, not the alcohol, for any alcohol abuse that may occur.
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 10-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
I watched something about how a shot of red wine or two every other day is good for anyone. Yeah, even kiddies.

Alcohol is arguably more dangerous because of its availiability and because how it's socially expected for you to drink to entertain a guest or whatever. I highly doubt that anyone above the age of 30 has never drunk in their life unless they're hermits or poor. That happens to be my goal though.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 10-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Palkia247 Offline

Alcohol is a very very bad substance. It is alright if you have you know maybe 2 or 3 drinks in a pub with some mates but it can lead to worse things than drugs and such.
Alcohol is bad because of drink driving. People do it all the time and when they get busted I am sure they wish they were dead.

Hardcore drugs would own cigarettes any day as they kill people quicker than cigarettes. And besides it is easier to stop smoking than it is to stop doing drugs.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

I hate alcohol for a very, very long list of reasons that are my own. I really can't stand to even be around it.

I don't despise everyone who drinks, as long as they do it on their own time and not around me.

Hi

Old 10-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
The thing about alchohol though, is that it is HIGHLY addictive. Even if you only drink moderately, you can get hooked, leading to binge drinking.

A lot of people start out like once in a while, then like once a week... once a day... then they become bingers.

I RARELY meet people over age 40 who drink and have not once in their life binge drank.
All drugs are highly addictive, whether it's weed, cigarettes, hard drugs, or alcohol. This shouldn't be grounds to ban alcohol, unless it is used to serve as grounds to ban/restriction all neurological drugs, including cigarettes. It is known, however, that ethanol still remains the only drug that is somewhat beneficial in moderation, if the addiction aspect of it remains the same.

The second aspect of this comes from culture: it's cool to get smashed in American culture. This s why binge drinking becomes widespread. So the problem shifts not from the "addiction" POV, but rather the cultural POV. Is it, therefore, right to assume that a ban on alcohol is good? Perhaps, but at the same time, prohibition has always been highly profitable to smugglers.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:12 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN

I like how a recent study showed that the reason historal hunters-and-gatherers became less nomadic and more agricultural is not because they found out how to work the lands and manage hurds.
They actually started to stick in one place, cause they found out how to make their own version of beer.

So yea, while I myself do not drink due to religious reasons and therefor resulting physical disability to both go near anything that smells being laced with alcohol and to hold my liquor, I'm not really bothered if others want to screw up their lives with excessive drinking. To all their own, right.

-]Dr. U. Ben, M.D.[-

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around