Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-04-2008, 02:10 AM
zachattack's Avatar
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fewaf
Posts: 656
Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack
Default Your opinions on alchohol

What is your opinion on alchohol? Do you think it is a safe substance? Do you think it is worse than marajuiana, harder core drugs, and ciggarettes, or less bad?

My opinions that is goes like this.

Weed -> cigs -> hardcore drugs -> alchohol.

You are probably thinking "This guy is a total idiot" right now, but let me explain.

Weed has not been found to have really bad effects on you yet, other than the short term "high" effect, and possible memory problems after excessive use.
Smoking ciggarrettes can give you lung cancer which can kill you, obviously bad, but it's not as bad as hardcore drugs because:
hardcore drugs can kill you very quickly, whereas cigs kill you over time. Therefore, you can be killed without having any prior notice, especially if you were pressured into doing this drug and you didn't know it was that bad.
Alchohol, imo, is the worst because that alchohol disables parts of your judgement, but enables you to do certain things such as walking and communicatin, and lewd acts such as sexual intercorse, but also the main reason why I think it's bad: violence. Accidental or purposely, it can drive you to hurt, or kill OTHER people.

This, to me is the ultimate evil thing. Taking your own life or putting your own life in risk is one thing, but putting others in physical risk is another. Alchohol has the capability to kill others as well as yourself, making it one of the worst possible things you could do. Drunk driving accidents are all too common, and a lot of people get violent under the influence.

You may say "drugs do that too!", but that's not really true. Drugs usually will disable you from even moving, so you cannot really even do anything harmful to other people.


What are YOUR opinions! go ahead and disagree with me, by the way, I don't mind, that's the point.
__________________

==
==
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-04-2008, 04:13 AM
Rohypnol's Avatar
Rohypnol Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,261
Send a message via AIM to Rohypnol
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

Alcohol is fine if consumed with moderation. There's a difference between having a drink or two and getting drunk and losing your self control.

Also, I found this about marijuana.

Quote:
Marijuana and Smoking:A recent survey by the Kaiser Permanente Center found that daily marijuana-only smokers have a 19% higher rate of respiratory complaints than non-smokers. These findings were not unexpected, since it has long been known that, aside from its psychoactive ingredients, marijuana smoke contains virtually the same toxic gases and carcinogenic tars as tobacco. Human studies have found that pot smokers suffer similar kinds of respiratory damage as tobacco smokers, putting them at greater risk of bronchitis, sore throat, respiratory inflammation and infections.

Although there has not been enough epidemiological work to settle the matter definitively, it is widely suspected that marijuana smoking causes cancer. Studies have found apparently pre-cancerous cell changes in pot smokers. Some cancer specialists have reported a higher-than-expected incidence of throat, neck and tongue cancer in younger, marijuana-only smokers. A couple of cases have been fatal. While it has not been conclusively proven that marijuana smoking causes lung cancer, the evidence is highly suggestive. According to Dr. Donald Tashkin of UCLA, the leading expert on marijuana smoking:"Although more information is certainly needed, sufficient data have already been accumulated concerning the health effects of marijuana to warrant counseling by physicians against the smoking of marijuana as an important hazard to health."
__________________

DoIPutNameHere: cradily, bad game really f***** up w/o storm drain, horrible playing, i give you a 0/10, please try harder next time
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-04-2008, 04:17 AM
zachattack's Avatar
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fewaf
Posts: 656
Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrptr101 View Post
Alcohol is fine if consumed with moderation. There's a difference between having a drink or two and getting drunk and losing your self control.

Also, I found this about marijuana.
It's interesting, I'll have to see if it's really true.
But it won't change my line of badness, since ciggarrettes are worse even if these convictions are true.

Anything in moderation is okay. But a lot of people do not use these substances in moderation, so we can assume the worst.
__________________

==
==
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Master Aqua's Avatar
Master Aqua Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 8,969
Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

It's a poison, it has no befit to your body in and way shape or form period. The drinks wich contain do however are healthly to drink if drank in moderation.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Ranma's Avatar
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 3,196
Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

Id rather die quickly with hardcore drugs than die over decades slowly with a bunch of breathing problems.

And really, alchohal isn't very bad when used in moderation. You make it sound like one can / bottle will get anyone drunk. =/
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Seawolf's Avatar
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Illium
Posts: 10,894
Send a message via AIM to Seawolf
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

I've been drinking since I was 14 and I haven't killed anyone yet.


Quote:
Drugs usually will disable you from even moving, so you cannot really even do anything harmful to other people.
I guess you don't know much about meth.


Quote:
Even small amounts of methamphetamine can produce euphoria, increased alertness, paranoia, decreased appetite and increased physical activity.

People can do harmful things while under the influence of drugs, just like alcohol, so your argument is kind of invalid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AKJN...eature=related

This guy shot himself while he was high.
__________________

Last edited by Seawolf; 10-04-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2008, 04:46 AM
George Jefferson Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Right behind you
Posts: 1,694
Send a message via AIM to George Jefferson Send a message via MSN to George Jefferson Send a message via Yahoo to George Jefferson Send a message via Skype™ to George Jefferson
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

You can't "lol" without "alcohol!"

:]
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2008, 04:59 AM
Sixto's Avatar
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,656
Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
I've been drinking since I was 14 and I haven't killed anyone yet.




I guess you don't know much about meth.





People can do harmful things while under the influence of drugs, just like alcohol, so your argument is kind of invalid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AKJN...eature=related

This guy shot himself while he was high.
Haha, me too, drinking since about 14 too. It isn't healthy, I used to do it a lot more, though. For some reason, I can drink a lot but I am still aware of what I'm doing. I don't drink as much anymore, but I do it frequently. Marijuana is something I have never tried or ever will.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2008, 05:59 AM
zachattack's Avatar
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fewaf
Posts: 656
Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

Haha, I'm the opposite of you guys. I've smoked weed (14 years old) but I'll never drink.
__________________

==
==
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-05-2008, 06:28 AM
Dark Turtwig's Avatar
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Acually, can I crash at your place?
Posts: 4,249
Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

The only things that are truly, 'bad' out of those things, are hardcore drugs such as Cocaine and Meth, and cigarettes. Marijuana is a medicine, and is a natural plant, that can be used right, or wrongly by people. Alcohol (mainly beer) has been drank for hundreds of years, and is also all natural. Meth and cocaine on the other hand.. Is not natural, is created by man, and does horrible, HORRIBLE things to your brain. If you are hooked on coke, then you cannot be happy without it. Meth, same thing. Cigarettes, not as bad as Coke or Meth, but it's certainly not good. Both my parents smoke, and have tried quitting, but it's hard. I have seen them try. My mom had quit for 2 years, but had an incredibly bad day, and remembered how smoking made her feel better, and she gave in, and had one, and ended up smoking again. My dad, same thing.
__________________
{Mah Linkz}

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Stormdancer94's Avatar
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: You want to know... Why?
Posts: 782
Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

Alcohol is fine in moderate amounts, binge drinking and alcoholism is not. My father was an alcoholic, not the stereotypical raging drunk kind of guy, he just had a problem with alcohol. He went to rehab and is now what you call a recovering alcoholic, as you are never a recoverED alcoholic. It's impossible. Once you're off it, you stay off it otherwise you'll get hooked again.

Basically, anything bad, in moderate/small/extremelysmall amounts can be good. My neighbour down the road cured cancer in her cat and dog. So yeah. It was interesting.
__________________
Those who fear evil are its greatest followers.

The Brood is growing!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
Alcohol is fine in moderate amounts, binge drinking and alcoholism is not. My father was an alcoholic, not the stereotypical raging drunk kind of guy, he just had a problem with alcohol. He went to rehab and is now what you call a recovering alcoholic, as you are never a recoverED alcoholic. It's impossible. Once you're off it, you stay off it otherwise you'll get hooked again.

Basically, anything bad, in moderate/small/extremelysmall amounts can be good. My neighbour down the road cured cancer in her cat and dog. So yeah. It was interesting.
Alcohol does kill your brain cells, so I'd recommend not drinking it at all. >< Meeeeeh.
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
Alcohol does kill your brain cells, so I'd recommend not drinking it at all. >< Meeeeeh.
It does only when your enzymes can't keep up with it. It's possible to consume ethanol in concentrations that would not cause harm to your body in any shape or form, but it requires something called "moderation".

On a tangent, but by contrast, something like weed and cigarettes cause permanent damage even under moderation because it leaves things such as tar within the lungs, which is difficult to handle. There has been a number of studies that suggest that weed smokers also have respiratory problems like smokers.

Hard drugs, on the other hand, honestly hurts the body the most, even if it's simply debilitating.

In conclusion, alcohol, while is still a drug, is probably one of the "safer" drugs for use if in moderation. Outside of moderation, any drug is bad. Bottom line.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-06-2008, 02:13 AM
zachattack's Avatar
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fewaf
Posts: 656
Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
It does only when your enzymes can't keep up with it. It's possible to consume ethanol in concentrations that would not cause harm to your body in any shape or form, but it requires something called "moderation".

On a tangent, but by contrast, something like weed and cigarettes cause permanent damage even under moderation because it leaves things such as tar within the lungs, which is difficult to handle. There has been a number of studies that suggest that weed smokers also have respiratory problems like smokers.

Hard drugs, on the other hand, honestly hurts the body the most, even if it's simply debilitating.

In conclusion, alcohol, while is still a drug, is probably one of the "safer" drugs for use if in moderation. Outside of moderation, any drug is bad. Bottom line.
The thing about alchohol though, is that it is HIGHLY addictive. Even if you only drink moderately, you can get hooked, leading to binge drinking.

A lot of people start out like once in a while, then like once a week... once a day... then they become bingers.

I RARELY meet people over age 40 who drink and have not once in their life binge drank.
__________________

==
==
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 AM
Stormdancer94's Avatar
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: You want to know... Why?
Posts: 782
Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94
Default Re: Your opinions on alchohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
Alcohol does kill your brain cells, so I'd recommend not drinking it at all. >< Meeeeeh.

Yeah, but only in really big amounts and crap like spirits. Apparently when you get over 50 or whatever, a tipple of sherry occasionally is good for you? Eh. Something I heard.
__________________
Those who fear evil are its greatest followers.

The Brood is growing!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com