Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Shiron
Default Re: Question to christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda View Post
You have to believe. ^^

If you have the philosophy 'but how do we know that' than how you can be in any religions with a God? Or agree with any theories...
Ok, not to get off subject or flame anybody, but I don't have to believe anything if I don't want to, so don't tell me what I "have to" do.

I Am Everything You Ever Were Afraid Of

My Friend Code: 2922-3457-5225
Old 10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
Think about it. Life was catalyzed by meteors hitting the earth and chemical reactions happening. this was probably happening on MOST of the planets, it's just earth can sustain life.
Not really.

We defined the base needs to sustain life as breathable air and water present. Though, there enough organisms out there on Earth that don't need air or water to life.

So, there goes that theory. And just because you can't seem to find planets that are inhabitible, doesn't mean that there aren't. Heck, we've barely been able to land something on Mars. ¬¬

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 10-07-2008, 10:51 PM
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to zachattack Send a message via MSN to zachattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkUmBrEoN View Post
Not really.

We defined the base needs to sustain life as breathable air and water present. Though, there enough organisms out there on Earth that don't need air or water to life.

So, there goes that theory. And just because you can't seem to find planets that are inhabitible, doesn't mean that there aren't. Heck, we've barely been able to land something on Mars. ¬¬
Water and breatheable air are required for multicellular organisms, for the record. No one said we needed oxygen, it's just for more complex life you do. yeah, but there are other factos. Temperature is a big one, for instance. Many organisms can only survive in VERY SPECIFIC temperatures. They will die instantly (especially unicellulars) if not in that little zone. And then, let's say the plants die out, all the herbivores would die and then the carnivores. It's very very lucky that Earth has these good conditions for life.

==
==
Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Valentine_4 View Post
Yeah we started with 2 people by your beliefs so we still have the same great a billion times over aunt and uncle which means we should all have some sort of mental or physical problem.
(Most) Christian belief is the world isn't even a million years old, so it wouldn't be anywhere close to a billion times over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Shiron View Post
Ok, not to get off subject or flame anybody, but I don't have to believe anything if I don't want to, so don't tell me what I "have to" do.
He meant you have to beleive in the religion if you want to truly be in the religion. It wasn't meant to be interpreted as a command.

Quote:
Water and breatheable air are required for multicellular organisms, for the record. No one said we needed oxygen, it's just for more complex life you do. yeah, but there are other factos. Temperature is a big one, for instance. Many organisms can only survive in VERY SPECIFIC temperatures. They will die instantly (especially unicellulars) if not in that little zone. And then, let's say the plants die out, all the herbivores would die and then the carnivores. It's very very lucky that Earth has these good conditions for life.
With as you said, the very small chance that all those things needed to sustain life, wouldn't an all powerful god make more sense?

Quote:
Think about it. Life was catalyzed by meteors hitting the earth and chemical reactions happening. this was probably happening on MOST of the planets, it's just earth can sustain life.
Very specific things are needed to create and sustain life. Its no wonder we don't see any other lifeforms. I myself believe in aliens though. =/
Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer

Yeah, I kinda misinterperet stuff and take it too far

Old 10-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Soda Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Soda Send a message via MSN to Soda Send a message via Yahoo to Soda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Shiron View Post
Don't get me wrong, I implied if you wanted an explanation on why you should think God is everything, you would have to believe that he is. I wasn't giving you a command...
Old 10-08-2008, 12:41 AM
invalid Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via Yahoo to invalid

Just wanted to add my two cents:

Quote:

What I'm saying is, The chances of this perfect life place are 1 in a hundred million billion trillion almost 100% impossible.
But it happened, it just seems mindblowing becuase you do not understand the amount of failures to create a place like earth there are in the rest of the universes.
I heard somewhere that the probably of life just happening on earth is 1 : 10^10,000,000

Quote:
Not really.

Good point.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Soda Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Soda Send a message via MSN to Soda Send a message via Yahoo to Soda

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalid View Post
Just wanted to add my two cents:

I heard somewhere that the probably of life just happening on earth is 1 : 10^10,000,000
I don't get it, do you mean probability? D= And if you did, wouldn't it be odds? =P
Old 10-08-2008, 01:28 AM
invalid Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via Yahoo to invalid

Quote:
I don't get it, do you mean probability? D= And if you did, wouldn't it be odds? =P
yes that is what I meant, sorry, I'm a little fried form working 10 hours today.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:16 AM
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I implied if you wanted an explanation on why you should think God is everything, you would have to believe that he is. I wasn't giving you a command...
Yea, and I said I kinda have a habit of misinterpereting stuff and taking it too far. My bad.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:36 AM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
After thousands of years that have occured since then, and the incest actually only started with cousins. We are so unrelated by now, it doesn't really matter anymore.
Started, probably...but it still goes on. According to Time magazine or something{I'll look for it later} Sixteen out of eighteen marriages of the Rothschilds were to first cousins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post
Why do Christians stick to the current Bible? Be it the old or the new testament, you'd think that there would be an updated version for the current times. People have evolved and taken on new perspectives, so there should be no need to follow scriptures that are bound by societal rules of two thousand years ago.
Maybe not, but no one wants to try and defy it- out of fear, or whatever.

Besides...

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
-Napoleon Bonaparte

There's been too much history behind the Bible...especially for those who stand a chance to gain from it. The older it is, the more holy it will be. If it was 500 years old, people can claim that there was no historical record of god appearing to dictate it. If it was more than 2,000 years old...there's no evidence to refute that claim.

Quote:
They're looking for traces of life on other planets...we might know then, whether it was a matter of trial and error...survival of the species on the most favorable planet, or the most lucky coinc-idence.
Quote:
Not really.

I agree. xP

Oh and by the way- I believe in god to a certain degree. But I'm not a 100% believer.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:07 AM
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post
There's been too much history behind the Bible...especially for those who stand a chance to gain from it. The older it is, the more holy it will be. If it was 500 years old, people can claim that there was no historical record of god appearing to dictate it. If it was more than 2,000 years old...there's no evidence to refute that claim.
That's the basis of the bible. It's so old and aged that no one can refute it because well... it's very hard to interpret (everyone interprets it differently) therefore you can't really refute it.

==
==
Old 10-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

Quote:
That's the basis of the bible. It's so old and aged that no one can refute it because well... it's very hard to interpret (everyone interprets it differently) therefore you can't really refute it.
Try playing Chinese Whispers over 2000 odd years with the world. Maybe then you'll understand.

Question for the 'lovable' Wunschy. Since you appear to be able to justify whatever we can bomb at you, eg. The Holocaust, etc.

Justify the other religions of the world. If there is only one God, then well. You're looking a little bit wrong. And you can't say that everyone who worships... Who is a Jew, you can't say they're hallucinating and are going to hell. They wrote half your silly Bible!

Hrm. While I'm pointing fingers, I hope that people are familiar with the saying;

Giving a name to evil, only gives it power.

Well. Christianity is single handedly responsible for (and creating) Lucifer. Not only have the idiots acknowledged him with a name, they've given him a HOME, a HISTORY, MINIONS, A RELIGION. They've made him as much of a God as their own. You could say that he's just weak and can't defeat God, yet, the Bible and Christianity itself is interwoven with the machinations of their creation, the Snake who tempted Adam and Eve to eat the ******* apple, the fact that the Devil is there, that he can sustain his realm of Hell, that he can force people into his realm, yet God apparently cannot.

Way to go. Those who fear evil are its greatest followers. Look at choo guys.

The Brood is growing!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:58 AM
zachattack Offline
Elite Trainer

Come to think of it, most evils in the world are backed by religious beginnings.

Hitler (to an extent), The evil church of England in the middle ages, even brainwashed muslims who are bombing america.

All of it has to do with religion.

Otherwise, it's politics. lol.

==
==
Old 10-08-2008, 08:59 AM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN

Quote:
Come to think of it, most evils in the world are backed by religious beginnings.

Hitler (to an extent), The evil church of England in the middle ages, even brainwashed muslims who are bombing america.

All of it has to do with religion.

Otherwise, it's politics. lol.
No, sadly it has usually nothing to do with religion as a reason.

It's plain and simple human nature. If you want something, you just do it, and use whatever means available to make it seem justified.

The people behind English Church wanted power and authority, so they used the Church as a cover front and an excuse to reign.

Hitler knew that the German people had a history of not liking Jews, and well, if you can get the Pope to sign off on getting back at them, why wouldn't he try?

As for the latest fad of religious extrimists. It's a poor excuse to get young people to kill themselves. And yet, it became a self-fulfilling promise. If you use religion as an excuse, your opponents will hate you and your religion, thus getting people who don't support you but have the same religion to come over to your side.

So fact is, evil is just evil only in the eye of the beholder. You call them terrorists, they call themselves freedom fighters. You call someone a tyrant, he calls himself a just leader.

Only thing religion does is give a black-and-white distinction.

Quote:
Sadly that's where you're wrong. We just had the evolutionary benefit of being able to use oxygen in an oxygen rich environment.
Also, I never said anything about breathable air needing oxygen, nor did I say that having that would be a condition for life. I only said it was defined as such by humans.

As for temperature... So what if Mars is a few degrees colder? We darn well have plants in the desert as well as on tundras. So that's no real excuse.

Just because someone says something is so, doesn't mean it is true per definition. It's the same reasoning people use to say the Bible is full of hot air. Ironic isn't it.

-]Dr. U. Ben, M.D.[-

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around

Last edited by DaRkUmBrEoN; 10-08-2008 at 09:09 AM.