Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 09-30-2008, 08:00 PM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
The corrupt catholic church didn't kill for fun. It first declared that witches were evil (because the bible said so) and then issued orders to hunt them down. The corrupt people called innocents witchesand burned them at the stake. So really, it comes right down to the bible and the fame hungry fools carried it on.
Yet, the Bible still exists today, and none of this crap happens. You just lost The Game.

Quote:
If personal attacks make you feel big, go right ahead. I'm not the one trying to convince a whole forum that gays should be condemned.
[/QUOTE]

If personal attacks make you feel big, go right ahead. I'm not the one trying to convince a whole forum that religion should be condemned.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Vincent_Valentine_4's Avatar
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Federal Way,WA
Posts: 3,153
Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4
Default Re: Religion... Again

Just because christians haven't killed people doesn't mean you can just ignore the fact that they killed altogether and who says they wont start killing again on the news just yesterday I heard about a guy killing people and saying that god wanted him to so obviously christians still kill people.
__________________
Fc:1332-5847-5462
http://www.perfectworld.com.
My current Character is ItzPaine
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 PM
scubasteveE's Avatar
scubasteveE Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,558
Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Scott View Post
People tend to blame religions on what the followers do or believe.

Anyone can take something and change it around to mean what they want, even though what it meant a long time ago is much different. And yes, times change.

Followers can be obsessed and sometimes crazy, and it is these people that are the figurehead for religions. Let's face it, if you think of Scrubs you think of a Scrubs fanatic, not someone who has listed liking it once or twice. The same goes for religion, people tend to think of the worse. The violence. The wars carried out in its name. Not the good things.


And I have never heard anywhere that Death Metal = grounds for Hell.

It's also funny to see people bash one religion and then uplift their own.
Wow out of this thread, he made the most sense out of any of yall. Ok chirstians has done bad stuff but they have done good stuff. I mean no one is perfect.
__________________
Everybody loves a comback! I'm still kicking and still diving.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Tory vs Meaty II's Avatar
Tory vs Meaty II Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 4,445
Send a message via ICQ to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via AIM to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via MSN to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Yahoo to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Skype™ to Tory vs Meaty II
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrptr101 View Post
You're intolerant to religious people yet you expect people who are religious to tolerate you.
LOl, becuase of what I said? That is the same thing is saying "I want to marry the same race as me." And others will think that you are racist, but not. And the person who said that do respect all ethnic groups. There is nothing wrong with someone want to marry the same race. That is very common anyway. Since I'm multi-racial, I don't really care what race I will marry. And even if I wasn't, I would to the same thing. kingrptr101, I respect all members of religions, all sex natures, ethnic groups, genders etc.

By the way, instead of using "Wunschkind's" name so much, and trying to predict that he will ruin the thread, you are making it worst. I know he had so many arguements in thread involve marriage, abortion, and mostly, well, religion.
__________________


~ Banner & avatar by me ~
Bye PE2K, I am leaving forever.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 PM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Valentine_4 View Post
Just because christians haven't killed people doesn't mean you can just ignore the fact that they killed altogether and who says they wont start killing again on the news just yesterday I heard about a guy killing people and saying that god wanted him to so obviously christians still kill people.
And atheists are perfect? LOL!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Demon_Shiron's Avatar
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Deadzone
Posts: 512
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Shiron
Default Re: Religion... Again

Are you perfect? Let me answer that for you. No. Nobody's perfect.
__________________


I Am Everything You Ever Were Afraid Of

My Friend Code: 2922-3457-5225
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Vincent_Valentine_4's Avatar
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Federal Way,WA
Posts: 3,153
Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
And atheists are perfect? LOL!
What does that have to do with anything? I understand that no body is perfect and that no one can be not now not in the past not ever it can't happen but I don't see why old christians felt that they had to kill all the non christians back in the day just what exactly did the bible say during their time? Because if the bible back then was anything like how it is now then no one should have been killed because it's in the ten commandments thou shalt not commit murder and if they were supposedly christians they wouldn't have killed anyone so I'm just curious what the bible said back in those days.
__________________
Fc:1332-5847-5462
http://www.perfectworld.com.
My current Character is ItzPaine
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-30-2008, 11:56 PM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Shiron View Post
Are you perfect? Let me answer that for you. No. Nobody's perfect.
I never said I was. If he blames Christianity for crimes committed by Christians, than atheism should be to blame for crimes committed by atheists.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-01-2008, 12:05 AM
scubasteveE's Avatar
scubasteveE Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,558
Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Valentine_4 View Post
What does that have to do with anything? I understand that no body is perfect and that no one can be not now not in the past not ever it can't happen but I don't see why old christians felt that they had to kill all the non christians back in the day just what exactly did the bible say during their time? Because if the bible back then was anything like how it is now then no one should have been killed because it's in the ten commandments thou shalt not commit murder and if they were supposedly christians they wouldn't have killed anyone so I'm just curious what the bible said back in those days.
Yes you are right. For example, they shouldn't have killed those people in the witch trials. Yes the Bible said they were evil, but I'm pretty sure it did not say to go and kill them. People act on the first thought that comes to their head even if it was right or wrong. They read in the Bible that witches are evil, then go out, accuse someone person for being a witch with no evidence, and then form a riot to go hut them down. The Bible was properly written the same back, but people got the wrong meaning.

Also my sister practices wicka(I guess that is how you spell it) and I am a chirstian. You don't see me tying her up to a pole and burning her?
__________________
Everybody loves a comback! I'm still kicking and still diving.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-01-2008, 02:25 AM
Demon_Shiron's Avatar
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Deadzone
Posts: 512
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Shiron
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
I never said I was. If he blames Christianity for crimes committed by Christians, than atheism should be to blame for crimes committed by atheists.
Just get out... You always turn these into flame-fests...
__________________


I Am Everything You Ever Were Afraid Of

My Friend Code: 2922-3457-5225
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-01-2008, 04:37 AM
Surly Professor's Avatar
Surly Professor Offline
Monsterous
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Terra Incognita
Posts: 2,028
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
Answer what? It was a feeble attempt at trolling.
:/
Partial credit: the wording was pretty horrible, and I understand that you don't want to deal with a question where an honest answer is to admit insanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Shiron View Post
Just get out... You always turn these into flame-fests...
Speaking of insanity; Einstein once defined it as: doing the same thing over & over again expecting different results.
This iz religion threadz.

Religion is a bad thing to discuss in most company, because it's just woven so deeply into some people. It means everything. It means everlasting life!
And, it's personal. Any variance of oppinion is a trespass into that personal truth. Every disagreement is a slaughtered sacred cow.
__________________

The good can decay many ways.
The good candy came anyways.

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,469
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Religion... Again

Wunschkind! I should've known you'd pop up the moment I saw this thread. Oh wait... I did. And don't think I'm discriminating against you by mainly responding to your posts, it's just easier for me because yours are shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
And that's fine. I'm not going to marry an atheist. You want the person you're going to spend the rest of your life with to share your views.
I don't. I want someone who will challenge my views, who's views I can challenge. If I'm going to be with someone for the rest of my life I want us to be able to learn from each other, and religious views are some of the best things you can learn from, in most cases (not all, see Nazi Germany)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
And atheists are perfect? LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
I never said I was. If he blames Christianity for crimes committed by Christians, than atheism should be to blame for crimes committed by atheists.
You seem to be missing the point Wunschkind. He's not blaming Christianity for crimes committed by Christians, he's blaming Christianity for crimes committed in the name of Christianity. There's a difference. I disagree with him greatly, the blame should be placed on the people who committed the crimes, but I see where he's coming from and I respect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Shiron View Post
Just get out... You always turn these into flame-fests...
Shiron, don't. Wunschkind has as much right as you or me to post here. See, flame-fests require multiple people. All everyone has to remember is, don't get into a flame war with him. I'm sure he doesn't want flaming any more than the rest of us.

On the topic of religion in general, and blaming it for everything, no. Religion is actually an excellent thing, it gives people answers to the world around them and gives them faith in the future. For instance, a good Christian has nothing to fear from death because he knows he'll go to heaven. A Hindu has nothing to fear from death because he'll simply be reincarnated, and as long as he has good karma it'll work out for the better. And a Buddhist has nothing to fear from it because not only will they be reincarnated, but they'll also be one step closer to reaching nirvana and breaking the cycle. But what do atheists and other non-religious folk like me have to look forward to? Nothingness. And empty void of absolute despair and darkness that would be far worse than the deepest depths of hell itself because in the end, assuming we still have conscious thought, the loneliness and suffocating darkness would drive us mad. Hm... why do I want to go listen to death metal now? I hate death metal.

Likewise, we have religion to thank for most modern laws. Many American laws, for instance, are based off of Jeudo-Christian values. Let's face it, if religion had never existed the world would be in chaos. True, we could probably function without it now, but still...

Anyway, now it's Khajmer's turn. I'm an agnostic, which, for those of you don't know, basically means "I don't know." I don't know if there is a god, and I don't presume to know if there is and if so which one(s). I don't pretend like any one religion can have all the answers. I will never forget one very interesting afternoon in middle school where I was asking the Gods (which I use to refer to every single god of every religion out there and then some) for it to snow so I wouldn't have to take a test, and some girl walked up to me and said "There's only one God." I asked her "How do you know that?" And her reply was "Because I'm a Christian." To this day, those people sicken me. I won't knock religion and believing that your faith is right, but don't automatically assume that that makes it true. It's an opinion, not a fact.

And now, for a special piece on Christianity. I apologize to any I may offend.

Christianity confuses me. You believe yourselves the followers of Jesus, but at the same time you don't follow many of his teachings (most predominately being "Judge not lest ye be judged", as most of you condemn the rest of us to hell, a judgment on your part), you believe him to be the son of God and also the incarnation of God at the same time, you believe he established the Christian Church (so I'm told) and yet historically that was St. Paul, and you blame the Jews for Jesus' execution but a) that was supposed to happen in the first place as the great sacrifice and redemption of mankind, not to mention the fact that he was executed for the crime of sedition and nothing of a religious sort, not to mention a bunch of other stuff that I don't even know as I have yet to take the time to pick up a Bible and read it. If anyone who knows the Bible wants to challenge this then go ahead, I won't stop you. I'd actually be pleased to learn.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-01-2008, 05:01 AM
SiberianTiger's Avatar
SiberianTiger Offline
Ultra RPG Official
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Unlike you, the real world
Posts: 6,661
Send a message via AIM to SiberianTiger
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Professor View Post
Religion is a bad thing to discuss in most company, because it's just woven so deeply into some people. It means everything. It means everlasting life!
And, it's personal. Any variance of oppinion is a trespass into that personal truth. Every disagreement is a slaughtered sacred cow.
Politics, Religion, and Evolution discussions should be banned on this forum, I'm quite amazed at how often this stuff continuelly pops up even though the only viable outcome is another locked thread.

Closing Time

~Isaiah
__________________


URPG Stats Gone In Sixty Seconds
Legendary Traitor
[22:48] Zinata360: I got my avvie done
[22:49] Zinata360: May Norman, she'll eat your babies.
[22:49] TigerintheArk: Dude, that so fails. Doesn't fit at all.
[22:49] Zinata360: Fine, what should I make it say?
[22:49] Ultramr101: May Norman, she'll have your babies.
Ask Me To Ref
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Stormdancer94's Avatar
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: You want to know... Why?
Posts: 782
Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
The keyboard doesn't make typos. Religion doesn't make crazies.

That's the best thing I've heard in a while. Religion doesn't make crazies... Pfft, ever heard of the Taliban my dear Wunschy? They committed 9/11 because their 'God' told them to. The Witch Hunts of the Medieval times? The numerous Crusades? People have gone INSANE because of religion. True. Keyboards don't make typos, it's the fingers that slip, but religion isn't a keyboard. It's not a finger either. Religion is a powerful force and in the wrong hands can be the most dangerous weapon on the planet, because it is the people. People believe in religion because it gives them faith, it's a power they can relate to and it explains some things for them, whether or not the explanations that religion gives are true or not is up to people to believe.

Wunschkind, and everyone in this thread. Please stop turning this into another flame war. If handled properly, this thread could become an extremely valuable and rich discussion. And please let's not have another 10 posts after me saying; "[Insert name] Started it!" Over and over with a continuous childish argument... Please? I'm interested in other people's views on OTHER RELIGIONS. I'm quite sick of Christianity towering over this.
__________________
Those who fear evil are its greatest followers.

The Brood is growing!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Surly Professor's Avatar
Surly Professor Offline
Monsterous
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Terra Incognita
Posts: 2,028
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger Crysis View Post
Politics, Religion, and Evolution discussions should be banned on this forum, I'm quite amazed at how often this stuff continuelly pops up even though the only viable outcome is another locked thread.
Really? You want to censor these topics entirely from the forums?
I'ld like to stick them, and consider them a quarantine.
__________________

The good can decay many ways.
The good candy came anyways.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com