Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 09-30-2008, 03:10 AM
Surly Professor's Avatar
Surly Professor Offline
Monsterous
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Terra Incognita
Posts: 2,028
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
The keyboard doesn't make typos. Religion doesn't make crazies.
Well, you're not crazy until you believe crazy things right?
__________________

The good can decay many ways.
The good candy came anyways.

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-30-2008, 03:20 AM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Professor View Post
Well, you're not crazy until you believe crazy things right?
This just further proves my point that people ignorantly look down on religion. Are they afraid of it or what? I don't get it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-30-2008, 03:21 AM
Tory vs Meaty II's Avatar
Tory vs Meaty II Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 4,445
Send a message via ICQ to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via AIM to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via MSN to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Yahoo to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Skype™ to Tory vs Meaty II
Default Re: Religion... Again

I'm agnostic, and yes, some people do acept the way I am. I would only marry someone who doesn't believe in the Bible, or any related religious book like that. They can be agnostic, atheist, etc., it is fine with me.
__________________


~ Banner & avatar by me ~
Bye PE2K, I am leaving forever.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-30-2008, 03:23 AM
Emily's Avatar
Emily Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Firin' mah lazarz!
Posts: 1,490
Send a message via AIM to Emily Send a message via MSN to Emily Send a message via Skype™ to Emily
Default Re: Religion... Again

ITT: Let's all flame religion.

Also, Wunschkind needs to gtfo religion threads. You're going to give yourself high blood pressure, Wunschy. :)
__________________
history is interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-30-2008, 03:24 AM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory vs Meaty II View Post
I'm agnostic, and yes, some people do acept the way I am. I would only marry someone who doesn't believe in the Bible, or any related religious book like that. They can be agnostic, atheist, etc., it is fine with me.
And that's fine. I'm not going to marry an atheist. You want the person you're going to spend the rest of your life with to share your views.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-30-2008, 03:30 AM
Vincent_Valentine_4's Avatar
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Federal Way,WA
Posts: 3,153
Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4
Default Re: Religion... Again

Well the bible has talked about how much good jesus has done for people and it also states that he loves us all the same so shouldn't he show us all the same amount of love so people who have life changing experiences should not just be a small percent but 100 percent seems how we are all equals and should be treated that way. Also if Jesus loved us all so much why would he let all of the depressed people in the world kill themselves without trying in the least to make them feel better he has done so much in the past why wont he help us right now when we need it the most? Those right there are just some reasons of why I believe there is no god.
__________________
Fc:1332-5847-5462
http://www.perfectworld.com.
My current Character is ItzPaine
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 AM
Surly Professor's Avatar
Surly Professor Offline
Monsterous
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Terra Incognita
Posts: 2,028
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
This just further proves my point that people ignorantly look down on religion. Are they afraid of it or what? I don't get it.
I don't "ignorantly look down on religion"... I have very enlightened reasons.

Afraid?
You avoided my question as if you might be afraid to answer it.
In fact it doesn't even look like you're talking to me directly here, more like using me as Exhibit S.

Calm yourself, re-read what I wrote in the post above, and answer it honestly.
__________________

The good can decay many ways.
The good candy came anyways.

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Snow Fairy Sugar's Avatar
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Land of the Blue Roses
Posts: 5,865
Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
Religion doesn't make crazies.
Religion may not make crazies, but there do tend to be fanatics and cults that spawn because of religion after all. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
This just further proves my point that people ignorantly look down on religion. Are they afraid of it or what? I don't get it.
Religion is optional, Wunsch. People can chose to believe in what they want.

Also, I have followed your arguments around these topics a lot- much more than you would believe, and for someone your age, you're either striking interesting points through luck, or experience/sermons. It might be true that religion and beliefs can relieve pain...but there's still this- Psychologist Miguel Farias, one of the team, admitted that a similar effect may be produced by non-believers if a sufficiently powerful image was used.

He said: "We would need to find a picture of someone they feel very positive towards, such as a mother or father."
}

One should not have to much store in religion...what one should have more faith in is responsibility and duty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Valentine_4 View Post
Well the bible has talked about how much good jesus has done for people and it also states that he loves us all the same so shouldn't he show us all the same amount of love so people who have life changing experiences should not just be a small percent but 100 percent seems how we are all equals and should be treated that way. Also if Jesus loved us all so much why would he let all of the depressed people in the world kill themselves without trying in the least to make them feel better he has done so much in the past why wont he help us right now when we need it the most? Those right there are just some reasons of why I believe there is no god.
Isn't that what life is about? Taking challenges, experiencing challenges, life, pain and sorrow? Do you think that people didn't strive hard to become happy? Current billionnaires have had a terrible start and a depressing life when they started out- Youtube, Google, HP started out in garages. Steve Jobs had no money for food and used to earn money selling used coke cans. How did he become one of the greatest pioneers? Through taking the challenge of life and turning it his way, or playing 'possum?

Fact of life is, you've got to experience things, learn the facts of life, and learn how to overcome them. The path to the top's not an easy climb. x3

I've been reading a book by an author, and in the preface, he's put an interesting quote.

To get profit without risk, experience without danger and reward without work is as impossible as it is to live without being born.

A. P. Gouthey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Valentine_4 View Post
Everyone knows that Wunshkind doesn't listen to reason we could prove that god doesn't exist in 10 different ways and he still would call us all idiots he just doesn't listen to what anyone says although he shouldn't bother posting if he doesn't even listen to us and give us a good arguement.
There are a number of things in all fields of life, including advanced fields such as Mathematics, Science, Engineering and Finance..that don't have proof, and are called assumptions or theories. The number 'i' doesn't exist, and it's used multiple times in Electronic Engineering. Yet, its considered as 'existing' for the sake of completing the theories. Curious, isn't it? :F


Mod Warning: Theories =/= theories. A theory is not something that exists for the sake of completion of something else, but rather making sense of observations made in the natural world. A single theory should not include anything that isn't observable for it to be a theory.
__________________

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 10-02-2008 at 04:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-30-2008, 10:44 AM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Professor View Post
I don't "ignorantly look down on religion"... I have very enlightened reasons.

Afraid?
You avoided my question as if you might be afraid to answer it.
In fact it doesn't even look like you're talking to me directly here, more like using me as Exhibit S.

Calm yourself, re-read what I wrote in the post above, and answer it honestly.
Answer what? It was a feeble attempt at trolling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Azure Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 284
Default Re: Religion... Again

Erhm.... *rubs hands*

Okay, time for my next battle with Wunschkind.

So, religion does not make people crazy? Have you never heard of the term 'religious wars'? Let's look at the definition:

A religious war is a war caused by religious differences. It can involve one state with an established religion against another state with a different religion or a different sect within the same religion, or a religiously motivated group attempting to spread its faith by violence, or to suppress another group because of its religious beliefs or practices.

Very basic, yes? Easy to understand. But this definition is nothing without examples to back it up.

So let's take Islam. And here's a link for you to ponder over: http://www.ghandchi.com/191-religiouswars.htm

Shi'as versus Sunnis. A conflict over what people believe. Doesn't that sound stupid? It sure does to me.

Let's take Jews. Here's another link for you: http://www.historyguy.com/arab_israeli_wars.html

This is a list of the Arab-Jewish wars. The reason for this is also quite laughable. The Jewish simply believe that Israel is their homeland and where they should stay and they're willing to drive the Arabs out for it.

But wait.... this is Wunschking I'm talking to. The Wunshkind who believes that Christianity is the best religion. Who believes that we should pray to god because the Bible says so. Who believes that homosexuals are unnatural because the Bible says so. Let's turn to Christianity.

Unless they're not teaching you anything in the school you go to, the pages of history are splattered with the blood of innocents that the Christians killed. Have you ever heard of the Crusades? The medieval witch hunts?

There it is, Wunschkind. All the proof that you'll ever need about the atrocities that religion has caused in the world. There are plenty more, of course, if you only bothered to use wikipedia or a search engine.

And in case you haven't recognised me by now, I'm Poke Poke. Good day.
__________________
Oh yeah
I'm back
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Vincent_Valentine_4's Avatar
Vincent_Valentine_4 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Federal Way,WA
Posts: 3,153
Send a message via AIM to Vincent_Valentine_4
Default Re: Religion... Again

Isn't that what life is about? Taking challenges, experiencing challenges, life, pain and sorrow? Do you think that people didn't strive hard to become happy? Current billionnaires have had a terrible start and a depressing life when they started out- Youtube, Google, HP started out in garages. Steve Jobs had no money for food and used to earn money selling used coke cans. How did he become one of the greatest pioneers? Through taking the challenge of life and turning it his way, or playing 'possum?

Fact of life is, you've got to experience things, learn the facts of life, and learn how to overcome them. The path to the top's not an easy climb. x3


You're right but what about the people who get to depressed and kill themselves if there was in fact a god shouldn't he do something to help them seems how he loves us all so very much and we are all equals and he has helped so many others and done so much? I understand life isn't easy but there are people who refuse to keep trying and do kill themselves I just don't get why a god who loves us all so much would let us go burn in hell without at least trying to show us there is still good in the world.
__________________
Fc:1332-5847-5462
http://www.perfectworld.com.
My current Character is ItzPaine
www.myspace.com/thomashoyt I are awesome
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ostcount=19347
Brawl FC:1633-3939-2142
"Put this in your sig if religion is just used to manipulate and control people."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 PM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Erhm.... *rubs hands*

Okay, time for my next battle with Wunschkind.

So, religion does not make people crazy? Have you never heard of the term 'religious wars'? Let's look at the definition:

A religious war is a war caused by religious differences. It can involve one state with an established religion against another state with a different religion or a different sect within the same religion, or a religiously motivated group attempting to spread its faith by violence, or to suppress another group because of its religious beliefs or practices.

Very basic, yes? Easy to understand. But this definition is nothing without examples to back it up.

So let's take Islam. And here's a link for you to ponder over: http://www.ghandchi.com/191-religiouswars.htm

Shi'as versus Sunnis. A conflict over what people believe. Doesn't that sound stupid? It sure does to me.

Let's take Jews. Here's another link for you: http://www.historyguy.com/arab_israeli_wars.html

This is a list of the Arab-Jewish wars. The reason for this is also quite laughable. The Jewish simply believe that Israel is their homeland and where they should stay and they're willing to drive the Arabs out for it.

But wait.... this is Wunschking I'm talking to. The Wunshkind who believes that Christianity is the best religion. Who believes that we should pray to god because the Bible says so. Who believes that homosexuals are unnatural because the Bible says so. Let's turn to Christianity.

Unless they're not teaching you anything in the school you go to, the pages of history are splattered with the blood of innocents that the Christians killed. Have you ever heard of the Crusades? The medieval witch hunts?

There it is, Wunschkind. All the proof that you'll ever need about the atrocities that religion has caused in the world. There are plenty more, of course, if you only bothered to use wikipedia or a search engine.
So what you're saying is religion had everything to do with those things, and the people were completely innocent? Were they possessed or something?

Bringing up the Crusades and the Witch Trials just shows how ignorant you are. Both happened BEFORE the Reformation when the corrupt Catholic Church was in power.

Mod Warning:Ad hominem much?
__________________

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 10-02-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Haze's Avatar
Haze Offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,895
Send a message via AIM to Haze
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Unless they're not teaching you anything in the school you go to, the pages of history are splattered with the blood of innocents that the Christians killed. Have you ever heard of the Crusades? The medieval witch hunts?

There it is, Wunschkind. All the proof that you'll ever need about the atrocities that religion has caused in the world. There are plenty more, of course, if you only bothered to use wikipedia or a search engine.
You can't just say Christianity is the only religion which has shed blood. Also, the crusades, that was how people settled their differences back then, they didn't have the same standards as we do now. There's always going to be conflict when people's beliefs are contradicted. If you could remember correctly Christianity/religion was mandatory to learn at almost every school in the world. Not like Atheists haven't done anything just as bad :|. I hope that was confusing for you ^____^
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyurgh View Post
Yeah, but if you switched places with Scarlett Johanssen, and then felt her up, wouldn't you just be playing with yourself?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Azure Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 284
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind
So what you're saying is religion had everything to do with those things, and the people were completely innocent?
Yes.

Quote:
Bringing up the Crusades and the Witch Trials just shows how ignorant you are. Both happened BEFORE the Reformation when the corrupt Catholic Church was in power.
The corrupt catholic church didn't kill for fun. It first declared that witches were evil (because the bible said so) and then issued orders to hunt them down. The corrupt people called innocents witchesand burned them at the stake. So really, it comes right down to the bible and the fame hungry fools carried it on.

Quote:
Oh, the Internet tough guy. Here I was thinking you finally went outside and did something, but I guess I was wrong.
If personal attacks make you feel big, go right ahead. I'm not the one trying to convince a whole forum that gays should be condemned.

EDIT:

Quote:
You can't just say Christianity is the only religion which has shed blood. Also, the crusades, that was how people settled their differences back then, they didn't have the same standards as we do now. There's always going to be conflict when people's beliefs are contradicted. If you could remember correctly Christianity/religion was mandatory to learn at almost every school in the world, you're just picking a specific one to blame everything on. I hope that was confusing for you ^____^
I'm guessing that you completely ignored my references to the muslims and Jews. I gave christianity an emphasis because it's Wunschkind's religion.
__________________
Oh yeah
I'm back

Last edited by Azure; 09-30-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Rohypnol's Avatar
Rohypnol Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,261
Send a message via AIM to Rohypnol
Default Re: Religion... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory vs Meaty II View Post
I'm agnostic, and yes, some people do acept the way I am. I would only marry someone who doesn't believe in the Bible, or any related religious book like that. They can be agnostic, atheist, etc., it is fine with me.
You're intolerant to religious people yet you expect people who are religious to tolerate you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
Bringing up the Crusades and the Witch Trials just shows how ignorant you are. Both happened BEFORE the Reformation when the corrupt Catholic Church was in power.
Yes, that would be correct. The Crusades were indeed before a great number of influential people decided to go like, "Hai guise, I don't like this part of my current religion so I'm ganna liek, change some stuffs and ttly start my own Church cuz i'm kewl like that ^_^ nyyyaa~" That's why there are THOUSANDS of branches of Christianity now.
__________________

DoIPutNameHere: cradily, bad game really f***** up w/o storm drain, horrible playing, i give you a 0/10, please try harder next time
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com