Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Shiron
Default Religion... Again

Yeah, your opinion. To me, religion is just another form of discrimination. Now before you call me an atheist or anything like that, let me get a chance to explain why I said that... Most religion's I have seen have had mostly the same set of rules:
1) If you're homosexual/bisexual, YOU GO TO HELL
2) If you listen to death metal or anything like that, YOU GO TO HELL
3) If you don't belive in their Deity, YOU GO TO HELL

So, here's my question on that... It's a sin for two people of the same sex to be happy with each other? It's a sin to express yourself? Well, obviously I'm goin to hell cuz I broke all three of those rules. Now you may say "Oh, your arguments not complete and blah blah blah", and you're right, I only pointed out the stuff that bothered me. Now before I start ranting and raving too much, I'll just go and let you guys put your opinions and debate and whatnot.

I Am Everything You Ever Were Afraid Of

My Friend Code: 2922-3457-5225
Old 09-28-2008, 05:31 PM
pseudopseudo Offline
Banned

Default Re: Religion... Again

I'm no religion expert or religious at all, but, yes, from what I've heard, it's a sin to be a homosexual. Happiness or "expressing yourself" is not a sin. You just linked something that is a sin with two things that aren't. It's a sin to kill 10,000 innocent people to makes you feel happy or express yourself? That is your logic.

Last edited by pseudopseudo; 09-28-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Pokol DaErran Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelover View Post
Yeah, your opinion. To me, religion is just another form of discrimination. Now before you call me an atheist or anything like that, let me get a chance to explain why I said that... Most religion's I have seen have had mostly the same set of rules:

So, here's my question on that... It's a sin for two people of the same sex to be happy with each other? It's a sin to express yourself? Well, obviously I'm goin to hell cuz I broke all three of those rules. Now you may say "Oh, your arguments not complete and blah blah blah", and you're right, I only pointed out the stuff that bothered me. Now before I start ranting and raving too much, I'll just go and let you guys put your opinions and debate and whatnot.
XD Best... Religious summary... EVER.
But I think you shouldn't have revived this...

Mod Warning: It's in poor taste to insult another person, whether it may be true or not. Also, no contribution to topic at hand.

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 09-28-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudopseudo View Post
I'm no religion expert or religious at all, but, yes, from what I've heard, it's a sin to be a homosexual. Happiness or "expressing yourself" is not a sin. You just linked something that is a sin with two things that aren't. It's a sin to kill 10,000 innocent people to makes you feel happy or express yourself? That is your logic.
What I meant by expressing yourself was listening to what music you like and wear what clothes you like; and by happieness I meant for two homosexuals to be together, it wasn't applying to hetero couples (at least for that example).

Mod Warning: No. You shouldn't insult someone else either.

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 09-28-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:49 PM
pseudopseudo Offline
Banned

Quote:
What I meant by expressing yourself was listening to what music you like and wear what clothes you like; and by happieness I meant for two homosexuals to be together, it wasn't applying to hetero couples (at least for that example).
I think you may need to get your facts and logic straight before making yourself look foolish by ranting.

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 09-28-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer

meh. lets just put our opinions and not let this turn into a flame-fest.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:

It seems more like a statement on Christianity more than anything. There are other religions, are there not? Why not talk about how Karma measures up to those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudopseudo View Post
To some parts of Christianity, not believing in Christ equates sinning. Preference in music is the only real thing that can't be equated to sin, though some people may disagree due to preference.

His point, however, is that there are a number of sins that don't actually cause any sort of bodily harm to anybody else in the world. He finds those sins to be unacceptable as they can be merely attributed to genetics or preferences in life.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

Quote:

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Atheist-Buddhist religion is the best. It makes sense and Buddha doesn't make himself known as some BIG CREATOR OF THE WORLD (Oh yes, because God is a MANLY MAN.) or anything, he's a teacher. Simple as that.

And with all these strict codes that CHristianity puts on people well... Lucifer he wanted to rule, dominate, have loads of rules so no-one had free will... Hrm, doesn't correspond to the above quote does it? Oh no sir.

A little topic people might not know: Lucifer, God's former right hand man, was actually the angel of music! It's only a matter of time before someone realises that and tries to ban music like John Howard once tried to ban the internets (God old Johnny. So glad you're gone.)

I'm wondering how, basically, the religion that the Taliban followed and whichever God told them to do 9/11 or whatever drugged up dream that was, got bagged and abused and stuff like that, but... And here's the but. Christianity has murdered MILLIONS of people throughout the past millennium and they're the 'Top Religion'?

But onto another religion besides flaming the 'Oh So Exploitable' Christianity;

Buddhism. I've recently introduced myself to this wonderful... Way of life. Buddha doesn't consider himself God, he sees himself as a teacher and basically wants to teach people his completely sensible and perfectly plausible ways of life. Truly, for someone like myself, it really fits. There are many ideals and rules that I haven't looked into and maybe I don't want to. Being a Buddhist doesn't mean you have to go to the temple every whichday if you don't want to I guess. I follow that 'religion' just for it's ideals, morals and peaceful way of life. (GTFO of Tibet China.)

Mod Warning: No Ad hominem. While I'm at it, it's not ok to "flame" a religion, whether it's Christianity or not.

The Brood is growing!

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 09-29-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:09 AM
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer

yeah, and i really only know about the "main" religions... maybe i should do more homework. and for you storm, agreeable as always

Old 09-29-2008, 02:17 AM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott

People tend to blame religions on what the followers do or believe.

Anyone can take something and change it around to mean what they want, even though what it meant a long time ago is much different. And yes, times change.

Followers can be obsessed and sometimes crazy, and it is these people that are the figurehead for religions. Let's face it, if you think of Scrubs you think of a Scrubs fanatic, not someone who has listed liking it once or twice. The same goes for religion, people tend to think of the worse. The violence. The wars carried out in its name. Not the good things.

And I have never heard anywhere that Death Metal = grounds for Hell.

It's also funny to see people bash one religion and then uplift their own.

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."
Old 09-29-2008, 02:49 AM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Send a message via AIM to Seawolf

I don't really follow anything; I just don't think religion is something I need in my life. I find most of them to be corrupt, anyway.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Pokol DaErran Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
Mod Warning: No Ad hominem. While I'm at it, it's not ok to "flame" a religion, whether it's Christianity or not.
Isn't that the entire point of this thread? XD
And for my soon to be mod-censored contribution, I will now flame religious wars.

Is it just me, or is it sort of moronic that people kill millions over a disagreement in one event over the course of history? The idiots who fight each other over a couple of sentences on a page (I'm talking to YOU, Osama bin Laden) are probably the worst of the worst. It's really gotten to the point where people will crush dreams, destroy hopes, and impose their belief on others at any cost. I'm not saying that I oppose trying to express your opinion, but I think that the kind of people who try and force others to agree with them are one of the worst threats to good, and they need to be annihlated ASAP if they would go as far as what's happening in Iraq to eliminate free speech.

I'm usually not amoral, but I can't help but think killing people like bin Laden wouldn't weigh too heavily on my consicence.

And if someone says this is flaming Muslims, I don't see how, since unfortunately, plenty of religious groups (and plenty of nonreligious people) could stand as an example equally well. However, I AM flaming terrorists and tyrants. If either of those groups have a complaint, fire away.

Mod Warning: It's not ok to flame a religion, though I never said anything about the people who believe in said religion.

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 10-02-2008 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:30 AM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokol DaErran View Post
Isn't that the entire point of this thread? XD
And for my soon to be mod-censored contribution, I will now flame religious wars.

Is it just me, or is it sort of moronic that people kill millions over a disagreement in one event over the course of history? The idiots who fight each other over a couple of sentences on a page (I'm talking to YOU, Osama bin Laden) are probably the worst of the worst. It's really gotten to the point where people will crush dreams, destroy hopes, and impose their belief on others at any cost. I'm not saying that I oppose trying to express your opinion, but I think that the kind of people who try and force others to agree with them are one of the worst threats to good, and they need to be annihlated ASAP if they would go as far as what's happening in Iraq to eliminate free speech.

I'm usually not amoral, but I can't help but think killing people like bin Laden wouldn't weigh too heavily on my consicence.

And if someone says this is flaming Muslims, I don't see how, since unfortunately, plenty of religious groups (and plenty of nonreligious people) could stand as an example equally well. However, I AM flaming terrorists and tyrants. If either of those groups have a complaint, fire away.
So you think religion is to blame for some spinarak's insanity?

Last edited by Surly Professor; 10-01-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:01 AM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

I believe in god...to a degree. I think he exists and all that, but I believe that religion and science should co-exist.

People who say that Science and Mathematics are existing, god doesn't exist are quite wrong. After all, everything in the world is just specualtion...right from betting on Stock Exchanges to usage of imaginary numbers "i" that do not even exist, for their own benefit. Science, Maths...as far as I've seen, use theories and figures, that technically is unproven and inexistent{For example, a number of equations I study in Mechanical and Electronic Engineering's got the number i in them used many times{For example, in Alternating Current}, which is equal to square root of minus one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_unit

Since there is no real number that produces a negative real number when squared, we imagine such a number and assign to it the symbol i. It is important to realize, though, that i is as well-defined a mathematical construct as the real numbers, despite its formal name and being less than immediately intuitive.}

Technically, it does not exist, so for scientific purposes{That is, giving mathematicians and others peace of mind} they depend on non-existent features...I do believe that it is alright for people to believe in god, so long as it gives them solace...that the feeling that someone more powerful is watching over them.

What I am against: People trying to obstruct course of humanity and creating disharmony in humanity with religion as an excuse- Al Qaida for example, and people who believe in destiny and hoping it can help them achieve their goals, instead of making your goals and achieving it yourself. Leaving everything to destiny is laziness...not faith.

And about Jesus: No doubt such a man existed, and I'm grateful for the teachings he has given to humanity.

@ Wunschkind: Of course. Not "to blame", but..."indirectly responsible".

Last edited by Snow Fairy Sugar; 09-30-2008 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Stupid typo. :E
Old 09-30-2008, 02:30 AM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post

@ Wunschking: Of course. Not "to blame", but..."indirectly responsible".
The keyboard doesn't make typos. Religion doesn't make crazies.