Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 09-21-2008, 02:03 AM
Symerwizkid22 Offline

Default Do you hate rap? Well get your notebooks out.

This is a typical quote from someone who hates rap, "Rap is stupid because it's just all about drugs, sex, money, rape, and being gangster." Now, this is a completely reasonable response, especially for those who don't really listen to much underground rap; or mostly just mainstream rap (Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, etc.)

Well, why did you enter this thread? Chances are you either a) wanted to agree with me or b) defend rap or c) say that all I/we do is listen to mainstream rap and that is why we have no appreciation for the genre. Well, I'm here to introduce you folks to some good rap that even those of you who don't like rap might even find somewhat enjoyable.

Now, lets start our lesson off with some Jurassic 5. For the purposes of this thread, I am going to use the song 'A Day At The Races,' since a good portion of you have probably played Tony Hawk's Underground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQWoKLoDXao

How's you like it? The style is simple. A basic beat with minimal bass, yet some smooth rhymes and basic lyrics make the song very appealing to the ears. The lyrics really don't spread a message (like some rappers), but they are simple and work.

Now we're going to change it up a little bit and let you enjoy some rhythmic tunes of Mr. Lif. Mr. Lif is a rapper that likes to rap about issued in the country, government, and things of that nature. He doesn't use too much language that people will find offensive, and some of his rhymes are pure genius. Here's one of his songs that deals a lot with current issues; such as the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the Taliban, the Northern Alliance, police brutality, etc. The title of the track is 'Home of the Brave,' and I strongly suggest everyone in this thread listen to this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzvFYaWej0M

Like it? Well, I know I do. It's got a simple beat that is both original, but doesn't get annoying to the point of being droll like a lot of unique beats from experimenting. He touched on some good points, and even used some good comical means to express them.

Now we're switching things up. The next rapper also focuses on major issued in the world, but he takes a much more extreme approach. By extreme I mean he uses much more language, and has a much more aggressive sound to his voice. He also uses a lot more language than most rappers, but there is no denying Immortal Technique, the next rapper, is one of the best rappers alive. I'm going to post one of his songs from his latest album, 3rd World, but I'm also going to post 'A Dance With The Devil,' which is, in my opinion, one of the best rap songs ever. (Be warned when listening to Immortal Technique though, he uses some very strong language.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRvFzPkFUm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDoCWG7dFXI

The first video, 3rd World, discusses poverty a lot, and how the relationships between Africans and Caucasians has changed, and how life for so many is cold and bitter. The second video, however, is a story. I know, I know; the song is extremely long, but if you ever have the time to listen to the entire thing then please do. The song is so emotional, and made me really sad when I listened to it. That's the first time a rap song, nay, a song in general has ever done that to me. I'm not going to explain what the story is about, since that would spoil the whole song.

Lets head back to some mainstream stuff, but some damned good mainstream stuff. Well, not really... since it was mainstream in the 90s, really. The next song is legendary amongst fans of the hip-hop community. Juicy, by Biggie Smalls (The Notorious B.I.G.) is a classic, and talks mostly about life in the ghetto of New York City; and growing up in the ghetto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA-aKQXNBoc

Really, that song has some sweet lines in it. All you gamers will like the line including to 16-bit systems from the 90s. It's a simple song with a simple beat, but it really does have a good point and has some great comparisons to early life and later life.

Well, this thread doesn't really need to go on any longer, so I'm just going to w"rap" it up. Firstly, I don't hate mainstream rap; some of it is actually quite enjoyable. Secondly, if you liked any of this music, then just Youtube some more videos by these rappers and enjoy. I highly recommend looking up the track list for Emergency Rations, by Mr. Lif, and listening to that entire album cover to back. I'm such a Mr. Lif fanboy it's not even funny. And, lastly, I missed about 100 amazing rappers here. Check out Jay Z, Lupe Fiasco, Fabulous, Eminem, Aesop Rock, Mos Def, Tupac, Ice Cube, Nas, Kanye West, and many more. I hope I changed some people's opinions on rap. It's not all drugs and sex and beer, etc. There is rap that is extremely good and lots of artists that make great points on their political opinions in their songs. Don't stereotype rap to Soulja Boy.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:12 AM
pseudopseudo Offline
Banned

Default Re: Do you hate rap? Well get your notebooks out.

I support and agree with your points.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:13 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Good job. Also

Quote:
Well, this thread doesn't really need to go on any longer, so I'm just going to w"rap" it up.
NICE!!!

Hi

Old 09-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Doesn't change my opinion on rap at all, I have my reasons for disliking it.

I can tolerate rap that actually means something, like early 90's 'gangster' rap, but that's only to a very limited extent. All this new 'crunk' **** is retarded.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:11 AM
Poring Offline

Send a message via AIM to Poring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller View Post
Doesn't change my opinion on rap at all, I have my reasons for disliking it.
reasons plx

TC is a winner.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:23 AM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

Shutup, their is no winners based on a persons opinion, people can thing what they want.

This thread is jsut screaming for another clash of the stereotypes. Have a nice teen flame-war.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:26 AM
Ridley Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ridley

REESE'S PUFFS

REESE'S PUFFS

PEANUT BUTTUH CHOCOLATE FLAVUHHHH

You all know you've heard it before!!
Old 09-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig

After reading this, some of my opinions have changed about rap music. I knew it was'nt ALL about money, sex, rape, etc., but I did'nt know about 'underground rap,' and I thought most all rap was 'Mainstream rap,' and very little of it was'nt about drugs, women, etc. I still am no fan of rap though. I personally do not like the music as much as the other music I listen to. I agree with many of your points though.

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Old 09-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Stardy Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Stardy

No Mention to Family Force 5? ):
They are a pretty awesome underground rap group. Well, when they rap. Most of their stuff is basicly Alternative (Or however the hell you spell it.), but they do have a rap song from time to time. :L

Numb - Family Force 5
I couldn't find a version without the weird chorus, and just the normal song. But w/e. s:

But apart from that, great post dude. ;P

Stardy = awesome

Last edited by Stardy; 09-21-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Poring Offline

Send a message via AIM to Poring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masami View Post
Shutup, their is no winners based on a persons opinion, people can thing what they want.

This thread is jsut screaming for another clash of the stereotypes. Have a nice teen flame-war.
TC wasn't being very rude. His post was polite, and informative. No name-calling or whatever. I'm sure PE2K can converse like real, civilized people.

Quote:
REESE'S PUFFS

REESE'S PUFFS

PEANUT BUTTUH CHOCOLATE FLAVUHHHH
I lol'd.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:52 PM
buizel22 Offline

i love rap and nice songs mostly the notorious b.i.g.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Nirvash Offline

Send a message via AIM to Nirvash

DO THE IMPOSSIBLE
SEE THE INVISIBLE
i
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

TOUCH THE UNTOUCHABLE
BREAK THE UNBREAKABLE

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH
Old 09-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Shozuka Offline

Send a message via AIM to Shozuka Send a message via Yahoo to Shozuka

NaS is the only rapper I listen to.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:44 PM
faceplant527 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to faceplant527 Send a message via Yahoo to faceplant527

i love rap. its awesome. you just dont like the music you dont gotta go around bad mouthing it. thats annoying. i hate country with a pation. like "she thinks my tractor is sexy" that is stupid. i hate confederates. they are racist and ignorant. (iam white) and it still bothers me. they think they can split from the union. we would just destroy them again. but i love rap. some songs are just catchy and funn.

three 6 mafia
mop
aotp
project pat
dj khaled
50 cent
lil wayne
bird man

love em all

| Links | RIP Ryan |

マンチェスターユナイテッド

Old 09-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceplant527 View Post
i love rap. its awesome. you just dont like the music you dont gotta go around bad mouthing it. thats annoying. i hate country with a pation. like "she thinks my tractor is sexy" that is stupid. i hate confederates. they are racist and ignorant. (iam white) and it still bothers me. they think they can split from the union. we would just destroy them again. but i love rap. some songs are just catchy and funn.
Dude, what the hell are you ranting about? There is no Confederacy or Union anymore. There are racist people, yes, but you cannot just label them all to be 'confederates.' That's pretty much all I could gather from that post, seeing how I couldn't read most of it.