Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Why you shouldn't buy from Gamestop or EB Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Espeon View Post
I actually happen like GameStop, myself. I've bought quite a number of used games and all of have worked perfectly fine. And really now, who cares If they don't come with their boxes or manuals? Given the game has a tutorial level, and an opening that explains the story(which they most likely do), they're pretty useless. And I've never had someone pester me about If I should buy the game used or If I want a subscription or anything like that. Mind you I always wasted my money and never really cared about saving It, so I suppose I can't necessarily relate to the people who got "ripped off", but for me It's just another day money wasting as usual(I tend to just mooch off of people most of the time, anyway). And I never saw any unfair pricing on used games, unless 14.99 for an old GBA game and a DS game for 16.-something game that's out of and print and was released a year ago(Mega Man Star Force: Dragon version, In case I may have confused someone about that "out of print after a year" thing) are bad prices... >_> But meh, I never sold any of my games anyway, and If I did I don't really care If I got less than half the price for them. =p

But If people want to make somewhat big deals about how they could save five dollars on something by buying It on the Internet(with shipping and handling charges, too, most likely)than buying It at GameStop, that's all fine and dandy with me. 'Tis all a matter of personal preference and all that. :x
I was actually quite aware that Gamestop thrives on apathy such as yours, yes. When a game doesn't come with its original boxes and manuals, that's fine. If they charge you as though it does (usually games without boxes and manuals cost a couple of bucks cheaper than those with), then there is a problem, because they're overcharging.

They always pester me about reservations for games, but that's about. I don't like the fact that they blatantly LIE about things just to get reservations, though. It's one thing to say that a game is guaranteed if reserved (even if it's just 48 hours, though we all know that a week should be the correct number), it's another to pester the customer, saying that the release will be sold out immediately, etc. It's seen them do that many times on games like Madden. It's freaking Madden! I can't walk 5 steps without seeing Madden on its release date! That kind of business is not one I'd like to see.

In terms of unfair pricing, it's just simply be savvy at spending. Honestly, the best deal may or may not be at Gamestop, but if you don't shop around, it's against your interest to do so. 5 bucks may not be a lot, but 5 bucks can pile up to give you a new game that you otherwise wouldn't be able to buy.

Besides that point, I'm not going into your spending habits. Unlike you, my expenses are enormous already, and saving 5 bucks on a game is equivalent to saving money for a meal. That, to me, is highly significant. Personal preference aside, why NOT support a local gaming store? My local gaming store gives me discounts all the time for like everything. I even get to do consignment (I leave a game for them to sell, we split the profit afterwards) with them, giving us both a nice chunk of cash that otherwise wouldn't have been possible with Gamestop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
I'm an Aussie, never heard of Gamestop. EB Games, we have.

EB Games is... Bloody overrated. My Brother has ordered in Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3. Go in on the due date, No it's been bloody pushed back another 2 weeks.
Yeah. I don't know... They don't have a massive surplus of games and if they do, they're bloody over priced and expensive.

But then again, cheap stores like K-Mart or Target, who have bazillions of copies of one game, are sometimes more expensive than EB Games or something.

I look around in the Game Traders shop around the back of my local shopping centre, it has a smaller variety of games, since they're the ones people chucked out, but they're cheap! :P
I just say that getting the game cheap to either rip EB Games off, or getting the game somewhere else because it's cheaper helps make EB Games go down the drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poring View Post
I liked GameCrazy. They had much better customer service compared to GameStop, and they had a lot of old games I couldn't find. I don't even think their trade deals were that bad. But there's no Hollywood Video where I live now, so no GameCrazy. I should have bought Mario Paint back then. <_<

But yeah, GameStop's not that good. I can never find the games I want at Target or Wal-Mart or Best Buy, though, so I'm stuck with them.
Service is a good reason not to go to Gamestop, yes. XD

Seriously, I bought Disgaea 2 for 25 bucks brand new at Toys R Us when EB Games was still selling them for 50 (almost new, it's with that stupid unsealed "new" game that I always refuse to buy) or 35 for used. I get a new game 10 bucks cheaper than a used game. Yay! :3
Old 09-15-2008, 05:47 PM
George Jefferson Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to George Jefferson Send a message via MSN to George Jefferson Send a message via Yahoo to George Jefferson Send a message via Skype™ to George Jefferson

I don't have much video game stores around where I live.

******* bloody outrage it is.

But, Gamestop's the only place I buy my fighting gayms or RPGs, as the town next door doesn't have much games except for mainstream ****.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Poring Offline

Send a message via AIM to Poring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Hardy View Post
I don't have much video game stores around where I live.

******* bloody outrage it is.

But, Gamestop's the only place I buy my fighting gayms or RPGs, as the town next door doesn't have much games except for mainstream ****.
Garage sale season is a good time to find games. I got an SNES, two controllers, and Super Mario World a couple years ago for $8. Same with trash day, too. I found a few DS games in people's garbage.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Snake Bite Offline
Elite Trainer

There is a flea market who will give you CASH EQUAL to the amount that they buy the game for. And you can return it if it does not work OR if you dont like it. There games are like alot cheaper then gamestop to. It is awsome.

Although, they had the wii fit for 300 dollars and the wii for 450.

I luckly got my wi-fit at gamestop one day.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:36 PM
George Jefferson Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to George Jefferson Send a message via MSN to George Jefferson Send a message via Yahoo to George Jefferson Send a message via Skype™ to George Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poring View Post
Garage sale season is a good time to find games. I got an SNES, two controllers, and Super Mario World a couple years ago for $8. Same with trash day, too. I found a few DS games in people's garbage.
Please, come live over here, and tell me that again. I need a good laugh.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:49 PM
-Zodeon Offline

Sounds really shoddy,

Here in the U.K we have amazing trade in prices. You get up to about £20 for some games and even £7 or so for the bad ones.

0989 7772 7033
Old 09-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

I'm going to check the trade in prices for EB Games and the Game Traders store around my area, I want to get rid of Spyro: The Eternal Night (Seriously. WORST DS GAME EVER.) and get another Final Fantasy game! I'm really enjoying those!

With the quality of the second hand games you can buy, well, almost all stores now offer a refund price if they don't work, or suddenly stop working for no reason! I got Spyro as a second hand game and I asked the guy over the counter how good the quality of second hand games are, he basically said that DS cartridges are invincible, you can't scratch them like CD's or anything, they're really good, rare chances of getting a bummed game.

Yeah, my EB Games store has a good refund policy. 7 day test, so if you really didn't think the game was what you thought it was, you can get a refund. Scratched disc refunds and replacements, etc. etc. I think it's good. :/

The Brood is growing!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 AM
SiberianTiger Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Send a message via AIM to SiberianTiger

omfg, that guy is my ******* hero.

~Isaiah

URPG Stats Gone In Sixty Seconds
Legendary Traitor
[22:48] Zinata360: I got my avvie done
[22:49] Zinata360: May Norman, she'll eat your babies.
[22:49] TigerintheArk: Dude, that so fails. Doesn't fit at all.
[22:49] Zinata360: Fine, what should I make it say?
[22:49] Ultramr101: May Norman, she'll have your babies.
Ask Me To Ref
Old 09-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Lonsie Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Lonsie

*Currently has store credit at Gamestop* >.<

[ BFF ~ Draconic Espeon ]
URPG | Shizen no Senshi | VPP
Old 09-16-2008, 11:37 PM
PokeGamer Offline
Master Trainer

I Live In Quebec And there is And EB Games And Gamestop In The same Mall.I Go there to buy my XBOX And GBA Games Cheap.

I Wish They would sell retro Games
Old 09-18-2008, 07:32 PM
George Jefferson Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeGamer View Post
I Live In Quebec And there is And EB Games And Gamestop In The same Mall.I Go there to buy my XBOX And GBA Games Cheap.

I Wish They would sell retro Games
This is the only post I've seen that you've made an actual post that pertains to the topic.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Alana Marie Offline

Never had a problem with EB games.
But I want to go murder the people at my local gamestop -.-"
Not only do they have bad service (one of the clerks hit on me once and i got freaked out and left without the game i wanted to buy xD) But they are unfair.
I went there once to to trade in like 20 games, all of them i had bought new for like atleast $20 each.
I got $15 worth of credit. and the oldest one was a year old. Dude i was so pissed.
Plus they give you credit for their store only. And if you want cash they like deduct money from it. Lame
My gamestop has like, all teenagers and Old people working at it. The teenagers are annoying and dont do anything (o.o okay i admit my kind'teeanger' are annoying) and the old people try adn stike a conversation with you when you are trying to buy a game and get to chorus practice >.>
Gamestop is a nono for me.
I need a better game store near my house
Old 09-18-2008, 08:05 PM
PokeGamer Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Hardy View Post
This is the only post I've seen that you've made an actual post that pertains to the topic.
Are you from retrojunk forums Man!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 PM
pseudopseudo Offline
Banned

I think it's pretty clever how they make all that money; however, I do think that trading games in is dumb for those horrible prices. Even if I'll probably never play the game, I like to keep games just in case and maybe because I have a "collector" mentality. Props to Gamestop and EBGames to ripping off people so cleverly and props to those who don't fall for it.

Last edited by pseudopseudo; 09-18-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Shadow Eevee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Well, Gamestop has me angry at a lot of things, which I'll put in lists:

-In 2005, iirc, they said 'We accept SNESs and NESs' or something, so I traded mine in, and they said they didn't. :/ They denied the sign existed.
-A month back, a man was hogging the line, just rambling on and on about video games, and the line became like 7 or 8 people, and a little girl accidentally bumped into him, and then the man got ticked off at her, and the employee doesn't do anything.
-They gave me a Mario Kart: Double Dash!! which didn't work. :/
-They let their customers get shoved by random people.
-I've heard conversations about Zero Suit Samus among the workers. When a Soccer Mom family was buying PMD 2, she heard the conversation, and got into a hissy fit. And they denied everything.
-They gave me 6 dollars for 4 games around 30 dollars each.
-They denied Mario Super Sluggers existed, a few days after it's release date, yet they advertised it weeks before.

But yeah, I only buy from there only so it won't turn into another shoe store.