Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 09-15-2008, 01:55 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Why you shouldn't buy from Gamestop or EB Games

WhistleBlowerZero made a series of flash videos on youtube detailing the terribleness of Gamestop and EB Games. If you aren't aware of their profit cycles, it's time you do.

Quite honestly, you should support your own "mom and pops" video game shop of your choice. I've done it, and only shop at EB Games during the times when there's some form of pre-release awesome bonus (WHY? WHY????). But even if you do buy at EB Games, never trade in, and buy new. At least the bulk of the money will go to your developer of choice. :3
Old 09-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Nirvash Offline

Send a message via AIM to Nirvash
Default Re: Why you shouldn't buy from Gamestop or EB Games

They ripped me off. I traded in like 3 games, and next time we went in, they said I didn't have any credit.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:15 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Wow, the first video is already being taken out. I can't find it from there anymore. D:

In any case, if they ripped you off, don't buy from there. I swear if you have access to anything else, do it. A&C Vintage Games helps me out often. ;)
Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 AM
Nirvash Offline

Send a message via AIM to Nirvash

Yea, I try not to buy there anymore. If it comes to it, I might as well shop online. The last time I actually bought from EBGames/Gamestop would have to be Pokemon Diamond. :3
Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Well if it's a big release like diamond and Pearl, just go to Best Buy/Target/etc. They'll definitely have a large surplus anyways. The only time when I can think that Gamestop would be a "good idea" is if you don't have a place to get the niche games. For example, no store carries Disgaea 3. I also see that there is a freebie for fallout 3 (the CD). What do I do? I put my preorder for fallout 3, get the soundtrack, then decide that I want Disgaea 3 instead and move my pre-order there accordingly. Net result is me getting a freebie for free (like it should have been), and getting a game that otherwise I wouldn't be able to get regularly.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Ultima Boss Offline

Though Wal-Mart, and stores alike, sell their games for cents cheaper, it wouldn't make a significant difference.

But yes, I have a place I trade in my used games. At least they give you more for your money than Gamestop would (Entertainmart). Then again, they're in the business of used games, systems, and accessories. It's rare you see a new game there, unless it's highly demanded.

I suppose Gamestop tries to make money off both, which works well on the surface (advertisement)?

The only time I would shop at Gamestop would be great pre-order deals, I didn't want to pay in a one full payment, or they're the only place who carries a certain game *one could hope not*.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:47 AM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig

I just sell my games on Half.com. I get easily 6 or 7 seven dollars for each. Not the 1.00 that you get at GameCrazy or GameStop. I do shop at GameStop, but not enought to make a difference. I buy most of my new video games at Target.

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Old 09-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

I haven't had any problems with Gamestop used games. I admit, their prices for trading in games kinda suck, but really it doesn't matter. If I have game to sell, I sell it to a friend or on craigslist. Not to mention that it's the only major gaming store out there.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:28 AM
DragoniteMistress Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to DragoniteMistress Send a message via Yahoo to DragoniteMistress

Don't get me started on GameStop :/

I traded in three GBA games and two PS2 games, and only got $4 worth of credit.

I think Cooking Mama for the DS was worth it, but please. Give me my money's worth next time.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:31 AM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoniteMistress View Post
Don't get me started on GameStop :/

I traded in three GBA games and two PS2 games, and only got $4 worth of credit.

I think Cooking Mama for the DS was worth it, but please. Give me my money's worth next time.
If it's such a bad deal, why did you trade them in?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:37 AM
DragoniteMistress Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to DragoniteMistress Send a message via Yahoo to DragoniteMistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post
If it's such a bad deal, why did you trade them in?
Because I was dumb enough to not consider the other video gaming store fifteen minutes away, and was being rushed by an errand-obsessed mother.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:01 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima Boss View Post
Though Wal-Mart, and stores alike, sell their games for cents cheaper, it wouldn't make a significant difference.

But yes, I have a place I trade in my used games. At least they give you more for your money than Gamestop would (Entertainmart). Then again, they're in the business of used games, systems, and accessories. It's rare you see a new game there, unless it's highly demanded.

I suppose Gamestop tries to make money off both, which works well on the surface (advertisement)?

The only time I would shop at Gamestop would be great pre-order deals, I didn't want to pay in a one full payment, or they're the only place who carries a certain game *one could hope not*.
Funny thing: Advance Wars (Days of Ruin) was 5 dollars cheaper in walmart than the EB Games just across the parking lot. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes there IS a major difference even in new and hot titles.

For the exclusive pre-order deals (like free stuff), I can't think of a way outside of Gamestop either. If you really need to pay for games in separate installments, just work a deal out with your local gaming shop. Seriously, I do this for that PS3 I'll eventually get. There is no game that they would be the only place to carry, if you know of even a single mom/pops video game store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post
I haven't had any problems with Gamestop used games. I admit, their prices for trading in games kinda suck, but really it doesn't matter. If I have game to sell, I sell it to a friend or on craigslist. Not to mention that it's the only major gaming store out there.
Use Gamestop only if you can get massive deals on it. Sometimes they sell rare games for peanuts. Zone of the Enders for 5 bucks? I feel like I'm ripping them off, even though they're making 5 bucks off me. :-/ At least I FEEL like I'm ripping them off. x3
Old 09-15-2008, 04:08 AM
Neon_Espeon Offline
Elite Trainer

(God, I hate It when people talk so quickly like that... >_>)

I actually happen like GameStop, myself. I've bought quite a number of used games and all of have worked perfectly fine. And really now, who cares If they don't come with their boxes or manuals? Given the game has a tutorial level, and an opening that explains the story(which they most likely do), they're pretty useless. And I've never had someone pester me about If I should buy the game used or If I want a subscription or anything like that. Mind you I always wasted my money and never really cared about saving It, so I suppose I can't necessarily relate to the people who got "ripped off", but for me It's just another day money wasting as usual(I tend to just mooch off of people most of the time, anyway). And I never saw any unfair pricing on used games, unless 14.99 for an old GBA game and a DS game for 16.-something game that's out of and print and was released a year ago(Mega Man Star Force: Dragon version, In case I may have confused someone about that "out of print after a year" thing) are bad prices... >_> But meh, I never sold any of my games anyway, and If I did I don't really care If I got less than half the price for them. =p

But If people want to make somewhat big deals about how they could save five dollars on something by buying It on the Internet(with shipping and handling charges, too, most likely)than buying It at GameStop, that's all fine and dandy with me. 'Tis all a matter of personal preference and all that. :x

Last edited by Neon_Espeon; 09-15-2008 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

I'm an Aussie, never heard of Gamestop. EB Games, we have.

EB Games is... Bloody overrated. My Brother has ordered in Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3. Go in on the due date, No it's been bloody pushed back another 2 weeks.
Yeah. I don't know... They don't have a massive surplus of games and if they do, they're bloody over priced and expensive.

But then again, cheap stores like K-Mart or Target, who have bazillions of copies of one game, are sometimes more expensive than EB Games or something.

I look around in the Game Traders shop around the back of my local shopping centre, it has a smaller variety of games, since they're the ones people chucked out, but they're cheap! :P

The Brood is growing!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Poring Offline

Send a message via AIM to Poring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudkipboi View Post
Not the 1.00 that you get at GameCrazy or GameStop..
I liked GameCrazy. They had much better customer service compared to GameStop, and they had a lot of old games I couldn't find. I don't even think their trade deals were that bad. But there's no Hollywood Video where I live now, so no GameCrazy. I should have bought Mario Paint back then. <_<

But yeah, GameStop's not that good. I can never find the games I want at Target or Wal-Mart or Best Buy, though, so I'm stuck with them.