Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Other Chat

Other Chat For non-Pokemon discussion on everything else. For casual talk only, any more serious topics such as current events, should be in the Discussion. You can talk about anything else that is not covered in the other "Other Boards" that are above.

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the Holy Bible?
Yes, 75%-100% of it 28 41.18%
Some of it, 45%-70% of it 7 10.29%
Not really, 15%-40% of it 15 22.06%
None of it, 0% of it 18 26.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Send a message via AIM to Seawolf
Default Re: Do You Believe In the Holy Bible?

I read it a long time ago, and I may not remember much, but I do remember reading some passages that I found to be sexist. That's just my opinion, though.

Just as a reminder to everyone, go ahead and keep the discussion going, but please avoid flaming other members.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:30 AM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megumi View Post
I read it a long time ago, and I may not remember much, but I do remember reading some passages that I found to be sexist. That's just my opinion, though.

Just as a reminder to everyone, go ahead and keep the discussion going, but please avoid flaming other members.
Though, in the time period in which it was written those views of sexism did not exist in the forms that they have taken today, you have to keep that in mind when you read such a dated book.

I believe between 40-75% of it, mainly because it contradicts itself.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:46 AM
DarkAmethyst Offline

Send a message via MSN to DarkAmethyst

True. The Bible was written over 2000 years ago; what we would consider 'sexist' they knew nothing about then.

@Meaty: I have no comment for the first three, since I don't pay all to much attention to mentions of fossils and actually have no clue about the pillars. But..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaty View Post
4) The light of the Universe and the flat earth's dimensions in the Bible: Job 37:33 He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven and sends it to the ends of the earth.
I took the time to look up each scripture you used; there is no Job 37:33. Sure that wasn't a typo?

Quote:
5) The Earth has corners?

Isaiah 11:12
12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH. (KJV)

Revelation 7:1
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (KJV)
The term 'four corners of the earth' used here does not necessarily mean as it's phrased. The Bible is simply talking about the four ocean highs of the world, where, as in the quoted scripture, Rev. 7:1 it is prophesied that four angels are to come and halt the four winds, which, according to some reasearch are currently creating some sort of friction on the surface of the ocean's water and creating some sort of major jetstream(s) that could possibly result in massive tidal waves.

Quote:
6) The Earth has ends?

Job 38:13
13 That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? (KJV)

Jeremiah 16:19
19 O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ENDS OF THE EARTH, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit. (KJV)

Daniel 4:11
11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH: (KJV)
I don't know about the last part of the first verse, but from reading the above verse that goes along with it, He was speaking of the dawn, which, if you think about it, rises from the 'ends' or sides of the earth, which would make it seems as though it was 'taking hold' of it.

The term ends of the earth when used in all three simply means 'all parts of the earth', meaning that whatever was ocurring (the dawn arriving, the people coming, the prophesy of the tree in the middle of the earth) could be seen or came from all parts of region of the world.

Quote:
7) The Earth doesn't move, according to the Bible:

Psalm 104:5
He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.

Ecclesiastes 1:5
The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises
The foundations it speaks of is like.. a sense of 'spiritual stability' that He has chosen to place it in, where no forces of evil shall be able to reckon with it. (Best way I could put it; really hard to explain )

In Heaven, there is practically no time, so it's basically like the earth never moves. A day here is a full century there. There is no time like there is here.

Quote:
Conclusion:

The Bible not only failed to claim that the Earth was egg-shaped, but it also claimed in numerous verses as shown above that the Earth is flat, has Edges, has Four Corners, has Pillars, and has Foundations. As I said above, no unbiased person would deny the obvious and embarrassing quotes above. Only the desperate biased Jews and Christians would. (no offence)
The Bible was not written to prove scientifical discoveries and statements. It was given by God to instruct the Jews and Gentiles on how to live according to His word and to inform those in the future generations of prophecies that He gave His apostles and disciples, and of the miracles and works that He performed. Some of the mistaken terms used either mean something entirely different or are used to represent something.

"There is no hope of winning unless you fight."

Old 09-04-2008, 04:49 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_fire View Post
True. The Bible was written over 2000 years ago; what we would consider 'sexist' they knew nothing about then.
Tom Sawyer was written in a different time. It doesn't make its racist connotations less racist. It's true that ideas like that change over time, but it's not like they're not, in retrospect, sexist at the core.

Hi

Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Team Pokemon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Team Pokemon Send a message via MSN to Team Pokemon
Post Re: Do You Believe In the Holy Bible?

I don't know whether the bible is real or not, but I believe that the whole Christ story wants to tell us that people have tthe ability to do great stuff if they are pure and honest, something that we haven't realised yet, and that too much material wealth is useless and harming.

AIM: Tomato Kitsos
Old 09-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Freddy Fro Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
There are plenty of sexist thing in the bibles.

I mean, women are property. How is that not sexist?

If it were really the word of god wouldn't it be true though? Since the bible is supposivly only God's words, and no one elses then God is saying the earth is flat. =P
Please read the rest of my post before you come up with silly comments.

Fro~

PS: Everyone please direct their attention to Angel Fire, they got that part covered.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:34 PM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
No -- The Bible really has no influence over me. I have read it, and I understand it about as well as any non-theologian does. It's ridiculous that anyone who doesn't believe in The Bible's teachings is immediately accused of having never read it.
Those who make ridiculous, false claims regarding it most likely haven't read it.

Also, I love Meathead's tough-girl attitude. Keep it coming!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 AM
O-suchin the Magikarp Offline
Experienced Trainer

I do not believe in the Bible.

I'll believe there is a reason to believe when I see.

But that's my opinion.

~Octahedron~

Made By: Wisp
Old 09-06-2008, 02:02 AM
Apocrypha Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Apocrypha

Yes, it's the 100% TRUTH.

^ Epic banner made by Anastasia-R ^
Old 09-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Hypocrisy is Fun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Hypocrisy is Fun

I believe it exists, and I believe it has a very good message to it. It promotes peace, and thats a good thing.

Jesus did exist, and I believe he performed miracles. You can't really put a percentage on that.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Legal Reaper Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Legal Reaper

No I don't, nor do I believe in the Quaran. To me, it's as much of a story book as Mother Goose. However, I do believe in the teachings of Sidhartha Guatama, which you may know as Buddha. I do not believe in his as a god, but rather as a leader. He had no powers, but he did have a very smart head on his shoulders. In my opinion, it's not really a religion, more of a guidebook on how to live your life and treat others. Instead of "if you sin you shall be cast into the firey pits of hell!".
Old 09-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Skottles Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Skottles

I guess i can say I believe in some of it but im not all that religous
Old 09-07-2008, 03:33 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I haven't read the bible, but since I don't specifically believe in the religious connotations of it (I believe in the possibility of the religious parts being true, but until someone proves it I'm not going to pass judgement). I do, however, agree with some of it's teachings, though not all of them. Take, for instance, the Ten Commandments. While I absolutely DO NOT believe that God would be insistent on being the only one who is worshipped to the point of banishing anyone who doesn't do so to hell, or that he would send people to hell just for using his name in vain, I absolutely agree that one should not murder, or steal, or be envious of another. I believe in honoring your parents (ignoring the actual wording because my father deserves no honor, the rat bastard *spits on the floor at his memory). Adultery is absolutely wrong, although again I don't think it's hell-worthy. If I got any of that wrong, don't blame me, I just looked it up on Wikipedia.

In short, about twenty percent, give or take. And again, nothing religious.

Fun Fact: Everyone's going to hell. It's against the rules to work on the Sabbath, but at some point in everyone's life they will have almost definitely worked on Sunday. "I didn't mean to God! My homework was due on Monday and I fell behind!"

Last edited by Lord Fedora; 09-07-2008 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Yep, I've read it and believe it.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Yep, I've read it and believe it.
Neo, can I just take this time to mention that your banner is made of awesomecake drenched in awesomesauce?